Setting up shop for high productivity

20GT

When it comes down to it I'm always wishing I'd place this item closer or further to/from that item. 

I'm about to construct about 10,000 walls so I've placed 5 large chests opposite each other split by a path where I can reach both sides when encumbered. I'm going to fill these with stone lumber and thatch from riding up on either side or the middle. 

I suppose it's going to be something similar when I start mass production of ammo. 

What's your setup for the process of unloading dinos and construction?

I make a structure 5 deep, 9 wide and 14 high.  Shallow workshops are better for keeping everything inside close together.  I put 4 industrial forges in there with a vault and chem bench for each forge.  I have 2 fabricators placed between each set of 2 forges and a smithy or two near each forge.  At any forge I can access the forge, fabricator, the forge's vault, forge's chem bench and at least 1 smithy.  I have a metal beh gate leading into the workshop.  I can then fly my anky right up to a forge, whip it off the quetz, mount anky, left trigger all metal at a vault, whip/pick it up and deposit all.  Do the same with a mammoth and wood.

On a 2x weekend I can fill all 4 forges with wood in less than 30 minutes, including harvest time.  I then go out while the wood is burning and use my two melee ankys.  Fill the first with the quetz, then the second.  Takes maybe 30-45 minutes.  By that time a lot of charcoal is done.  I move the charcoal to the vaults and fill in the metal.  I then go out with both melee ankys and a weight anky and get flint for the next 30-45 minutes.  Come back, grab doed, fill it with like 90 stacks of stone.  By this time, I have 240 stacks of charcoal, 8,000 ingots and infinity stone/flint.  I spend the next 30-45 minutes making bullets/gunpowder/sparkpowder.  My doed can walk right up to each chem bench making moving stone easy.  Flint is light enough to walk around.

All-in, 2 hours of farming/constructing result in 8k bullets.  60 stacks of charcoal + chem bench = 2k bullets.

If I'm feeling frisky, I'll empty the forges before making bullets and fill them again with charcoal.  Usually have enough metal/flint/stone left to do another full run of bullets for 16k total in about 3 hours.  This is solo.  Obviously would be a lot quicker with multiple people.

For stone walls I get a ton of thatch with my wyvern, throw it in my rock golem and go "smash."  Make the stone structures as you go... need wood hit a tree, need stone hit a rock, see a rex throw a rock. Put a weight quetz following you and you can knock out thousands of stone structures very quickly.

13 hours ago, Brayn said:

I make a structure 5 deep, 9 wide and 14 high.  Shallow workshops are better for keeping everything inside close together.  I put 4 industrial forges in there with a vault and chem bench for each forge.  I have 2 fabricators placed between each set of 2 forges and a smithy or two near each forge.  At any forge I can access the forge, fabricator, the forge's vault, forge's chem bench and at least 1 smithy.  I have a metal beh gate leading into the workshop.  I can then fly my anky right up to a forge, whip it off the quetz, mount anky, left trigger all metal at a vault, whip/pick it up and deposit all.  Do the same with a mammoth and wood.

On a 2x weekend I can fill all 4 forges with wood in less than 30 minutes, including harvest time.  I then go out while the wood is burning and use my two melee ankys.  Fill the first with the quetz, then the second.  Takes maybe 30-45 minutes.  By that time a lot of charcoal is done.  I move the charcoal to the vaults and fill in the metal.  I then go out with both melee ankys and a weight anky and get flint for the next 30-45 minutes.  Come back, grab doed, fill it with like 90 stacks of stone.  By this time, I have 240 stacks of charcoal, 8,000 ingots and infinity stone/flint.  I spend the next 30-45 minutes making bullets/gunpowder/sparkpowder.  My doed can walk right up to each chem bench making moving stone easy.  Flint is light enough to walk around.

All-in, 2 hours of farming/constructing result in 8k bullets.  60 stacks of charcoal + chem bench = 2k bullets.

If I'm feeling frisky, I'll empty the forges before making bullets and fill them again with charcoal.  Usually have enough metal/flint/stone left to do another full run of bullets for 16k total in about 3 hours.  This is solo.  Obviously would be a lot quicker with multiple people.

I am also interested in a couple screenshots on how you make this. I am currently farming mats to build a new base and would love to start making mass amounts of ammo like this. 

11 hours ago, Zdread said:

I am also interested in a couple screenshots on how you make this. I am currently farming mats to build a new base and would love to start making mass amounts of ammo like this. 

Not posting screenies of my base bc people know my handle on here and I play on a pvp server.... but I can maybe better describe it?

F = Foundation

I = forge

FFFFFFFFF

FIFFFFFIF

FFFFFFFFF

FFFFFFFFF

FIFFFFFIF

BEHEMOTH GATE

The fabbies go on the left and the right between each set of two forges.  Chem benches right up next to the forge and facing the fabby.  Fabby is on a catwalk, so two smithys below it.  Catwalk on each side of fabby with vault on each.  Walk mammoth or anky in the middle and dump wood/metal at whichever forge you want.

On 10/19/2017 at 11:25 AM, 20GT said:

What's your setup for the process of unloading dinos and construction?

Dire bears, not joking.

It pretty much doesn't matter what base layout you use, IMO the best way to maximize your ability to transport materials & goods around your base is to build it in such a way that you can have a dire bear that can get too/from every container in your manufacturing area. You tame one fairly high level bear (say Lvl 120 or above) and then you only level weight on it, because it's going to permanently be an indoor pet. The nice thing about using a dire bear for this is that they only need one tile of space to get around, they have the best ratio of weight-to-size of just about any animal in the game, and they don't have tails so you don't need to worry about their collision box constantly interfering with your movement.

If you have big base in a safe location, or are on PvE, then you can make a long corridor with multiple doorways that let you pick the door closest to where you want to go, or if you want to be more compact you build a square/rectangle with your crafting stations in the center, a one tile wide corridor, and then a ring of vaults around the walls of the room.

For example:

|   Vault    |    Door    |   Vault    |   Vault    |   Vault    |   Vault    |  Vault    |

|   Vault    |   Floor    |   Floor    |   Floor    |   Floor    |   Floor    |   Vault    |

|   Vault    |   Floor    | Ind. Forge | Smithy | Stuff    |  Floor    |  Vault    |

|   Vault    |   Floor    | Chm Bnch | Fabricat |Grinder|  Floor |  Vault    |

|   Vault    |   Floor    |   Floor    |   Floor    |   Floor    |   Floor    |   Vault    |

|   Vault    |    Door    |   Vault    |   Vault    |   Vault   |   Vault    |  Vault    |

Of course not everything in the example is the same size, the exact placement of every object in the room will vary when you do your actual layout, this is just intended to give you rough picture of the idea.

If you have a room laid out in such a way that your dire bear can get to every object in the room, either while being ridden or on follow, then you can move tons and tons of stuff around the room quickly and efficiently.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Dire bears, not joking.

It pretty much doesn't matter what base layout you use, IMO the best way to maximize your ability to transport materials & goods around your base is to build it in such a way that you can have a dire bear that can get too/from every container in your manufacturing area. You tame one fairly high level bear (say Lvl 120 or above) and then you only level weight on it, because it's going to permanently be an indoor pet. The nice thing about using a dire bear for this is that they only need one tile of space to get around, they have the best ratio of weight-to-size of just about any animal in the game, and they don't have tails so you don't need to worry about their collision box constantly interfering with your movement.

If you have big base in a safe location, or are on PvE, then you can make a long corridor with multiple doorways that let you pick the door closest to where you want to go, or if you want to be more compact you build a square/rectangle with your crafting stations in the center, a one tile wide corridor, and then a ring of vaults around the walls of the room.

For example:

|   Vault    |    Door    |   Vault    |   Vault    |   Vault    |   Vault    |  Vault    |

|   Vault    |   Floor    | Ind. Forge | Smithy | Stuff    |  Floor    |  Vault    |

|   Vault    |   Floor    | Chm Bnch | Fabricat |Grinder|  Floor |  Vault    |

|   Vault    |    Door    |   Vault    |   Vault    |   Vault   |   Vault    |  Vault    |

Of course not everything in the example is the same size, the exact placement of every object in the room will vary when you do your actual layout, this is just intended to give you rough picture of the idea.

If you have a room laid out in such a way that your dire bear can get to every object in the room, either while being ridden or on follow, then you can move tons and tons of stuff around the room quickly and efficiently.

i like rhino over direbear ^^

rhino has simmilar speed then direbear when both are fully sprinting/chargibg

rhino has better weight (i have a rhino with allmost 5k weight)

rhino has better damage on the charge (full meter is pretty much 1-hit all)

direbear has better stamina

(PvE based)

We replace solid walls with 3 door frames, we block the door frames with vaults, then we walk our utility dino's up to it's respective vault (bronto thatch vault, mammoth wood vault, doedic stone vault) from the outside keeping it clearer inside. 

We also replace a corner wall with our forge and just walk the Anky right up to it. We can then access all those from inside. 

We then have a space between the forge and a set of 3 vaults which we store ings, gunpowder, and gas (all things made on the forge), then we have the smithy on the next side of those 3 vaults, we also have the saddle BP's and other smithy related BP's right there at head and foot, then we have 3 more vaults which store CP, Crystal, and Poly then we have the fabricator and fabricator specific BP's at head and foot of fab, then 3 vaults which is where our....you know what. To paint for a quick image. 

Below is a rough idea but the stone, wood, and thatch vault block the door opening and all the vaults are together. We tried to combine what is shared (obviously ing being the hardest but 4 transfers isn't bad or we can always walk a bear or mammoth in for one transfer depending on amount) which is why crystal and paste and are in the vaults that split the smith and fab.  It is definitely not operationally secure, lol but for PvE it is very efficient. If we need to make behemoth gates we just walk a Thorny or Beaver outside as well, if we need to just make walls we load up on thatch then stand between the wood and stone vault and the vault in front of the wood vault is our building pieces vault. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2017 at 7:22 PM, NathanAndDaddy said:

For stone walls I get a ton of thatch with my wyvern, throw it in my rock golem and go "smash."  Make the stone structures as you go... need wood hit a tree, need stone hit a rock, see a rex throw a rock. Put a weight quetz following you and you can knock out thousands of stone structures very quickly.

It's information says the other only harvests stone and sand. 

You say you collect wood? 

Screenshot_2017-12-07-22-28-50.png

• Volunteer Moderator
16 minutes ago, 20GT said:

It's information says the other only harvests stone and sand. 

You say you collect wood? 

Screenshot_2017-12-07-22-28-50.png

Your are using a fan-made app that didn't get updated for months and is unfortunately inaccurate on so many levels. From the harvests, to the stats calculator, etc. While it can also be outdated or carry wrong information too, the Official Wiki is the place you should look at for most up-to-date info. ;)

4 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Your are using a fan-made app that didn't get updated for months and is unfortunately inaccurate on so many levels. From the harvests, to the stats calculator, etc. While it can also be outdated or carry wrong information too, the Official Wiki is the place you should look at for most up-to-date info.

Sweet thanks 

Also I have an idea that I'd like opinions on. 

I'm thinking about putting pillars under my entire base in a sub basement so I can use the bridge trick whenever needed.

Here's the part I'm not sure of. Above that subbasement I'm thinking of making the floor out of the tops of vaults so that I can access everything from riding/walking on top of them. Earlier someone mentioned the machine on catwalks. Of course pillars will have to be placed at particular spots. 

IMG_20171207_062121.jpg

On 19/10/2017 at 4:45 PM, Brayn said:

I use a doed for flint , fill it up and grind all the stone to flint , probably a bit quicker than the anky and you get loads of exp too

48 minutes ago, 20GT said:

Is there a cap limit on the flint/thatch on the grinder? 

46 minutes ago, Saupe said:

no, but it starts throwing a fit when it hits 250ish slots (mass grinding of stone/wood for xp)

unless you mean grind at one time and then it is 1000 if done just a grinder full of wood/stone. Of course you can just keep hitting grind when it gets below 1000 back up to a 1000. I found that if you fill up a row with wood and then the rest stone or vice versa you can grind the row of thatch first and then get up to 5000 (I believe) of flint at a shot or vice versa. This allows you to walk away and do other stuff for a bit longer. 

1 hour ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

unless you mean grind at one time and then it is 1000 if done just a grinder full of wood/stone. Of course you can just keep hitting grind when it gets below 1000 back up to a 1000. I found that if you fill up a row with wood and then the rest stone or vice versa you can grind the row of thatch first and then get up to 5000 (I believe) of flint at a shot or vice versa. This allows you to walk away and do other stuff for a bit longer. 

yeah, 1000 crafts of each. I meant when you just keep using the grinder to grind wood etc, it starts to get buggy if slots reach 250ish, and can crash if it is in the 300+ stacks range, basically, keep dropping thatch/processing the flint. 

On 12/8/2017 at 3:53 AM, X111 said:

I  find golems better than doeds

Just got a Golem last weekend and you are right, they are so much better than the doed, because the golem collects mega lumber as well.

I've put stone blueprints in his inventory so I don't have to transfer resources to myself to make stone items. I've got my brontosaurus following him around and when I need thatch I just jump on the bronto. Their both set on neutral so I just leave them wherever on the plato across from the castle.

This is an extremely fast way to make stone buildings. 

24955660_145733506082633_7360124876254410838_o (1).jpg

Archived