Ragnarok Lore and Origin

Auzy4554

So I had seen the name Ragnarok in many things such as the new Thor movie, some old shows and movies, Nordic lore, and, of course, the brand new Ark map we all know and love. I was curious to find out what Ragnarok actually meant and the origin of it. Keep in mind this is all lore and not actual history. Here's what I found:

Ragnarok comes from Norse Lore, where it is the name of a massive battle between the gods and all of the evil in the world, led by Loki. The word itself means "the doom of the gods." The war causes the universe to be destroyed and made anew. The war causes the now barren earth to sink below the ocean, but later to be risen again as a beautiful new world.

Ragnarok and Ark

Before Ragnarok happened, this is what 'Norse Mythology For Smart People' says about it; "In Midgard, the realm of human civilization, people abandoned their traditional ways, disregarded the bonds of kinship, and sank into a wayward, listless nihilism." My theory (and this is only a theory) is that the ruins we see in Ragnarok the map are the ruins of the human civilization before it fell in the war. I also believe the swamp castle could also be the fortress of the gods.

Anyways, I just wanted to share what I found in my little bit of research. I could be wrong in some areas so if I am please correct me down below. Anyone have thoughts on this or other theories?

Archived