Structures +

AngrySaltire

1 hour ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

They can't just convert one structure to the other without some builds disappearing.

That applies to vanilla buildings as well, hence i mentioned crap ton of problems. Especially with the difference in snap points. Converting from S+ to "official" S+ just requires adding S+ engram to base game and its done.

The only way i can see it being done less painfully is to do a staged conversion:

- add S+ engrams and BPs to base game
- disable vanilla structure engrams, convert BPs and pieces in storages to S+ ones.
- allow existing vanilla structures to be picked up, and convert them to S+ once they are picked up
- after a month or so remove support for vanilla structures from game client completely (means that all structures that players didnt convert will vanish)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, KingGalahad said:

It would be nice if rather than us having to speculate about what will or won't be in S+, if Wild Card could actually make a post on this topic themselves. However, communication is definitely not their forte!

I don't even think they know themselves yet based on the stream and modders own comments on structures+ (ill paste that below), Hopefully the people talking about what they think might happen will influence wildcard into a positive direction, or at least influence them into adding something that would not of happened before based on our thoughts about it. Personally I hope they add stuff in sections, not all at once, gradual feedback for testing (the sooner the better so other modders can fix issues before aberration hits, which probably wont happen :P )...

image.thumb.png.71b65a0dc5314ea1ba03e43630a927ac.png

20 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

That applies to vanilla buildings as well, hence i mentioned crap ton of problems. Especially with the difference in snap points. Converting from S+ to "official" S+ just requires adding S+ engram to base game and its done.

The only way i can see it being done less painfully is to do a staged conversion:

- add S+ engrams and BPs to base game
- disable vanilla structure engrams, convert BPs and pieces in storages to S+ ones.
- allow existing vanilla structures to be picked up, and convert them to S+ once they are picked up
- after a month or so remove support for vanilla structures from game client completely (means that all structures that players didnt convert will vanish)

S+ will be the vanilla engrams. They can switch those just fine without it effecting old vanilla builds. They would just convert meshs on update.

Removing the engrams from S+ afterwards will delete many, many more builds. That is the problem. The mod needs to be left alone and the vanilla engrams updated.

20 hours ago, Cataclisto said:

I don't even think they know themselves yet based on the stream and modders own comments on structures+ (ill paste that below), Hopefully the people talking about what they think might happen will influence wildcard into a positive direction, or at least influence them into adding something that would not of happened before based on our thoughts about it. Personally I hope they add stuff in sections, not all at once, gradual feedback for testing (the sooner the better so other modders can fix issues before aberration hits, which probably wont happen :P )...

image.thumb.png.71b65a0dc5314ea1ba03e43630a927ac.png

No they clearly do not. Hopefully they let Orionsun take the lead on the decision making as that is likely to have the best outcome for all. 

20 hours ago, ehuhoser said:

my only hopes is that orionsun includes the platforms plus into the mod as well with structures plus

That would be up to Wildcard, not Orionsun.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:22 PM, jaypak said:

4000 a month!, thats a pretty decent wage for playing videogames all day

But it's only a mediocre wage for being the programmer who develops fixes for major problems with a game. They could pay him $56,000 a year and it still wouldn't repay his true value to their game, he's worth every penny they pay him, and much more besides.

But it's only a mediocre wage for being the programmer who develops fixes for major problems with a game. They could pay him $56,000 a year and it still wouldn't repay his true value to their game, he's worth every penny they pay him, and much more besides.
Well, it must be enough for him. If it wasn't then I doubt we would be getting this feature integrated to the base game. It's not you who determines what's a mediocre wage for someone and what isn't. Only people who are getting that wage can say if it's mediocre for them or not.

23 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

15 minutes ago, Zuesneith said:
23 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Well, it must be enough for him. If it wasn't then I doubt we would be getting this feature integrated to the base game. It's not you who determines what's a mediocre wage for someone and what isn't. Only people who are getting that wage can say if it's mediocre for them or not.

See for these comments a could be making 100k a year for my modding/game experience 

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

The most proper thing for WC to do is to pay him royalties and put his name in game credits. I hope the author of S+ pointed that out clearly and it was signed on paper.

3 hours ago, Zuesneith said:
3 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

You seem to have overlooked something - you're getting serious about a strictly hypothetical number.

Someone said that they "hope" he gets paid $4000 per month. Then, someone else said that $4000 per month is a lot of money to get paid for playing games. Then, I pointed out that $4000 per month might be a lot of playing games, but it's pretty mediocre for a good programmer (which assumes that this programmer is working full time and that is their true salary). That entire conversation is hypothetical, we don't know how much they're paying him and we don't know if he's going to become a WC employee or is just selling them content, so really everyone was just thinking out loud. And clearly, yes, it must be enough for him, which is good for all of us because S+ is amazing.

You're right in one sense, it's not me who tells people who much money they should accept in order to be willing to take a job, but I can absolutely tell you that $56,000 is a mediocre wage for a developer in the U.S., where the national average is almost $82,000

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/software-developer-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm

I'm not "determining" anything about what's a mediocre wage and what's not, the facts are the facts regardless of what you think anyone "determines". If you want to take issue with me calling $56,000 "mediocre" you go right ahead, but the numbers speak for themselves.

6 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

You seem to have overlooked something - you're getting serious about a strictly hypothetical number.

Someone said that they "hope" he gets paid $4000 per month. Then, someone else said that $4000 per month is a lot of money to get paid for playing games. Then, I pointed out that $4000 per month might be a lot of playing games, but it's pretty mediocre for a good programmer (which assumes that this programmer is working full time and that is their true salary). That entire conversation is hypothetical, we don't know how much they're paying him and we don't know if he's going to become a WC employee or is just selling them content, so really everyone was just thinking out loud. And clearly, yes, it must be enough for him, which is good for all of us because S+ is amazing.

You're right in one sense, it's not me who tells people who much money they should accept in order to be willing to take a job, but I can absolutely tell you that $56,000 is a mediocre wage for a developer in the U.S., where the national average is almost $82,000

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/software-developer-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm

I'm not "determining" anything about what's a mediocre wage and what's not, the facts are the facts regardless of what you think anyone "determines". If you want to take issue with me calling $56,000 "mediocre" you go right ahead, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Why is it that people keep assuming how Orionsun is being compensated when there is no feasible way for anyone to have that information?

On 10/20/2017 at 11:32 PM, ducttapefixeseverything said:

Yes, but the big question is this:

Are they going to let the mod creator work on the slew of bugs sure to be found when it comes to official, or are they going to force him to come up with some doofus new Tek stuff?

The facepalms to this post are a sign of people totally out of touch with the devs priorities. For reasons already stated.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

What's this "pull system" spoken of?

Resource pull, I'm assuming. (I don't know what post you're responding to) Resource pull is when you can go into one bin and pull resources from other bins. So, if you're in the smithy, you can pull metal from nearby containers. (Containers include dinos, forges, etc...)

1 hour ago, anubis3691 said:

What's this "pull system" spoken of?

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

Resource pull, I'm assuming. (I don't know what post you're responding to) Resource pull is when you can go into one bin and pull resources from other bins. So, if you're in the smithy, you can pull metal from nearby containers. (Containers include dinos, forges, etc...)

The pull system, aka "The god-mode system", is what Lou describes but is so much more.  No more 30 minute trips back and forth to the dino!  No more tediously searching through all of your stuff to craft one item!  Instead, you use a menu, unload your dino straight to the forge.  Or you pull straight to the inventory and craft your item without hassle.

I know that if the pull system doesn't make it into the official cut, I'll be installing it on the side.  It's AMAZING.

13 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

The pull system, aka "The god-mode system", is what Lou describes but is so much more.  No more 30 minute trips back and forth to the dino!  No more tediously searching through all of your stuff to craft one item!  Instead, you use a menu, unload your dino straight to the forge.  Or you pull straight to the inventory and craft your item without hassle.

I know that if the pull system doesn't make it into the official cut, I'll be installing it on the side.  It's AMAZING.

That would be fantastic and gamechanging. Maybe we wouldn’t spend half the time playing “Ark: Moving Resources” with that functionality. :) 

That would be fantastic and gamechanging. Maybe we wouldn’t spend half the time playing “Ark: Moving Resources” with that functionality. [emoji4] 
Thank you Lou for explaining that :) and ty Scrysis for confirming and explaining as well.

As fun and obviously helpful as this seems, idk if I'd infact want it. Seems like for all it would do good there would be some drawbacks as well. For me atleast.

For instance, my metal base is on red woods, main base in southeast. It's alot of work flying metal and such back n forth on a quetz, but if I didn't have to, I may miss that red air drop. Or that 150 Dino I've been looking for that I just happen to spot on the way.

Or I'm extremely bad about using Dino's as storage boxes. If I didn't have to search for things and run around.. you know how many things I've "found" on my Dino's I didn't even know I had looking for other things lol... I'm pitiful.. I know.

So idk guys I'm kinda torn on my feelings of that. I'm sure alot of you are better organized so as my personal problems wouldn't affect you. So hopefully it'll get put in. Seems like alot of people would like to have it!

4 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Thank you Lou for explaining that :) and ty Scrysis for confirming and explaining as well.

As fun and obviously helpful as this seems, idk if I'd infact want it. Seems like for all it would do good there would be some drawbacks as well. For me atleast.

For instance, my metal base is on red woods, main base in southeast. It's alot of work flying metal and such back n forth on a quetz, but if I didn't have to, I may miss that red air drop. Or that 150 Dino I've been looking for that I just happen to spot on the way.

Or I'm extremely bad about using Dino's as storage boxes. If I didn't have to search for things and run around.. you know how many things I've "found" on my Dino's I didn't even know I had looking for other things lol... I'm pitiful.. I know.

So idk guys I'm kinda torn on my feelings of that. I'm sure alot of you are better organized so as my personal problems wouldn't affect you. So hopefully it'll get put in. Seems like alot of people would like to have it!

So it only works for resources, like metal ingots, metal, oil, electronics, etc.  So you'll still be able to "find" stuff on your dinos.  It just doesn't have to be resources that you find.

The pull system DOES have limited range and some limitations.  You're not going to be able to pull from one base to another (!).  You're going to STILL have to make that Quetz run.  The difference is that once you land, instead of having to run back and forth to the forge and the quetz to transfer metal for smelting, you just go over to the forge and pull it off the quetz.

16 minutes ago, DeerHunter666 said:

Well its a few monthes later, still no date?

The possibility/implication that S+ was being worked on/integrated to the base game was first hinted at/discussed almost a full year ago, in Febuary of 2017. A few months makes little difference in the Wildcard Zone, where space and time don't seem to apply in the same way they do for the rest of us. 

Realistically, if they decide to integrate it at all (They've scrapped bigger projects for less, on less notice), it probably won't be until after the next expansion, and personally, given how Wildcard works, I'd be surprised to see it within the current calendar year (IE I think it won't be out until late 2018, early 2019). 

Archived