ARK Digest Q&A! (no longer accepting questions)

Jatheish

We already have many skins for armors, items and creatures (Bionic, bones...). As many other games have done, will you create skin packs? 

You have people working on new looks for the old dinos, so after TLC pass and the next DLC they could work on skins for creatures? This way players could get more diversity as they are looking for more creatures,  but without having to create fully new creatures. Visual reskin don't change the game mechanics or stats so it wouldn't be a pay-to-win if you offer skin packs. 

Many possibilities:

More bionic skins to give a scifi look, maybe zombies skins too ? And event skins (christmas, halloween, summer holidays...) 

Skins that change the species (like megaloceros and Reindeer), for example:

Sarcosuchus->Deinosuchus, alligator-like

Pteranodon->Pterodactyl, without the crest

Troodon-> Velociraptor, more feathers, longer head

Para->Lambeosaurus, with a different crest

Saber-> Dinofelis, a panther like cat with smaller teeth. 

Do you think some skin packs like that could be done or is WC against (paid) skin packs ? 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FANTASTIC JOB on TLC pass one, but it left me with some questions;

What are your plans/date for the Wyvern tek Armour?

Plans for Sabretooth to get it's own TLC abilities? It got sort of jipped.

Will the Hive/Swarm ever be added to SE/AB in the style that the phoenix was added? maybe plans for Extinction then? or was it totally scrapped? (epic creature BTW)

While the caves have been cemented as a challenge for ages will we ever see some sort of decrease in spawns? There always seems to be an absurd amount of creatures clumped everywhere.

Are the AI  TLC changes such as sleep cycles and sensory based aggression still on the table?

Will the liopleurodon get its own TLC?

Have you ever considered a tek saddle for the diplo? If you did what sort of things would you like to see the tek saddle do?

Would it be like the ultrasaurus from zoids, with insane damage and a very long reload, would it have multiple gunner stations, or would it protect the rider and focus on some sort of melee/tek damage/knockback attack?

• Volunteer Moderator
On 2/16/2018 at 8:26 PM, Scaroleo85 said:

When are the on ground meshes going to be added?

Already answered there: https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/1290691308591569662/#c1290691308591692705

9 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

have you played recently? tons of resources have on-ground meshes now. oil, narcotics, pearls, wood, thatch, stone, obsidian, metal, metal ingots, the different meats, most resources have a mesh now

Except for Pearls, all of them are regular bags.

3 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Except for Pearls, all of them are regular bags.

can i post screenshots here so i can prove you wrong?

let's try this

Spoiler

704F0D94C4846A2A99A5BF77EF17EAF13027E7A9 (1360×768)

oh hey, that worked. Here we have the item mesh for oil. no, i don't know where the barrel came from, yes, i run on Savoroot settings.

Spoiler

263D110A99B1F2216DBD38E0435E45E474C7842F (1360×768)

here we have cooked prime meat

Spoiler

51D91E786327AE59DC9C340D2781E6E96DA67E73 (1360×768)

here's where i first discovered item meshes.

Spoiler

unknown.png

here we have raw meat, not my pic, as you can tell.

Spoiler

unknown.png?width=584&height=469

here we have berries, unfortunately they all share this mesh, but it's still better than a box

Spoiler

i have no idea how to unspoiler

Well, i think i proved my point, and there are more meshes then i showed here. Thatch, narcotics, rare mushrooms, probably rare flowers, stone, crystal, Metal ingots, and i'm sure there are more to discover.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

that's odd... why would multiple stack mods give items meshes, but not vanilla ARK?

For the reason I linked above:

source

It is not happening any longer, which is why it was removed from the patch notes. Incorporating unique meshes for all items would cause memory to suffer. We had to scratch it based on the grounds of a performance hit if it was added.

3 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

can i post screenshots here so i can prove you wrong?

let's try this

Hide contents

704F0D94C4846A2A99A5BF77EF17EAF13027E7A9 (1360×768)

oh hey, that worked. Here we have the item mesh for oil. no, i don't know where the barrel came from, yes, i run on Savoroot settings.

Reveal hidden contents

263D110A99B1F2216DBD38E0435E45E474C7842F (1360×768)

here we have cooked prime meat

Reveal hidden contents

51D91E786327AE59DC9C340D2781E6E96DA67E73 (1360×768)

here's where i first discovered item meshes.

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png?width=584&height=469

here we have berries, unfortunately they all share this mesh, but it's still better than a box

Reveal hidden contents

i have no idea how to unspoiler

Well, i think i proved my point, and there are more meshes then i showed here. Thatch, narcotics, rare mushrooms, probably rare flowers, stone, crystal, Metal ingots, and i'm sure there are more to discover.

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

here we have raw meat, not my pic, as you can tell.

3 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

have you played recently? tons of resources have on-ground meshes now. oil, narcotics, pearls, wood, thatch, stone, obsidian, metal, metal ingots, the different meats, most resources have a mesh now

Did this come out with the TLC pass? because I play on the xbox and it hasn't updated to the new version yet.

4 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

That's a mod on the server he is playing on; this is not part of the base game.

3 hours ago, GP said:

The only onground item meshes that exist in Vanilla ARK is in Aberration, and that is only during the earthquakes.

ok, then here's a question, why do Silica pearls get an item mesh, but not items dropped by earthquakes? Feces get's a hard pass, sense everything drops it (yes, i know it's not from earthquakes, but still). But silica pearls are only produced by Phoenix, which are an end-game tame

• Volunteer Moderator
53 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

ok, then here's a question, why do Silica pearls get an item mesh, but not items dropped by earthquakes? Feces get's a hard pass, sense everything drops it (yes, i know it's not from earthquakes, but still). But silica pearls are only produced by Phoenix, which are an end-game tame

No idea, only the Devs can answer why exactly the earthquakes drop items with meshes and not when you drop them yourself. Not sure what answer you are looking for from me.

• Volunteer Moderator
40 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

That's like asking why Titans are pooping Massive Feces. They are the only ones that does and they are also end-game. So yeah, since Phonixes poop pearls; they have a mesh. Would make no sense for them to poop boxes, would it? I'm pretty sure they analyzed and profiled the resource cost carefully before scratching them out. I mean, they already have the models ready so there was no reason to not implement them unless they are drastically causing the memory to suffer like they said. If I had to guess, I would say that the earthquakes are using the meshes because they are "controlled" drops. And by controlled I mean that they cannot be flooded by thousands by players trying to make the servers lag and/or crash in worst case. If anything, it would be nice if it was a server option so we could enable them on our servers without mods if we wanted to.

• Jatheish unfeatured, featured, unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived