Now Wildcard favors the trolls

HeatherJo

Eh, despite the fact that WC is basically always in favor of trolls due to the nature of the game, and the whole "Ark attracts people who like to kick down sandcastles" statement holding true most of the tiiime....we still have no idea how these people would still be considered "trolls". No one knows what they did or continue to do, aside from just being told what they may be. I'd believe it though; not a single server I've ever been on in my entire time of playing this game has been without this one token pack of trolls.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe I said anything ambiguous.  WC has attempted to address this situation in an equitable fashion more than once, but those attempts weren't completely successful.  Hopefully better, non-exploitable solutions can be found that don't revolve around "I got here first and planted pillars first, so all land on this Official PVE server is mine to control".

Until then you can continue to pillar to claim area's of the map as you wish, however you do so with the knowledge that this is not their intended purpose and they can be removed at any time and for any reason.  I'm sure you realize that despite fervent protests to the contrary, not everyone that pillars a map is actually doing it "for the good of the community", and even if in their own mind they are the fact is it's not their call to make.  On a private PVE server yes, on an open official PVE server no.

truth is it is impossible for WC or anyone else to control land grabbing in PvE. If you limit pillars they will build simple stone houses everywhere there literally is no way to ever stop land grabbers from doing what they do. As mentioned by others the only way to remove this as an issue is to play PvP or have your own server.  Having some type of land control limit would work but I doubt that would ever happen given the games current state.

I stayed on my Legacy server because of this insanity I tried two different Ragnarock servers a weekish after release and I couldn't find anything with available space to build anything bigger than a 2 x 2 box that was missing walls on one side... when I asked people to remove some pillars they asked for $$ LoL    and it should be noted I ran around the maps for about 3 or 4 days each so it wasn't like I was hanging out at the spawn point too lazy to go find something...

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:54 PM, Insomniak said:

On ragnarok, in the scenario OP described, yes they are trolls. 

So basically anyone who sees a spot pillared can go whine to support, which I'm sure are highly trained individuals, and have pillars moved? Huh, smart. Also good to know if I ever play again. 

The OP had a legitimate gripe- One that most PvE players would agree with. But your opinion matters more, because you feel special and that's what really matters, right? 

Yes. If you pillar areas you do not intend to build on, don't whinge about being reported. So many times I've tried to join a server and have had to cover miles of pillared beaches on foot looking for somewhere to put a bed down.

Pillars aren't there for you to keep 'your server' clean from the scourge of other people wanting to play.

If you abuse in game mechanics and get called out on it... suck it up and maybe try not being cancerous to new people.

On 10/25/2017 at 5:05 PM, HeatherJo said:

We have all been wanting wildcard to be more hands on when it comes to legitimate server and bad player issues but usually when wildcard actually does get involved they typically make things worse or don’t really fix things but make things harder for legit players.

Pillaring has long been a source of heated discussion, but so is covered up resource spawns, bases on top of each other endlessly causing so much lag making areas unplayable, and covered Dino spawn. Pillaring is actually a very vital and, if done correctly crucially beneficial part of ark.   It is a way to keep ark beautiful and keep resources and Dino’s available to everyone.  

Well on our Ragnarok server there was an existing tribe that had been there since the beginning and had space allotted to expand.  A new tribe moved and built right next to them,  mind you in an area that was already jammed full of bases.  The existing tribe rightfully declined to move their  pillars and the new tribe reported them.  I asked why they didn’t just go find open space elsewhere and they said that they did and couldn’t find any, Which of course was a lie considering I went out and found 3-4 wide open spaces immeadiatley  that were much better.  Well to most of us on the servers utter shock,  WC actually forced the existing tribe to move pillars to make room for the trolls.  It was Rediculous to say the least especially since there were so many open spots.  And even more Rediculous since on our island server there is a tribe that has pillared 30% of the map and they don’t even play, they are always on destiny and besides all the pillars they have 3 huts, no Dino’s, and WC has done nothing about them.  

All this seems very unlogical and makes it even harder for legitimate tribes to protect their areas and valuable resources and Dino’s that benefit all the players.   It seems like WCs system only favors those who want to come wipe out every spawn, build over the entire map until we can’t even move, and whine endlessly about how they can’t find open space just because they are to lazy to walk 10feet past the player spawn to actually look. 

Could always not play PvE.

Ark is a game, that even the developers have stated, is a Player versus Player game at it's core, and that is what it's balanced around. Have all these problems in PvE? Move to PvP. Adapt, learn the game, learn mechanics, and become an established Tribe.

5 minutes ago, Orion said:

Could always not play PvE.

Ark is a game, that even the developers have stated, is a Player versus Player game at it's core, and that is what it's balanced around. Have all these problems in PvE? Move to PvP. Adapt, learn the game, learn mechanics, and become an established Tribe.

On official you'd be lucky to get past wooden box stage if an alpha tribe is present unless you have countless hours to pour into the game

19 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

How?  I'd love to see a picture of that.  What did they build a roof over it?  

He's talking about the cave area in the SW which is one of the main crystal spawns in that area that also doubles as a place to find eggs.

Gated it off and built walls all the way around so no one can access.  Then tried to charge people to let them in.

Several people submitted tickets and nothing was done.  

So glad I left legacy to make sure I had access to customer support!

Edit: Unless someone else on our server blocked access to another area they shouldn't which wouldn't surprise me.

I can't really make a call here because I'd have to trust the OP's details regarding the matter, and that the defendants weren't actually trolls themselves too.  OP makes it sound like WC made a bad call but it's hard to believe that they wouldn't make a good one regarding the issue. For all we know the defending tribe had a LARGE area pillared off, and that the area WC made them un pillar probably didn't even affect them much. They prob just got their egos and pride squashed is all. 

Regardless of who is in the right and wrong, I'm happy WC made them remove the pillars because it tells us that they actually will mettle in affairs dealing with pillar abuse if we need them too. It also shows that WC acknowledges that pillar spamming on PVE is actually an issue. It hasn't been something they've come right out and said here on the forums so, yea. 

You guys are all missing the point here.  If we as players do nothing to protect our bases and resources then there will be no servers worth playing on.  When I started playing I couldn’t find a server anywhere to play on not because of pillars but endless buildings on top of buildings.  And forget trying to tame anything there wasn’t hardly anything left to tame everything was blocked and then people would just move on from server to server like locusts.  There is nothing wrong with pillaring to protect valuable areas and resources and to just not want people right on top of you so you can’t eevn get out of your base anymore.  What’s the point in playing.  

And like I said there are servers where pillaring is out of control and excessive by people who aren’t even playing and nothing is done.  In the original post the defending tribe did not have excessive pillars in fact they had to give up a portion of their area where they were building their water pen and a Dino bldg to accomadte their already crowded space.  Which is completely moot now because the server was capped yesterday.  My point exactly,  by allowing peopl the right to complain and build on top of each other and not being able to protect areas now no one can play on this server anymore.  This is exactly what needs to change and maybe I don’t have the right solution but what we have isn’t working. I see nothing wrong with people pillaring community areas for the good of all and being  able to secure enough room to build without being on top of each other, and keep the server open so that those there can actually enjoy the game.  Real problem here is abusive tribes are still being abusive tribes and those trying to help others and do good are the  ones they are making it hard for.  Their solution is going after the wrong tribes, and empowering those who want to be abusive.  It’s far easier to be an abusive jerk tribe you will get away with much more. 

The real solution is that they actually open up more servers which should already have happened where people don’t have to try and fit into an already overcrowded situation which now we all no longer have the ability to tame or raise anymore because of the cap caused by this line of thinking.  Now we are forced to move on and start and new server until we have devoured that one...endless cycle.  So no I see absolutely nothing wrong with protecting the server, they aren’t going to do it so we are forced to.  At least those fortunate to be there can actually enjoy the game.  

47 minutes ago, Critter said:

I can't really make a call here because I'd have to trust the OP's details regarding the matter, and that the defendants weren't actually trolls themselves too.  OP makes it sound like WC made a bad call but it's hard to believe that they wouldn't make a good one regarding the issue. For all we know the defending tribe had a LARGE area pillared off, and that the area WC made them un pillar probably didn't even affect them much. They prob just got their egos and pride squashed is all. 

Regardless of who is in the right and wrong, I'm happy WC made them remove the pillars because it tells us that they actually will mettle in affairs dealing with pillar abuse if we need them too. It also shows that WC acknowledges that pillar spamming on PVE is actually an issue. It hasn't been something they've come right out and said here on the forums so, yea. 

There was zero pillar abuse in the situation like I said there are other servers which I can name that there is serious pillar abuse happening and nothing absolutely nothing is being done.  In this situation it was where they were expanding their base. Which is moot now server capped yesterday because of crap like this so sad.  The real joke is on the complaining tribe lol, they went through all that trouble to have a spot on a server where they can’t even tame or raise lol nuts.  But that’s this company’s mentality cram as many people as possible into once space until that space is no longer viable. 

2 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

On official you'd be lucky to get past wooden box stage if an alpha tribe is present unless you have countless hours to pour into the game

That's simply untrue. Since Wild Card's work with the Legacy Servers, most "Alphas", "Betas" and etc. are not out to just 100% wipe everyone. That's speaking as someone who's part of the Alpha on a current server, and we have many tribes built up that we don't mess with.

Ive had better luck offering noobs one of my throw away birds so they can fly around and find themselves a decent spot. 

Theyare quite often on foot so it's understandably hard to find a good spot that hasn't already been claimed . 

There's a very fine line between proactive pillars (around metal spawns)  and greed pillars . If you just flat out deny someone's request for some space then you kind of had it coming. 

WC have been open about their thoughts on mass pillaring

5 minutes ago, Teddansen said:

Ive had better luck offering noobs one of my throw away birds so they can fly around and find themselves a decent spot. 

Theyare quite often on foot so it's understandably hard to find a good spot that hasn't already been claimed . 

There's a very fine line between proactive pillars (around metal spawns)  and greed pillars . If you just flat out deny someone's request for some space then you kind of had it coming. 

WC have been open about their thoughts on mass pillaring

Once again wasn’t mass pillaring, but like I also said there are servers this is actually happening on and there has been plenty of tickets submitted and nothing done. In this particular situation This was part of their already overcrowded base expansion they had to give up. And we all have had to run for miles to try and find a spot it’s just part of the game. I actually have given away a lot of land myself to tribes that seem decent to help them out as well as Dino’s.  That isn’t the issue here there was no pillar abuse period just a tribe trying to protect it’s already existing space.   Which also like I said is moot since the server capped yesterday because of stupidity like this. 

3 minutes ago, HeatherJo said:

Once again wasn’t mass pillaring, but like I also said there are servers this is actually happening on and there has been plenty of tickets submitted and nothing done. In this particular situation This was part of their already overcrowded base expansion they had to give up. And we all have had to run for miles to try and find a spot it’s just part of the game. I actually have given away a lot of land myself to tribes that seem decent to help them out as well as Dino’s.  That isn’t the issue here there was no pillar abuse period just a tribe trying to protect it’s already existing space.   Which also like I said is moot since the server capped yesterday because of stupidity like this. 

Oh, i must've misread your initial post . I thought it was because of the pillars. Hmmm well until they put out more servers I think this is just what we're being served. 

I'd just move then, I know you said you don't want to move but I'd rather be in a less populated area. The last PvE server I was in was awful, it was rarely used by more then 15 players but because there were these HUGE bases everywhere it was just a laggy mess. We'd get dropped from the server over and over again so we moved to the center because rag is just awful in its current state PLUS we've stopped making huge fortresses and just have little structures within our walls and leave our pets outside and I can honestly say ive never legged out of this server. 

I also went to primitive plus thinking there'd be less players which there are but there's only like six servers and one complete cluster. 

Until WC closes legacy down and adds those to the new clusters I think this is all we do

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, ciabattaroll said:

I think it's less to do with favoring trolls and more to do with having a hard line stance of seeing pillars as something meant for construction rather than all these extra functions people have used them for.  I mean, it's great that you fancy yourself as the pillar equivalent of Robin Hood and all, but ultimately spam is still spam, intent notwithstanding.

ever heard the term meta game? no? well its something the players create within the game. Pillaring is a meta strategy. C4 it

I mean i have read most of the comments here and i still agree with the guy that posted this (well the part about how that it was unfair for the tribe that was there first to move pillars) because people in PvE pillar around there base to stop people from building there this is something that i think that is an unofficial rule that almost all PvE players go by because if they dont what is to stop people from say building a rap of some sort and then kiteing a giga or titan into the tribes base and i know if done right you you could lift both of them into a persons base with a quetz but thats you need a high lvl quets with good stats.

I had someone pillar around my starter Shack so badly that I couldn't even move a land Dino in or out due to their pillars I reported to wild card and nothing happened but they made an existing tribe move some pillars so someone could build a base that seems pretty stupid to me especially when they wouldn't make this person move their pillars so I could move my land dinos in and out they literally built a wall of pillars around my base

The biggest issue with pillaring is peoples lack of decency and common sense. 

We pillared a few resource spawns near our base but we pillared a bit farther to

A) Help prevent the lag in the area as well as keep viable dino spawns

B) Block off future expansion

Our time on Legacy has taught us a lot of these game mechanics and flaws. We have limited ourselves to 2 behemoth gates on our building. We have built our Rex Barn/Wyvern Trap out of render range to help ease lag. Our main building still has lag issues as we keep our breeder's and egg layers in the same area but when we get a new crop we either try to trade, move to our Rex barn, and kill off some of the existing  but lower stat dino's. We accidentally demolished the entire front of our building trying to use WC's building mechanics of not needing full pillars just the bottom section to keep a building foundationed (for lack of a better term). It cost us 30 fridges, 12 AC's, 9 Greenhouse pieces for that mistake but we've managed to remove about 200 pillars (we are built into the water) thus further reducing lag in the area. 

Most people won't make those sacrifices and prefer to cram everything into a behemoth gated (cause building walls is hard) large area causing dc's and blue screen's just by thinking of going to that area. 

Since WC won't/can't get their servers to accommodate these building pieces and their rendering it leaves most players with the choices of dealing with the lags, dc's, blue screens brought on by lazy builders and inconsiderate or unknowledgeable players or pillar a swath of land so they can play this game with some sense of smoothness. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL1N8akvnuA

Watch just a few minutes of this video. It was a video I submitted for a problem with a different issue. At this time we had 160+ server ping, 63 people online. I had done an internet test just a few minutes earlier using my phone (my PS4 is ethernetted so better connection) and my ping was 48 ms, my download speed was 25.3, my upload was 4.8 (using wifi test) so definitely not a home internet issue. Still you can see the constant lag backs and rendering issues. This is in a fairly clean area of the map mind you. 

Pillaring is just as much as troll issue as a direct result of flawed official servers and WC's seemingly lack of interest or inability to fix these EA day 1 issues. Since pillaring land, despite if that was their intentional use or not, is not by definition "illegal" then official policies should clarify as such and all GM's should be given the same guidelines to follow not a "judgement call" based upon their own definition. Give the players the proper rules to follow and fix your base game instead of worrying about a too soon DLC and a lot of these issues will resolve themselves. 

Most servers I have tried to play on have 3-6 tribes that move in pillar every inch of the starting areas all the beaches every thing. all a new character can do is head inland and try to find a spot that's safe and as we all know that's not going to happen so they get eaten 400 times and give up me I build up my character then move inland to build a big base. On one rag server I tried 1 person had all of Viking bay claimed and another had all of the jungle start area claimed so I just gave up and stayed on the center where my base is miles from the starting areas

Pillaring is the cancer of Ark! Don't get me wrong, WC hold some of the blame here - they should be a lot more stern on where tribes can build and enforce NO BUILD ZONES on resources and drops - but it's the entitled few that push the issue to cancerous levels.

Just because you have more members, does not entitle you to more land.
Just because you build next to (or in the case of my server around) a resource does not make it yours.
You cannot be allowed to claim land because, y'know, I might build there one day... And then flip a poop when people ask you not to do it.
You are bigger, not better.
You deserve no more (or less) than anybody else and if you think you do, you need to grow tf up.
WC did the right thing in this case. Cry more.

The problem isn't with WC support, who are damned if they do, damned if they don't.  Problem is that the game encourages you to build big bases near resources, dino spawns, obelisks, but does little to protect those spawns or your ability to get in and out.  Because the game was designed initially with PvE as an afterthought.

The best and only solution is to find a way to get along with others on your server and to compromise, but that's hard to do if one side or the other doesn't want to cooperate, or you live in different areas of the world or speak different languages.

5 minutes ago, Shoosty said:

The best and only solution is to find a way to get along with others on your server and to compromise, but that's hard to do if one side or the other doesn't want to cooperate

Sometimes this doesn't work. 

My Ark neighbor had a Rex come into his base because he had no walls. Luckily he didn't lose anything but it caused an over reaction. He started building walls but of course he decided behemoth gates were easier. He asked me to remove a pillar, I did. Then he wanted another one removed and some more and one of our base gates and when we said no his allies started threatening us, telling him to pillar us in (good luck with that) or his one ally has the obsidian island pillared but we found a small section to place a fabricator and some Anky's and he decided to threaten us with placing walls around the area. I have Wyvern's and a motorboat so again I'm not worried about that but you see how that goes.

Their version of "cooperation" was to just do everything he asked. Instead of moving his behemoth gates back a few meters so he can place the door. The asking us to remove one of our gates so he could place his own was quite absurd in my opinion. People can't stand being told no anymore and throw fits so "cooperation" goes right out the window. 

On a side note; we were quite helpful to each other previously. He has a Giga and has dropped off large bunches of meats. I have removed pillars to allow him to place spikes around a tame, have given him a chance to tame a 140 Rex I downed because it didn't have the stats I was looking for, and was allowing him to store his sharks in our water pen even saving them when a wild shark got in while i was reconstructing it but sometimes it's never enough and at some point you have to be stern and steadfast in your decision's. 

The problem I see as the cause of all this is people with massive bases that think they have to have 50 of every dino. I keep 3 dinos of each kind I need 2f 1m. I do have 6 ovarapters but that's for coverage if I breed a dino I get rid of one. my base is 30 x 60 and 3 floors with a roof to park fliers. I have pillars around my base but just 2 spaces out so people can build near me but not on top of me. And I have a stone wall 4 high with 3 behemoth gates. I have no lag around my base and I have every dino so if I can do this solo so can everyone else if you have a large tribe you all don't have to have your own giga that's why all the rag servers are at tame cap and lag is so bad that people think they have to pillar everything

On 10/25/2017 at 2:32 PM, ciabattaroll said:

I think it's less to do with favoring trolls and more to do with having a hard line stance of seeing pillars as something meant for construction rather than all these extra functions people have used them for.  I mean, it's great that you fancy yourself as the pillar equivalent of Robin Hood and all, but ultimately spam is still spam, intent notwithstanding.

Next time they best foundation bomb the map so no trolls, or anyone, can play for that matter....

Having a similar battle with auto decaying pillar walls on PvP... why does that even have only an 8 hour timer on PvP when someone could blow them up if needed?! Half of the pillars stay and I can only guess because they had a snap point? The ones I had to place in uneven terrain don't snap and I logged in to half my dino pen missing and open to the world. 

Archived