convo with the Devs

Endoeuvre

This is an imaginary conversation, but one that I sincerely wish I could have! Sitting comfortably in leather chairs, cup or glass in hand.  

I'd begin the conversation with a gentle smile and say how much I love the game, followed by a frown and wrinkled brow...but...

I would explain what I felt a year ago; amazing optimism and the unbelievable potential for this Ark Survival Game to blow out the water, one of the most established games of all time..and the marketing opportunities (plush toys, books, sticker books! collectables galore) that would rival our favourite be-jeweled castles and characters...really there was no limit to the potential earnings.

Then I would tell them how disappointed I am in them, as they are letting all that potential slip away.  I would ask if they are just tired of it all and don't care.  It was cute and fun once, like a new puppy, but now, the puppy has grown into itself.  

If they were keen enough, open minded enough, I would make some suggestions. If they really wanted it to work, and I mean sustain them for years to come, they might be open to hearing what I had to say. Even reluctant ears might hear some whisper of the truth, if it's said right.  If I can make them understand.   I may already be talking to someone with a thousand-yard stare.  There really may not be a way to recover from this, I'll tell them. If they care. They might listen.

I would tell them that the game has stopped being fun.  I would tell them that they've imposed too many sanctions which seem to want to drive us all to either host our own servers, or to quit altogether.  I would tell them that no one person can wear all the hats.  You cannot be a good businessman, coder, designer, best-friend, husband, father, lover, accountant, psychiatrist, doctor or mentor.  No one person can do it all and no one person should hold all the power.  

I would ask if the person making the decisions does not feel that they are worthy of a successful game, and are self-sabotaging.  To them, I would say, it's time to move on and let someone else take the reins.  You're too close; you cannot see objectively or clearly any longer.  Step back and hire someone out of the industry that understands the fundamentals of business.  A good manager will drive the sales of your game.  A good team will make decisions as close to the customer as possible.  You could make the best game in the world but if you do not understand business you will fail.  Horribly.  You cannot develop a game and be it's business manager too.  The accountant can't program, and shouldn't. 

Stop punishing us for loving your game and start rewarding us for investing our time and money into your hobby, a hobby which has become ours as well.

The King isn't wearing any clothes.  Who dares to tell the King he is naked?

47 minutes ago, Endoeuvre said:

This is an imaginary conversation, but one that I sincerely wish I could have! Sitting comfortably in leather chairs, cup or glass in hand.  

I'd begin the conversation with a gentle smile and say how much I love the game, followed by a frown and wrinkled brow...but...

I would explain what I felt a year ago; amazing optimism and the unbelievable potential for this Ark Survival Game to blow out the water, one of the most established games of all time..and the marketing opportunities (plush toys, books, sticker books! collectables galore) that would rival our favourite be-jeweled castles and characters...really there was no limit to the potential earnings.

Then I would tell them how disappointed I am in them, as they are letting all that potential slip away.  I would ask if they are just tired of it all and don't care.  It was cute and fun once, like a new puppy, but now, the puppy has grown into itself.  

If they were keen enough, open minded enough, I would make some suggestions. If they really wanted it to work, and I mean sustain them for years to come, they might be open to hearing what I had to say. Even reluctant ears might hear some whisper of the truth, if it's said right.  If I can make them understand.   I may already be talking to someone with a thousand-yard stare.  There really may not be a way to recover from this, I'll tell them. If they care. They might listen.

I would tell them that the game has stopped being fun.  I would tell them that they've imposed too many sanctions which seem to want to drive us all to either host our own servers, or to quit altogether.  I would tell them that no one person can wear all the hats.  You cannot be a good businessman, coder, designer, best-friend, husband, father, lover, accountant, psychiatrist, doctor or mentor.  No one person can do it all and no one person should hold all the power.  

I would ask if the person making the decisions does not feel that they are worthy of a successful game, and are self-sabotaging.  To them, I would say, it's time to move on and let someone else take the reins.  You're too close; you cannot see objectively or clearly any longer.  Step back and hire someone out of the industry that understands the fundamentals of business.  A good manager will drive the sales of your game.  A good team will make decisions as close to the customer as possible.  You could make the best game in the world but if you do not understand business you will fail.  Horribly.  You cannot develop a game and be it's business manager too.  The accountant can't program, and shouldn't. 

Stop punishing us for loving your game and start rewarding us for investing our time and money into your hobby, a hobby which has become ours as well.

The King isn't wearing any clothes.  Who dares to tell the King he is naked?

Eh ok that's too deep. I would tell them to sell the game to a major mmo publisher like trion or blizzard, maybe Bethesda. When your own devs admit they don't know how to make an mmo and your head guy is still thinking cod with Dinos. But your right op on what could have been.... luckily other major publishers see it too I'm sure so it's just a matter of time.  Until then I'm done with this 'version' of the game.

Archived