Ark Turkey Trial Event 2017

CrackerJackx13

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coolest part of all these holiday events were the exclusive skins you could get. For the Halloween event you could kill the bone Dino's for the skins. For Thanksgiving you traded in wish bones to get them. Now they just give them out to everyone. I think the holiday events are over as we know it. You can't give out prizes that everyone already has. So either the holiday events will need to be completely reworked or we will continue to get gimped events like this year's Halloween event.

1 hour ago, Dustrider said:

The coolest part of all these holiday events were the exclusive skins you could get. For the Halloween event you could kill the bone Dino's for the skins. For Thanksgiving you traded in wish bones to get them. Now they just give them out to everyone. I think the holiday events are over as we know it. You can't give out prizes that everyone already has. So either the holiday events will need to be completely reworked or we will continue to get gimped events like this year's Halloween event.

Winter Wonderland and its Raptor Claus would like to say hi.

Turkey trial ehh?

Well I'll make up something real quick here.

We should get the fall colors like the older events had, (the yellow and orange trees)
Then we should get two kinds of turkeys
A Aberration variant turkey that spawns at night and glows in the dark and a normal turkey that spawns during the day, both removed (or change model) when it turns day or night.
These turkeys should drop drumsticks and if we kill enough of them, then we can turn them in for..... A animated trophy of a dancing turkey we can place on our bases! (place them on the Artifact pedestal) :P The turkey trophy would change day/night to match its living counterparts between aberration and normal.

The aberration variant turkey should be hostile (at night) only attacking players on foot (and not the players on tames or their tames). I would love to watch players running from a turkey...

Also I know they wanted to simulate shooting them with guns last time, but that was still really annoying with the damage reduction they had. And lets not forget the killer turkeys they added at first then needed to nerf them, the turkeys wiped bases... That was scary since guns are more novelty and only used in boss fights or caves on pve, people don't have them on hand usually.

Unfortunately there's no skins left to give out and people would just complain that there is nothing unique about the event since WC would just rehash the same currently available costumes and skins from achievements into the loot tables whilst creating a highly annoying spawn rate of turkeys wherever the dodos spawn again. 

While I don't mind just hacking them to bits with a sword or fire arrows again, it's not really even worth the time investment anymore since the chieftain hat won't even be a unique status item from wishbone crafting at this rate. 

2 hours ago, Lavincy said:

say just wondering if the turkey will spawn in base on pillar with ceiling? just wondering as im so call new and didnt play in any of the past events

Depends how high your pillar base is. I assume turkeys spawn on the ground. But if your ceilings are close the ground the turkeys could glitch through if they spawn under your pillar base. That's what sometimes happened with carbonemys to me. 

43 minutes ago, AdligerAdler said:

Depends how high your pillar base is. I assume turkeys spawn on the ground. But if your ceilings are close the ground the turkeys could glitch through if they spawn under your pillar base. That's what sometimes happened with carbonemys to me. 

oh god thankyou mine is around 2-3 pillars high only ._.

edit: i hope it dosent glitch into my house lol

9 hours ago, Cataclisto said:

Turkey trial ehh?

Well I'll make up something real quick here.

We should get the fall colors like the older events had, (the yellow and orange trees)
Then we should get two kinds of turkeys
A Aberration variant turkey that spawns at night and glows in the dark and a normal turkey that spawns during the day, both removed (or change model) when it turns day or night.
These turkeys should drop drumsticks and if we kill enough of them, then we can turn them in for..... A animated trophy of a dancing turkey we can place on our bases! (place them on the Artifact pedestal) :P The turkey trophy would change day/night to match its living counterparts between aberration and normal.

The aberration variant turkey should be hostile (at night) only attacking players on foot (and not the players on tames or their tames). I would love to watch players running from a turkey...

Also I know they wanted to simulate shooting them with guns last time, but that was still really annoying with the damage reduction they had. And lets not forget the killer turkeys they added at first then needed to nerf them, the turkeys wiped bases... That was scary since guns are more novelty and only used in boss fights or caves on pve, people don't have them on hand usually.

The fall colors of the trees were awesome. i like your idea.

25 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

Never seen turkeys anywhere but on the beach last year.  They mostly kept to themselves unless you attached them.  Then they would leash unholy hell on you LOL

Man, I remember before the nerf on the turkeys a couple spawned outside of my base, broke my walls, annihilated about half my tames, and killed me twice trying to help. I was yelling and cussing at the screen the entire time. After everything was done I just started laughing, it was a pretty fun and epic battle even after all I lost lol. I tell you what though....I did learn really quick how to build a turkey trap to kite the evil little things away from my base, heck of a good time! 

3 minutes ago, phantomman01 said:

Man, I remember before the nerf on the turkeys a couple spawned outside of my base, broke my walls, annihilated about half my tames, and killed me twice trying to help. I was yelling and cussing at the screen the entire time. After everything was done I just started laughing, it was a pretty fun and epic battle even after all I lost lol. I tell you what though....I did learn really quick how to build a turkey trap to kite the evil little things away from my base, heck of a good time! 

Yep people didn't seem to realize that as tough as they were, they were also really short so not that hard to trap and kill...

8 hours ago, Shimmerstep said:

I loved the event till a smaller tribe used the dodorex as a weapon. they put a cooking pot on a quetz and summoned 3 of them over are base and wiped us. was a great tactic but wasn't much we could do against 3 of them.

I too, recall a similar tactic done last year. It was only two dodorex, but it completely wiped out an alpha tribes main base.

For some reason, i have a vague memory of it not being done during an event? I think the attacking tribe saved up the items from a previous event. 

Months later, during the turkey trial event, I saw the notice that all summoning items would be removed at the conclusion of the event.

I thought, Wow, probably a good idea. I bet so and so wishes this would have been the case months ago.

Anyway, definitely need the return of the dodorex. I won't even mention the hundreds of Dodorex worshipping posts in the two year running thread on steam forums.

He is missed. I think he should spawn random at midnight every third day/night cycle like he used to.

All hail the Dodorex!

• Volunteer Moderator

I don't think Turkey Trial should happen this year at all, and I hope it doesn't. Fear Evolved didn't happen, it was a watered down version which ended up causing more problems than it should because it clearly wasn't intended to happen as everyone is focused on Aberration, and rightly so. The Halloween event didn't really do any good, and it caused things to break, such as loot crates.

Aberration should be what is focused on now with 101% attention, and not try and squeeze in some event for Thanksgiving. Lets look at those for the future, but right now I don't feel it would be a good move to do something, because the Halloween event was evidence that it would have been better to have done nothing and just focus on Aberration.

9 hours ago, GP said:

I don't think Turkey Trial should happen this year at all, and I hope it doesn't. Fear Evolved didn't happen, it was a watered down version which ended up causing more problems than it should because it clearly wasn't intended to happen as everyone is focused on Aberration, and rightly so. The Halloween event didn't really do any good, and it caused things to break, such as loot crates.

Aberration should be what is focused on now with 101% attention, and not try and squeeze in some event for Thanksgiving. Lets look at those for the future, but right now I don't feel it would be a good move to do something, because the Halloween event was evidence that it would have been better to have done nothing and just focus on Aberration.

I totally agree with you that they shouldn't have the Turkey Trial this year. I would just skip it anyways. The Halloween event was a mess and they should just focus on fixing bugs and getting Aberration out.

On 11/14/2017 at 7:16 AM, GP said:

i got to disagree, the holiday events were fun, as hell. 

On 11/2/2017 at 1:56 PM, Dustrider said:

One more nail into cofin of events... that Dodorex will not apear any time soon but It may be reused in thirth expantion. It was sad in Pax 2017 video.

Archived