Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

1 minute ago, Meatmelt said:

Ok, let me explain another thing.

The story of the Client and the Customer. Well, I'll save you the story but the moral is the following:  "It is not a Customer problem if what he got for real money doesn't work as intended. Is the Client that should find a solution to make happy the Customer because the Client is already happy for the money he's got. Should not everyone be happy?"

But it is your problem as you're suffering from it.
Sure, you can simply shout about the taming cap being a problem on your server.
But what do you expect Wildcard to do?

You say "fix it".
The question is then, "fix it" how?
What would make you happy? Or what do you consider an acceptable solution?
Or do you want Wildcard to just do something, and then you're going to shout again afterwards?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Meatmelt said:

Ok, let me explain another thing.

The story of the Client and the Customer. Well, I'll save you the story but the moral is the following:  "It is not a Customer problem if what he got for real money doesn't work as intended. Is the Client that should find a solution to make happy the Customer because the Client is already happy for the money he's got. Should not everyone be happy?"

Ok, two things.

1. You paid for a game. You received a game. Whether or not you are happy with the game is irrelevant, because you got what you paid for. The game DOES work as intended, there is no problem with the GAME in regards to the tame cap. That is not a failure of the game mechanics, the game is functioning exactly as advertised. Insinuating that the game is somehow not functioning as intended is ridiculous and untrue.

2. This is in no way a response to the stated question, HOW you think the tame cap problem can be fixed on official servers.

I'll leave you with this quote from certified manly man Theodore Roosevelt

"Complaining about a problem, without proposing a solution, is called whining."

1 minute ago, Olivar said:

But it is your problem as you're suffering from it.
Sure, you can simply shout about the taming cap being a problem on your server.
But what do you expect Wildcard to do?

You say "fix it".
Or do you want Wildcard to just do something, and then you're going to shout again afterwards?

But people at WC are your relatives? If you like to play the game without even the possibility to tame a dodo it's OK for me. If you can accept an half game I'm glad for you. But I don't like it and you should respect that and respect if I complain a little because with my money I bought a full game and not a test demo.

I don't know HOW to solve this mess because is not my fault and not my job. Give me a million dollar and I'll think a solution.

5 minutes ago, Glerian said:

Ok, two things.

1. You paid for a game. You received a game. Whether or not you are happy with the game is irrelevant, because you got what you paid for. The game DOES work as intended, there is no problem with the GAME in regards to the tame cap. That is not a failure of the game mechanics, the game is functioning exactly as advertised. Insinuating that the game is somehow not functioning as intended is ridiculous and untrue.

2. This is in no way a response to the stated question, HOW you think the tame cap problem can be fixed on official servers.

I'll leave you with this quote from certified manly man Theodore Roosevelt

"Complaining about a problem, without proposing a solution, is called whining."

1. If I can't tame implies that the game doesn't work.

2. I'm sorry but is not my business to find a solution.

And.... of course I'm whining, what else I can do? I can't have my money back anymore! :)

Just now, Meatmelt said:

But people at WC are your relatives? If you like to play the game without even the possibility to tame a dodo it's OK for me. If you can accept an half game I'm glad for you. But I don't like it and you should respect that and respect if I complain a little because with my money I bought a full game and not a test demo.

I don't know HOW to solve this mess because is not my fault and not my job. Give me a million dollar and I'll think a solution.

The people at Wildcard are not my relatives.
I'm perfectly capable to tame a dodo, just not on your server.

That however doesn't mean the game is only half done. The mechanic for taming dinosaurs is clearly ingame and working, otherwise you would not have reached the cap in the first place. So the premise that the game is only half done is clearly wrong and an exaggeration from your side.

So you don't know how to solve this problem that affects almost every official server.
Do you think Wildcard has a solution resting on the shelf, that says "Do not implement before 100 million dollar profit has been reached" ?

7 minutes ago, Olivar said:

The people at Wildcard are not my relatives.
I'm perfectly capable to tame a dodo, just not on your server.

That however doesn't mean the game is only half done. The mechanic for taming dinosaurs is clearly ingame and working, otherwise you would not have reached the cap in the first place. So the premise that the game is only half done is clearly wrong and an exaggeration from your side.

So you don't know how to solve this problem that affects almost every official server.
Do you think Wildcard has a solution resting on the shelf, that says "Do not implement before 100 million dollar profit has been reached" ?

What you seems not to realize is that while is not a problem on YOUR server, this is a problem in DOZEN of other ones.

I'd not complain at all if I'd could play like you.

8 minutes ago, Meatmelt said:

1. If I can't tame implies that the game doesn't work.

2. I'm sorry but is not my business to find a solution.

And.... of course I'm whining, what else I can do? I can't have my money back anymore! :)

1. No, YOU not being able to tame implies that at the moment you are restricted by server rules. You can easily move servers to unofficial, to PVP, or play single player. Because the GAME isn't broken, the server rules on the server you CHOOSE to play on prevent the particular action. The GAME works, the server does not fit your needs. These are two wildly different things.

2. Then stop talking about it. If you do not have the ability to be constructive on a problem that you face, then why would you expect anyone else to be? If you want a solution to YOUR problem, then YOU must find it. It is most certainly your business to solve your own problem.

You can think of a solution, you can move servers, you can rent your own server, you can go take a nap and stop bothering everyone, there are infinite possibilities, get creative!

We have a taming cap.  You can tame during weekdays.  On weekends, you can tame on a specific window of time.  But I only play on weekends these days.  Tuso 150 will take only 3 bites to tame.  But silly me, it wont tame.  Really wanted to tame it, got so frustrated and tired.  Then on my nth try a female alpha tuso joined the taming process.  Killing my only dunky.  

Taming cap needs to be resolved by WC, i dont know how.  They made an awesome game so far.  They should address it.  Again I dont know how.  Its not the role of the consumer to think of solutions.  I dont think so.

TBH even on Legacy I never found a server at tame cap, even now we're on an official and the most there is on is about 20 people at any one time and they belong to our tribe and 3 other tribes which only account for 1500 dinos max count and even then those dino's are a meted pair of nearly each animal and about 40 boss rex's each

I just don't understand where all these capped servers are, even on our SE server, Rag server or Aberration server we have had not any issues around tames

Guest DJRone89

The only solution to this problem is to release more servers. Pretty simple right?

The obvious reason as to why there is such a delay is due to cost. Using “the great migration” as an example, they repurposed low populated legacy servers because it was easier and cheaper than buying more servers.

People on servers reaching tame cap have no other option than to move. I highly doubt every single official server is at cap and it’s more down to people not being prepared to look. Yes, it’s time consuming but the servers are acting as intended because the cap cannot be increased due to hardware limitations.

People complain that Wildcard are money grabbers but never stop to think that maybe they need this money to reinvest it back into to game, such as buying additional servers.

If Wildcard aren’t selling enough copies of the game, how are they supposed to bring in extra revenue? Paid DLC. Unfortunately they still need the money to buy the servers that the DLC will run on. So using Aberration as an example, my bet is that the extra servers that were repurposed after the great migration were earmarked for that specific DLC.

I conclude that even if Wildcard release more servers, the only solution is to transfer out.

51 minutes ago, Meatmelt said:

I was really joking in this post.

Taming cap will not EVER be resolved because is just impossible to solve: if taming is allowed then people will tame.

For ex. I like to collect well looking pteras that I'll never use. Most people just collecting tames.

How to solve this? Taming cap. Simple.

You're not supposed to agree with us.
That's not how Internet forums work.

Here’s the solution: lower the max players on servers so that X number of people times X tames doesn’t exceed server cap. Example being 35 people per server and 250 dinos per person/tribe. That’s just under 9k dinos per server which is still higher than the official server caps. But with less players they should be able to run better. 

Guest DJRone89
3 hours ago, flamron said:

Here’s the solution: lower the max players on servers so that X number of people times X tames doesn’t exceed server cap. Example being 35 people per server and 250 dinos per person/tribe. That’s just under 9k dinos per server which is still higher than the official server caps. But with less players they should be able to run better. 

Makes no difference because people can just use alternate accounts. The only solution is to transfer out.

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, flamron said:

Maybe. But if only 35 people can be on a server, you would only have a couple slots available and still not well over the max of 35,000 tamed dinos with 70 survivors that is currently allotted based on survivors and tribe cap (even though we can at best hit 1/7th that number on a server)

Makes no difference what the player cap is because people will just make alternate accounts like I said before.

12 hours ago, Olivar said:

I'm asking you however what would be a viable solution to the problem.
Do you simply want them to remove the cap, allowing infinite dinosaurs to be tamed?
Do you want them to impose a cap per person/tribe/alliance?
Do you have a different idea perhaps?

Those are all good ideas, because they are actual ideas.  The limbo is driving the playerbase nuts...  No news is terrible news for us waiting on an actual solution.

12 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

The real joke is that title

Also op maybe since @Olivar has 50 times your forum rep, that might mean he knows a few things about the game :D

I'm certain Olivar is very well-versed in all things ARK.  He/She is also well spoken, constructs responses well, and doesn't come across as a big a-hole.  It might be better to use that as a better judge of who someone is than upvotes/forum rep or forum title.

11 hours ago, Olivar said:

You say "fix it".

I didn't copy Meatmelt's response to this, or the other fella that responded like Meatmelt did...  But I agree with them.  It is not the consumer's job to solve problems for companies we patronize with our money.  I understand that getting creative with ideas for solutions and discussing them is productive!  But the problem is, no solution these days is new.  They have nearly all been talked about and discussed for months now, and as these ideas have been kicked around, we've watched as the rest of official has turned into a high-res version of Minecraft.  Island 80 is tamecapped.  Rag 195 is tamecapped.  Island 82 is tamecapped.  Rag 194 is tamecapped.  At first it was just a few servers at cap.  Now it is nearly every official server.  The ARK community as a whole has seen this problem and been kicking around ideas about how to solve it since late September if I recall, and nothing has been done. 

Not only that, but there has been no communication about any plans, ideas, or anything on how to solve it from the Big WC's dev team.  So if we come up (or have already come up) with the most brilliant and beautiful solution to solve the problem, will it make a difference?   Or is the dev team treading water, counting on more attrition/migration to unofficial and the subsequent decay to free up official servers?  Because thinking about that for 2 seconds, and as an active player seeing new people log in every single day who want to play, I know right away that that is not a solution.

11 hours ago, Glerian said:

If a game is advertised as a taming/breeding extravaganza in which one cannot tame/breed dinos due to tamecap, this is a very clear failure of intended function.  I understand unofficials exist where people rarely play and that ON THOSE SERVERS, or... AT SOME POINT... in the beginning of the "new" official servers, taming/breeding was possible.  No one is contesting that.  But if I bought a car, drove it home, and came outside a month later to find that the transmission was yoinked out by the dealership the previous night, I would still -BY THE STRICTEST TECHNICAL DEFINITION- still have a car...  But there does not exist a single person who would not "whine" about that situation.  Overly pedantic wordplay about what is/isn't "POSSIBLE" doesn't solve a problem, it only serves to further frustrate the already-frustrated, in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Glerian said:

2. Then stop talking about it. If you do not have the ability to be constructive on a problem that you face, then why would you expect anyone else to be? If you want a solution to YOUR problem, then YOU must find it. It is most certainly your business to solve your own problem.

This is the only thing we should not do.  If we stop talking about it, they will not do anything to move towards a solution.  If we keep talking about the tamecap and how much it sucks, we stand a better chance of getting a solution from the Big WC.

capping player tames does not prevent tame cap, only slow it down.

for example:

@1200hrs GMT - 20 players are online with their 100 dinos each

@1700hrs GMT - 20 new players are online with their 100dinos each

@0000hrs GMT - 20 completely different players are online with their 100 dinos each

@0500hrs GMT - 20 new players are online with their 100 dinos each

(these are not realistic and I am spit balling)

8000 dinos remain on the server however at anyone time there are only on average 20 players

how about approaching it from a different angle?

how many dino's are there in Ark? 100?

why not hard cap the amount of tames per species?

10 per species?

yes that halves your chances of a successful boss run for people using rex's but is this game not supposed to be survival? and in being a survival game aren't you supposed to be able to survive with limited resources?

also it forces players to get rid of the animals collecting dust for no apparent reason.

got the mutations and are successfully breeding them? cull the rest of the herd! there's no need to hang on to dino's that are doing nothing!

I know this is strange, maybe this idea is working solution for server dino cap problem in PVE. So, lots of big tribes use lots of dinos for storage, for eggs and for breeding again and again for the perfect mutations. But they never use that "old" dinos, only storage them one by one in long-long lines or inside in high buildings. They use only the "new" breeding dinos (sometimes only for breeding new ones again...) . Can you make someting against this thousands unused storaged dinos in PVE? Unfortunately nothing. :( I think, the best way is: all tamed dinos will be a timer countdown, same as the building destroy timers, but this is continuous times, not reset when tribe member come online. And when the timer reaches zero the dino will be die immediately. Maybe 1 or 2 months timer is adequate for this "deadly timer" , becasue in 1 or 2 months the player can get lots of eggs (for kibble), can make lots of fertilized eggs (for breed), and can use the dino for gathering, for boss, for caves, etc. Yes, I know, maybe you and me will be lost our favorite dinos, but you (and everybody else) have a time to tame or breed new ones. With this deadly timer, the "old" storage dinos slowly disappear,  it will be less and less on the servers, and the tribes forced to catch or breed new ones, but, and this is the most important : the old unused dinos are slowly disappearing and the limit decreases. if the dinos don't live forever, maybe the "storaged" dinos will be less, and we never see again the dino cap limit!

Seen a lot of tame cap during the sales. That combined with the release of Aberration didn't help at all. More dinos to tame and bring back unfortunatly...

On the 29th of December we've seen a peak in the amount of unique players connecting on our server (not survivors, but steam accounts connecting to the server). It was as high as 495 players connecting that day from which 344 were new players. Now even if a fraction of those new players stays for a while and tames (or tries anyway) a few dinos we'll have a hard time getting down to a "normal" level again. Spent 3 actual days last week trying to incubate my Rex eggs. :/

So my guess is that we really need more servers. Other solutions might alleviate the pain a bit but according to me won't make it go away completely.

Archived