Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

On 11/9/2017 at 5:43 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

At some point in the game, much as in life, people have to take some personal responsibility for their actions.

This gives me an idea..

Maybe tamed dinos could release Co2 into the atmosphere. Then. as the tame cap is reached, the ark warms up until everything starts dying off... unless the players can manage their population/resources. 

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my main questions regarding the tame cap/PvE is why the focus on having obnoxiously large kibble farms? I strictly play Official PvP with 5.2k+ hours but watch trading pages like a hawk and ultimately there isn't that much of a difference if at all between high-tier stats on tames between PvE and PvP. Yet PvP does not require absurd kibble farms to accomplish this. 2 weeks into legacy we had tamed enough rexes/got lucky enough with our taming to acquire high enough health and damage stats to beat the hard bosses (short of the dragon which requires a more diverse lineup/strategy). All with plenty of eggs/kibble to spare. Likewise I have higher Allo/Spino/Theri/etc stats then I've seen on any PvE post. All acquired without obnoxious amounts of kibble farm tames or obnoxious amounts of breeding. Ultimately you would think PvP players need even MORE tames then PvE because minor differences in stats can influence the greater outcome of wars, as well as requiring more 'fodder' to  fight wars period. Whereas PvE is looking at insanely lower risk for having marginally lower stats and insanely higher diminishing returns for having marginally higher stats.

My only thought on this is that perceptions are easily skewed making people believe certain things are the case when they're not. For starters it seems like there can ever only be so many eggs of one species down at the same time. So therefore your egg production isn't exactly [Egg Rate]*[Number of Layers]*[Multipliers]=eggs produced, but more like [Egg Rate]*[Number of YOUR Layers]/[Number of TOTAL Layers on Server]*[Multipliers]=eggs produced.

Following that formula you get two conclusions for an optimal egg output. Egg Rate and max multipliers are constants and the only value you can influence is the number/ratio of your layers. For the first max output 1 tribe has ALL or the vast majority of Layers for X species (Not even needing an absurd amount as if their is a max on eggs dropped at any time you'll hit peak production quickly). A secondary option would be that all large enough tribes mandate that there is a MAX amount of Layers per tribe so that if everyone hits it all their egg rates will be the same. Otherwise you create a vicious cycle. Tribe A tames 6 of Species X and gets peak production. Zero communication happens and Tribe B tames 6 of Species X as well, functionally cutting both their production to half of what 'peak' would be. But they both don't realize this and just tame more and more thinking they can improve their egg rates when in reality 'peak server egg production' was already reached at 6 (6 is just an arbitrary example number). 

Furthermore I find, after 5.2k+ hours, frequency of checking has a greater impact on functional egg production than anything else. For example we had loads of Argies at a former base, organized but not on a 'main' walking path within the base. Egg gather rates was extremely slow. Moved base locations and suddenly the new spot for agries was in the most trafficked location in the base. Literally hundreds of Argen eggs gathered within a week. No change to total number of Argens, just to how frequently people walked past them. At the old base we could have had 10x the Argens and not matched the gather rate of the relative few that people were walking by every few minutes at the new base. This has held true for every species so far and is a primary design consideration for me now whenever I plan bases. If you have to go out of your way to check for eggs beyond simply doing everyday things, your collection rate will be miniscule compared to a lesser amount of egg layers that you simply walk by all the time anyways. When we needed mass eggs produced we'd just have the layers moved right along the main walking paths and presto, mass egg collection without taming mass kibble dinos.

Now granted this is all from an Official PvP perspective and I'm not tuned to the climate of PvE, but I do have well over 5k hours on official period and have an extremely firm understanding of the underlying mechanics of the game. But I am interested in getting further opinions on those thoughts from PvE players as well because while extremely knowledgeable I am far from infallible.

1 hour ago, TheDonn said:

Anythinnnnnng from the real game devs on this?  This cannot be the vision of the dev team, a bunch of tame-capped servers...  As fun as ARK is, this problem has to be in the crosshairs of Jeremy and CO.

Anything, @Jeremy Stieglitz?  We'd love it, even if the answer is "get stuffed, servers fill up lol".  But the silence is painful, as we sit in tribes with 80 dinos and 4 players, on tame-capped servers.

I think they're all wearing beer goggles so their vision is compromised.

On 12/11/2017 at 12:13 AM, yekrucifixion187 said:

But you can with self sacrifice and discipline. 

*snip*

you honestly think servers haven't tried all these community options to solve it ourselves?

You can be as disciplined and expendable with your dinos as you like but it still wont change the problem unless everyone else does it and this is the problem. Not only in Ark but in any game ever you should never have to tell another person how to play their game just so you can enjoy it yourself. Furthermore, our server for instance has over 4 big mutation breeding tribes. I know for a fact some of them have killed their dinos off. But then others haven't. Some of them don't even speak English. So how are we meant to even ask them to kill stuff off?

I love the mp aspect of ark and I've met some incredible friends along the way. Through this we have formed little cliques in which we can ask each other for stuff to help us progress. However that is a far cry from trying to ask every single tribe on the server to commit to the cause when some of them may not like you, you may not like them, or they don't even speak your language.

For the record, on EU Rag 211 PVE, (one of the newest servers i believe) hit cap during x8. 

TLDR of as much as i remember of the thread for anyone joining at this stage:

Problem = Servers hitting tame caps

Solution 1 - More servers.

Pros - More room for new players. More potential Dino storage room. 

Cons - Short term solution (based on future playerbase), problem likely to come back soon. Financial outlay by WC.

Solution 2 - Remove taming caps

Pros - We can tame / breed again (yay!).

Cons - only a very short time before server becomes unplayable again due to unimaginable lag for all and near constant crash, hardware dies.  

Solution 3 - Change Player / Tribe / Server cap numbers / mechanics

Pros - We may be able to tame / breed again. 

Cons - Some tribes / players forced to mass cull. Dependent on numbers may not even fix problem. Players will always find ways around it (tribe full? split tribe into alliance. Alliance full? Alt account etc etc).

Solution 4 - Change / Remove kibble system

Pros - Reduced need for mass egg farms, reducing amount of tamed dinos.

Cons - Slots freed up from culled eggers taken up by other dinos / transfers in from others storing their dinos. Removal of a core mechanic in the game that works well as an enjoyable breeding "progression tree" (for some). Short term solution at best. 

Solution 5 - Ageing Dinos / Dino death timers

Pros - Forces turnover of tamed dinos. Would probably help with storage of mass dinos on other servers. 

Cons - May make matters worse as people will breed their eggers together to make replacement eggers before the current ones are dead. Breeders who need large stocks of dinos to effectively breed with current timers / cooldowns forced to breed even more to compensate. 

Solution 6 - A device (non Tek) that could be used to store dinos, that could possibly require food deposited too, and auto collected the eggs from any dinos inside.

Pros - Eliminate the need for egg farms entirely whilst preserving current kibble system. Allows breeders to store some of their stock that they aren't actively mating. The extra safety of the dino being stored and ungriefable would actively encourage people to store their dinos inside it, instead of live on the server. 

Cons - Necessary rework of how Oviraptors work. Slight lessening of aesthetic aviaries and such. Honestly i am struggling for cons here :-D

Apologies if i missed anyone's suggestion. Please attribute it to my bad memory / time of day and not your own input :)

Next thing....

On 11/9/2017 at 4:20 AM, Ranger1 said:

There really, really needs to be an understanding that on official PVE servers a creature cap is an intentional and very necessary game mechanic... and that unlimited taming and breeding of creatures to add to your collection was never promoted to be a feature of the game.  Yes, you can continue to do both to your heart's content but that also requires you to make hard choices as to which creatures must go to make room for the new additions.

I try to avoid making "real life" comparisons, but this is exactly the same situation that actual farmers and ranchers must make every year.  They must determine how much livestock their land and resources can support, determine how many they can afford to breed each season, and make those hard choices on which animals will be slaughtered and which ones will be allowed to survive.  Any other course of action leads to the ruin of not only their land, but of their livelihood as well.  

If you want to do unlimited (or nearly unlimited) breeding or creature collection, official PVE servers with large populations are not the environment for it.  They are instead the environment for interesting and often large builds (within reason), developing cooperative communities, and trade in a large non-pvp oriented environment that adheres to the rather strict (and necessary) restrictions of a completely vanilla playing experience (which includes a creature cap).  If you want greater flexibility to breed or collect creatures, and/or the ability to tailor the playing environment to your own tastes, that is what private servers are for. 

That choice is yours to make as you see fit, but despite the fact that improvements and optimizations will continue to come that will delay hitting the creature cap to one degree or another, it is a still a choice that you must ultimately make.

Most people are not asking for unlimited taming, they are asking for the individual / tribe cap to be reworked so that the few are not able to ruin it for the many. We will adapt and find new ways to play with lower caps, or with any actual enforced rule, provided it IS enforced and reliable, and does not cause the entire server to become unplayable through no fault of most of the individual players (some would say no fault of ANY player as they are only doing what the game allows). 

Your real life comparisons, in this and later quotes, are moot because in real life we have laws, enforceable laws, to punish those who negatively effect the lives of others. This is not real life and we have no such tools. One person can take up 5% (or thereabouts) of the server tame cap. even if only 70 people played on the server (which is generous) less than 10% of them could destroy the game for others. 

On 11/9/2017 at 5:43 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

At some point in the game, much as in life, people have to take some personal responsibility for their actions.

You then continue to address the problem, in this and later quotes, as if any 1 person/tribe/alliance has control over the tame cap of their server. If they did then i would agree wholeheartedly, but the fact is they do not. The way the mechanics stand at present, 8 people working together can (and in some cases are) causing the cap on MANY servers as once current server is full, store dinos on a different one until that's full. You cannot simple respond with "lay in the bed you made" when it is a blanket punishment that not all people contributed to, and leave them with 0 tools to enforce any kind of community guideline or boundry. 

On 11/9/2017 at 5:51 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

I'm being plenty light :)

The cap isn't going anywhere, it's a necessary evil due to hardware limitations.

If somebody want's to tame everything on the map and hit the cap, it's on them.

Again the majority understand this completely and welcome a more harsh cap applied to PLAYERS/TRIBES, just not the server with the current mechanics. And yes, it is on the people who want to tame everything that moves (I'm not criticizing this game play style) to maintain their own things and take responsibility...but with the numbers as they stand, it only takes a few to NOT do this and EVERYONE is punished. Simply saying "well they should" is not good enough. 

For my own part, here's my suggestion(s):

- Leave the kibble system as is. 

- Implement Solution 6 above. No change needed in server / player / tribe cap values, but allow each player 50 ACTIVE dinos at any 1 time (number can be tweaked) and the rest of their cap in storage. The device would need to  be metal ofc, and maybe have a cooldown timer on moving it? Foodstuffs and eggs could behave as if they were in a trough with regards to spoil timers. This would mean it would be impossible to have more than 3500 dinos active at any 1 time on a server. Those dinos under ORP protection are immortal anyway, temporarily upload them until a tribe member logs back on.   

- Give each player a "Home beacon" that can be placed and moved (again on a cooldown?) that emits ORP to buildings and dinos within its range. The range could grow as the owner levels, maybe even have some progress milestones (irrigate it? + 10% radius! Added electrical power to it? + 15% radius etc). This would help keep the dino numbers down of careless owners who leave them all over the place and log off for a week, again. Would also help (solve?) the problems of obelisk blocking & pillar spamming on PVE. Possible cons are pillar spamming is sometimes done to protect high value areas, this would no longer work without a major sacrifice from some players for their beacons + depending on the radius of the beacon, some people may be restricted with their preferred base builds. 

Thank you for reading all this, apologies for length *guffaw*. Disclaimer - everything here is my opinion only, everything refers to PVE only, i am open to adult discussion about anything here. :)

26 minutes ago, reapertg said:

Solution 6 - A device (non Tek) that could be used to store dinos, that could possibly require food deposited too, and auto collected the eggs from any dinos inside.

Pros - Eliminate the need for egg farms entirely whilst preserving current kibble system. Allows breeders to store some of their stock that they aren't actively mating. The extra safety of the dino being stored and ungriefable would actively encourage people to store their dinos inside it, instead of live on the server. 

Cons - Necessary rework of how Oviraptors work. Slight lessening of aesthetic aviaries and such. Honestly i am struggling for cons here :-D

Seems like a doable solution. If any devs reads this....

btw i dont care, and i think many dont what happens than with oviraptors, if we have servers, where we can tame and breed.

Yesterday evening Center200PVE Capped too...... I destroyed raft that i dont use, and killed some dinos. Some other players did this too, but it is still(or again) capped.

I would give you a big LIKE if i could.

24 minutes ago, Michi76 said:

Seems like a doable solution. If any devs reads this....

I agree this is a good, perhaps the best solution.    I imagine there are pvp implications i.e hiding your raiding dinos in storage making them untouchable when not in use.  Perhaps framing it as being 'deep' storage, that is, with a long cool down.  So if you break out a dino, it's gonna be live and present for a while.  Will make you think more about what to store and what to keep out.   

There are other boons as well...  Bases wouldn't need to be as big.  Less structures and therefore less lag.  Smaller tribes could get a footing easier when starting out.  I like this idea but I can't comment on how technically feasible it is.

Good ideas really.  But I kinda feel like the dev team is busier with finishing S+ stripdown/integration and Abberation, so until that is done and out, I think all we will see is a temporary solution. 

The solution #6 idea sounds good, but sounds like if it WERE to be implemented it would be a tek-tier thing...  Sounds too advanced to be a normal tier item.

27 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

Good ideas really.  But I kinda feel like the dev team is busier with finishing S+ stripdown/integration and Abberation, so until that is done and out, I think all we will see is a temporary solution. 

The solution #6 idea sounds good, but sounds like if it WERE to be implemented it would be a tek-tier thing...  Sounds too advanced to be a normal tier item.

That's why I think the obelisk should be used for it. It already has short-term storage capabilities. Maybe toss in a level based capacity requirement. "Level 1-5 dinos, Level 2-10 dinos, etc."

19 hours ago, reapertg said:

- Give each player a "Home beacon" that can be placed and moved (again on a cooldown?) that emits ORP to buildings and dinos within its range. The range could grow as the owner levels, maybe even have some progress milestones (irrigate it? + 10% radius! Added electrical power to it? + 15% radius etc). This would help keep the dino numbers down of careless owners who leave them all over the place and log off for a week, again. Would also help (solve?) the problems of obelisk blocking & pillar spamming on PVE. Possible cons are pillar spamming is sometimes done to protect high value areas, this would no longer work without a major sacrifice from some players for their beacons + depending on the radius of the beacon, some people may be restricted with their preferred base builds. 

An overall excellent post and I am particularly interested in this new idea above that you added. Other games already use something similar to great success. 7 Days To Die makes use of land claim blocks. Anything within a certain distance is owned by whoever places the block. I especially like how you can expand the influence of your version by progressing through the game. New players would have to work towards establishing themselves before taking over huge swaths of land and blocking other new players from trying to set up a homestead as well.

Only problem I see is that the people of Wildcard aren't very creative when it comes to game systems. The building system being a prime example. I think a modder would need to take the initiative and create a robust version of your idea and then have it implemented into the game just like with the building mod. I'd rather not see it added into the game half-assed like the no build areas on official servers.

edit: The addition of less powerful beacons for outposts would be nice. I have a number of public taming pens scattered about the server I'm on. As well as a mining facility.

6 hours ago, Vrallox said:

edit: The addition of less powerful beacons for outposts would be nice. I have a number of public taming pens scattered about the server I'm on. As well as a mining facility.

A big part of my gameplay. Would this beacon prohibit me from being able to protect my tame with wooden spike walls from the likes of troodon's or raptors or sabers if it wasn't dropped in my immediate home beacon area? 

Without smaller less powerful beacon's you are encouraging people to build as close as possible to valuable resource/dino spawns as opposed to leaving a small spawn point in an area with a quick base or even a secondary base that houses dino's to better complete the tasks in a particular area. This would make certain areas more no go then they already are since people like to build right on top of each other. Viking Bay and Blue Ob are off limits on my server mostly. Green ob and Red ob are starting to follow suit. Was like that on Legacy as well (not blue ob so much on the Island.) 

For this to truly be a thing then an overhaul and comprehensive protection system needs to be implemented in Ark that actively prevents building on certain dino/resource spawns. My server is pretty much dead for Theri spawns. I found one still fairly active and before I could protect it some noob decided a nice thatch hut right on the edge of the water was a great idea. I don't think it was malicious. It is a beautiful un-built area that has a decent amount of resources near and a centralized location. However it never occurred to him why such a great area may not have anything built on it. I haven't seen a Theri spawn in that area in a week despite several daily massacres of the wildlife. The one saving grace is his house is down to 2 days. I am watching that timer closely and hoping he has either moved to a different server or game and it elapses so I can properly protect that area. 

For each good idea listed above a rework needs to be done for to other aspects of the game before it can be enacted. 

On 11/15/2017 at 11:37 AM, Atomix said:

I agree this is a good, perhaps the best solution.    I imagine there are pvp implications i.e hiding your raiding dinos in storage making them untouchable when not in use.  Perhaps framing it as being 'deep' storage, that is, with a long cool down.  So if you break out a dino, it's gonna be live and present for a while.  Will make you think more about what to store and what to keep out.

In all honesty the suggestions about a home beacon & about the Digital Dino Storage / Dino Barn were 100% orientated as a PVE solution. I personally do not play pvp but cant imagine the addition of either of those 2 suggestions would sit well in a pvp setting. The tame cap limit seems to be more a PVE problem (as far as i can tell, maybe im wrong?) and these suggestions are aimed at that. 

Unsure about the long cooldown, it has pro's and con's too, but both would be playable and people could adapt playstyles to either. 

12 hours ago, Vrallox said:

That's why I think the obelisk should be used for it. It already has short-term storage capabilities. Maybe toss in a level based capacity requirement. "Level 1-5 dinos, Level 2-10 dinos, etc."

That's a good suggestion, as by the time dino storage begins to become an issue for you, you should have the capability to move them to the obelisks. However there would need to be some kind of non-tek remote access system to at least deposit food / collect eggs. If not the obelisks would become inundated with meat farm dinos and industrial cookers. 

12 hours ago, Vrallox said:

The addition of less powerful beacons for outposts would be nice. I have a number of public taming pens scattered about the server I'm on. As well as a mining facility.

Well that's where the home beacon promotes teamwork, more tribe members, more beacons. but i agree, some people (myself mostly included) either prefer to play solo or find themselves without choice, but either way they would be restricted. so how about instead of per person, per tribe? Each tribe gets a home beacon and say 2 outpost beacons of a smaller size. Again maybe achievement milestones could increase the number & range of these beacons?

5 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

A big part of my gameplay. Would this beacon prohibit me from being able to protect my tame with wooden spike walls from the likes of troodon's or raptors or sabers if it wasn't dropped in my immediate home beacon area? 

No, the home beacon suggestion i am making only affects ORP. It wouldn't grant a magical shield, or in fact change any other mechanic other than the range of the structures protected by ORP when no-one is online. This is to prevent people leaving such spike walls as you refer to inside high resource areas that stay there for weeks and weeks. Same for dinos clogging up the obelisks (provided no home beacon can be placed near obelisk of course). The exact same rules that dictate if you can drop those spike walls now would still apply with this in place. it just means that, if you forget to take them after you are done, someone else can at least (with some messing about) remove them. 

5 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Without smaller less powerful beacon's you are encouraging people to build as close as possible to valuable resource/dino spawns as opposed to leaving a small spawn point in an area with a quick base or even a secondary base that houses dino's to better complete the tasks in a particular area. 

For this to truly be a thing then an overhaul and comprehensive protection system needs to be implemented in Ark that actively prevents building on certain dino/resource spawns. My server is pretty much dead for Theri spawns. 

I agree wholeheartedly, and it was the points you made here that made me rethink the suggestion about smaller outpost beacons earlier in this post (so thank you :) ). The other good thing about the beacon idea is, if people DO lay small buildings that effect spawns and haven't used their outpost beacon, you can just remove it later. If they have, then you are only back at how you are waiting on decay timers now, so no change. 

Thank you all so far for the constructive comments so far. A couple of points i just want to be 100% clear on however... All suggestions that i have made / opinions i have voiced are all focused on fixing the PVE taming cap issue, I am fully aware some of them would actually ruin the quality of life for PVP servers. Also any suggestion related to the storage of dinos / home beacon / new tech to solve this issue MUST be below Tek tier. To access Tek engrams you need to either have a LOT of resources to trade with or a LOT of dinos to breed / tame. Any player / tribe will need access to the new solution to be able to reach Tek in the 1st place.

another load of new people that could have loved your game Wild Card.

Day by day our server turns new people away from your game when they ask "why can't I tame a dinosaur?" 

Telling them to try a different server, go to the forums and complain or even just ask for a steam refund when we cannot be bothered explaining the situation again.

This is a massive issue for you guys and I only pray that for both our sakes you're delaying aberation to concentrate your attention completely on this.

9 hours ago, Jacira said:

another load of new people that could have loved your game Wild Card.

Day by day our server turns new people away from your game when they ask "why can't I tame a dinosaur?" 

Telling them to try a different server, go to the forums and complain or even just ask for a steam refund when we cannot be bothered explaining the situation again.

This is a massive issue for you guys and I only pray that for both our sakes you're delaying aberation to concentrate your attention completely on this.

That's what happened way back when our server hit the cap. I didn't like how others went about it. Some went beyond rude in trying to drive people off. I would have loved to invite the new players to my tribe so they'd have eggers, dinos, and a place to set up but the tribe system doesn't allow it. Give someone the minimum permissions available and even if it's PvE they can still destroy all structures and animals.

They actually took a step in the right direction with removing claiming. I was quite surprised that they'd actually do that. Bravo to them!

Unfortunately, there is still plenty of work required to help servers avoid hitting the server dino cap. While they did finally do something concerning it I'm still not convinced that's all they'll do. Hopefully there are more pleasant surprises in store.

Breeding is fun, and I get why people enjoy it.  I think mass breeding is honestly bad and a big part of the reason that server caps are now becoming an issue.  I agree that this is not a player issue , so much as a WC issue.  A suggestion or thought that I had, was to add a specialized section to the breeding.  Where you are only allowed to choose one or two animals that you are able to specialize in, and breed.  Within that specializing, you are only allowed to have so many of that type.  I feel this would help cut down a lot of the 'mass' issue we have happening, and also, would promote trading, and buying as people would need to do so, to acquire all breeds.

Just a thought.

Hmmm. I'm not sure what I think about this. To be honest. I think the biggest problem is people don't fully understand what they are doing when they breed for selling, I mean sure they might know how to breed a super stat dino. And they might even know how much they can easily get for it. But the problem is supply is way higher then the demand. I have seen servers where people have 40 doed's and or 30 wyverns for sale in a single tribe, Just sitting there taking up server space, Sure they might sell 1 or 2, in a few weeks they might even get lucky enough to sell 10, doubtful, but could happen. But they will never sell all of those. So now they just clutter the server. And sad as it is, People will never be responsible over the internet. They is no repercussion. Until there is, It won't change, Wild Card definitely needs to find a better way to combat the situation. I don't really know how, Maybe longer breeding intervals, As well as a  cool down once a baby reaches maturity? I don't know. But something definitely needs to be figured out. I have a base on 3 servers and all 3 of them have been dino's capped for over a month, And from what i'm reading so are almost every other pve server.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:56 PM, Midnight_ said:

The problem is NOT with the players. People are taming and breeding. THAT is the game. You SHOULD do that.

The problem IS with WC selling more tickets than they have seats to the show that is called Ark. WC is the only "person" responsible for the majority of current servers getting dino capped. The sold X number copy of games and did not create enough servers to support that population.

Solution? There is only one....make more severs. dino cap is 5500 (as I understand it) so only 11 tribes (at 500 dinos per tribe) can be maintained per server. 500x11=5500.  So they need to make 1 server per every 11 tribes. Or some semblance of that. Right now we are at about 50-150 tribes per server. My guess is the average is 100 tribes on any given server. Of course they are all going to dino cap. ...or you could argue about how there are 1 man tribes and 20 man tribes.....happy medium of about 100 dinos per player is in an area of resonable....maybe. So 1 server per 55 players. ...or SOMETHING yeesh..... 

Bump this all day long, This is exactly what I have been preaching on the servers I play on, Trying to smooth over people at each other throats all day long. Everyone wants to blame everyone else for breeding. When  They are only playing the game, It is 100% WC fault the servers are capped.

On 8/11/2017 at 4:56 AM, Midnight_ said:

The problem is NOT with the players. People are taming and breeding. THAT is the game. You SHOULD do that.

The problem IS with WC selling more tickets than they have seats to the show that is called Ark. WC is the only "person" responsible for the majority of current servers getting dino capped. The sold X number copy of games and did not create enough servers to support that population.

Solution? There is only one....make more severs. dino cap is 5500 (as I understand it) so only 11 tribes (at 500 dinos per tribe) can be maintained per server. 500x11=5500.  So they need to make 1 server per every 11 tribes. Or some semblance of that. Right now we are at about 50-150 tribes per server. My guess is the average is 100 tribes on any given server. Of course they are all going to dino cap. ...or you could argue about how there are 1 man tribes and 20 man tribes.....happy medium of about 100 dinos per player is in an area of resonable....maybe. So 1 server per 55 players. ...or SOMETHING yeesh..... 

Yeah, but so long time after first servers capped wildcard still ignore this, it is breaking the pve game 

On 17/11/2017 at 11:47 PM, Vrallox said:

That's what happened way back when our server hit the cap. I didn't like how others went about it. Some went beyond rude in trying to drive people off. I would have loved to invite the new players to my tribe so they'd have eggers, dinos, and a place to set up but the tribe system doesn't allow it. Give someone the minimum permissions available and even if it's PvE they can still destroy all structures and animals.

They actually took a step in the right direction with removing claiming. I was quite surprised that they'd actually do that. Bravo to them!

Unfortunately, there is still plenty of work required to help servers avoid hitting the server dino cap. While they did finally do something concerning it I'm still not convinced that's all they'll do. Hopefully there are more pleasant surprises in store.

you can actually set it so they aren't allowed to demolish structures. If you set it to admin demolish in the tribe governance and don't promote them to admin. Unfortunately this has it's own limitations if they ever want to build their own base somewhere else.

On 11/8/2017 at 2:56 PM, Midnight_ said:

Can't express how much I agree with this. Our Island server 207 his cap today, and our SE server is well on the way with 4 new bases being built called 'dino storage/egg farm'. But with the official word being, we're not releasing new servers. I don't see hope. https://twitter.com/thelilpanda/status/928018542464847872/

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, JahiraTor said:

Can't express how much I agree with this. Our Island server 207 his cap today, and our SE server is well on the way with 4 new bases being built called 'dino storage/egg farm'. But with the official word being, we're not releasing new servers. I don't see hope. https://twitter.com/thelilpanda/status/928018542464847872/

What you're agreeing to would hold weight if only it weren't for the fact that people who feel so wronged at the cap limitations weren't gaming the system. I mean, making alt tribes to hold their dinos, then offloading those dinos to other servers, essentially making said servers into a parking lot, etc. etc.

If more servers were to be opened up, that would just lead to more people making their alt tribes to offload more of the dino they hoard, which leads us back to square one, except that now Wildcard's paying even more for server upkeep with money that could be better put to use with hiring more talent in order to further better the game, or reward modders whose mods may end up being incorporated to the base game.

4 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

What you're agreeing to would hold weight if only it weren't for the fact that people who feel so wronged at the cap limitations weren't gaming the system. I mean, making alt tribes to hold their dinos, then offloading those dinos to other servers, essentially making said servers into a parking lot, etc. etc.

If more servers were to be opened up, that would just lead to more people making their alt tribes to offload more of the dino they hoard, which leads us back to square one, except that now Wildcard's paying even more for server upkeep with money that could be better put to use with hiring more talent in order to further better the game, or reward modders whose mods may end up being incorporated to the base game.

It holds weight even if that were fact. The current dino caps on the new servers are like 5% from players going overboard with taming/breeding and 95% not enough servers to support the number of copies of the game they sold (yes arbitrary numbers....but in the ballpark of what is going on). Yes there are tribes that have more dinos than any one tribe cap limit will allow. But there are also more tribes of new players that have well under 100. I would venture a guess there are more than 20 new tribes that fit that bill per 1 tribe that meets the description you mentioned. So much so that if you had the statistics to actually show how many tribes there are on all new PvE servers the ratio would be well bellow 500 dinos per tribe. End result would clearly show that there are NOT enough servers to support the current habitat of tribes.

WC MUST know this. WC did or should have seen this coming. 

@Eli you have done a great job in other threads communicating to us about other issues and questions. I would argue THIS issue needs some feedback from you most right now. I have not seen any response or even acknowledgement about this issue for anyone at WC. Can we please get something that tells us #1 that you are fully aware of the issue and #2 that you have a solution (like adding enough servers to handle the population of current players) or that you are at least working the problem.

I agree with @ciabattaroll that people should not be able to have alternate survivors on the same account to bypass tribe limits. Right now I could single-handed dino cap any server. Theoretically speaking of course. I could create 11 survivors  each with 500 dinos in their respective and separate tribes totaling 5500 dinos. That would give me (one human player) complete control of an entire server. I just have to park my survivors off the server till I need to log into them and bring them over to feed.....and I don't even have to do that....I can just ally....with myself  and feed them with one account. 

I myself have purchased another copy of the game. So yes I feel that gives me the right to do the above. Once. For that one account I should be able to have 2 tribes on one server for dino management. If WC made it so you had to do it that way you would have less mega tribes. I personally feel you should not be able to have more than one survivor's owned dinos on any given server for the same account.

5 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

I have wondered on this myself, and I agree, I think its an issue that needs more attention than throwing more servers at it.  However, lets look at the maths.  70 people are allowed on a server at any given time, which means more than that are probably playing on the server, over different time zones.  However, to make this a little easier we shall take it on the 70 people theory.  Take the dino cap which is 5500 dinos and divide it by 70, it works out that each player....as long as it is only 70, is really entitled to 78 dinos each.  That is a huge reduction to a tribe limit that is set at 500.  This would mean that you would effectively have to have a tribe with 7 people, to justify owning 500 dinos. 

Lets go one step further and say that with each tribe allowed 500 dinos, there should not be more than 11 tribes allowed on one sever at any given time.  Now we all know that this is simply not the case, that there are way more than 11 tribes on each server.  So the math on this just does not add up.  I can see why people are questioning WC about intentions.  Its not about gaming a system, its about a system not working to what their bought game promises.  Given the math, right now the first thing that is needed is servers, however overall, there needs to be a much better system put in place to fix the issue for good.

I do not mention this to start any arguments about who is breeding what and how many are in their tribe.  I am simply saying that WC need to address this glaring issue which has broken their game.

Archived