Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

BUMP both these posts!!! 
Great idea's and should be implemented ASAP!!!
You cannot stop players from playing, but give them bonuses and penalty's WITH  steam ID LIMITS that are realistic

On 11/8/2017 at 5:15 AM, Stephania said:

Some ideas how fix the server cap issue.

Reward to tribes or players by maintaining few tamed animals and penalty to tribes or players by maintaining a lot of tamed animals.

Tribes or players who owns less than 25% of the personal cap (125) get bonus of 2x tame, gathering and breeding.

Tribes or players who owns between 25% and 50% of the personal cap (125-250) get no bonus. 

Tribes or players who owns more than 50% of the personal cap (250) get penalty of -0,5x tame, gathering and breeding and not enjoy 2x events.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tribes or players who owns less than 25% of the personal cap (125) get -30% of tamed animals food consuption.

Tribes or players who owns between 25% and 50% of the personal cap (125-250) get normal food consuption.

Tribes or players who owns more than 50% of the personal cap (250) get +30% of tamed animals food consuption.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tribes or players who owns less than 25% of the personal cap (125) get +10% of exp.

Tribes or players who owns between 25% and 50% of the personal cap (125-250) get normal exp.

Tribes or players who owns more than 50% of the personal cap (250) get -10% of exp and not enjoy 2x events..

Also turn off PvEOffline raid protection and monthly 2x events only.
Everything above is only related to PVE official server.

I really like this post:

ALL PLAYERS WILL TAME DINO's that is what this game is about; .. kibble farm or 100 dodo's, or 100 Giga's would be the same problem.

Why do most tribes have less Giga's? because they eat you out of house and home. bonus for lean players, penalty's for hardcore breeders sounds perfect.

If you are breeding for mut / colour you do not need to keep every crap dino you hatch!

Kibble farm is Tribe owned 50 dino's max needed (15 possible kibble needed for imprint = 1 male 3 female) "NOT 50 scorpions to tame a Rex"

On 11/8/2017 at 4:18 PM, Vrallox said:

One of the issues is that there's no magic fix. Several changes have to be made to fix this problem. The Server Wipe thread had several discussions featuring numerous ideas concerning how to approach the issue although have fun wading through that mountain of posts. I'd say this is another interesting idea: 

Although I disagree with the removal of ORP for PvE. Too much griefing involved. That was actually the go to move for most griefers. Wait until the person's not online. Just like with PvP.

More servers is obviously not a good idea. We had plenty of servers before legacy happened and servers were still hitting cap with a number of nearly empty servers available. I'm guessing the ones calling for more servers are volunteering to uproot themselves and move to the new servers though so that is very altruistic of them. There's also the problem of nothing preventing players from hitting cap on the new servers. I mean everyone started "fresh" on the new cluster and you all still hit the cap. Those "fresh new start" servers obviously didn't change anything.

It's painfully obvious the people of Wildcard haven't actually realized that to end the dino cap problem they first have to figure out what is causing it. Let me see if I can get the ball rolling...

Problem: A person joins multiplayer looking for a multiplayer experience, asks to join a tribe, and is denied due to the possibility of insiding (a PvP tactic) being used in PvE. No matter how few permissions a player has they can still destroy everything in the tribe. So the new player starts their own tribe with their own dinos, rafts, and structures.

Solution: Tribe system overhaul. Fix the rank system so players can select what rank everything is once activated, include the option to prevent certain ranks from doing damage to structures, dinos, and other players in the tribe, and make the dino tame limit depend on how many players are in the tribe in order to make tribes actually want to recruit new people and decrease the amount of tribes on a server therefore decreasing the amount of animals, rafts, and structures are on a server.

Problem: Egg farms.

Solution: Possibly the kibble rework. No mention of any actual plan so we'll have to wait for them to come up with the kibble rework first before we know if it's a solution. I've got my fingers crossed.

Problem: When someone stops playing their dinos are up for grabs. And anyone waiting there grabs everything not nailed down. Bats, arthropleura, and many other mostly worthless animals thereby continue to hog tame slots because people may not be willing to go and tame these creatures themselves but they'd be more than happy to get them for free and leave them to collect dust in their bases.

Solution: Remove claiming entirely. Stop clogging servers with old animals no one would normally tame but happily snap up if they're just lying around.

Now with these problems and solutions that would greatly help the dino cap issue a theme begins to emerge. Just like everywhere else players are unwilling to self-regulate as a whole. There are pockets of reasonable people but the majority put themselves before the very functioning of their servers and nothing will ever change that. Many other developers have tried and failed for decades.

There are many other ideas out there that can also help avoid hitting the server tame limit. This forum is chock full of good ones.

my comments from a few pages back still hold true:

1) Tribe system needs an overhaul no doubt, also if you alliance with someone and they build in your base and quit the alliance and you can never build in your base again???? DILO

Solution: Create bonus and penalty system for tribes of 5 or more, this can cut down on single player tribes raising hundreds of dino's unnecessarily. PVE means you shouldn't have to worry about other players to much, however Tribe mates and alliance have a bad week and they can wreck everything you have built.

How about Tribes with less then 5 in them have no ORP?

2) Egg farms are not the problem!         Each player has unlimited taming capability, eggers, rexs, mut's for colours, or just because I "really like allo's"

Solution: Limit each player (Steam ID) to 150 Dino's across all servers. Currently ONE PLAYER CAN HAVE  5000 DINO's right now on 10 servers, and it won't be because of kibble needs!

3) Claiming dino's HAS BEEN REMOVED! solved this one already /cheer @WC

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Tolem said:

Obviously WC doesn't care, PVP is what they focus on and that is about it.  If they wanted to resolve the issue, they would have made comments in this thread or made a main thread like they did regarding the turrets.

I agree. They don't care.

There was a nerf of the turrets, pvp people complained and then they had a new turret in a few days. You only have to compare the extension of the topic about turrets and the extension of this topic. Nobody cares about dino cap.

It is a pity.

hey Wild Card

my friend and i are trying to get on a PVE server and everyone we went to had Reached its DIno limit due to Mega Tribes using them as Storage or Dumping Stations before they go on a Mega Raid on servers ...

My question to you WildCard are you planning on stopping this so players can play on the Centre or Ragnarok maps in PVE again or not

3 hours ago, Lostmymarbles said:

hey Wild Card

my friend and i are trying to get on a PVE server and everyone we went to had Reached its DIno limit due to Mega Tribes using them as Storage or Dumping Stations before they go on a Mega Raid on servers ...

My question to you WildCard are you planning on stopping this so players can play on the Centre or Ragnarok maps in PVE again or not

This honestly makes no sense.... mega tribes raiding in PVE servers, when did that start happening 

• Wildcard Community
3 hours ago, Lostmymarbles said:

hey Wild Card

Tribes cannot transfer between game types. A PVP tribe cannot use a PVE server as a parking lot for their dinosaurs.

I dunno but the dino cap is a real real problem. I''m sitting here with all the artifacts  all the tributes to do each and every boss we want. But yet we can't even do any boss fights because every server we have tried to build on to breed up some dino's for boss fights have been capped going on like almost 7 weeks now. Something really needs to be done.

I have not seen anyone mention this yet. But something I have noticed. WC added color mutations a while back. As a direct result of this I see tribes with hundreds of dinos the don't need and are not going to ride, just for breeding. Dinos that are most liked. Rexes, thylas, gigas, quetzals, the list goes on. They have rows and rows of these dinos. MANY of them are mutated and very pretty with bright coloring.

Some of you read that nodding your head and saying "IKR!? They are why the server is dino capped!!!"

Wrong. Adding color mutations into the mix encouraged everyone to breed more. It gave another reason and purpose for it. It is yet one more example of why WC is falling short of their basic duty to the players. THEY said here is the game tame and breed, and breed, and breed, and breed, and BREEEEEDDDDDD!!!!! But we are not gonna let you. Cause servers are expensive (or whatever the reason is)Trololololol! 

I saw @Eli mention in another thread on this subject how "it is up to the players to remove useless dinos". Or something to that extent. He was talking about egg laying dinos, and he said that as if that might have an impact of some kind on the dino cap. 

WC is the only one that can fix the dino cap issue. By doing 2 things.

#1 Add more servers to better support the player habitat. Something like enough servers to allow for 100 dinos per player. 60-per, something.....anything. Right now I honestly believe that number must be around 20 per player. I know I am stabbing in the dark a bit with that number, I am only going off of what little I have seen. But I challenge WC to look at the real statistics and see for themselves if they have not already.  All I know is that the rag server I was on had around 400 people trying to play on it and it dino capped. That math equals 13-per. That is not all servers I know. I am just basing it on that.

#2 Do something to prevent individual players from having multiple tribes on the same server using the same account. Right now just one person could theoretically dino cap any one server. 500 dinos in each tribe and then make 10 alternate survivors on the same account. 11 tribes 5500 dinos.....server is capped. So said in theory they can do that. More of the reality is that multiple tribes have made a second tribe using this method thereby bypassing the tribe cap. That means (in this example) that 2 tribes hold 1000 of the 5500 dino cap. That means only 5 tribes can cap a server VERY easy. Make it so you have to purchase another copy of the game to do that. This still allows them to buy a higher cap limit but in return they fund more servers with their purchase of a second copy of the game.

On 11/8/2017 at 1:56 AM, Midnight_ said:

The problem is NOT with the players. People are taming and breeding. THAT is the game. You SHOULD do that.

The problem IS with WC selling more tickets than they have seats to the show that is called Ark. WC is the only "person" responsible for the majority of current servers getting dino capped. The sold X number copy of games and did not create enough servers to support that population.

Solution? There is only one....make more severs. dino cap is 5500 (as I understand it) so only 11 tribes (at 500 dinos per tribe) can be maintained per server. 500x11=5500.  So they need to make 1 server per every 11 tribes. Or some semblance of that. Right now we are at about 50-150 tribes per server. My guess is the average is 100 tribes on any given server. Of course they are all going to dino cap. ...or you could argue about how there are 1 man tribes and 20 man tribes.....happy medium of about 100 dinos per player is in an area of resonable....maybe. So 1 server per 55 players. ...or SOMETHING yeesh..... 

I not completely agree with it.
That is half blame of players and half blame of developers.

Players with their greed and selfish are the reason for this problem.
Exist tribes who gather huge numbers of animals and build huge bases just to brag about.

Developers with their misguided polices are the reason for this problem.
Developers add features who encourage animals hoarding like breeding, boss fight and mutations and not add mechanics to prevent the server cap.

Also limiting the amount of dinosaurs is going to put breeding on such Anslow pace it becomes impossible to do.

Do you know how many dinosaur you burn through before even getting to 20/20 mutations? Having a large batch of females available to mass produce eggs speeds this up tremendously. If you put in place limits to having only 150 dinosaurs this becomes impossible.

We had a therizinosaur farm with hundreds females to mass produce and force the mutations, playing the numbers game and it took us weeks and 15000 babies to reach that. And that was with 100x increased rates.

Try doing that on official without those rates and having only 100 dinosaurs available. Will take you years.

As the title implies,  why is it we have 3x events when so many of the official servers are dino capped?  I play on PVE PC and after we hit 8x during the charity event thing we server capped. We joked when the charity event started, that we would be server capped after the event" If you don't have egg farms then you have difficulty imprinting, so fix the kibble system maybe.  Unfortunately we have been waiting for a revamp of the kibble system.  If your prepping for boss fights then your actively breeding rexes and imprinting.  If you have an active breeding program for other dinos you are also screwed. Oh, then we have a tribe on server that has decided to reserve server cap space for themselves by placing a pillar on a platform on a paraceratherium.  Rant over!

22 minutes ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Just find a low pop server like an island map.  Bring some structures and breed all you want. My rag server was.capped. Now I'm on the island breeding 20 apes and another 20 tonight.

I play on an Island map and many of the new island servers are already capped,  I have a great tribe and for the most part the server has a lot of decent people.  I just want to play, tame and breed my dinos.  I shouldn't have to move servers just to play the game. 

My biggest problem with dino cap, is that you can't mate egg-laying dinos while capped. I breed rexes for bosses and it makes it difficult when I can't even make the eggs that then have to wait all day while cap goes on and off to incubate. I think that they should at least allow me to create the fertilized eggs while capped so that once a tribe times out I have eggs ready to be hatched and am not rushing for the space.

7 hours ago, Jacira said:

Best thing to do is make subscription fee servers with increased cap and better performance.

Help us to help you Wild Card.

Then they will have to code 2 types of server software then: free one with worse performance and paid one with "premium performance". On top it of being a scummy tactic that will result in huge and justified community backlash - it would require quite a lot of additional resources to maintain both versions. And WC already tries to have a cake and eat it at same time by releasing game on all platforms and looking for more (like Switch for example).

On 11/24/2017 at 5:16 PM, Olivar said:

Also limiting the amount of dinosaurs is going to put breeding on such Anslow pace it becomes impossible to do.

Do you know how many dinosaur you burn through before even getting to 20/20 mutations? Having a large batch of females available to mass produce eggs speeds this up tremendously. If you put in place limits to having only 150 dinosaurs this becomes impossible.

We had a therizinosaur farm with hundreds females to mass produce and force the mutations, playing the numbers game and it took us weeks and 15000 babies to reach that. And that was with 100x increased rates.

Try doing that on official without those rates and having only 100 dinosaurs available. Will take you years.

I see your point but having 500 theris is pretty silly. I think having 20 is enough keep only the best ones and ditch the rest.

Archived