Heat waves on the Island?

DarkEliteH2

Just the weirdest phenomenon happened to me while scouting out an Island server...

The sky was a brilliant dusk-orange, but the heat indices were skyrocketing, according to my little indication warning me I was suffering from hyperthermia. I checked the in-game time...11am. No way in hell was it dawn, let alone was it about to turn dark. Ever perplexed, I checked the temperature...

112 Fahrenheit.

What in the world?

Have heat waves been implemented on Island maps? Or was that just an awry glitch?

Its been around for awhile, I don't remember them on legacy servers but these new servers we see them occasionally. Its not like a SE heatwave where the graphics change (just the colors change, you don't get the blurry screen or the red flame icon). This is just a random temperature change with the orange sky effect. I see it maybe once a day on ark, sometimes once every two days.

Might of been from this patch when they changed weather effects, but I honestly have no idea when it was added :P
https://ark.gamepedia.com/263.0

It was on legacy too. The update before the official release implemented them I believe. Our base was in the south and our hatchery was made out of metal so I use to burn through water crazy. I ended up just sporting desert gear any time I was around my base so I wasn't running to drink water every few minutes. 

1 hour ago, DarkEliteH2 said:

Just the weirdest phenomenon happened to me while scouting out an Island server...

The sky was a brilliant dusk-orange, but the heat indices were skyrocketing, according to my little indication warning me I was suffering from hyperthermia. I checked the in-game time...11am. No way in hell was it dawn, let alone was it about to turn dark. Ever perplexed, I checked the temperature...

112 Fahrenheit.

What in the world?

Have heat waves been implemented on Island maps? Or was that just an awry glitch?

A long while back on the Island on weathertop, there used to be a heat spike so intense that you died within 1.50 seconds of being in this particular spot. It was some sort of bug, turns out.

Weather rotates on island server. I think it is counter clockwise and a base value modifier to the actual temperature. And it seems to be attached to the day night cycle. Four rotations, in an area. One day, hot day, medium night, occasional mini flame icon at night.

Next day cycle, medium day, neutral night. Next day cycle, neutral day, cold night. Then cold day and freezing night.

The cold day cycle is most notable in shadows during the day in the southern areas. 

Try charting the temperatures at a set time of day four or six times a day for a four day period in game. 

This info is a bit old, and it may have changed as I tested this over a year ago while living on herbivore island and tested on carno island and Craggs.

It was a predictable pattern then. Not so sure now.

Yeah we do have stealth weather shifting on theisland now days, not sure when it snuck in but I noticed it when playing around on PS4 officials. Orange is the 'heat wave' of sorts and theres also a coldwave where the sky and lighting gets a blue tint and iv seen it dip as low as -9c when on the beach across from death island.

6 hours ago, Brayn said:

Was a bug with billboards.  Any nearby billboards became death zones.

I remember. My character was an all-speed build so I ran up at the speed of funk, immediately demolished it, and the issue was gone. Ended up at about 4 health, but it worked and we were able to actually live in our own base. Good tiiiimes.

Archived