What are everyone's goals for Aberration?

Jkyle37

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a pretty clear early itinerary, aside from the game-start standard Outpost, my goals are:

- Featherlight (or 200)

- Wingsuit

- Isolate rock drake trench

- Find an awesome place to build a permanent home

- Build a facility large enough to house rock drakes

- Acquire said rock drake(s)

- Don’t make the Reaper Queen mad. ?

And who knows what other goals and adventures may crop up additional to all that. I want my sanctuary filled with Featherlights and rock drakes, but I’m open to bringing home all the new beasties, I want to explore every corner of the map, and I will thoroughly enjoy the experience.

Make a base among those upper branches I saw in the bio-luminescent area on the stream and use the branches like a highway for my army of rock drakes.  Also, ALL the featherlights.  So many featherlights that you have issues walking.  Maybe have a charge generator so I can have the featherlights wander around while glowing.

Get wrecked by the Reaper Queen when i'm butt naked, knowing my luck ill walk in to the damn thing when i shouldn't, like when i Land on DW in SE. Rock Drakes though ! find out where the trench is work out the best area to set up out of the darkness or tame 100 pugs to keep the Evil cretins at bay. Hoping the drakes will be breed-able given they are the natural enemy of the Reapers so they should be... but this is ARK. :Jerbhi:

3 hours ago, Jtmorris said:

I really hope that it's like SE and very difficult to survive early game. From there, I want to explore the story aspect.

same here I really like the forces of nature against you to slow you down a bit even in late game....explore and tame and build

2 hours ago, Synistermissy said:

Get wrecked by the Reaper Queen when i'm butt naked, knowing my luck ill walk in to the damn thing when i shouldn't, like when i Land on DW in SE. Rock Drakes though ! find out where the trench is work out the best area to set up out of the darkness or tame 100 pugs to keep the Evil cretins at bay. Hoping the drakes will be breed-able given they are the natural enemy of the Reapers so they should be... but this is ARK. :Jerbhi:

yep same here as well, most likely I die to the King way before the Queen shows up, hell I bet I just die to a raptor when spawning like SE :P

As for my goals, I want to explore and set up a defendable camp where I can harvest resources etc, gonna be a trip for sure.

I have many goals for aberration, some being: 

Breed a pack of OP attack bulbdoggos/lanternpuggles, and make a nameless killing pit.

Tame like a bajillion Glowtails, and position them atop pillars or something as a cheaper alternative to light that also gives a charge boost.

I hope to have at least one main base, and then a bunch of outposts in every biome, around every charge node I can find. And eventually, I will connect them all with cliff structures and ziplines  (I feel like dynamic length bridges may finally debut in aberration, too)

Tame at least one of every new creature

Tame/breed an army of rockdrakes capable of defeating the Overseer, at least on Gamma.

Get a magenta/hot pink Molerat via breeding

Cheat a lot less (I can tend to overuse cheats to save a favorite Dino or reduce the grind, stuff like that)

Join an unofficial server and become a flying Robin Hood with the wingsuits, stealing resources from trolls and giving to noobs, with an alter ego of a taming assistant for hire (keep an eye out for somebody named Rowlet Hood in the future)

(JSYK, I’m on singleplayer, so this is actually within the realm of possibility for me)

4 hours ago, Kraken said:

Do what I tried to do and eventually failed to do on Scorched Earth, explore very slowly, avoid spoilers, take it all at my own pace building slowly outwards and discovering little bits at a time rather than go gonzo and disover everything early doors.

Love this. That's how I approached Ragnarok. We explored on foot (without flyers) and eventually picked a place to settle down. Such a fun way to get acquainted with the map. 

7 hours ago, Jtmorris said:

I really hope that it's like SE and very difficult to survive early game. From there, I want to explore the story aspect.

I hope for the same thing, but unlike SE, i hope they scale that difficulty in an intuitive way, rather than just having you getting eaten before you finish spawning.

The SE difficulty is great, but the methods by which that difficulty are overcome aren't readily apparent enough, they basically throw you in at the deep end (particularly for lvl 1 characters dealing with heat) - making many people pass it off as unfair and poorly balanced. New player reaction to scorched earth is often quite negative: once you soldier through it, you start to see how good it is, but the first impression is important, and outside of the impressive environments etc, it can be a bit daunting.

I'm hopeful that their big focus on a 'noob zone' in the fertile chamber represents a bit of an attempt to bridge that gap, and still deliver fiendish difficulty, still early, but make it a bit more obvious how to cope with it. The earthquakes seem to be aimed at curtailing overexpansion as well, which is a nice step for making PvE servers more accessible, so you can focus on survival aspects more readily.

SE's strong suit was really emphasizing the survival aspect of 'survival evolved' and I hope they continue with it: just that they make it more intuitive.

ie "It's hot out here, get underground fast!" implies that you can do something about your situation that basically doesn't exist. It sounds like they planned the heatwaves to have another mechanic that was generally accessible in the wild, but never got around to implementing it. New players that are pre-adobe have little/no way of dealing with heatwaves that are reasonably frequent. Sandstorms are good in intention, but cumbersome in practice as they do the one thing Ark does too much: stop you from playing. Just like taming is effectively staring at a load-bar, waiting for sandstorms isn't... really gameplay.

I also hope that they're a bit more generous with engrams to adapt to the environments: Adobe structures and desert cloth should have had later tier counterparts, or at least more nuanced alternatives available: seeing people using ark-specific gear/buildings helps make the game feel more thematic, but if it's just binary "radiation suit" or flak, it still will feel a bit samey. I'd like to see (non-tek) alternatives for gear that might be hybrids of hazard/armor protection. But if you only implement one tier, its either used by everyone or ignored by everyone eventually.

But I do agree that I hope that Abberation is more survival focused than even scorched earth: i just hope that they learn from the mistakes of Scorched Earth, which, while I love it, still made a lot of mistakes.

My plan is to get a wingsuit and climbing hooks as soon as possible, to explore a bit and try to find a spot to claim for a base. After that, I will most likely be taking it easy, digesting all the scenery and enjoying the experience until item transfers open up, then I can move all the tek stuff over ive been saving for it :) 

Our tribe is going to mindwipe, and enter Abberation with character not more than stone-level unlocks and explore the caves.
We want to spend the first few days just in the wild, and find a nice location for our base.
Then slowly start building and tame the new things, do caves and bosses etc.

In the end we want to reach the same point as our Island base and see what we like most to swap main bases.

Archived