Cave Needs

BladeChaser2516

I am looking into doing the caves for the first time. I've been playing since release on Xbox One but have never tried caves, bosses, etc. So what do you suggest for equipment and dinos for the caves (i know there are multiple one that would require different things like the swamp cave) but just in general. What are the best things to take into them?

If you are looking to do the caves on foot you can do most of them with a fairly simple kit. I would do full flak for most caves along with a pike, grapples, medical brews, lots of food and water most caves are either very cold or hot and stimulants. If you plan to do them mounted I recommend a saber if you are going solo dire wolves if multiple people are going.  For the swamp cave you should bring a frog.

2 minutes ago, Khayman said:

Tame a dire bear or saber tooth and go into a fairly easy cave to start with.  Its more fun on foot with friends, but a lot easier on a dino.  This will let you know what you can expect in caves.  Not sure which one is the "easiest" but there are a couple that are pretty easy on a dino.

The easiest cave is the hunter cave located at lat 80.2 lon 53.5 on the island.

For bosses, you will want 18 high level rexes with good health and melee (Easier to breed than to find).  To start with i would suggest something like 25k health and 500% melee.  Along with that you will want a Yutyrannus for the buff and a Daedon for healing.  This would require a minimum of 2 people to complete, one to ride the Yutyrannus and one to ride the Daedon.  For the brood mother. the Megatherium is better than rexes.

59 minutes ago, ReddDoc said:

Cave Needs: Steps
1. A cave that isn't blocked off by big tribes in PVP and PVE.

2. Go in

3. Go out

4. Realize your mistake for even wanting to go into a cave.

Fin

Yea that's how we were the first time too hence why we haven't tried again lol but we have a lot more experience now and wanna try again.  We've just done everything else and love the game just getting tired of starting over just to do the same stuff again. We've restarted 5 times including Center, Scorched, Rag, Prim+, and The Island multiple times.

Hello,

I try to give you a general description of cave. The cave system is large so try to find the map on ark.gamepedia.com as always try the cave first in singleplayer with leavemealone command this way you do not get lost.

Most caves have a choose right always or choose left always orientation.

Going in on a Baryonyx filled with fish meat steping back as you fight and progress slowly. Once you have the artifact and loot crates (loot crates respawn so take your time). You will find the way out even harder since the cave is so large that the entrance has reset all the dinos. Now there is a new feature that respawns the dinos closer to you than it should be. This might be a bug, but I think it is a change WC plan to make it even harder. Everyone wants the red loot crates. So be prepared that the way out might be harder fighting uphill so to say. All caves have a go down to get the artifact and go up to get out, this might also help in the orientation.

A Baryonyx is weak so you need to train using the Bary but once you get everything under control you will love the Baryonyx. You can carry it with the Argentavis.

As always expect to die so lots of sleeping bags outside the cave.

Now it was some time since I did a boss fight. Have 19 Rex on aggressive and one that you whistle attack target with this rex must be very high on health. First time I did a boss fight everything was lost so be prepared for that.  Best strategy is to stay calm but after the first boss fight you will realise that is impossible. You will get your own tricks as it should be to win, most important is to do the fights you win over and over so you learn what you can do when the fight gets harder and harder. Good Luck.

Regards,

Ariana

Strange, 

None of you mentioned to the OP the best caving mount. ... The Terror Bird.

1. Can bola them and tame them up with mutton so easy to get a really high level.

2. Can glide so no need for grapple hooks.

3. Naturally loses torpor very quickly so all those spiders, snakes, millipedes, aren't so scary

4. Can fit in places where wolves, sabercats, baryonyx, ect can't fit.

5. And they look hilarious.

34 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Strange, 

None of you mentioned to the OP the best caving mount. ... The Terror Bird.

1. Can bola them and tame them up with mutton so easy to get a really high level.

2. Can glide so no need for grapple hooks.

3. Naturally loses torpor very quickly so all those spiders, snakes, millipedes, aren't so scary

4. Can fit in places where wolves, sabercats, baryonyx, ect can't fit.

5. And they look hilarious.

Ill be running most the caves on SE with a terror bird. Its a very underrated mount for caves.

On the island the only cave that you really need to worry about is the swamp cave (also the snow cave although that's a different animal in general). All other caves can be easily solo'd using just a wolf/saber/frog/terror bird as the others have stated. You will be a little disappointed in most of the caves ease of clearing to be honest. However, I would NOT take good gear in them. Def don't take any apprentice + in them. The centipedes can wreck your gear in one shot and then you just wasted all the resources repairing. Just take in a few sets of hide or other cheap gear you have excess of. Focus on the centipedes when you see them to not lose as much gear and do your best to avoid their spit. 

Now for the swamp cave (actually is in redwoods, but still called swamp cave) make sure you have lots of med brews, at least 20 for each person going. Make at least 3 full sets of scuba for everyone going and take at least three pairs of ghillie gloves. Make at least 2 calien soup for everyone as well. 

With all that the cave really isn't too bad with a good bred dino to help. I wouldn't recommend soloing this cave until you have an absolute beast of a saber. Wolves work great in this cave, but only with multiple people. You need the mate/pack boosts for them to be stronger, and will still need to stop and fill up their health almost every hallway. With a very good saber and a really good saddle you could probably solo it, but it would probably be a bit sketchy. You can breed things in there (i.e. bear) and use those with better results, but a saber will work as well. We normally go in with a bred and imprinted saber to kill everything and a good bred and imprinted frog to kill the insects. Be ready to replace your gear quickly if a centipede hits you. If you run out of all gear Sprint back to the front spamming food and your medical brews. You won't have long to get out of there safely. 

Sorry for the wall of text, but had lots of interesting times in that cave so we go probably way over-prepared now, but it's worth it to get two red drops, a yellow, and a blue one. We have gotten some decent loot out of that cave. Good luck!

Any cave a bear can fit in is 1000x better than a saber in every single way. Don't know exactly which ones they can fit in but I do know they can fit in a few. But sabers can work they are too weak for my personal preference. But a high armor set, Pump shotgun, food, water, medical brews, sleeping bags, forgot the name but the food that raises and lowers your body temp to help battle the temperature. 

I did it with 2 high level wolves, one on follow for pack bonus. prim fur trousers, shoes, gloves and hat (Santa hat skin is a must). endure stew, health potions, antidote, asc pike, asc sword and bug repellent.

have wolves on neutral, run into anything, jump off the wolf, make everything has bug repellent active, and let them do their thing. poke anything that gets past in the eye and collect your bounty.

do it with sabers if you want and you get tonnes of chitin

Archived