Thank you for releasing Legacy saves. It's been a good run.

Halcyon

Dear Wildcard, 

Thank you for releasing the legacy saves. I've been working on getting ASC gear made and Dinos selected for aberration, all the while scrapping/salvaging my friend's bases.

Between my spouts of enthusiasm and business, I am assailed by an awful feeling of hopelessness, as if asking "what am I struggling for? I could just stop now and get all of it back on single player, and then some." and notice.... I have spent many weeks raising Gigas to 100% imprint. Every  Dino has history. Every structure has a story. Every geopolitical border had a saga. 

The sentimental value of all that was legacy is powerful. One does not simply let go of that, especially if it brought about friendships older than a year. 

After sleepless nights getting dinos to 100% imprint, and long hours taming, with months of preparation for Bosses, only to be faced with continuous disappointments over the years such as flyer nerfs, platform tame caps, leeds, and such,  I found myself unable to "be arsed" to endeavour such. 

It is why I am happy that I may take my legacy home, and finally create some semblance of certainty and security. A peace of mind that all that I do won't be meta'd out of existence.  

Henceforth, I may bid official multiplayer farewell, and play the game I so love the way I'd like to, flyer nerf undone; free of timers, without the pillaring, the tame cap, the foreign languages on global chat, the constant drama and geopolitical intrigue. I look forward to living on the back of a permanent Titan as a main base. To take my time exploring Ragna, Center, SE and Island, and subsequently aberration, and get to build on the best spots.

Thank you for curing my addiction to multiplayer, and letting me play ARK for what it is:  An excellent game, as opposed to an unhealthy lifestyle. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for those wondering, they are releasing. does not mean they HAVE released.

they did promise this weekend tho.

I too met a lot of friends online. though some left me and deleted me from steam, our hardwork made me appreciate even the thatch walls in the base.

appreciate each and every dino, even dilos tamed at level 20 back when max dino level was 30. I still have a few of those left :P

16 hours ago, Halcyon said:

An excellent game, as opposed to an unhealthy lifestyle.

I can't help but be under the suspicion that, had they added the legacy servers to the new cluster, this statement might not have been made. Either way, I hope you enjoy your mobile base on your local server. Should you decide to come back, I would encourage you to do so without any doubts or worries. I understand that it is human nature to hate change or let go of things we put time and effort on, but sometimes starting fresh can actually turn out to be fun. Especially if you already have experience. Just a thought.

I think its a really dumb idea to release "active" legacy map saves, it will expose everything for example all the pincodes and its very simple to obtain a dump all doors and vault pincodes when you have the savegame.

Yet another nail in the coffin for tribes that want to stick it till the end.

ark-tools.cmd dump TheIsland.ark StorageBox_Huge_C vaults.json

and 2 minutes l8r you have it all server wide.

They already did that joke before ... when they released the shutdown servers save,  guess what the legacy running servers were also backup in the same server/dirs and with a bit of url guessing you get the running legacy 24-08-2017 savegame.

I met alot of great people during betas and built alot of amazing characters and structures over the years. When it all ended we looked forward to our new adventures. I am glad people are getting their old saves back just remember, one who spends their life looking back to where they came from often misses the best parts of where they are going. 

20 hours ago, Pic1 said:

I can't help but be under the suspicion that, had they added the legacy servers to the new cluster, this statement might not have been made. Either way, I hope you enjoy your mobile base on your local server. Should you decide to come back, I would encourage you to do so without any doubts or worries. I understand that it is human nature to hate change or let go of things we put time and effort on, but sometimes starting fresh can actually turn out to be fun. Especially if you already have experience. Just a thought.

19 hours ago, Shadex said:

I met alot of great people during betas and built alot of amazing characters and structures over the years. When it all ended we looked forward to our new adventures. I am glad people are getting their old saves back just remember, one who spends their life looking back to where they came from often misses the best parts of where they are going. 

Yeah, I get that. Which is why I played on EU PVE 77 Island. Was part of the Nova Terrans. The fastest growing and most powerful tribe within the first 2 weeks. Though, mistakes were made in that half the tribe was from my good old legacy server and the other half were new comers who wanted to role because a friend my mine fell inlove with a girl who had powerful friends, and wanted to have them role with us as a tribe.  

When you stick 10 kings and barons into a thatch refugee camp, and have them play the game for 3 days straight with little sleep.... things tend to destabilize. 

Disagreements flared... expensive things were destroyed, powerful Dinos stolen. This brought forth paranoia, one side witch hunting the other.

I once told a friend of mine "A tribe is nothing more than a unilateral marriage agreement amongst heterosexual strangers. A sausage fest is what you make of it." 

Alas, it went downhill and I had it. If that's what people call "living a little" and "not missing out on things", then solace is a sanctuary for my peace of mind. 

Am I discouraged?  Perhaps. But I've seen this happen to so many tribes before. Why did I think it would be any different for mine? 

2 hours ago, Halcyon said:

"A tribe is nothing more than a unilateral marriage agreement amongst heterosexual strangers. A sausage fest is what you make of it."

I disagree. A tribe (in this game) simply represents a team. A team can be strong or weak, depending on its members and their priorities. Now if someone makes the mistake of recruiting total strangers then it almost certainly is going to create a problem of some degree. This is true with any aspect of life. I have always advised against giving new recruits administrative powers within our tribe/guild/team till they have been given enough opportunities to prove themselves.

What I am getting at is, you cannot show one attempt (or a small set of attempts) which failed and tell yourself "I should've known this would happen to me, too!". Taking risks is part of our lives and the outcomes depend on (apart from a small chance of randomness) how calculated said risk really was. It is how I met some really close friends. I hope you still have enough faith to trust me when I say this: You will get very lonely and bored if you try this alone, especially after being in a tribe. Which is why I repeat myself that, if you wish to comeback, don't worry about failures. It might as well turn out to actually be fun doing this a second time. :)

For the Dev's or those in the know, truly in the know; not just guessing or making stuff upo.O

The suspense is killing me....... So are there to be any more Legacy server deletions?  And if so when? There being 200 servers that are ranging in players of  0 to 4 at a time, I think the most players  at one time on a Legacy server I've seen lately was six.. So what is the plan? Is there anything in the pipeline for further Legacy deletions? I just need to know is allO.o

If anyone can answer the above, it would go some way in giving me a little piece of mind, one way or the other.

Thanks for reading

:S

Nobody other than Wildcard staff can tell you when, for sure. What you should expect though is that your server will be re-purposed eventually. They were meant to be doing the re-purposing on a rolling cycle ('a few months' they said initially) so there should be one due around now, but given they're busy with Aberration and other stuff that might have been delayed a bit. There is no official announcement as yet though - when there is, you can probably expect 3x "kill list" topics to appear (one for each hardware platform) that will list the server numbers that will be wiped.

If Legacy is as empty as you suggest though, perhaps they'll do more than they planned if it's basically been abandoned :/

1 hour ago, AngryGamer666 said:

It would be nice to see my Legacy server put back into the loop as i and about 8 others decided to stay there and its now a nice server with loads of land and dinos. I really dont want to see all my hard work destroyed.

The problem is that the people of Wildcard have an extremely difficult time grasping what PvE is. It's why the veteran PvE cluster was separated from the new PvE cluster. All this time and they still haven't figured out that PvP and PvE are two completely different animals and need to be treated differently. Unfortunately, that means that all legacy PvE servers will remain closed off until the people of Wildcard finally kill them off entirely. They will not change their minds. When they're set on a negative they'll ride it through to the bitter end rather then admit they goofed and make things right.

As for when and what servers are on the chopping block next there's really no way to tell. Plenty of highly populated servers were killed off last time. Server population doesn't seem to matter to them. Our own legacy server gets roughly fifty people a day with about a tenth of that being new players according to battlemetrics. And it's not just people resetting timers. It was one of the most popular PvE servers and now it's one of the most popular legacy PvE servers and I wouldn't be surprised to see it on death row when they post the next list.

49 minutes ago, dv8ndie said:

Where did they say they are releasing all the current legacy saves?  I can't find an announcement on the subject other than the one from a few months ago.

Survivor edskelly asks, “Can you make active pve legacy saves available? Many of the people on legacy are just feeding dinos and resetting timers while waiting for their save.”

Certainly, we’ll do a savedata drop of the current PvE legacies this next week, for all platforms.

• Wildcard Community
40 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

The problem is that the people of Wildcard have an extremely difficult time grasping what PvE is. It's why the veteran PvE cluster was separated from the new PvE cluster. All this time and they still haven't figured out that PvP and PvE are two completely different animals and need to be treated differently. Unfortunately, that means that all legacy PvE servers will remain closed off until the people of Wildcard finally kill them off entirely. They will not change their minds. When they're set on a negative they'll ride it through to the bitter end rather then admit they goofed and make things right.

As for when and what servers are on the chopping block next there's really no way to tell. Plenty of highly populated servers were killed off last time. Server population doesn't seem to matter to them. Our own legacy server gets roughly fifty people a day with about a tenth of that being new players according to battlemetrics. And it's not just people resetting timers. It was one of the most popular PvE servers and now it's one of the most popular legacy PvE servers and I wouldn't be surprised to see it on death row when they post the next list.

As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, legacy PVE was also rife with people exploiting duplication methods. As much as PVP and PVE are "different beasts" the difference in game mode does not excuse cheating. This, along with the intent of having the new servers be a blank slate for new and old members, are some of the reasons why legacy PVE servers are their own cluster separate from the new ones.

Archived