Ark Suggestions!!

Auzy4554

So tomorrow I have made plans to set aside 8 hours for Ark! This is a big deal for me because of my busy schedule.  Any suggestions on what I should do/tame/grind/etc?  One thing i want to do for sure is to finally tame a griffin.  Anyways, leave some suggestions of what to do in that large amount of time and ill post here about what i end up doing.

Are you playing PVP/PVE/Official/Unofficial/Single player? My advice will differ greatly based on the game type you are playing.

Also what level are you? Tribe? Solo? Describe your base. What dinos do you have already?
Yeah sorry I should have included those lol. I am on PS4 PvP Official Ragnarok. My level is around 74. I play solo with the occasional friend to help me. I have the help of an alpha tribe with almost anything I need, such as kibble, turrets, meat runs etc. My base is medium sized with a generator, fabricator, and of course a smithy and forges. My dinos are: a solo tamed lvl 170 rex, a pack of lvl 100+ hyenas, a megatherium, a low lvl doed, and a lvl 200+ beaver/castro. I live right next to the beaver dams so I can get pearls, cp, rare flowers and rare mushrooms anytime I want.

Then it seems you are light in the flyer department. I think taming a griffin would be a great usage of your time. They are one of the most fun/useful flyers in the game. Make sure you make a griffin trap when taming one, makes things a lot easier. Make sure you have allo kibble ready to go or access to mutton. Dont bother with low level griffins, lvl 135+ is the way to go.

Then it seems you are light in the flyer department. I think taming a griffin would be a great usage of your time. They are one of the most fun/useful flyers in the game. Make sure you make a griffin trap when taming one, makes things a lot easier. Make sure you have allo kibble ready to go or access to mutton. Dont bother with low level griffins, lvl 135+ is the way to go.
Yeah that's what i was planning. My buds in the alpha tribe have Griffin traps littered around the canyon that I can use, along with a supply of allo kibble.

With what you have, I'd say griffin and high lvl argy. Also you don't have any water tames, so I'd shoot for a lvl100+ megalodon. They are nice cause you can swim them into the canyon to park them and don't have to worry too much about wilds attacking them
Thanks for the tip. I was actually thinking about taming and itchy but a megalodon sounds much better. I also forgot to mention I have a lvl 200 ptera, and I plan to use it to steal wyvern eggs as soon as I pump some stamina into it

lemme explain to you how to make the perfect griffin taming pen. requires having a pteranodon.

1. make a square with 2x2 stone fence foundations.

2. place stone dinosaur gate where you want the front to be

3. surround with 4-high stone railings

5. make one of the rear stone railings only 2-high, making a gap

5. place a pillar in the middle of the back and attach stone ceilings to it to cover up the top

why the railings? so that scorpions and sabertooths snd raptors don't eat your sleeping tame, or hurt it and ruin the effectiveness. have tested this and even when the head/wing is clipping through the wall it cannot be hurt by wild animals. BUT you can still shoot it with tranqs.

why the gap? a pteranodon can fit through a 2-high stone railing gap, but a griffin cant. this allows you to kite it through there and escape out the other side.

Assuming you already know this, but just in case. If you use a Ptera to kite the griffin or Argy into the trap, it should be able to fly thru the columns of the trap, while the griffin or Argy get stuck inside. Just make sure to attack your target (meaning get the target aggro'd on your Ptera) prior to entering the trap.  That way, you can dismount your Ptera and shut the trap gates, while the target is still focused on your Ptera, and not you.

I would also recommend taming 2-3 Argies.  1 for weight (resources transport), 1 for melee (meat gathering and protection), and 1 for stamina (exploring, beacon & loot crates).

lemme explain to you how to make the perfect griffin taming pen. requires having a pteranodon.
1. make a square with 2x2 stone fence foundations.
2. place stone dinosaur gate where you want the front to be
3. surround with 4-high stone railings
5. make one of the rear stone railings gap only 2-high, making a gap
5. place a pillar in the middle of the back and attach stone ceilings to it to cover up the top
why the railings? so that scorpions and sabertooths snd raptors don't eat your sleeping tame, or hurt it and ruin the effectiveness. have tested this and even when the head/wing is clipping through the wall it cannot be hurt by wild animals. BUT you can still shoot it with tranqs.
why the gap? a pteranodon can fit through a 2-high stone railing gap, but a griffin cant. this allows you to kite it through there and escape out the other side.

Sounds like a great strategy [emoji106] I'll use these suggestions

4 minutes ago, Auzy4554 said:
6 minutes ago, Supaciv said:
With what you have, I'd say griffin and high lvl argy. Also you don't have any water tames, so I'd shoot for a lvl100+ megalodon. They are nice cause you can swim them into the canyon to park them and don't have to worry too much about wilds attacking them

Thanks for the tip. I was actually thinking about taming and itchy but a megalodon sounds much better. I also forgot to mention I have a lvl 200 ptera, and I plan to use it to steal wyvern eggs as soon as I pump some stamina into it

I would highly suggest, taming another high level Ptera, and breeding it with your Level 200 a few times.  Then store those eggs in an preserving bin or fridge. That way, when you try to steal Wyvern eggs, and fail (because nearly everyone does at least once)  you will have replacements that you can hatch for your dead dinos.

I would highly suggest, taming another high level Ptera, and breeding it with your Level 200 a few times.  Then store those eggs in an preserving bin or fridge. That way, when you try to steal Wyvern eggs, and fail (because nearly everyone does at least once)  you will have replacements that you can hatch for your dead dinos.
That's a good idea, I already lost one 250 ptera to wyverns lol

4 minutes ago, Auzy4554 said:
5 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

That's a good idea, I already lost one 250 ptera to wyverns lol

I always have a whole fridge or bin (depending on character advancement) filled with fertilized eggs from my tamed dinos, that I know will upset me/cause problems if they die.  SO I have Trike, Argy, Ptera, Quetz, Anky, Allo, Rex, Bronto, Dimorph eggs from multiple breedings.  Before I go out on a dangerous mission (Stealing eggs, fighting alphas, bosses) I make sure I have those replacement eggs already.  Saves so much time and resources should I lose one of them.

I always have a whole fridge or bin (depending on character advancement) filled with fertilized eggs from my tamed dinos, that I know will upset me/cause problems if they die.  SO I have Trike, Argy, Ptera, Quetz, Anky, Allo, Rex, Bronto, Dimorph eggs from multiple breedings.  Before I go out on a dangerous mission (Stealing eggs, fighting alphas, bosses) I make sure I have those replacement eggs already.  Saves so much time and resources should I lose one of them.

That's a smart idea. The only problem is I don't usually raise dinos because I don't have the time to sit by them and even if I do, they usually die while I'm asleep [emoji23]

for the love of all that is good, don't mutton tame! kibble or prime. mutton got nerfed, we tamed a 55 grif with mutton, came out on 65 and it lost MD, HP and Stam percentages.

kibble tamed a 145 grif, started on 6k health maxed out on 10.5k, Stam was 450 maxed out on 800, melee was 210 maxed out on 250 (all rough estimates)

its now 245 and stam is 1500, melee is 310 and carry is 540 all rough estimates

I could be wrong but there were big % leaps when levelling when kibble tames as apposed to the mutton tame.

i'll try and post images of the end results for both this evening if possible. I would say spend the time getting Allos for grifs

8 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

can confirm that you will probably die at least once on a wyvern egg run. died two time on a griffin, one a level 193 and the other a 245. first time i was fleeing from a wyvern and i misjudged my dive and ended up swooping into lava, second time the game lagged and put me, my friend, and my tame into lava. lost two mastercraft longneck rifles and an ascendant pick.

so yeah, ALWAYS BE PREPARED TO DIE LOL

4 minutes ago, Dustrider said:

The griffin will negate these two needs. An argy is a slug compared to the griffin, cant imagine exploring or drop hunting with an argy. :) 

Most griffins are pretty squishy at first, tend to have lower weights and don't offer saddle protection. Plus, I find griffins to be a total Pain in the Dilo when they are on follow. So hard to jump back on them.  Argies are much easier to jump on, or land.

But I do agree that the Griffin speed is great.

Just now, Aushegun said:

Most griffins are pretty squishy at first, tend to have lower weights and don't offer saddle protection. Plus, I find griffins to be a total Pain in the Dilo when they are on follow. So hard to jump back on them.  Argies are much easier to jump on, or land.

Yea Argy is still better for weight for sure. I like griffins for drop hunting because I can stay on the griffins back while I access the drop.

3 hours ago, Auzy4554 said:

So tomorrow I have made plans to set aside 8 hours for Ark! This is a big deal for me because of my busy schedule.  Any suggestions on what I should do/tame/grind/etc?  One thing i want to do for sure is to finally tame a griffin.  Anyways, leave some suggestions of what to do in that large amount of time and ill post here about what i end up doing.

Raise a baby and max imprint it. You won't have time to do it again.

32 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

i agree that griffins are horrible when it comes to following. and they are classified as a small dino, so they can only pick up small dino's and drop tiny poop. 

side-by-side with same levels, a griffin is usually better in every way in comparison to an argent. i've tamed a total of 5 and i could never go back to using an argent. griffin has such a massive AOE, it's damage output is higher, it is much faster, it can fit two riders, and i can one-shot wyverns and rexes with the dive attack. it might not have a saddle but it can take more shots than an argent can. it can hover side to side, to the back, and directly upwards, and it can sprint on the ground.

my advice? get an argent so you can tame a griffin and then feed the argent to your griffin :D

i agree that griffins are horrible when it comes to following. and they are classified as a small dino, so they can only pick up small dino's and drop tiny poop. 
side-by-side with same levels, a griffin is usually better in every way in comparison to an argent. i've tamed a total of 5 and i could never go back to using an argent. griffin has such a massive AOE, it's damage output is higher, it is much faster, it can fit two riders, and i can one-shot wyverns and rexes with the dive attack. it might not have a saddle but it can take more shots than an argent can. it can hover side to side, to the back, and directly upwards, and it can sprint on the ground.
my advice? get an argent so you can tame a griffin and then feed the argent to your griffin [emoji3]
Plus they look epic and majestic, while the argent looks like an overgrown raven lol

3 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

Is it a PS4 issue, but I only get the dive attack to work about 2 out of 10 times I try it.

The other times the Griffin just lands right next to intended target like a big dummy.

Sometimes if you glance off of the dino you are attacking or hit a tree/debris it will cancel the pounce. Also as a side note, you will do much more damage if you paw swipe right at the end of your dive. Seems to do much more damage than just pouncing alone.

4 hours ago, Auzy4554 said:

Lol... 8 hours a long time? I don't think I've ever had a session run less than 5 hours in Ark.

Griffin is a great idea, so it's anything else you want to accomplish... Just have fun! ?

Archived