Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

15 minutes ago, Kruemel said:

There are enough server hosted by Wildcard. but sadly a bunch are wasted on the legacy cluster where only 5-10 players are playing in the rushhour. Repurpose them into the new cluster and the players would use them and the massive load of players may have enough space to build and tame. 

They said they would take a loock at the Legacy servers from 3 to 3 months, but so far we got nothing...as always

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/5/2018 at 9:21 AM, iAmE said:

Disagreeing with someone, and then trolling them because you disagree is not something a moderator should be engaged in. Is it?

I took the time to rebuke your points, and explain my logic. If you are unable, or unwilling, to engage in mutual discourse, please do not attempt to use the forums and flame those of us who are. Particularly after being chosen by Casanova as one of the moderators of said board. 

Oh man, mod-trolling is a thing 4reelz!  You don't even know.

But honestly iAmE, I have to agree with your points.  It sometimes seems that they might not really understand what the changes they implement actually do to the game for people...  And after absurdly over-the-top rebalancing, players move to the new META right away because balance is certainly a moving target, but people leave behind the old META and forget about it, and it is never rebalanced and then just takes up space being gimped and a shadow of its former self.

And also @Ranger1, while being viable to leave official for an unofficial server, I don't think it is wise to continually tell people to leave official for unofficial.  I understand it would be in WC's best interest, from a financial standpoint.  But for many of us that play on official by choice and for many many more who will choose to do the same thing after seeing what a crap-show unofficial can be, telling us to leave there and go to unofficial to get the gameplay experience we desire is allowing oversights like the tamecap in particular to fly by unchecked.  We all get that unofficial exists.  We all get that many many unofficials currently have low or no population, meaning tamecaps are not an issue, and on a zero-pop server all the land is free.  But we like playing on official.  We aren't leaving!  So as far as solutions go, leaving official for unofficial is not such a good one.

In my opinion having a cap on tames is needed because of the base code not being able to handle unlimited dinos and the hardware used for official servers being bargain basement stuff.

They almost certainly cant fix the base code in Ark, maybe in Ark 2.0.

The server hardware "might" be possible to upgrade, but I wouldn't expect that until the last expansion is released because of costs. Even then from a financial standpoint there is no reason to have high tech servers. The game runs on the bargain basement ones. At least well enough to play the game.

What I would do to control the tames on server is to implement a very hard to destroy item in game that functions like an upload obelisk, but only for the player that built it, and one has no time limit on how long they can stay uploaded. Dino cold storage.

You can have your 500 kibble dinos, they will just be uploaded and waiting for when you need to bring them out for eggs. After all, when you beat rockwell your entire body becomes some sort of energy pattern and you are sucked into space and down to the planet. I am sure the tech exists to keep dinos in that state for as long as needed.

What i can see from my server is that many Tribes "left" the server. They only visit once a week to keep their Dinos alive and feeed them. Maybe one or two still starve and limit is like 4995 out of 5000. Then the new players come and see "Oh i want to play here and i can tame!" They tame their 5 Dinos, notice they cant tame anymore and leave again (Without their 5 Dodos) or stay and scream at someone to kill a Dodo so they can tame their second Dilo...

It`s circling like this the past 1-2 months, huge Tribes lose interest in the Server and are looking for new ones to play but dont want to lose their work/dinos so they visit once in a while to not letting them decay.

3 hours ago, TheDonn said:

And also @Ranger1, while being viable to leave official for an unofficial server, I don't think it is wise to continually tell people to leave official for unofficial.  I understand it would be in WC's best interest, from a financial standpoint.  But for many of us that play on official by choice and for many many more who will choose to do the same thing after seeing what a crap-show unofficial can be, telling us to leave there and go to unofficial to get the gameplay experience we desire is allowing oversights like the tamecap in particular to fly by unchecked.  We all get that unofficial exists.  We all get that many many unofficials currently have low or no population, meaning tamecaps are not an issue, and on a zero-pop server all the land is free.  But we like playing on official.  We aren't leaving!  So as far as solutions go, leaving official for unofficial is not such a good one.

I don't recommend people leave official servers unless they wish to play in a fashion that is unlikely to ever materialize on official servers and yet is easily available on unofficial servers.  The tame cap isn't an oversight, currently it's a necessity... and while there are ways being developed to make it easier for people to stay under it there aren't any viable (and most importantly) unexploitable solutions floating around at present that are based on sound game design principles and are practical to incorporate.

I realize that most folks in this thread don't want to hear that, and I sympathize with that.  They are simply trying to come up with alternatives to the current situation.  However the practical realities of the cap need to be pointed out as well, even if they are things people don't want to hear.

I wouldn't call my way exploitable. If your worried about not feeding, just add a food storage line and upload the food or their patterns degrade and vanish.

If your worried about tribes having 100 ultra pvp dinos that cant be killed, just make it a pve only structure. Never heard of a tame cap pvp server, but if there was, its called attack and kill them. Cant do that in pve.  

If your worried about the server storing too much dino info... I do believe the server has to remember every dino already. How else can it render them correctly? 

If the server cant store unlimited dino stats.. Well okay i cant fix that, but what server from this century cant store billions of lines of text?

If your worried it cant be coded, its just an obelisk without a timer. The code already exists.

If you think the dinos can be duped by downloading, transferring, crashing the servers... They do that already, though not as much as they used to on ragnarok.

I cant think of any other ways to exploit cold storage atm. Maybe there is and I just dont have a good enough imagination.  

32 minutes ago, ChilliBean said:

I cant think of any other ways to exploit cold storage atm. Maybe there is and I just dont have a good enough imagination.  

My friend it's not that you lack imagination, far from it.  It's more that you think like an honest person, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that!  I hope you understand, but I can't go any deeper into it than that.

7 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

there aren't any viable (and most importantly) unexploitable solutions floating around at present that are based on sound game design principles and are practical to incorporate.

Per-player dino cap (100, +50 for each additional player in tribe), limiting players per tribe (15), amount of tribes per alliance (3) and amount of alliances per tribe (1, per server) would be a nice start.

Separate platform limit from dino cap, or at least make them affect only tribe dino cap and not global tamed dino cap.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:14 PM, Ranger1 said:

I don't recommend people leave official servers unless they wish to play in a fashion that is unlikely to ever materialize on official servers and yet is easily available on unofficial servers.  The tame cap isn't an oversight, currently it's a necessity... and while there are ways being developed to make it easier for people to stay under it there aren't any viable (and most importantly) unexploitable solutions floating around at present that are based on sound game design principles and are practical to incorporate.

I realize that most folks in this thread don't want to hear that, and I sympathize with that.  They are simply trying to come up with alternatives to the current situation.  However the practical realities of the cap need to be pointed out as well, even if they are things people don't want to hear.

The bolded part...  Sounds like you are trying to say "most unofficials are never tamecapped, while officials still are," but you could've done it that easily.  :)  

Even if it isn't an oversight, and is a necessity, moving to unofficial isn't a solution unless they are shutting down official entirely.  It is with that in mind that I say, suggesting it as a "solution" adds nothing to the conversation or debate for the simple fact that officials exist still!  As long as official servers are here, and are bumping against tamecaps because of Ark sales or expansions that make people come back, this will likely be a problem.  So for those of us that aren't leaving as long as official server clusters are available, moving to a Shangri-La-style unofficial is never happening.

But in terms of viable and practical ways, one would be to add a few more official servers.  Everyone knows they would hit cap.  Abb servers will hit cap too, not as soon as others because only Abb dinos live there and they can't be used as dino-barn servers, and people are done honeymooning with Abb and are now back on Rag/Center/Island/SE, but they'll hit cap too.  But it would at least free up the playerbase in a clean and easy way that would allow people to play and enjoy the full scope of the game, and give the Big WC time to come up with their next big idea about how to fix the tamecap problem.  That is very VERY viable and practical.  Not saying add 300 more servers.  But something would be nice, and would buy them some time while not costing a lot of money.

Archived