Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

I think people need to stop wanting to have 100s of dinos. There is no need for that. With the coming turret adjustments you won't need the dino bullet sponges.

And frankly I think this is why people tame so many dinos, to do precisely what is happening - prevent anyone else from being able to accomplish anything. It's another way to meta game a win.

You know, I could understand it if this game were sub fee and it had huge time sinks. But there is no sub fee, so why the huge time sinks? Are they going to treat this game like a Korean game farm full of store bought 'WIN!'?

And how about some up to date patch notes, ffs.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Alienfirefox said:

I see your point but having 500 theris is pretty silly. I think having 20 is enough keep only the best ones and ditch the rest.

You need to get those "best" ones first.
As I said : hundreds of females and 15000 babies, and there was moments where we'd have them all alive cause RNG said nope.

21 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

Then they will have to code 2 types of server software then: free one with worse performance and paid one with "premium performance". On top it of being a scummy tactic that will result in huge and justified community backlash - it would require quite a lot of additional resources to maintain both versions. And WC already tries to have a cake and eat it at same time by releasing game on all platforms and looking for more (like Switch for example).

There's nothing wrong with wanting to release your game on all platforms, it's a great way to get Ark out there as a house hold game name. Every Ark fan should be in support of this as it opens the game up to a new group of gamers that otherwise wouldn't be able to play it. More popularity, more player, more money for WC. But that isn't a bad thing in and of itself. WC earning money is what we all need for this game to survive, hence why I talk about a pay-to-play model.

So yes you are right in that it would be more work for them to host and code the 2 servers. But ultimately they would be getting enough income from the subscription model (hopefully) that it would cover any costs of running the two different versions. Furthermore, even if I'm wrong and it is too hard for them to logistically have both running, they could always shut down other servers to make way for them...

On 11/26/2017 at 5:11 AM, Olivar said:

As I said : hundreds of females and 15000 babies, and there was moments where we'd have them all alive cause RNG said nope.

well the only thing thats left then is give us more servers. i hear that on legacy (i wasn;t playing then) they never got capped.

On 11/24/2017 at 6:12 PM, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Just find a low pop server like an island map.  Bring some structures and breed all you want. My rag server was.capped. Now I'm on the island breeding 20 apes and another 20 tonight.

The Island, Center and Rag are almost all full.(new)
I not know about SE servers.

I have talked to several people on multiple different servers talking about how most of the official PVE servers are at server dino cap. It took forever to hit cap on the island back in the legacy days... will you all please look in to this and help us out!!!!???? It takes away all the fun. Please look in to it... this is on PS4.

1 hour ago, Highspeed63b said:

I have talked to several people on multiple different servers talking about how most of the official PVE servers are at server dino cap. It took forever to hit cap on the island back in the legacy days... will you all please look in to this and help us out!!!!???? It takes away all the fun. Please look in to it... this is on PS4.

Don’t worry! One of the developers said in another thread, “We read this forum every day and take on board what our players are giving us feedback on.” It’s not like we’ve been having this issue for some time now or that we need more servers.

On 2017. 11. 24. at 7:57 PM, WhipSky said:

WC please close all legacy servers and remplace them by new servers ! It will solve the dino cap issue !

When i research legacy servers in game i find 224 servers !  Most of them have less then 5 players on it...

+1

and you also need less game server in one pc, 255 ping...

The server pve ....

NEED URGENTLY SOLUTION TO SERVER DINO CAP!!!!AND LAG

The biggest problem is that many tribes have more than 60 dinosaurs of one species.. exp 60 giga or 60 ptera etc (for why?)

Need change limited the Tribe for player

exp 500 limit tribe for 150 limit for player

Unused dinosaurs will disappear.

I was playing in a small tribe on a PVE island map server.  I decided I want to check out some of the other content that is part of my paid purchase.  I transfer to Rag, only to find out I can't even tame a doed to help construct a base.  Then I find out there are tribes with 100's of dinos and the server is capped.  I try 4 or 5 other servers just to find the same thing.  Then I figure I will trade with other tribes to get established and find out I am locked out of the trade thread because I haven't made enough pointless posts about stuff that has already been said in these forums 100 times at least already.

Why can't I have at least 1 dino?  Don't you think some limits should be in place to allow at least a few tames per player?  If you are worried about abuse with multiple characters, tie it to the player's steam account.  If they want more dinos, they can buy another copy of the game.  It is pretty ridiculous that someone who paid for the game, can't even enjoy all the content.  I keep hearing about aberration as the solution but it will only be a short time until certain tribes have 1000 dinos each on those servers as well.  You must implement tame limits per tribe and individual now or add more capacity (both is probably necessary).

I will go play another game until this is sorted out and if it isn't, ask for a refund which would make me sad because it is a really fun game when it is working.

On 11/25/2017 at 12:11 PM, Olivar said:

lol this cat aint even on official servers not even sure why he has an opinion on dino cap when he dont play there. RIP

My question is..    how can WC, go on selling a game where taming dinos is a main feature.. when dinos on most servers can no longer be tamed due to cap... Instead of expecting the player base to solve the issue.. WC should be.

Instead of putting so much time into a new dlc.. a solution should first be put in place to solve this issue..

This is a known issue.. WC should have not only responded to this issue.. but fixed it by now completely.. 

I ask you WC.. how u can go on taking money from players.. who want to enjoy ur game.. when they cant even do what is.. a main feature of the game.

As a man or woman stranded naked, freezing and starving on the shores of a mysterious island called ARK, you must hunt, harvest resources, craft items, grow crops, research technologies, and build shelters to withstand the elements. Use your cunning and resources to kill or tame the leviathan dinosaurs and other primeval creatures roaming the land, and team up with or prey on hundreds of other players to survive, dominate... and escape! 

• Tame, Train & Ride Dinosaurs, in a Living Ecosystem
  • Harvest, Build Structures, Paint Items
  • Plant, Farm and Grow
  • Summon the Ultimate Life Forms
  • Explore and Discover

You continue to sell a game, you know cant be played as advertised.. its on you WC to fix the issue.. not on your player base.. slapping a bandaid on it and hoping it will go away.. is not good business.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:25 AM, Stephania said:

Players with their greed and selfish are the reason for this problem.
Exist tribes who gather huge numbers of animals and build huge bases just to brag about.

Nope!  @Stephania, stop making the mistake of blaming people for simply wanting to play the game.  Greed/selfishness is all a matter of perspective:  EVERYONE eventually can be seen as a "greedy hoarder" by someone who just started.  Just stop.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:56 PM, Midnight_ said:

The problem is NOT with the players. People are taming and breeding. THAT is the game. You SHOULD do that.

Read the above quote from @Midnight_.  It very succinctly sums this up.

A solution needs to be in place that allows people to continue playing the game as they see fit.  Now I've seen it mentioned that the "kibble rework" will help combat the tame-limit problem...  But WILL IT?

I say it absolutely will not.

Say a good kibble farm for imprints is ~35 dinos (guessing an amount, the REAL NUMBER IS UNIMPORTANT).  They rework the kibble system and NOW, all you need for a successful kibble farm is 10 dinos.  Everyone who wants a fully operational kibble farm in the scenario now needs 25 less kibble-farm dinos!  SWEET!

IT DOESN'T MATTER.  No one will tame 25 less dinos in the above-scenario, will they?  No.  They won't.  They will just tame MORE of a different kind of dino (more Rexs, Thylas, Stegos, Griffins) or will just BREED more dinos to have a bigger clutch of breeder-females...  Meaning the problem is still 100% present.

The kibble rework will not help the tame-cap problem, especially if it means having less dinos to tame for a complete kibble farm.

• Volunteer Moderator
On 11/29/2017 at 6:10 AM, ulgi81 said:

The server pve ....

NEED URGENTLY SOLUTION TO SERVER DINO CAP!!!!AND LAG

The biggest problem is that many tribes have more than 60 dinosaurs of one species.. exp 60 giga or 60 ptera etc (for why?)

Need change limited the Tribe for player

exp 500 limit tribe for 150 limit for player

Unused dinosaurs will disappear.

Having tons of dinosaurs, specially in very localized areas, contributes to lag.

The dino, structure, and now turret cap that wildcard placed was an effort to combat that lag.

Simply put, there just isn't a mean right now to please everyone by solving both the dino cap and the lag, and some of the suggestions here aren't really that much better. Should things be relegated to limits being based on player size you'll have solo tribes complaining about their desire to, as the poster above me said, "continue playing the game as they see fit" being infringed upon. But that said, we also aren't running on machines that can afford everyone infinite dinos and infinite structures. If ever a solution were to be achieved, it will only be done so by both sides working toward it rather than just one group relying on the other to carry the burden.

4 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Having tons of dinosaurs, specially in very localized areas, contributes to lag.

The dino, structure, and now turret cap that wildcard placed was an effort to combat that lag.

Simply put, there just isn't a mean right now to please everyone by solving both the dino cap and the lag, and some of the suggestions here aren't really that much better. Should things be relegated to limits being based on player size you'll have solo tribes complaining about their desire to, as the poster above me said, "continue playing the game as they see fit" being infringed upon. But that said, we also aren't running on machines that can afford everyone infinite dinos and infinite structures. If ever a solution were to be achieved, it will only be done so by both sides working toward it rather than just one group relying on the other to carry the burden.

I would love to assist more with that problem but I'm still waiting for a tribe system overhaul. Although, since they've never even hinted about it happening I'm not going to hold my breath.

If I didn't run the risk of having a new recruit with minimal permissions destroy every animal and structure in the tribe I'd invite new players left and right. I'd say the first message in global from 7/10 new players is something along the lines of "Can I get a tribe invite?" The answer is always no unless another new player invites them. The result is that instead of using existing structures and animals they build and tame their own which increases lag and brings the server closer to the tame cap. Of course this only applies to PvE but then again PvE is what's mostly having the problem with hitting the tame cap. If insiding in PvE could be prevented by making use of the tribe rank settings or tribe governance then there would be less tribes on each server which each requires their own structures, animals, and land.

Like I've said before, a tribe system overhaul isn't THE fix but it is part of the fix. Another part of the fix was removing claiming. Still find it hard to believe that Wildcard actually did that. Not used to them doing something so reasonable and obvious. :D

4 hours ago, Vrallox said:

I would love to assist more with that problem but I'm still waiting for a tribe system overhaul. Although, since they've never even hinted about it happening I'm not going to hold my breath.

If I didn't run the risk of having a new recruit with minimal permissions destroy every animal and structure in the tribe I'd invite new players left and right. I'd say the first message in global from 7/10 new players is something along the lines of "Can I get a tribe invite?" The answer is always no unless another new player invites them. The result is that instead of using existing structures and animals they build and tame their own which increases lag and brings the server closer to the tame cap. Of course this only applies to PvE but then again PvE is what's mostly having the problem with hitting the tame cap. If insiding in PvE could be prevented by making use of the tribe rank settings or tribe governance then there would be less tribes on each server which each requires their own structures, animals, and land.

Like I've said before, a tribe system overhaul isn't THE fix but it is part of the fix. Another part of the fix was removing claiming. Still find it hard to believe that Wildcard actually did that. Not used to them doing something so reasonable and obvious. :D

Forgive me for my nativety with this question for tribe permissions isnt my strong point and I am curious. But what do you mean by destroying structures and tames ? Isnt there a prevent demolish option and prevent unclaim option in the ranking system already ? I take it that isnt strict enough then to prevent unknowns from doing the unthinkable ?

Player VS Environment

Right now it is obvious that the environment is not hard enough for the PVE servers hence the dino cap issues.

Alpha Titan ...that spawns multiple Alpha Rexes that are super aggressive ... All this is triggered when dino cap is reached ... The titan is aggressive and is attracted to large tame dino populations

problem solved ...your welcome

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

Forgive me for my nativety with this question for tribe permissions isnt my strong point and I am curious. But what do you mean by destroying structures and tames ? Isnt there a prevent demolish option and prevent unclaim option in the ranking system already ? I take it that isnt strict enough then to prevent unknowns from doing the unthinkable ?

Both of those exists. I am not sure what @Vrallox means about not being able to prevent structure demolish but if anybody in your tribe can access a dino, they can kill a dino. No permissions needed. They can simply pike, hack, shoot, whatever. People on both PvP and PvE get insided like this often. It makes it an extremely risky proposition to invite someone in and even let them near a dino.

If you have too many restrictions and they they are patient it could lead to resentment which in turn means once they have received the permissions or access to the dino's they could kill, unclaim, or whatever. 

Some people are professional trolls. You have your basic trolls. They don't have the patience to make this work. they need immediate gratification. The professional's will gain trust over months before destroying everything you built and they helped build. Call it tantric trolling. 

Like my hat? 

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

20 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Yes and no to what you said. Mostly no just because on legacy servers this was not an issue that I heard of. Why was that? Because there were plenty of servers to player count. the opposite is true now...to a VERY EXTREME level. I like the clown car analogy that someone brought up in another thread. Thousands of people are trying to play on 58 servers in PvE. It's like shoving 50 clowns into a tiny car. Comical....but actually sad.

Why is it that we do not have more servers? why only the server count that we currently have? These questions are being deliberately ignored by the development team. they have heard us. They know why WE think we need more servers. but there is no response at all about this.

Maybe they have a plan but for whatever reason they don't think we should know it...... For now we just feel ignored on this obvious issue that should not really be an issue.

As to the dino greed comments. No one is greedy for getting near  or at tribe tame limits of 500. As I said before the game is taming and breeding. You are eventually going to end up with a lot of dinos and may hit your tribe tame cap. That is NOT greed. That is playing the game in the limits set.  

Greed actually sets in when you make an ALT survivor to bypass that limit. So that you can move dinos to this other survivor that is going to be allied so you can feed the dinos.  That allows you (one tribe) to bypass the limit and have 1000 dino cap. THAT is greed and should not be allowed.

Archived