Ark has flaws. But let's not forget it's a great game!

Excellence

I bet we all have had big frustrations with this game at some point and many of you probably still do. I have certainly been one of the frustrated players many times, and sometimes forget all the good things because of it.

As i'm writing this there is still problems with tame limits, server crashes, you name it, and I'm sure they are working on fixing all this as fast as possible while also giving us new content all the time.

SOOO much end game stuff has been added lately that it is almost hard to keep up with the newest bosses and ascension (especially if you are not a big tribe). For all the trouble we have we also get a lot more content and things to do than i have seen in any other game.

Not long ago it was almost not possible to join servers because they were all full 24/7. I almost didn't stop to realize this wasn't a problem anymore myself before i started thinking about the good stuff.

There is a lot of great things about this game we should not forget about because of the problems (which, I get it, feels like a lot sometimes).

Comment the things you love most about this game, and perhaps suggestions to make it even better.

To start out myself i recently found a profound love for the whip and in particular how your character stands when it is active.
I'll let the screenshot explain itself:

20171028012632_1.jpg

IMO ita a game with great potential, but it's made average at best by questionable mechanic decisions,  plenty of bugs, too many missed deadlines ( I don't care about the excuses it shouldn't be so frequent you can rely on it and meme it. ) and honestly a complete lack of professionalism. I can't call this the best survival game I have played/heard of let alone any other kind of 'best'. Soon enough I won't even be able to say its the best dino game because there are some other dino games being worked on that I genuinely think looks better.

I love Ark for the same reason I love any other sandbox game, you are nearly only limited to your imagination for stuff to do. The game is content rich, and even when you get endgame-op as I have after nearly 2 years on official pve, there is still more to do, even more so considering all the other possible playstyles (official pvp/unofficial/mods/etc).

What I love best about Ark, is the early game experience. Nothing beats sitting inside a wooden shack cooking meat on a rainy night while you listen to predators lurking around right outside your door.

3 hours ago, Excellence said:

I bet we all have had big frustrations with this game at some point and many of you probably still do. I have certainly been one of the frustrated players many times, and sometimes forget all the good things because of it.

As i'm writing this there is still problems with tame limits, server crashes, you name it, and I'm sure they are working on fixing all this as fast as possible while also giving us new content all the time.

SOOO much end game stuff has been added lately that it is almost hard to keep up with the newest bosses and ascension (especially if you are not a big tribe). For all the trouble we have we also get a lot more content and things to do than i have seen in any other game.

Not long ago it was almost not possible to join servers because they were all full 24/7. I almost didn't stop to realize this wasn't a problem anymore myself before i started thinking about the good stuff.

There is a lot of great things about this game we should not forget about because of the problems (which, I get it, feels like a lot sometimes).

Comment the things you love most about this game, and perhaps suggestions to make it even better.

To start out myself i recently found a profound love for the whip and in particular how your character stands when it is active.
I'll let the screenshot explain itself:

20171028012632_1.jpg

agreed

It's a great game if you have ten hours a day to play it and have a large active tribe with a big alliance to talk to in party chat and do caves and bosses with and have big wars. 

If you only have two hours to play and are in a small tribe where noone is  on and you can't even do a metal run its the boringest game ever. 

29 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

It's a great game if you have ten hours a day to play it and have a large active tribe with a big alliance to talk to in party chat and do caves and bosses with and have big wars. 

If you only have two hours to play and are in a small tribe where noone is  on and you can't even do a metal run its the boringest game ever. 

You have a very good point. It is definitively for players who can spend a lot of time gaming. But if you do, you gotta love it :)

I play Single Player (local/offline) & enjoy it (& usually play 8 hours a day, 5x a week). Yeah I could see where having others would make it more interesting but after reading a TON of horror stories regarding multiplayer online (lag, servers at cap, rubberbanding, tame caps, pillars, griefers, mega/alpha tribes, drama, etc)... honestly I don't think I would play online even if I could. I enjoy my own little world, I have reign to do whatever. No lag, no caps, no drama, no griefers, no pillars AND best of all none of that stress.

I enjoy making it my own game/story and what to do next or where to go explore with no worries other than wild dinos. And I just started dabbling in breeding.

Suggestion wise-

I am hoping the implementation of S+ solves a lot of the generally clunky building mechanics.

I wish they'd fix the collision/clipping through walls issue, looks like it's been around since the beginning.

Oh and fix the Multiplayer (local/offline) splitscreen as well (won't save characters or progress) as I would sometimes enjoy playing with a friend.

I love this game haven't really been able to get into any other games since I started I've never done bosses or anything like that. I just like to build and tame then i'll find a new server and start over again. I'm not a big tribe there's literally 3 of us. But we all enjoy the game and play almost everyday. Granted I can only play a couple hours a day we get enough done in those few hours to still have fun. There are quit a few times I have played by myself not the most fun but I had things that needed done. I just love the whole concept of this game.

Guest DJRone89
On 29/10/2017 at 3:04 AM, MudPuppy said:

I play Single Player (local/offline) & enjoy it (& usually play 8 hours a day, 5x a week). Yeah I could see where having others would make it more interesting but after reading a TON of horror stories regarding multiplayer online (lag, servers at cap, rubberbanding, tame caps, pillars, griefers, mega/alpha tribes, drama, etc)... honestly I don't think I would play online even if I could. I enjoy my own little world, I have reign to do whatever. No lag, no caps, no drama, no griefers, no pillars AND best of all none of that stress.

I enjoy making it my own game/story and what to do next or where to go explore with no worries other than wild dinos. And I just started dabbling in breeding.

Suggestion wise-

I am hoping the implementation of S+ solves a lot of the generally clunky building mechanics.

I wish they'd fix the collision/clipping through walls issue, looks like it's been around since the beginning.

Oh and fix the Multiplayer (local/offline) splitscreen as well (won't save characters or progress) as I would sometimes enjoy playing with a friend.

You know you can turn off collision in unofficials so you can clip through all terrain and structures right?

Guest DJRone89

I love these kind of posts and unfortunately you don’t see them very often because there is too much negativity surrounding the game despite the fact that there are still so many people playing.

What I enjoy most about this game is the community. I mostly play PvE because I get enough out of this game without the need of a PvP experience (I prefer to play actual shooters for that).

I’m a big fan of building though I haven’t ventured too far from box building but that just means I still have hundreds of hours ahead of me to design and build great structures.

Then we have breeding...

So the game can be played:

1) Single player

2) Local dedicated/Rented dedicated

3) Official servers

Watching the forums it seems almost all complaints are from #3. So it seems for all of the people enjoying the other 2 it is a great game. #3 can be described as an amazing game with server/player issues. As for the players on official servers, let's just put this in black and white. If WC didn't have to spend so much time dealing with the fact that so many players get off on being complete and utter a holes they could spend a lot more time fixing other things about the servers. So congratulations to those players, admit it or not, you are the reason a lot of stuff is taking so long to fix.

Skyrim launched as a buggy, glitchy mess of crap that didn't work to horses flying through the air but where is it now? With the help of the modding community and some time the game will always be considered a genre defining classic. ARK is barely out of beta and I personally find that it is a pretty darn good game. I play on official servers but I also run 3 hosted dedicated servers for my community and I can attest that the game experience is completely different when you are not having to deal with hundreds of immature bullies that will spend their life dedicated to figuring out new ways to ruin things for everyone else.

We want the official experience to get better faster? We want WC to be able to roll out actual bug fixes and server optimizations more quickly. How about we police ourselves and give them a break on having to figure out how to stop the latest basement Napoleon from locking a new customer in a cage and tormenting them because they couldn't find a puppy to kick. Let's just be real and accept the fact that the biggest 'bug' in ARK right now is the playerbase.

My favorite part of this game is when the devs keep the status quo.  Were flyers too OP? What about rafts? How about Flame throwers?  

Ok sure alot of things were maybe too powerful at times, but finding them and using those exploits were part of the fun.  It seems to me whenever they would nerf something they took a bit away from the fun.  But then after I got used to the changes it was usually fine.  I have to admit I don't play any other game, and I haven't for 2 years now!  When I was on official it was a blast, when I play on a dedicated server it's a blast (except for the times that server was corrupted). Even when I have to start over from scratch it's a blast!  I don't think I'd enjoy single player much because it gets a little bit stagnant for me at that point but playing solo on a PVP server where people for the most part of nice is really fun.  I also don't care much for PVE, but that's just because I like that little bit of tension that I feel when I'm pretty safe, but know that it's always possible someone decides to swoop in and kill me. Keeps me on edge LOL.  Playing in a big tribe can be fun, at least at the time where you are trying to build up and become Alpha. But then at some point it always seems that someone or multiple someones from my tribe decide our tribe is ready for full scale PVP and make enemies too soon.

Overall there is nothing like Ark!

Archived