What is the absolute minimum gear you would take into the Rag Ice Cave?

Jkyle37

So what my tribemate and i did in a successful run was to wear riot armor, (good flak works as well) lots of med brews, multiple mc pump shotties, and grapplng hooks. Those were the basics, and then i specialized in being the shield bearer while my tribemate brought several asc sniper rifles. I had 5 mc shields and even at the end i only had 1 remaining. Be careful when triggering deathworms and try to only do one at a time by leading them further back

2 minutes ago, ALBRIGAM0778 said:

So what my tribemate and i did in a successful run was to wear riot armor, (good flak works as well) lots of med brews, multiple mc pump shotties, and grapplng hooks. Those were the basics, and then i specialized in being the shield bearer while my tribemate brought several asc sniper rifles. I had 5 mc shields and even at the end i only had 1 remaining. Be careful when triggering deathworms and try to only do one at a time by leading them further back

This is the level of prep we are getting ready for as well! Anyone else find success with cheaper gear?

5 minutes ago, ALBRIGAM0778 said:

Our first good run we did it with grappling hooks and fur armor and skirted over most of the deathworms lol

Not sure how you did it with grappling hooks, they don't work in this cave...

We used good shotguns, good fur armor, bringing an otter is a huge plus to keep you from getting cold, also we took a dozen 200+ level vultures. Clearing the cave this was was a breeze.  Its also possible you could go with good flak armor and the otter? Never tried it...

The key to Ice Dungeon is not getting hit.  This is accomplished by using shields to absorb the damage.  I have solo'ed the cave (not the ice queen) with a minimum of a couple 9k metal shields and a 204% sword.  With that worked up to a 36k Riot Shield and 744% sword.  This is what I would recommend starting out with.

Solo without Ice Queen:

• ~20k durability of shields, with the weakest being at least 5k durability (Riot shields are best, but a good metal shield can work as well)
  • ~500 cold protection protection (armor is not critical since you are not getting hit) 
  • 200%+ Sword
  • 5 each of the soups
  • 25 medical brews

For this, you will need to get used to the timing of the attack on the ice worms.  You can get 2-3 hits in between each attack, and they have approximately 1800 hp.

Solo with Ice Queen:

• ~30k durability of shields, with the weakest being at least 15k durability that you will need for the ice queen
  • ~500 cold protection protection (armor is not critical since you are not getting hit)
  • 300%+ Sword
  • 5 each of the soups
  • 50 medical brews

For the ice queen, she will knock back.  You will need to sprint up to her after each attack and get 2-3 hits in.  Not sure on her health, I think its in the 30k range.

2+ without Ice Queen:

• ~15k Durability of Shields, with weakest being at least 5k durability
  • Primitive or better shotguns (The better the shotgun, the less shields you need)
  • Soups optional
  • Brew optional (Only needed if gun user gets hit)

Shield carrier stay in front and make sure that whoever is shooting the ice worms is back far enough to not get hit.  The ice worms have an AoE that is pretty big.  Also, ice worms will spawn quickly and if you are moving too slow they will come up behind the gun users.  The shield user can use a sword as well to speed it up, just don't get hit.

2+ with Ice Queen:

• ~25k Durability of Shields, with the weakest being 15k durability that you will need for the ice queen
  • Primitive or better shotguns (The better the shotgun, the less shields you need)
  • Soups optional
  • Brew optional (Only needed if gun user gets hit)

Same game play as without the ice queen.

Just now, Khayman said:

I have never used grappling hooks in this dungeon.  Also, if you do the ice queen, remember that you are not able to go back so make sure you have a flyer at the exit of the cave.  This is located at 31.33, 33.7 where the bridge is in front of the waterfall.

Yep we made the mistake of not putting a flyer at the exit.  It was quite a trek getting back to our base in Viking bay.  If we didn't have the vultures for protection I'm not sure we would have made it back with our loot!

• 1 month later...

No queen.

15k worth of shields, enough insulation/stew OR medbrews to not die of the cold, and 2 regular shotguns, both on th hot bar, the better damage, the less shield you need, get used to switching from shotgun to shield, you can easily get both shots from the shotgun and shield back out after blocking an attack from an ice worm, with a 200% shotgun you need 2/3 shots. Just make sure to reload after a kill.

Queen, same as above but with 30k shields. Use both shotguns, run away to switch shields/reload.

I get through on 60 shots, including the queen, with 212% damage on both shotguns.

However, as I am used to their spawns etc, and carry an extra set of gear, I now only use a shield when facing the queen, and a 218% pump action on the regular worms.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran this and used health brews, fria curry, lazarus chowder, shadow steak saute, and enduro stew, 2 sets of flak armor outside the gloves which were riot (230+ armor on head, chest, legs, 390 armor on hands and 175 armor on feet), 2 assault rifles (just in case, one was all I needed) 1000 rounds of ammo, and some prime jerky and a canteen.

I farmed 13 deathworms. Only hit one drop in that section. When my second set of armor was down to 80% I went to the Queen's chamber. I ran to the bathroom before she popped up and when I came back she had despawned so I am not sure if the 450 rounds I had left would have been enough to down her (199.1 dmg AR). 

Since I ran it solo I didn't take a shield though I do have a BP for a 10,000 durability riot shield for when my ally and tribe mate are on to run with. 

I have 500 hp, 180 stam, 460 weight, and 28 fortitude. I never lost much HP from getting hit by the worms as I used the health brews generously. 

I think we did our first run on official not even a week after release... With 4 people or so it is not that hard. Probably 3+ makes the first part easy.

Step one I'd say: You should go in by day, and not freeze in your armor. You can easily check that by flying into the outer part of the cave and then walk in a bit into the cave entrance. At first we had a mix of low tier Fur and Hide, that did not quite work - some people had the freezing status and slowly died, we messed up other things (bad tanking). So pick the best Armor you got for cold protection and try if you do not freeze on the outside. If you do, get more insulation. Try fria curry, wyvern milk or other soups if you want. Bring an otter. Farm the loot drops in the outer cavern until you got better fur.

Next, you need shields. The idea is that one person walks (!) in front of the others and tanks the worm. The others shoot the worms with shotguns, longnecks probably also works. More people and better gear just make the worm die faster and means less hits to the tanker, so fewer durability needed. You're going to need multiple shields. Due to their weight, pass them around and switch the tank role or exchange shields. Metal shields easily do the trick. Check the shield durability after each worm and exchange before it breaks. If you run out of durability, don't do the ice queen, run back out.

So, shields, direct burst damage weapons like shotguns, longneck with one or two stacks of ammo, some cocked meat, some healing brew, a couple of buddies and you're set. You absolutely do not need mastercraft gear. Not sure if primitive armor is enough against the cold, simply check. Greenisch fur did the trick as far as I remember, and you don't need an insane level either. We probably were in the level 50 to 60 range the first time. Not much fortitude for most people either.

What's also possible (or was, at least) is to breed a direbear and walk the baby inside, then let it grow inside of the cave and keep it there for your runs. Obviously not for the queen, but for the drops that works well, and to farm the worms for poly and so on.

a Shotgun is Key, you want to kill the Deathworms As Fast as Humanly possible. The assault rifle can kill them, but not before they get a couple hits in. Meanwhile, a good Shotgun, around 200-250% damage on a pump action shotgun should be able to 1 shot the male iceworms, though I imagine a decent double barrel shotgun should be just as effective sense they do more damage and you rarely see more than 2 at a time. Other than that, Med brews or custom food for heals, frai curry, Shadow Steak Salute would probably help, and ofcourse some decent fur armor to survive the cold.

As for the queen... The shotgun should work, though you will want to play it a bit safer. I have also speculated that you could throw atone of oil jars onto the mound where the queen would rise, light it ablaze, then agro the queen to cook her alive

On 10/16/2017 at 5:24 PM, ALBRIGAM0778 said:

Our first good run we did it with grappling hooks and fur armor and skirted over most of the deathworms lol

Are you playing on a private server? Grappling hooks are disabled on official for this reason. 

Minium gear is just a good shield and sword. 

If you are good, no armor, medical brews or anything else is required. Block with shield, attack, rinse repeat. Kite the boss from left to right, block attacks. win.

Archived