i have been playing ark for a while and i am getting tired of the barrier on non dedicated servers. so i want to become a host. now i know i need another Xbox 1 another gamer tag and another ark. i have been reading and have found no one suggesting anything else. i mean for other Xboxes , ... i could join random players but they always mess with players. why is no one suggesting good host like recommend them.? are all there servers taken.? as for gamer tags, i guess it can't that be helped. you do need to be log into 2 places at once for it to work. you could ask friend that don't use there Xbox instead of buying a new account just to do be host of a dedicated server. now i correct me if i'm wrong i know you can share accounts... make  a friends account your home  which in turn lets your share games so in theory it should work on ark? so not having to buy it again or is ark one of those games that need a disk to work.? ok that is all i have found out now what i want to know. when being a host what is needed. like internet speed etc. and when being a host what could go wrong. game crashing. game not working. how to keep Xbox on 24/7. does my xbox have to be on 24/7 for it to work and what happens if it isn't. does it wipe everything or go back to the last save like non dedicated? if people have more to add or have ideas on things i have asked about please reply asap. before i buy all the Xbox , gamer tag ,another ark. also whats with the normal ark and primitive does having other one affect the other. so say i made a host dedicated server on normal and them when on primitive does the new one over write the old one or do i get on on each? and can i run servers on both at the same time or only 1 server 1 host? thank you.

Okay so lets take this one step at a time. Firstly, hosting a server is a lot easier than some may realise. Yes, you do currently require a second xbox to purely host the game and as you know the tether is removed, but there are problems with this.

1. Connectivity problems for secondary players - Now this will likely effect everyone that plays and the problem lies in that it can be down to simple internet at any players end. I do get this from time to time (and this problem also includes myself not being able to connect). When this happens a simple hard reset of the server is required. However, this does not delete server data, so all will be fine when players reconnect.

2. Xbox updates and game updates can also be an issue as they will disconnect players from the game. On a couple of occasions I have had this happen to me, and lost equipment etc.etc. but as long as you try to remember where you last were on the map your playing on then it should be relatively easy to find everything you lost.

3. Switching game type. Not a good idea as Primitive plus saved data will likely (although I haven't tested this in the past serveral large updates) overwrite the any previously saved data so choose a different map if using primitive plus.

4. Finally, you may find that, like many player dedis, yours doesn't appear in the selectable list when other players would like to join. If this happens (mine never seems to be shown) you would be well advised to advertise it here and possibly on a facebook page.

As to the matter of account sharing. Although I personally purchased a second account for the server itself, I do share my own account with a friend of mine and he has access to all my games. If you haven't done that yet you could share your current xbox account with the server xbox but make sure you set the server xbox to "home" and you should be good to go.

With regards to the server being online 24/7. It isn't necessary but it also depends if you have other players on the server who are located in different time zones. From my own experience running a server for almost as long as the games been out, as long as theres plenty of ventilation around the server it should run fine contrary to what I've seen posted. You also need to remember that its - "one xbox, one server". Theres currently no cluster available to us player dedi owners so your stuck with hosting on each seperate xbox. If you do actually decide to have two or more servers then you can upload such things as dinos and certain items but characters won't transfer unless listed in the joinable server listing in game and the options to allow uploads/downloads are enabled. One thing to note at this point, if your using your own bandwidth for either downloading or streaming it can "sometimes" (I stress this word here) lead to disconnections or connecting problems so a decnet connections would be advised. My own connection runs anywhere between 9mbs to about 20mbs download and between 0.9mbs and 3mbs download and I have little to no problems.

However, even after all this you may want to hold off getting a second xbox for one of two reasons:

1. Xbox one X. Apparently, and this is officially stated that the xbox one x will be able to function as both tether removed host and play xbox, so if you may be getting one of these new xboxs to replace your own then this will be a far better option.

2. Xbox are supposed to either have or are supposed to be getting rentable servers but I've yet to see anything to indepth posted concerning this. Not to sure about cross format play either, but as Minecraft has this option it might be possible to do this with a pc at some point in the future (don't hold your breath though).

Anyway. Onto the good things about running a server:

1. Its yours to run as you see fit. As you've seen from the ton of forum threads theres alsorts of ways of running servers. RPG, PVP, PVE, Primitive plus etc.etc. Editable settings (although not as indepth as the pc) can seriously change the way a server is run, but one thing to remember. Do you enjoy the grind or would you rather be levelled up straight away? Do you like massive carry weights (don't refer to it as infinite as that isn't possible contrary to what hass been posted on this forum)? Do you prefer to run a game with default (public server) stats? Theres literally tones of ways to set up a game.

2. Population. Unlike the pc and official xbox servers you are limited to a maximum of 50 players including yourself (the host doesn't actually play although they do show up in the list). If your population is small it can feel as though the game may be running a bit stale and starting a new map can be a pain. However, remember that you would basically be an "Ark god".

3. Rules. Your also free to issue your own set of rules on how the server should be run. Its not difficult to promote and demote players (including yourself) to admin, and removing trouble makers is VERY easy indeed.

4. Other connecting players. One thing which some people may not be aware of is that friends of friends can connect to your server either just by adding the server account to thier friends list or by connecting when that player is online. I've had this myself in the past and whilst it can be a bit of pain with seeing thatch cubes (players can be so untidy sometimes) in critical places its not difficult to remove these eyesores.

Anyway. I think I've drivelled enough for now. Hope this helps, but I would strongly suggest looking around at other servers listed on the forum. You may see something you might like to try.

also thought of other thing. Say 2 friends made a third  account on xbox live and used it on both xbox ones at different times would it work as one continuous dedicated server or would they mess each other up? note the person not on would be the host and the other person on would be the admin? would we have to change where we saved it to. because it mite make to different saves on the same map?

also you mentioned ... hard reset what do i do. click on .go to do this? ...is this just turning restarting ark on the hosting xbox?

I'm not sure I follow the first part of your reply, but I'm have no idea as I only use one xbox as a server. The thing is when you host a server, you are primary admin. You can promote others to admin and then they can use the admin console command bar to use the various commands.

The xbox hard reset (not to be confused with the game reset) is simply the following:

1. Exit the game as you would normally back to the xbox dashboard.
2. Hold the power button on the front of the xbox for around 7 to 10 seconds. This will switch of the xbox completely.
3. Wait a couple of seconds and press power button. You will be greeted by the usual green screen with the xbox logo on it.
4. Run the game as normal.

This is beneficial to do every so often anyway, as it completely clears the console cache (this holds the current state of anything thats been loaded). Clearing the cache will free up used memory and can help lessen the problems caused from crashes, hangs and freezes.

Guest DJRone89
On 18/10/2017 at 1:30 PM, Woodsplatypus56 said:

Okay so lets take this one step at a time. Firstly, hosting a server is a lot easier than some may realise. Yes, you do currently require a second xbox to purely host the game and as you know the tether is removed, but there are problems with this.

1. Connectivity problems for secondary players - Now this will likely effect everyone that plays and the problem lies in that it can be down to simple internet at any players end. I do get this from time to time (and this problem also includes myself not being able to connect). When this happens a simple hard reset of the server is required. However, this does not delete server data, so all will be fine when players reconnect.

2. Xbox updates and game updates can also be an issue as they will disconnect players from the game. On a couple of occasions I have had this happen to me, and lost equipment etc.etc. but as long as you try to remember where you last were on the map your playing on then it should be relatively easy to find everything you lost.

3. Switching game type. Not a good idea as Primitive plus saved data will likely (although I haven't tested this in the past serveral large updates) overwrite the any previously saved data so choose a different map if using primitive plus.

4. Finally, you may find that, like many player dedis, yours doesn't appear in the selectable list when other players would like to join. If this happens (mine never seems to be shown) you would be well advised to advertise it here and possibly on a facebook page.

As to the matter of account sharing. Although I personally purchased a second account for the server itself, I do share my own account with a friend of mine and he has access to all my games. If you haven't done that yet you could share your current xbox account with the server xbox but make sure you set the server xbox to "home" and you should be good to go.

With regards to the server being online 24/7. It isn't necessary but it also depends if you have other players on the server who are located in different time zones. From my own experience running a server for almost as long as the games been out, as long as theres plenty of ventilation around the server it should run fine contrary to what I've seen posted. You also need to remember that its - "one xbox, one server". Theres currently no cluster available to us player dedi owners so your stuck with hosting on each seperate xbox. If you do actually decide to have two or more servers then you can upload such things as dinos and certain items but characters won't transfer unless listed in the joinable server listing in game and the options to allow uploads/downloads are enabled. One thing to note at this point, if your using your own bandwidth for either downloading or streaming it can "sometimes" (I stress this word here) lead to disconnections or connecting problems so a decnet connections would be advised. My own connection runs anywhere between 9mbs to about 20mbs download and between 0.9mbs and 3mbs download and I have little to no problems.

However, even after all this you may want to hold off getting a second xbox for one of two reasons:

1. Xbox one X. Apparently, and this is officially stated that the xbox one x will be able to function as both tether removed host and play xbox, so if you may be getting one of these new xboxs to replace your own then this will be a far better option.

2. Xbox are supposed to either have or are supposed to be getting rentable servers but I've yet to see anything to indepth posted concerning this. Not to sure about cross format play either, but as Minecraft has this option it might be possible to do this with a pc at some point in the future (don't hold your breath though).

Anyway. Onto the good things about running a server:

1. Its yours to run as you see fit. As you've seen from the ton of forum threads theres alsorts of ways of running servers. RPG, PVP, PVE, Primitive plus etc.etc. Editable settings (although not as indepth as the pc) can seriously change the way a server is run, but one thing to remember. Do you enjoy the grind or would you rather be levelled up straight away? Do you like massive carry weights (don't refer to it as infinite as that isn't possible contrary to what hass been posted on this forum)? Do you prefer to run a game with default (public server) stats? Theres literally tones of ways to set up a game.

2. Population. Unlike the pc and official xbox servers you are limited to a maximum of 50 players including yourself (the host doesn't actually play although they do show up in the list). If your population is small it can feel as though the game may be running a bit stale and starting a new map can be a pain. However, remember that you would basically be an "Ark god".

3. Rules. Your also free to issue your own set of rules on how the server should be run. Its not difficult to promote and demote players (including yourself) to admin, and removing trouble makers is VERY easy indeed.

4. Other connecting players. One thing which some people may not be aware of is that friends of friends can connect to your server either just by adding the server account to thier friends list or by connecting when that player is online. I've had this myself in the past and whilst it can be a bit of pain with seeing thatch cubes (players can be so untidy sometimes) in critical places its not difficult to remove these eyesores.

Anyway. I think I've drivelled enough for now. Hope this helps, but I would strongly suggest looking around at other servers listed on the forum. You may see something you might like to try.

You should really keep up to date with the latest news; The Xbox One X still has a tether on non-dedicated servers, and the rented Nitrado servers launch next Wednesday on the 25th.

20 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

You should really keep up to date with the latest news; The Xbox One X still has a tether on non-dedicated servers, and the rented Nitrado servers launch next Wednesday on the 25th.

Thats why I said "apparently", and I was looking at local split screen so I stand corrected. As for Nitrado. Well we'll see it when it happens (knowing past history of update release times).

Archived