Breeders, what do you consider to be good stats for Thylas and Argies?

IanHighlander

So I've been heavily into the breeding side of things for a few months now (Mods: this is on my own private servers, so this is not a plug for trading or selling as that's impossible and purely for conversation only).

I'm currently breeding lots of different animals for colour mutations and having quite a lot of success and a hell of a lot of fun trying to breed in specific colour combinations, however I'm also breeding a couple of stat based lines specifically in Argies and Thylacoleos and am curious as to what is considered to be a high level stat breed for both. I spend a hell of a lot of my time taming new Thylas and Argies in that desperate search for better stats to inject in to my bloodlines but while I "think" mine are getting reasonably good, I have nothing for comparison so they may be average or even bad.

My current base bloodline stats are:

Argy (level 279 born): Hp 3212.1 (39pts), St 4125 (45pts), Ox 720 (38pts), Fo 10200 (41pts), We 623 (39pts), Dm 372.8 (42pts), Sp 100% (34pts), To 10608.5 (278)

Thyla (level 288 born): Hp 6580.1 (42pts), St 2160 (44pts), Ox 980 (39pts), Fo 8797.5 (41pts), We 680 (35pts), Dm 381.5 (45pts), Sp 130% (41pts), To 12754.5 (287)

On the Argies, this is as far as I can go until I find better stats as this is all the top stats I have now bred into one line but on the Thylas I'm currently trying to breed in 43 point food and 38 point weight stats that I have, although it's slow progress.

I know this is nowhere near what's possible out there, but am curious as don't see many people talking about it, so what's considered good? What's your bloodlines doing at the moment on these?

This is purely a curiosity post for a conversation and to see how I'm doing compared to some of the "pros" out there. 

Seems relatively good, the key is to keep looking for wild ones that have atleast one better stat than yours, exactly what you are doing. Or breed so much that you get 40 mutations, good luck with that.
Im pretty sure you'll find better argies than that if you just keep looking. Install super spyglass to see the wild levels easily. I got some argys with 50-55 in one stat.

I have found out that the stats for dinos etc don't need to be super high, its more important to have a dino that combines "good enough" stats.
If you have dino that is, lets say lvl 220, ask yourself how many times you died or were unable to complete a task because it was bad? Never.

Also you might not need to breed food stat into most of the dinos, sure it looks more badass when it has high level when born.

4 minutes ago, Boubbin said:

Seems relatively good, the key is to keep looking for wild ones that have atleast one better stat than yours, exactly what you are doing. Or breed so much that you get 40 mutations, good luck with that.
Im pretty sure you'll find better argies than that if you just keep looking. Install super spyglass to see the wild levels easily. I got some argys with 50-55 in one stat.

I have found out that the stats for dinos etc don't need to be super high, its more important to have a dino that combines "good enough" stats.
If you have dino that is, lets say lvl 220, ask yourself how many times you died or were unable to complete a task because it was bad? Never.

Also you might not need to breed food stat into most of the dinos, sure it looks more badass when it has high level when born.

Oh, don't get me wrong, my top level Thylas or Argies, fully levelled up can deal with just about anything in game (almost) with ease, but the point is the challenge of making them the best stats you can which is why I'm doing it and if I'm honest I just don't know what's "good". 50-55 stats are way over and above what I have currently which was kind of the point of this post to see how much I'm lacking by, very nice.

If it was just about being able to kill stuff I'd be using my Wyverns pretty much all the time, but I find breeding fun and challenging to get what you want out of it especially the colour mutations :)

5 hours ago, Antitheft2 said:

Argy (level 279 born): Hp 3212.1 (39pts), St 4125 (45pts), Ox 720 (38pts), Fo 10200 (41pts), We 623 (39pts), Dm 372.8 (42pts), Sp 100% (34pts), To 10608.5 (278)

This is purely a curiosity post for a conversation and to see how I'm doing compared to some of the "pros" out there. 

I'm certainly no "pro" when it comes to breeding but I have spent some time doing Argents, My base stats are:

(level 269 born): Hp 3431, St 1300, Ox 735, Fo 11800, We 744, Dm 419

Normally, you should be looking for new blood to breed into your argy because after "flyer nerf" they dont spend points into speed anymore so its quite easy to find 50+ points into any given stat (and argies received an overall buff to most stats apart from speed and stam).

But as i can see from your "St 4125 (45pts)... Sp 100% (34pts) " it isnt applicable to you, thus you asking if yours is a good breed makes no sense because it is not a vanilla Argy but a modded creature.

Argents with their current point distribution seems to make 40-50 points average, since they don't have wild speed levels anymore I'll go as far as to say that anything above 55 points would be considered a top quality argent these days. Before the flyer nerf people averaged levels of 270 on argents after many generations + combining. This now only takes 1 - 3 generations, later down the line once mutations come into play were going to be seeing 300+ birds far sooner then we did on the legacy servers.

1 hour ago, DarthaNyan said:

Normally, you should be looking for new blood to breed into your argy because after "flyer nerf" they dont spend points into speed anymore so its quite easy to find 50+ points into any given stat (and argies received an overall buff to most stats apart from speed and stam).

But as i can see from your "St 4125 (45pts)... Sp 100% (34pts) " it isnt applicable to you, thus you asking if yours is a good breed makes no sense because it is not a vanilla Argy but a modded creature.

We do run classic flyers on our servers so yes it's a modded creature to that extent, but beyond the fact we can pump movement speed on our flyers everything to do with levels/XP is vanilla rates intentionally. As I understand it though, even vanilla flyers still get points into speed, but they are effectively wasted points as they don't have any impact on the speed. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding of it.

1 hour ago, M3atball said:

mass tame 145+ wild ones and look for better stats, then combine, i personally go for hp and dmg

Yeah I'm constantly hunting for, taming (and usually killing afterwards) any high level Argies and Thylas I see to try and up my stats, every so often I get a slightly higher one in one stat or another but yet to come across anything in the high 40's or 50's. Always on the look out though so it will happen eventually I hope :)

My wife and I play on our own private servers which aren't even exposed to the outside world so I'm not trying to breed up anything for any particular use just simply trying to make the highest level I can over time in all stats just for the fun and the challenge. Am I the only one doing this?

As I said the point of this thread was just to start a discussion and see what other people had and how well mine compared, not so well it would seem, which is kind of what I expected, but I'm in this for the long haul xD

18 hours ago, Cataclisto said:

Argents with their current point distribution seems to make 40-50 points average, since they don't have wild speed levels anymore I'll go as far as to say that anything above 55 points would be considered a top quality argent these days. Before the flyer nerf people averaged levels of 270 on argents after many generations + combining. This now only takes 1 - 3 generations, later down the line once mutations come into play were going to be seeing 300+ birds far sooner then we did on the legacy servers.

My 279 Argies are 5th generation and the 288 Thylas are 13th gen but definitely hoping to get them up to even higher levels, as I say though, it's just for the challenge of doing it not for any particular purpose.

Keep taming 130+ then after the tame input the stats into dododex. Look for any stat with +50 points in it. Say hp for instance. Then tame more until you find one with at least 50 points in another stat say...hp. so then breed them until the baby gets both the 50+ point stats which results in a beast...then tame.more with the other stats etc lol. Long process

53 minutes ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Keep taming 130+ then after the tame input the stats into dododex. Look for any stat with +50 points in it. Say hp for instance. Then tame more until you find one with at least 50 points in another stat say...hp. so then breed them until the baby gets both the 50+ point stats which results in a beast...then tame.more with the other stats etc lol. Long process

I thought Dododex was a bad choice after taming for checking stats? Other than Dododex, is there another browser based site that gives accurate stat assessments after taming? I sorta use the Ark Breeding program, but its very confusing and doesnt work most of the time when I plug in stats post-tame.

Dododex is wrong for post-tame melee stats on all creatures but is good for most other stats, always verify the wiki page in basic info before checking.

I personally calculate my melee stats by hand, exemple:

Rex:

According to the wiki, taming a Rex gives the following taming bonus for melee: add 7% Mult 17.6%

Let's take a rex with 355 base melee.        355/1.176= 302%   302-7= 295%   (295-100(100% is base))/5= 39    This rex has 39 points in melee

1 hour ago, Lancelot said:

Dododex is wrong for post-tame melee stats on all creatures but is good for most other stats, always verify the wiki page in basic info before checking.

I personally calculate my melee stats by hand, exemple:

Rex:

According to the wiki, taming a Rex gives the following taming bonus for melee: add 7% Mult 17.6%

Let's take a rex with 355 base melee.        355/1.176= 302%   302-7= 295%   (295-100(100% is base))/5= 39    This rex has 39 points in melee

that is only true for 100% TE, or close to 100%, otherwise Mult is lower than 17.6%

12 hours ago, Boubbin said:

the actual key is to have an wc admin spawn in a replacement dino that has auto decay with at the same level as the one that disappear so that you can get a Lv 277 dino start at level 1. Well that is how its done on official server, being that this is private server you can just spawn in more and more or keep taming and breeding for mutation.

Lol @ all the people trying to explain the process of taming high level animals to add stats. I appreciate the effort guys really, but some of you really didn't read the original post from the looks of things. xD

I know the process, I understand what I have to do, god knows I've been doing it long enough, I've tamed (and slaughtered most) more creatures than I care to think about. I found another 150 Argy just last night but it turned out to have rubbish stats and ended up in my feeding troughs. We have literally hundreds of creatures we've bred with various colour mutations stored on one of our servers that we no longer play on for future use creating fun colour combinations (some pics in my Steam screenshots for anyone that may be interested).

Despite the fact it's my server and I "could" spawn in whatever I wanted, I'm not interested in doing so and never have been. We play this game legit because to do otherwise takes away from the game for us. We do have some accelerated breeding settings on one of our servers to remove some of the tedium of breeding and keep the fun parts and all our servers run 4x gathering rates but all the player and creature level and xp stats are completely vanilla (give or take classic flyers being installed) and all animals we've tamed/caught have been done so legitimately, grinding in the same way others do on officials.

My original question, which maybe I phrased badly as it seems a lot of people misunderstood me, was simply a "how'm I doing compared to others". I was curious/interested (and still am) in what other breeders have stat wise in particular in Argies and Thylas (which no one's even mentioned so far) but I guess in anything. I'm very well aware that mine are no where near the best and thanks to a couple of posts here at least now know the sort of range that's considered a good stat but the breeding bug hooked me in a few months back and is the main reason I play the game now and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there doing that so was interested to see what others did/had.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's replied, genuinely, even if some of them didn't read or misunderstood my original question, I do tend to babble on quite a lot so maybe I just wrote too much for most people to read. Still very interested in a conversation about what people have and what are good stats etc, but really, I don't need a lesson in the basics of taming, I have over 2000 hours in this game in 8 months :$ 

Edit: it is interesting to see some of the actual maths that goes into the calculations though, some interesting stuff there, although I'm far to old and lazy to be bothered sitting working things out manually when a piece of software does it all for me lol

1 hour ago, Antitheft2 said:

Still very interested in a conversation about what people have and what are good stats etc

On a server with max wild lv150 45 points in stat on fresh tame is considered good, 50 points in one stat is just about as high as you can get. In VERY rare occasions one can find 51 or even 52 points in stat, but these are more like exceptions and shouldn't be set as goal. Anything higher is a long and tedious process of mutation stacking.

On top of that players on official servers have to be aware of dino level cap (dinos higher than lv450 will be deleted), so that adds another spin on breeding programs - taming lvl 5 specimen with as low TE as possible (to reduce number of bonus levels) and breed out unneeded stats to free room for mutation stacking of those you need. In your Argy's case that would be speed, oxygen, food and possibly/partially stam (because you dont need that much with Classic Flyers mod anyways). While overall level at hatch will tank, performance-wise they will stay the same and there will be plenty of room for improvement.

1 hour ago, Antitheft2 said:

although I'm far to old and lazy to be bothered sitting working things out manually when a piece of software does it all for me

It is important to understand where the numbers come from and how they are calculated. The most common mistake i have seen is players use stat calcs like dododex or one on the wiki to determine stat distribution of a fresh tame... and then claim stuff like "i have 60 points in melee after tame" on forums. Many content creators such as youtubers are prone to this mistake as well, and i cringe every time i hear "melee is higher than average" on a 320 melee after-tame of a generic creature.

16 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

It is important to understand where the numbers come from and how they are calculated. The most common mistake i have seen is players use stat calcs like dododex or one on the wiki to determine stat distribution of a fresh tame... and then claim stuff like "i have 60 points in melee after tame" on forums. Many content creators such as youtubers are prone to this mistake as well, and i cringe every time i hear "melee is higher than average" on a 320 melee after-tame of a generic creature.

100% agree and despite my laziness I do get the difference and have since I started breeding as I'm the sort of geek that will spend days reading up on something before starting it. I have only ever used Ark Smart Breeding for stat checking. I genuinely find it interesting how it's all calculated, I just don't play a game to spend time doing maths when something else will do it for me lol

Thanks for an overall informative and interesting post.

Edit: I finally managed to get the 43 point food stat (no matter how useless it is) into my Thyla bloodline last night, so my new breeding pair are now both 290's (14th and 15th generation), just the 38 weight stat to breed in and I'm maxed out on my current stats. Spent another couple of fruitless hours last night Thyla hunting but with no joy, killed a few low level ones off so will be hunting again tonight when I get home from work. Did get a few more colour mutations last night as well, but that's not what this thread is about of course.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e68c6fe90ea791c738e2b1dde90f3626.jpg

Non-stop breeding (and found a couple of slightly higher wild stats to breed in) and this is now where I stand. All my highest stats now in one line and we've bred two different colour variations, a bright blue body, dark blue back stripe, white belly variation for me and a magenta body, dark purple stripe, lilac belly variation for my wife.

Meet Bluebell, born at level 299 - Hp 6860.1 (44pts), St 2240 (46pts), Ox 980 (39pts), Fo 9142.5 (43pts), We 704 (38pts), Dm 381.5 (45pts), Sp 130% (43pts), To 13216.5 (298)

stats.thumb.jpg.fecc8fabc830d5721f13796537032122.jpg

20171024195847_1.thumb.jpg.c87f7c73af470270b580e8692e62eba6.jpg

20171024195925_1.thumb.jpg.ce9a5c250245f4aa539208d9f351ec1c.jpg

20171024224751_1.thumb.jpg.f9bab91a8309c9a135582dbbda83834b.jpg

Quite pleased with this, it's been a lot of work. I'm still on the look out for better wild stats to breed in constantly, but for now, my Thyla breeding has reached where I can go with it.

Archived