Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, spicer1209 said:

I wonder how long before people realize there really is no viable solution to this problem. Because if you really think about it and are truthful with yourself....you will realize there isn't. 

Your right there is no solution to it. People fail to realize the impact on the servers when you're near the cap. Or when there are 70 players on the server. Server performance very bad when it comes to its limits. Increasing the limit will only further hurt performance. 

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, spicer1209 said:

I wonder how long before people realize there really is no viable solution to this problem. Because if you really think about it and are truthful with yourself....you will realize there isn't. 

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

This is the simple fact of the matter. A server's resources to run the game are finite. Once you use them all up, the game crashes.

There absolutely has to be a limit on objects built in an area and dinos tamed on a server. Period. There is no way around that.

Kayd explained it very well during his interview at the Extra Life event. He said there is a limit. It's not going anywhere. It's a matter of simple physics.

And in short people are going to have to find ways to live with it. He said is/as hardware would allow, they might change the cap but it's there to stay.

I am so tired of the argument of "Ark shouldn't cap us!"

Here is the best solution;

1) If you are the type of player who wants to hoard, and/or you have fifteen different complaints about why Official servers are so bad, then please, go play single player or unofficial. If you say "Oh but they wipe, or it's not social" Then run your own and shut the hell up.

2) Dev, DROP the cap. LOWER it. Do not lift it. We do not need more people hoarding. On the official I play on, one tribe has now split into 2 tribes to accommodate their 500+ animals. They are two players. Some of us think they may be one really bored and lonely player pretending to be his wife, but regardless, two players with 500+ dinos. Okay. Force tribes to only have 250 or 300 dinos. Keep the server cap at the old 5500.  Those of us who aren't selfish little compies can respect a cap and work with it. 250 is more than enough dinos, mind you I play PVE. You, WC, do everything for PVP players, not us lowlife PVE players. Like your flier nerf? ... that reminds me..

4) Not related to the cap, but for the love of all dinosaurs, make two rulesets. One for PVP where fliers are nerfed, and one for PVE where they aren't. It's absurd that the PVE community on your game is punished for the way the PVP community players. Newsflash, you do have a PVE community, a large one, and we shouldn't be forced to play by the same restrictions as those who engage in PVP and/or exploit things in PVP

3) Most importantly, give us more servers. Give us REAL NA hosted servers, not "This says NA but is OC." And give the ever growing Asian community a place to play. Just a suggestion. 

stop the buying selling trading of dinos would help the cap and keep it down and making it where you can not bring dinos from other servers over would also help.

Ex. breeding wyverns on rag,se bringing them to the center,island and selling the wyverns. If wyverns were supposed to be on that map I'm sure they would of made it where you can get and tame them on those maps.

I see a lot of selling of dinos and such on my server and have been by a lot of big tribe bases and they have more then enough dinos for there tribe but they keep so many around to be able to sell to other players if ya want wyverns play on a map that there made to be on if ya cant or don't have time to tame and expand your dinos boos rexs, ect maybe this isn't the game for you. Put in the work to get what you need not go spend some getting ingots to trade for a boss rex set and then jump right into end game.

27 minutes ago, turtle59 said:

stop the buying selling trading of dinos would help the cap and keep it down and making it where you can not bring dinos from other servers over would also help.

Ex. breeding wyverns on rag,se bringing them to the center,island and selling the wyverns. If wyverns were supposed to be on that map I'm sure they would of made it where you can get and tame them on those maps.

I see a lot of selling of dinos and such on my server and have been by a lot of big tribe bases and they have more then enough dinos for there tribe but they keep so many around to be able to sell to other players if ya want wyverns play on a map that there made to be on if ya cant or don't have time to tame and expand your dinos boos rexs, ect maybe this isn't the game for you. Put in the work to get what you need not go spend some getting ingots to trade for a boss rex set and then jump right into end game.

So you are suggesting people should breed up their own rexes  instead of buying better ones? That would help the dino cap? By breeding more generations of rexes? What the f are you talking about?

On 10/28/2017 at 12:57 AM, HeatherJo said:

If you are New or looking to try Ragnarok on official here’s just a helpful hint that will save you loads of time...don’t bother.

Ragnarok has the potentential to be a great map but unfortunately like most of ark it is overloaded with issues.  The map is unfinished, the map is broke, Dino mechanics are broke, Dino spawns are broke, the lag is beyond Rediculous, with every new update crashes become worse, now there is dashboarding 20 plus times a day which didn’t even exist on our server before the  last update.  Then after you fight through all that mentioned above just to try and be able to play the game and try to enjoy it, sorry your server is now capped.  So after thousands of hours invested too bad so sad your game is now done.  

So what’s  the point in playing, you can’t tame anything. You can’t raise anything  all your efforts and and work are completely useless.  After just months most Ragnarok servers are now dead servers. I guess you could pack up and move, but with idiotic OB timers and just the general headache of moving that’s pointless.  Besides didn’t we just do that when they shut down our servers with the promise of new servers?  So the answer is just keep migrating lol I think not.  How about actually releasing new servers to accommodate the amount of people playing.  How about forget new content like Aberration and actually fix the  exisng content you just released broke and unfinished a few months back that has now become obsolete.  

So what, wildcards answer is to just release broken new content every few months so we can bounce around endlessly getting nowhere.  Sounds silly to me.  I would actually like to play the game, tame things, raise Dino’s, fight bosses, ascend, but none of that is really possible.  On our server we basically sit around and stare at each other now because there is really no point in playing that we have reached the server cap.  Find a new server you say?  Nope, pointless, most are in same boat as us.  How about realease new servers now that’s a novel idea. Not trying to be negative just giving facts there really is nothing left to do except maybe build but hey Minecraft has that covered. We can’t even finish the game and get to end the way they created it to be, lol just doesn’t make sense, I mean we can’t even get to endgame, our games ended before we even really got started.  

And for those of you still trying to figure out what this means let me recap.  There are not enough Ragnarok servers like there we’re suppose to be so the existing ones are overloaded with people, not to mention they are unfinished and broke making mattters worse.  So server Dino cap limits are easily being  reached meaning you can no longer tame or raise meaning basically your game is done and any effort prior was wasted time.  Wildcard has created a mess and so far are unwilling to do the right thing.  So in a nutshell don’t bother if your wanting to actually build anything long term you will just be severely disappointed.

So im pretty upset I wasted months of hard work only to be told by wildcards incompeteance, sorry you have to start yet again.  Some of us actually like to finish what we start.  We actually want to start a map and continue to build and grow on it for years not just every few months and then move on to the next broke content realease. 

Solution? Just realease the servers promised and more to accomadate the people wanting to play your game the way it was intended to be played, stop producing content until you can actually finish and take care of what you already have.  You don’t keep having babies in real life just to have them and once they are born forget about them and move on, that would be absurd but seems to be standard operating procedure at wildcard. 

bump x's a million

On 10/27/2017 at 11:43 AM, xracer98 said:

Invest in a private server. You can do what you want,when you want.
Game play can be set to your liking..
We too, got sick of laggy servers, capped servers etc.
Been running a private server and taming, raising like crazy..
With the group that we play with, its a very stress free environment.

The problem with this though is that I think a lot of people are like me and do not like playing on private servers, they don't feel rewarding. There's a special charm to playing on official servers when you know everyone on the server and people can see your giant base and how much work you've put into it. Just my opinion though, that's how I feel about it.

Almost every server in PVE is dino capped. I love how they shut down over 150 servers on teh old cluster to release what 10 of each map on the new cluster? What a joke. I haven't been able to tame or breed on any of the three differant servers I have bases built on in 4 weeks now. Then they do events like 8 times taming as a slap in the face to everyone that is having this problem.

49 minutes ago, turtle59 said:

But then PVE loses a lot of it's charm as a game mode, that's half the fun is buying and selling dinosaurs in this little community based economy that we've established.

The most effective way to fix this issue is to implement cross server dino caps. 1000 or 1500 cross server cap, 500 server cap. 

Person X, Y and Z are in a tribe together on Server 1.

Person X is in a tribe with 500 dinos on Server 2, this adds 500 dinos toward that person's cross server cap.

Person Y is in a tribe with 500 dinos on Server 3, this adds another 500 dinos toward the person's cross server cap.

Person Z is in a tribe with 500 dinos on Server 4, this is 500 more.

Person X, Y and Z have a combined cross server dino total of 1500 dinos, they have hit their cross server dino cap and aren't allowed to tame anything on Server 1.

This wouldn't affect the players who play on a single server and in small tribes, but it would pretty much wipe out the ability for tribes to take over servers and just store their dinos on them causing these caps.

The problem is NOT with the players. People are taming and breeding. THAT is the game. You SHOULD do that.

The problem IS with WC selling more tickets than they have seats to the show that is called Ark. WC is the only "person" responsible for the majority of current servers getting dino capped. The sold X number copy of games and did not create enough servers to support that population.

Solution? There is only one....make more severs. dino cap is 5500 (as I understand it) so only 11 tribes (at 500 dinos per tribe) can be maintained per server. 500x11=5500.  So they need to make 1 server per every 11 tribes. Or some semblance of that. Right now we are at about 50-150 tribes per server. My guess is the average is 100 tribes on any given server. Of course they are all going to dino cap. ...or you could argue about how there are 1 man tribes and 20 man tribes.....happy medium of about 100 dinos per player is in an area of resonable....maybe. So 1 server per 55 players. ...or SOMETHING yeesh..... 

22 hours ago, Jacira said:

Exactly right! This entire debate, the whole discussion and the simplest answer is that it has all been caused by overpopulation.

I understand that it might not be the best option financially for Wild Card to use to solve this game breaking issue. But the thing I don't understand is that Wild Card have such a loyal and dedicated fan base that would be way more than happy to subscribe to paid servers in order to support Wild Card and keep playing the game the way it was intended to be played. 

At present my friends I've met through this game are dropping like flies as one by one they becoming disenchanted with this massive game breaking feature. Some of them even killed off 3/4 of their own dinos so they could keep taming and breeding. But sure enough the cap always comes back and then they are disadvantaged because other players hoard all their dinos and wont make the same sacrifices. 

@Jatheish , @Jen  .. We really love your game and want nothing but the best for it. But can we *please* at least have a response as to whether you guys are looking into this issue yet?

Why do I have feeling players would have to stary boycoting the game for X amount of time to make WC address and fix this severe issue. (This threat worked in case of For Honor at least...)  I loath the fact there must be a sh#tstorm to make high ranked employees of WC to leave their thrones and do something about problems the community is suffering from. 

havent played since server hit cap couple weeks after launch.  Told my friends to buy it but can no longer recommend it, and now I am forced to buy another game and forget about this one. 

Not having a response on this topic sucks.  Makes you wanna leave the game and not come back because it makes you think this is how they want it.

Game is ruined for me if I can't tame dinos.

I'm going to get hate for this, but:

Stop playing official, join unofficial.
Playing on offical is simply not worth the hassle, and everywhere people are making the switch.
Face it, official is a minority. More than 60% plays on unofficial servers according to the various polls people are running.

And guess what?
NONE of the problems mentioned exist on unofficial.

56 minutes ago, Olivar said:

I'm going to get hate for this, but:

Stop playing official, join unofficial.
Playing on offical is simply not worth the hassle, and everywhere people are making the switch.
Face it, official is a minority. More than 60% plays on unofficial servers according to the various polls people are running.

And guess what?
NONE of the problems mentioned exist on unofficial.

However Unofficial servers have another problems not mentioned.
Admin abuse.
Monthly wipe.
Ridiculous rates and awful mods.
Inactive admin.

Obviously we can rent a server to play mostly alone there.

4 minutes ago, Stephania said:

However Unofficial servers have another problems not mentioned.
Admin abuse.
Monthly wipe.
Ridiculous rates and awful mods.
Inactive admin.

Obviously we can rent a server to play mostly alone there.

I haven't had the issue of admin abuse or monthly wipes yet, but I enjoy the "ridiculous rates" considering I'm not trying to go through a year of wasted time again, while still maintaining a semblance of an outside life.

Only issue I've had was tonight...when the server just went offline. That's about the only issue; they can suddenly just disappear.  I'd honestly rather not pay even more money to rent a server just to enjoy a game I've already paid for. Shouldn't be about constantly having to find a reach-around just to enjoy.

Some ideas how fix the server cap issue.

Reward to tribes or players by maintaining few tamed animals and penalty to tribes or players by maintaining a lot of tamed animals.

Tribes or players who owns less than 25% of the personal cap (125) get bonus of 2x tame, gathering and breeding.

Tribes or players who owns between 25% and 50% of the personal cap (125-250) get no bonus. 

Tribes or players who owns more than 50% of the personal cap (250) get penalty of -0,5x tame, gathering and breeding and not enjoy 2x events.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tribes or players who owns less than 25% of the personal cap (125) get -30% of tamed animals food consuption.

Tribes or players who owns between 25% and 50% of the personal cap (125-250) get normal food consuption.

Tribes or players who owns more than 50% of the personal cap (250) get +30% of tamed animals food consuption.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tribes or players who owns less than 25% of the personal cap (125) get +10% of exp.

Tribes or players who owns between 25% and 50% of the personal cap (125-250) get normal exp.

Tribes or players who owns more than 50% of the personal cap (250) get -10% of exp and not enjoy 2x events..

Also turn off PvEOffline raid protection and monthly 2x events only.
Everything above is only related to PVE official server.

Archived