Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

9 hours ago, Pic1 said:

Let me explain how extremely, childishly, horrifyingly absurd your logic is: There can be many reasons why people move on. One being they got burnt out of the game. Another could be that they found a better game. Yet another reason might be that their friends are playing a different game now and they wanna play with them. BUT. If a large number of people 'move on' because of the state of the game, you expect them to shut up solely because they 'paid less and played more'? Many people moved on because they were disappointed at the game.

Wanna know why officiall server cap is such a freaking huge issue? Let me spell it out: 80% of this survival game (PVE) is about taming and breeding. If you buy a product and through no fault of your own, you can't use it 80% of the time, will you be satisfied?

There is nothing absurd about the logic, you paid a certain amount of money and got a certain amount of entertainment out of it. In this case you got an incredible value, having gotten more than 2 years of entertainment from a 20 dollar investment. Complaining about that is extremely, childishly, horrifyingly absurd. WHY they moved on is irrelevant. Complaining that your 20 bucks didn't give you more than 2-3 years of actual fun with your friends is ridiculous. You paid for a service, to be entertained. You were entertained for YEARS for a relatively low price, a bargain no matter how you slice it.

Do I expect people to not complain that their modest investment made a substantial return more than tripling it's value? Yes, because complain about that is insane. Because what is really childish, is yelling that the dev's should fix the game for you because 3 years ago you paid them $20, and have since been enjoying the game.

Does WC need to make some headway in this area? Absolutely. Does your 20 dollars from 3 years ago matter in that discussion in any way? Nope, move on.

At the end of the day you paid 20 dollars and have a functioning game. You don't like official online servers because of cap? Then play single player. You can. That is an option. You are complaining that you can't play the game YOUR way and that the devs should cater to your desires because you paid them. Which is silly, and not how games work.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

The cap is not a problem. It's a fact of physics. Just as you can only fit a certain number of people in a car, you can only fit a certain number of dinos on a server.

If you wanted to jam 10 people into a car built for 4, what exactly would you have the car manufacturer do to make that a reality? 

Maybe Wildcard  could try to redesign their mechanics, so the game would stop encourage you to hoard ridiculous amount of dinosaurs to do things fast enough (making gind less pain in the butt, progression, boss fights etc) in game? Is it that much to ask?

Back to conspiracies....i think they implemented the 500 tribe limit knowing the server cap would be reached which would make players quit..which results in less server lag. And since wc has their customers money already they don't care.     It turned me off when our server hit cap.   Needless to say I'm a breeder and have over 50 thyla and 20 doeds and 15 apes. Was working on color muts...I had red doeds and 8 or so different color thylas and red fur and yellow bodied apes that I'm hoping this weekend if I decide to play to can actually get back to trying to get color schemes to mix and for the love of god get some mut male apes. But wc would rather me quit then lag the server.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Back to conspiracies....i think they implemented the 500 tribe limit knowing the server cap would be reached which would make players quit..which results in less server lag. And since wc has their customers money already they don't care

And just how exactly do you grow a gaming company (selling DLCs) by running off your customers?

5 hours ago, HeatherJo said:

Enjoyment? I think not, just a waste of 20$ And a couple years hoping, and what’s funny is we would have paid a lot more if the game actually would have worked, but really I feel bad for all the new players that forked out money for a “full release” version of the game only to be stuck with a broken, half finished, capped experience, it’s them that deserve a full refund.  And really should be demanding one. 

1. That would be me, I forked out $120 dollars for me and a friend to play, and I can't say I'm disappointed. We play on the island, where the max number of players ever reached is around 30 on an official PVP. Never hit dino cap, don't see the game as half finished, and it certainly isn't broken. Still working out some bugs, but saying the game is unplayable is not even sort of true.

2. Are you really trying to say that you poured hours of your life into a video game, while not once enjoying a moment of it? Because I don't buy that for a second. Twenty bucks is a decent meal at a nice restaurant, a movie date, a board game, or a small edible from Colorado. Saying that you didn't get equal or greater enjoyment from this game, but kept playing it for years, is exactly why I said it was absurd

There are plenty of reasons for Wild Card to make improvements, you buying it in Alpha and not wanting to continue to play after years of play is not one of them.

5 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

And just how exactly do you grow a gaming company (selling DLCs) by running off your customers?

Say 100 people buy the game. 80 buy the 60 dollar version. 5600? 20 buy the 100 dollar version. 2000....7600. Then say those 100 players are on a server. 10 stay for awhile and move on to another game. The 90 stay for a bit longer. 70 of them start to complain on server performance. Say out of the 90 50 decide to power through. Due to server performance though 20 bail out completely. 50 players left...the server is better now with less players. Now one new dlc is out. 20 bucks. 30 decide to buy it. 600 bucks vs the initial 7600. The money they make with dlc compared to the actual game is near nothing. This math might be right lol and just random numbers not facts. The point is WC got their money from release not dlc. 

1 minute ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Say 100 people buy the game. 80 buy the 60 dollar version. 5600? 20 buy the 100 dollar version. 2000....7600. Then say those 100 players are on a server. 10 stay for awhile and move on to another game. The 90 stay for a bit longer. 70 of them start to complain on server performance. Say out of the 90 50 decide to power through. Due to server performance though 20 bail out completely. 50 players left...the server is better now with less players. Now one new dlc is out. 20 bucks. 30 decide to buy it. 600 bucks vs the initial 7600. The money they make with dlc compared to the actual game is near nothing. This math might be right lol and just random numbers not facts. The point is WC got their money from release not dlc. 

Lol bad math I'm on lunch and it's cold forgive me.

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

You've missed my point entirely.

A software company only continues to stay a company by continuing to sell products. An initial product release only buys you time until the next release. You don't just sit back and go "Oh hell, great first release guys. Were good on cashflow now"

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

You've missed my point entirely.

A software company only continues to stay a company by continuing to sell products. An initial product release only buys you time until the next release. You don't just sit back and go "Oh hell, great first release guys. Were good on cashflow now"

Your missing my point. Due to their incompetence with working on the DLC vs working on the kibble rework for instance. They could've got 50 customers to fork over another 20 bucks each. But due to server issues and what not they will not receive additional money from me. And I'm guessing 1000s of other possible customers won't either. Which is bad cause I love the game. 

3 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

The cap is not a problem.

Lets say for example the cap is 100 dinos total per server (because of hardware limitation) which means you would get maybe 1 dino to tame.  Would you think that was ok because it's a hardware limitation and WC need to prevent servers from dying.  No, of course you wouldn't, it would be completely unacceptable for WC to design a game that didn't actually allow people to play (or would you blame all the people who tamed 1 dodo, or that 1 person who tamed 10 dodos?).

So even you would agree that a cap that prevents people from playing is unacceptable.  This is the current situation, except the actual numbers are larger.  But the crux of the problem is the same.  WC are responsible for the game.

The cap IS a problem, but it's also a necessary evil.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Your missing my point. Due to their incompetence with working on the DLC vs working on the kibble rework for instance. They could've got 50 customers to fork over another 20 bucks each. But due to server issues and what not they will not receive additional money from me. And I'm guessing 1000s of other possible customers won't either. Which is bad cause I love the game. 

I understand your point. 

I'm telling you it's inconsistent with the numbers WC have and reality.

1 hour ago, Glerian said:

You are complaining that you can't play the game YOUR way and that the devs should cater to your desires because you paid them.

I guess I will have to continuously spell everything out to you, or you just don't want to admit it because of your ego. Either ways, here we go: The reason for quitting is vitally relevant because it affects the company's reputation or goodwill. If I stop using a product because I am disappointed with it, I will be much less inclined towards using anything that company produces in the future. What do you think gaming companies provide these forums for? So people like you can tell us to move on? No, they use forums to collect FEEDBACK. And if you honestly think that people should be grateful just because they got some services for "a low price", I hope for your sake you never develop anything.

The discussed way of playing isn't MINE or YOURS. It's Wildcard's official way. On their official servers. And let me repeat what I said in another thread a week or so ago: If wildcard wants to sell a product of theirs, they should expect more than 50 people to buy it. And they should try to accommodate them all or change their setup.

28 minutes ago, Pic1 said:

I guess I will have to continuously spell everything out to you, or you just don't want to admit it because of your ego. Either ways, here we go: The reason for quitting is vitally relevant because it affects the company's reputation or goodwill. If I stop using a product because I am disappointed with it, I will be much less inclined towards using anything that company produces in the future. What do you think gaming companies provide these forums for? So people like you can tell us to move on? No, they use forums to collect FEEDBACK. And if you honestly think that people should be grateful just because they got some services for "a low price", I hope for your sake you never develop anything.

The discussed way of playing isn't MINE or YOURS. It's Wildcard's official way. On their official servers. And let me repeat what I said in another thread a week or so ago: If wildcard wants to sell a product of theirs, they should expect more than 50 people to buy it. And they should try to accommodate them all or change their setup.

Lol look, I clearly get your point, but that doesn't make it any more relevant. Why you are walking away doesn't matter when discussing whether or not you got your moneys worth. You can "explain" until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that you paid for a service and you got a use out of it. Period, end of story. Using that you paid as justification for fixing a different problem is dumb. But framing the discussion on what Wildcard, a software developer, should do because you paid for something, used it successfully, and now no longer wish to continue is still a stupid thing to do. I can see that you don't agree, bully for you. But that doesn't change the fact that the original statement has no validity in the discussion. Using the fact that you spent 20 dollars on the game years ago as justification as to why you DESERVE for Wildcard to fix a problem YOU have with the game is really ridiculous.

This is a sandbox game, there is no "official" way to play. Their servers allow certain things, and you can do whatever you want inside of those parameters. You are complaining that one specific avenue of game play is less enjoyable for you. That doesn't mean the game is broken, or that other people won't buy the game, or that your complaint is even valid. You are free to explore other avenues of game play, to use other servers, to play single player, etc.

Lol Wildcard has sold more than 7 MILLION copies of the game, there is no way they can accommodate everyone.

1 hour ago, Jacira said:

All these amazing different ways to solve the issue when the simplest is still to bring out more servers. 

Yes this is the simplist and most obvious option, but its not a complete fix only a short term solution. We'll just end back up at this point say 6 months down the line without other changes aswell.

1 hour ago, Jacira said:

All these amazing different ways to solve the issue when the simplest is still to bring out more servers. 

I agree with you. However, for a good portion of the player base, it’s too late. We needed more servers on release day. WC shut down a large portion of PC servers and gave PC only a handful of new ones. The amount of players on my server has dropped considerably and thus are moving on to other games.

3 hours ago, Jacira said:

2 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Yes this is the simplist and most obvious option, but its not a complete fix only a short term solution. We'll just end back up at this point say 6 months down the line without other changes aswell.

2 hours ago, Carnage08 said:

I agree with you. However, for a good portion of the player base, it’s too late. We needed more servers on release day. WC shut down a large portion of PC servers and gave PC only a handful of new ones. The amount of players on my server has dropped considerably and thus are moving on to other games.

This doesn't even go to the fact that if you have built up even a little bit most people aren't going to leave their current server. A few might, the ones who truly enjoy building and didn't get a chance to build the base exactly how they wanted to might but the vast majority aren't going to want to "start over" or transfer over a large amount of dino's. They may even only take half of their dino's which will only give half the relief. 

No the dino cap while a product of WC's poor decision making is still on the servers community to resolve if they want to continue to progress. People can stomp their feet and shout at WC all they want but as you can see by their lack of response they will not fix this issue, we have to. 

15 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

This doesn't even go to the fact that if you have built up even a little bit most people aren't going to leave their current server. A few might, the ones who truly enjoy building and didn't get a chance to build the base exactly how they wanted to might but the vast majority aren't going to want to "start over" or transfer over a large amount of dino's. They may even only take half of their dino's which will only give half the relief. 

No the dino cap while a product of WC's poor decision making is still on the servers community to resolve if they want to continue to progress. People can stomp their feet and shout at WC all they want but as you can see by their lack of response they will not fix this issue, we have to. 

but we can't that's the problem. Because the only way we can fix it is to avoid it. Be it quit the game or go play unofficial. People wont buy their dlc and new people wont pick up the game if word keeps spreading about not even being able to play it anymore. It's just minecraft now. And new people can't even play that because they can't tame the dinos required to progress quick enough anymore. No one is going to build a full metal base, industrial forges, industrial cooker, chem station etc.. with a primitive pick axe.

This is much bigger than just stomping and shouting. People react differently and some people are more articulate than others. But if WC can't see through all the bull to understand that people are just trying to give feedback about their game. Then it might be the end of Ark. This server cap will be the death of Ark.

So many people are not playing and I have no strong desire myself.

New servers will stem the tide. Legacy servers may have gotten capped every now and then but never has Ark had so many capped servers as now.

19 minutes ago, Jacira said:

but we can't that's the problem

But you can with self sacrifice and discipline. 

I detailed this earlier in the post. Over the 8x event our server became dino capped 4 or 5 times and each time we got below and since then we are operating as normal with an increased awareness of how close we are. It needs to be resolved as a community though. The quick and easy way to do it is the biggest tribes all voluntarily kill 10% of their dino's. You have 500, kill 50, you have 150, kill 15. If each and every large tribe does this, boom server cap is solved. Anybody with over 100 dino's should contribute and yes there are 10% of your dino's that can be killed. 

1st gen dino's, an extra dino in your kibble farm, and sometimes you even have to off a good dino. I killed 20 in 10 minutes when we got server capped. I reduced to 3 scorpions from 5 since I had over 330 scorpion eggs stored. I killed a 270 and 260 saber because I had their offspring with their highest stats combined already. I killed off the original Anky's (all 250+) we had, the one with 460 weight, the one with 6160 hp, the one with 375 melee, the ones that only got two of the 3 stats because we had ones with the 3 stats. 

All you have to do is be willing to and have other tribes be willing to make these sacrifices to be able to progress forward as a community. If the others are unwilling then you are in a toxic community and should have no problem moving to a more community oriented server anyway.

So examine what you have, know how you want to progress, get people to destroy unused rafts, get people to destroy small builds on platforms that aren't really necessary (That counts as 19 right there), work towards creating an egg trade market (i recommend for imprinting) where tribe A supplies these eggs freeing up Tribe B to kiill the same dino in exchange for Tribe B supplying this egg freeing up Tribe A to kill off that dino (this one is a little trickier and I haven't had success with it yet but I will continue to push for it), and once you get to the point be very wary of your future tames and breeds and raises. 

It's not right, you shouldn't have to make these choices, but if you want to do anything  more than mine metal and build it is something that needs to be done but on a community scale because WC is not going to increase server cap (their servers can't handle what they currently have) and any new servers will probably be geared towards Abberation so the only other choice is to move on. 

2 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Yeah good point. I guess I could be vague and stick a change in community behaviour under "other changes" aswell. 

Anythinnnnnng from the real game devs on this?  This cannot be the vision of the dev team, a bunch of tame-capped servers...  As fun as ARK is, this problem has to be in the crosshairs of Jeremy and CO.

Anything, @Jeremy Stieglitz?  We'd love it, even if the answer is "get stuffed, servers fill up lol".  But the silence is painful, as we sit in tribes with 80 dinos and 4 players, on tame-capped servers.

Archived