Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

@AngrySaltire @yekrucifixion187

I never mentioned the griefers using the demolish option. If you're in a tribe then you can destroy structures the same way you can destroy animals you don't like. Pile on the C4 and blow them sky high. There was a thread a few months ago made by someone complaining about that very thing. A new member to the tribe had explosives stashed somewhere, waited for the other tribe members to all be offline, and wiped them all out. On a PvE server no less.

Explosives aren't the only method, any weapon or damaging tool will do, but they're the most fun for removing animals I no longer need and they'd also work great on structures. I think they're also the fastest way to take down the stronger structures without having access to the demolish option.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is no one talking about a digital storage for dinos? Good for dinos that are no longer immediately needed but needed for future use. Someone mentioned it way back in February. "A digital storage for our dinos has already been agreed on being a good idea by Jeremy in a Digest" is what I read. This would be useful for PVE only (as pvp players would use this to hide their dinos more than likely).

The issue with having a cap is because of lag/rendering issues right? If theyre hidden in some sort of storage system then it helps to reduce the lag to some extent. The dinos in storage should not add up to the server cap though. I think those stored dinos should be out of the server cap until they are retrieved from storage and if the server has somehow reached cap again, then a message should say 'cannot retrieve, at server limit'.

500 dinos minimum in storage would be handy, if you decide to give Ark a break for a year or so, all your dinos can stay in storage then and it wont effect the server having your dinos standing around in a base wasting space. If its 500 minimum (choose your own max limit, 1000? 4000? not everyone is going to have a lot of dinos in storage) that will completely stop players from storing dinos on other servers....like totally! 500 Dinos can be out on foot at any time to stand by the tribe limit. Now hoarders, noobs, solo players and huge tribes can all get along!!

I really do believe more servers (not as many as Legacy had) has to be brought in, but with a storage option it will stop those selfish players who store them on other servers.

Only other options is A: to have some sort of cap be put on players themselves via Steam or using some sort of account system to stop them having dinos spread across the Ark world, but then that wil eventually just lead to cancelling transporting altogether cause while ever that is in place it will continue. I would be severely peeved if that happens!

or B: change the kibble system, change the need for having to breed to get the best of the best dinos for caves/raids etc. Huge changes needed and still it will not fix hoarding.

Thoughts?

On 4/12/2017 at 11:02 AM, Kruemel said:

Wc just dont care!

Sad but true :(

Seems you are right. Wc is not even giving us an answer to the dino cap issue on PVE. Probably they are waiting people get tired and leave the official servers (and maybe the game too). They have our money already.

Anyway, I think that the best solution to the dino cap issue is setting a limit to the dinos a user can have. However this limit must be establish using the Steam/Xbox/PS4 player unique id account, because with the current tribe/ownership system, users can make multiple accounts on every server with the same Steam/Xbox/PS4 player unique id account and surpass any established limit. This system can be used even, to set a limit per user to the structures that can claim an area in the map (like foundations, fence foundations, pillars, etc), which can solve the pillar issue too.

For the players that has exceeded the limit already, they will be unable to tame, breed, claim nor download dinos anymore until they dispose enough dinos to be inside the established limit.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:16 PM, ciabattaroll said:

If ever a solution were to be achieved, it will only be done so by both sides working toward it rather than just one group relying on the other to carry the burden.

I disagree, @ciabattaroll.  They want us to play, we want to play.  I understand that seems like a great setup for both sides giving in (as opposed to one side shouldering the burden, as you say), but I hope that you understand:  It will never happen.  Our part in the give-and-take scenario ended after we gave credit card information for ARK.  When they make changes to the rules to solve this tamecap problem, so be it:  People will adapt, or they will leave. 

In our age of anti-consumer practices by businesses, WildCard has indeed been very very good to us all in terms of the cost of this product.  But it is not our responsibility as consumers/users to solve problems for a company we are paying for products, so in fact it does fall to them to shoulder the burden of fixing this issue for us.

On 12/2/2017 at 4:29 AM, ooStuStu said:

Alpha Titan ...that spawns multiple Alpha Rexes that are super aggressive ... All this is triggered when dino cap is reached ... The titan is aggressive and is attracted to large tame dino populations

Good god man...  Never ever!  Titan is bad enough as a kiting threat and such.  :P 

On 12/2/2017 at 2:43 PM, Midnight_ said:

Why is it that we do not have more servers? why only the server count that we currently have? These questions are being deliberately ignored by the development team. they have heard us. They know why WE think we need more servers. but there is no response at all about this.

Maybe they have a plan but for whatever reason they don't think we should know it...... For now we just feel ignored on this obvious issue that should not really be an issue.

A few thoughts on this, @Midnight_

First, maybe they are still figuring out WHAT they want to do and how to implement it perfectly.  WildCard has stepped forward very carefully with changes that could be perceived as them telling people how to play the game, and what to do/not to do.  So that is possible...  Maybe.

Second, maybe they know (tin-foil time!) EXACTLY what they want to do, and are letting the current state fester so we will just accept whatever radical change they bring forth, as long as it frees us up to actually play the damned game.

But I agree 100%...  They HAVE heard us.

On 12/4/2017 at 8:53 AM, Tobias9 said:

255 + ms / Ping.  Or Cap 

Everyone talks about 255 ms (or milliseconds) like its terrible.  One thousand milliseconds (1000 ms) is one second.  255 ms is ~1/4 of a second.  I've done WoW raids back in the day with 800 ms latency, as a solo raid healer, and did fine.  I just wanted to put that out there as general info...  But lag-spikes that result in full-out server stalls are bad, I do confess.

Heh ? Thats a lot of "maybes".

My point is they are well paste the point being good responsible devs who listen to the community. At least for this issue. Unless there is in some way an actual good reason that adding more servers is not good or possible for whatever reason. A reason other than "I would rather spend server money on a new sports car."

I did have a very evil thought about the tamecap problem that many MANY people will disagree with, and very few will endorse.  I understand and accept that this idea will be met with dismissal from most, and outright hatred by some.

A friend and I were hanging out having a few drinks, and we hatched this idea to help control reckless breeding of dinos for selling...

Dinos are soulbound (like in most MMOs) to survivor upon imprinting. 

The dino can then never be unclaimed, can still be ridden by tribemates, but is bound to the survivor ID that imprinted it.  If the tribemate leaves a tribe, the dino goes with them.  If they join a tribe, the dino joins too.  Fertilized eggs and unclaimed newborns could still provide some "market" for the people who feel they need to sell/trade, but the responsibility would then be on those who claimed/hatched to actually play the game and keep the dinos alive.  And all tamed dinos would not be held to that system either, so trading/selling tames would be unchanged from how it is now.

I KNOW!  THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.  But it was a thought we had.  I know, it's too far, it's too much.  That's what most will say, but I'd personally be OK with this.  I am not a dino salesman though, and enjoy breeding my own lines and such.

4 minutes ago, Midnight_ said:

My point is they are well paste the point being good responsible devs who listen to the community. At least for this issue. Unless there is in some way an actual good reason that adding more servers is not good or possible for whatever reason. A reason other than "I would rather spend server money on a new sports car."

All we can do is speculate!  :)  I just wanted to make it clear that these are guesses from my dumb brain.

1. The Problem

WC strategy is pretty flawless, they keep the servers caped so people buy aberration, no point in carrying bout us since we already payed for the game, just a waste of resources for them to care, and by the time a new player finds out about the cap, and jumps a few servers in search for one that's not caped, their refund time would pass, so WC ca only win from this.

And currently the only not caped servers are the SE ones, for which you have to spend money again, and new players are usually directed to those servers, WC win again.

Not even wanna go to the point where they can simply say, play on PvP, rent a server, play on local, or join a unofficial server.

So there really is no point for them to even look for a solution, since the solution costs money, hence why there isn't even a statement from them regarding cap in 2 months.

2. The Extremely Recent Problem

On the other side of things, anyone else noticed something about the cap after last night patch? Feels like the reduced the max cap or something, on The Island 44 we had no cap before the patch, and after the patch it was caped, and we killed bout 40 tames and we were still at cap, was late at night, we were about 10 players on server, so very small chance someone hatched 40+ twins.

3 The Realistic Solution to All Problems

One word for our salvation: Subscription.

Then they will have to care because people wont pay the subscription anymore, but this brings us back to the last row from #1 ... so yeah.

4 The Conclusion

There are solutions, but none in WC's advantage.

To whom it may concern, I recently decided to get back into ark after having not played for some time. I heard a ton of updates had gone into the game and I was excited to get back into the game and find a new community to play with. Not knowing about many changes I setup shop on my old official server (center 330) only to find it Dino Capped, I went to four other servers before landing on Official Ragnarok 194. I leveled up some, tamed two dinos and now it is at dino cap. 

This game is all about building, surviving and taming stuff. I dont understand how a game designed to let you tame stuff, wont let new players tame. Please fix this as soon as possible, in its current state I would not encourage anyone to start playing this game. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Midnight_ said:

You are approaching this like breeding is a bad thing. "Reckless breeding"!?!?! No such thing.

THAT IS THE GAME!

They made breeding a BIG part of the game. 500 tame cap is hard to maintain for any real breeder. 

The breeding is not the issue.

I'm not saying breeding should be restricted.  You latched on to two single words from the idea and ran with it!  And this is MY OPINION, but "reckless breeding" is a megatribe hatching 40-50 wyverns/rexs/whatever for the sole purpose of selling off, for no other reason.  I know, I know:  This is how they want to play the game, blahblah, you can't tell them not to do that.  But it happens on every server.  It is NOT the only problem, and the soulbind-upon-imprint is NOT the only solution, but its just one we came up with.

So, that's my piece on "reckless breeding".  I know you don't agree with me, and that is perfectly OK!  But for the sake of the point if we could move past those 2 words, I'd like that.  And I know you want to impress that breeding is never "reckless" because its a big part of the game, you said that above, I know breeding is important.  I know you will say there is nothing wrong with breeding, and I get that.  But discussing solutions instead of semantics might be a better use of our time  :)

The only reason I suggest this (and say that the term is less important than the idea) is because of the solution WildCard will come out with.  SOMEONE will feel targeted.  Noobs, solo-server-veterans, megatribes, SOMEONE will feel like they are in the crosshairs (in a punative sense) of the fix, whenever it comes.  Put yourself in opposition of one of those factions of players that will potentially feel targeted, and try to solve it from that angle.  Does that at all make sense?

Just trying to get weirdly creative in how they MIGHT fix this.  I am 99.999% sure I am wrong, but just getting weird with ideas.

16 hours ago, Midnight_ said:

I believe the reason why we are not seeing more servers yet is because they are already spoken for....  "Abberation"  and the following " ? " dlc

If WC were to release more servers now... could they realistically have enough money to support the next two dlc's in the long term???

On 12/2/2017 at 6:39 PM, Vrallox said:

@AngrySaltire @yekrucifixion187

I never mentioned the griefers using the demolish option. If you're in a tribe then you can destroy structures the same way you can destroy animals you don't like. Pile on the C4 and blow them sky high. There was a thread a few months ago made by someone complaining about that very thing. A new member to the tribe had explosives stashed somewhere, waited for the other tribe members to all be offline, and wiped them all out. On a PvE server no less.

Explosives aren't the only method, any weapon or damaging tool will do, but they're the most fun for removing animals I no longer need and they'd also work great on structures. I think they're also the fastest way to take down the stronger structures without having access to the demolish option.

Didn't even consider this. Playing PVE I find and keep one C4 BP and one detonator BP but never use it so that, grenades, etc. didn't even cross my mind. 

1 hour ago, Darkwushu said:

The state of kibble is really the problem, long time players at dino cap each just to maintain kibble farms makes this a problem. 

Kibble farms while they take some taming slots are only one of the reasons for server cap, but not the main one. Even if kibble (and imprinting) system gets overhaul, players will just tame/breed more to fill emptied slots.

18 hours ago, Darkwushu said:

This game is all about building, surviving and taming stuff. I dont understand how a game designed to let you tame stuff, wont let new players tame. Please fix this as soon as possible, in its current state I would not encourage anyone to start playing this game. Thanks!

There is no easy fix to the problem and players are part of the reason - for every solution they will find workaround that fully or partially negates that solution.

I’m using my wallet to show my displeasure with the server caps. We capped on our rag server with the 8x charity event, then went back down, and went back up with the 3x event. We’ve floated in and out of server cap since then. 

If this was at least addressed at any point from WC since the issue arose about three weeks after launch, I would consider purchasing aberration. But I believe the same issues will arise with that map. Too few servers, overcrowded, and dino cap only a month or two down the road. 

I don’t have a great fix (lower the tribe cap again?), but it’s a stifling issue that has driven new and old players away from the game mode. I just don’t get why we can’t get any form of communication or strategy/vision from WC on the issue. 

Archived