Tranq darts or arrows

Fluffy05

35 minutes ago, Weiss said:

Listen to this advice.

I killed two 150 direbears because I didn't use darts. Some animals are more fragile than expected.

On prim+ we had to kite them through narcotic traps to get their torp up as to not kill them with arrows since theres no darts. Bear are indeed one of the few animals that require darts, or traps if you dont have access to darts. 

1 hour ago, ishootpaint said:

On prim+ we had to kite them through narcotic traps to get their torp up as to not kill them with arrows since theres no darts. Bear are indeed one of the few animals that require darts, or traps if you dont have access to darts. 

would kiting a giga through a narc trap work the same way?

Depends on what you're tranqing and the strength of your longneck vs the xbow.  For low level tames, you probably want to use darts or arrows from a prim xbow.

For stuff that moves around a lot, use both.  Rexes and Gigas are horrible in this regard.  Unless you get them stuck, they move around a lot.  For a giga, missing an arrow or two means you need to hit like 7 to make up for the torpor loss.  Switching to a longneck when the giga starts to run is the best way to keep hitting.

As a rule, I use tranq arrows from a 200% xbow as much as I can.  I squeeze in tranq darts if the HP of the tame or the tame's mobility is an issue.  If I have shocking tranq darts I just use those.  Downed an 8k HP quetz with them the other night and it only lost 1k HP.  If I used arrows it would have been at half or lower.  Why does this matter?  Well, if I mess up my taming by hitting the dino or letting a wild bite it, I can let it wake up and KO it again without fear of it dying.  Using Arrows this would not work.

36 minutes ago, electricblooz said:

would kiting a giga through a narc trap work the same way?

It would, but your talking alot of traps. Keep in mind you need two traps per tripwire. With the bears i would line every inch of the kiting pen with them. Just be sure the traps themselves dont knock it out or you cant tame it.

10 hours ago, Fluffy05 said:

is tranq darts worth it or should i stick to tranq arrows

Main difference in different tranq methods is Damage/Torpor ratio.

As creatures in this game have different HP/Torpor ratio, some of them can't be reliably knocked out by arrows (e.g. Direbear: High HP but insane Torpor).

Even underwater Harpoon gun has its uses, despite being very cost inefficient and generally worse than a high grade crossbow. Harpoons have 0% chance to kill an Angler (low HP, high Torpor), while crossbow can do it even with perfect timings and chances of killing a tame increase greatly with every little mistake.

Generally people use Dodorex taming calculator to see the chances/needed resources.

12 hours ago, ishootpaint said:

Recurve bow with tranq arrows on Prim+ has about same tranq efficiency as darts iirc.

21 hours ago, LittleRedReaper said:

Definitely worth it as you will kill a lot high level, low health pool tames if you use arrows.

With gigas we use tranq arrows and tranq darts. My tribemate or I will shoot tranq darts to instantly raise torpor, while the other shoots tranq arrows to keep that torpor rising at a steady pace. 

Hehe, a funny thing about that, we were tranqing a 150 Giga on the center the other day, got it to where it runs from you. He got out of our poorly positioned trap against the cliff wall. To our dismay, it ran right off the edge of the cliff on the north snow area. Down, Down, Down it went. Thought for sure it would die in the water. However, it landed above the very last ledge above the water. We flew down, getting our trap set up below it to agro it into the trap. Took about 8-10 minutes to get the trap made and set. (we ran out of gateways etc, had to fly up and break our last trap to make more.) Got it all set, flew up to get him to agro, he was gone from the spot he had stood at for 10 minutes, HOLY crapola!! Did he despawn on us?

Where is he?

About 50 yards to the left, he had moved!!!

Wait a second !! he is unconscious!!!  No arrows fired at him for 10 minutes and he passes out!!!

Tamed him in place. 190 Melee

Darts for low hp creatures and slow torpor loss creatures. Arrows for all else.

Side note: don't ever use darts on a giga unless you have multiple shooters and/or it is perfectly trapped. Longneck reload time is the same as the torpor over time effect, so you literally cannot stack the torpor buffer like you can with a crossbow and arrows.

Edit: An exception to this would ve the dimetrodon, as it is a low hp creature with fast torpor drop. Darts still work fine for it, just dont miss a beat and you'll be fine.

Darts is a waste, you need darts for direbear, galliminus, dimetron and maybe some more, but all other dinos you can sleep them using arrows with 0 chance to kill them.

Darts use 3 narcotics more ingots.

Arrow use 1 narcotic.

Using primitives, a random dino use 40 darts use 60 arrow.

120 front 60. More ingots... its a waste.

Edit: import not use arrows on head when dino not have mult  on head.

Archived