Angler Taming

ALBRIGAM0778

Alrighty, so here's the situation. I've gotten into the business of breeding anglers which are actually pretty good, but about 2 weeks ago there was a bug/glitch where my adult male and the 5 juvys all starved to death, which shouldn't have happened because i had just refilled the troughs an hour before. Already submitted a ticket, but in the meantime I have been trying to go out and tame a 135+ male. Level isn't the issue since I'm on ragnarok, but so far I've made 5 unsuccessful attempts, 3 with the harpoon gun and 2 with crossbows. I've killed 4 of them and the 5th was while we were under tame cap. Is there an easier way to tame these guys? I've heard that having them aggro to your mount and then tranqing them is a good way to go, but I can't get them to stick. I'd swim after them but the ocean floor isn't the place for just you and your flippers. Was wondering if there's another strategy to taming them that could be less stressful? I'm on PvE so I can't grab with my tuso unfortunately. Thanks!

I use a less damage crossbow and actually prefer just a primitive 100%. Also i find shooting them under the jaw as opposed in the body or head seems to work the best as far as keeping them alive for some reason. Like @Jabnlab said though, make sure to wait 8-10 seconds between shots after they are officially running. 

135+ Angler successes

100% crossbow -4, 143% apprentice crossbow-1 134% apprentice crossbow-1

135+ Angler failures

134% ram crossbow- 3, 156% jm crossbow- 4 234% ASC crossbow- 1 (lol, first Angler I went after, it was after they started harvesting pearls so I figured was worth a tame then. Oops)

8 minutes ago, romanaka3 said:

if you have tuso use it good for taming

He said that he can't use a Tuso as he's playing on official PvE where wild dino grabbing is disabled.

All you can do really is make sure that you time your shots, if you can make them run into a cliff or the world barrier and get stuck that always helps as well. I've always just swum after them with flippers when grabbing hasn't been an option with my mount on follow, but then I always spec high Oxygen so I don't even dip a toe into the water until I can outswim anything.

You could build an underwater taming pen. On the ocean floor or under a raft. This video shows how to build a taming pen/cage/trap for a dunkleosteus, plesiosaurus and mosasaurus under a raft. Just build the cage smaller and close the gaps. Lure the angler in and close the cage with walls, dinogate or something. Should be easy. Just take bodyguards with you to deal with leedsychthis.

https://youtu.be/8Fh4dyhgKSY

27 minutes ago, AdligerAdler said:

You could build an underwater taming pen. On the ocean floor or under a raft. This video shows how to build a taming pen/cage/trap for a dunkleosteus, plesiosaurus and mosasaurus under a raft. Just build the cage smaller and close the gaps. Lure the angler in and close the cage with walls, dinogate or something. Should be easy. Just take bodyguards with you to deal with leedsychthis.

I can speak to this being a very effective means of taming. We tame anglers much easier with this method!

15 hours ago, AdligerAdler said:

how does this work on plesio/mosa

they have a maximum height they can swim up to (which is far below the raft) so how would you trap them?

8 minutes ago, raptorjesus666 said:

how does this work on plesio/mosa

they have a maximum height they can swim up to (which is far below the raft) so how would you trap them?

You can pillar down from the raft to their depth, adding floating foundations to allow you to remove higher pillars as you go and thus keep building down and have space for the trap.

the issue is that some anglers have more HP than other anglers and their torpor drop is pretty fast.  If you got unlucky and find a low HP Angler AND you allow the torpor from your shots to top off (meaning you missed a shot or two), you're going to have a bad time.  It's like trying to tranq a giga.  An impossible task if that giga flees and you can't maintain constant shots.  Missing 2 shots on an angler effectively means you have to shoot it once to get it back to where it was before you missed and then again to progress.  If you have to do that 2 or 3 times, there's a much better chance you're going to kill the angler.

I haven't been able to find an upgraded harpoon gun and question whether they exist in game yet.  Based on my maths, a 200% xbow delivers more torpor and does only slightly more damage than a harpoon gun.

Unsure if you can use them underwater, but narc tripwire traps are in the game for this reason.  Very useful when trying to tranq an injured doedic.  Once you have an angler in your trap you can place like 10 of them and they'll do 200ish torpor each to the angler.  If you get 5-10 sets to hit, that'll save you as many tranq shots and do 0 damage to the angler.

On 21/10/2017 at 8:29 PM, ALBRIGAM0778 said:

Alrighty, so here's the situation. I've gotten into the business of breeding anglers which are actually pretty good, but about 2 weeks ago there was a bug/glitch where my adult male and the 5 juvys all starved to death, which shouldn't have happened because i had just refilled the troughs an hour before. Already submitted a ticket, but in the meantime I have been trying to go out and tame a 135+ male. Level isn't the issue since I'm on ragnarok, but so far I've made 5 unsuccessful attempts, 3 with the harpoon gun and 2 with crossbows. I've killed 4 of them and the 5th was while we were under tame cap. Is there an easier way to tame these guys? I've heard that having them aggro to your mount and then tranqing them is a good way to go, but I can't get them to stick. I'd swim after them but the ocean floor isn't the place for just you and your flippers. Was wondering if there's another strategy to taming them that could be less stressful? I'm on PvE so I can't grab with my tuso unfortunately. Thanks!

Make a little 2x3 trap with a Dino gate and door frames,  agro it in trap it and then tame it easy.

Same sort of trap you would use for an argy or griffin.

15 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

People are saying 10 seconds between shots for torpor,  I have always thought it was 5 seconds for a xbow bolt,  it always works perfectly for me. Can anyone confirm if it's 10 or 5 seconds?  

I've always done a 5 count, but that is by no means scientific.  Might depend on the Xbow damage (mine is 209ish).

Archived