Egg Farm

MHouk40sw

Hello, Im relatively new to the game and I am still learning. I have begun an egg farm but I am not having much success. I have two pens, one with herbivores 2 therinz, 2 Trike, 2 Carbo, and a Dodo (havent taken the time to get another one just yet). I also have a carnivore pen with 2 Carno, 2 raptor, and 2 Dilo. I have a tough in there with food appropriate for the Type. I have them on wonder. I have gotten a couple of eggs from the Carno, Trikes, Dilo, and Carbo but thats it. Any suggestions. 

They don't need to be on wander to lay eggs. They have a 1% chance to last an egg every 17 min but someone needs to be in render range they whole time. If they're mate boosted they have a 2% chance. If you get an oviraptor they timer is reduced to 11ish min. Also worth noting is there is a call on how many eggs can be laid close to each other at the same time, but idk what the range or qty is on that cap.

they only have to be on wonder if your mating. also try having 1 male with multiple females mate boost ups egg production. get an oviraptor of either gender and put it with the other dinos make sure u weigh it down with wood or stone then put it on wonder. you'll notice a floating egg above your dinos heads they boost eggs even more. in my eggs farms i have 1 male and 3+ females depending on the frequency of eggs for example i have 3 female dodo with 1 male but have 5 carnos with 1 male because dodos will produce eggs much faster then a carno so you dont need as many. i currently have over 200 dodo eggs and only 67 carno eggs even though i have more carnos they dont lay eggs as often. the bigger the dino the less often they will lay an egg. 

10 hours ago, ArkRage said:

^ I get way more rex eggs than scorpion. Even with the ovi boost.

That's really about the only exception. for some reason the scorpion eggs are 1 of the hardest for me to get as well. my only guess for that would be once you get a high level rex you have one of the most powerful hunters in the game until you get a giga. But that's just my guess and opinion. i know once i get good rexes i really don't use much else for hunting unless i need a specific resource like chitin or pelt that i'll use my sabers and wolves for. 

7 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

I don't believe scorps respond to the ovi boost though, rexes do. (also OP just in case you didn't know the ovi raptor has to be on wander for the boost, its best to weigh it down)

You are correct. An oviraptor on wander could be right next to them but scorpions will still not have the egg symbol overhead. Only way to get a regular supply of their eggs is to tame a bunch of them.

edit: Well females obviously. Only need one male for the increased egg production through the mate boost.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

You are correct. An oviraptor on wander could be right next to them but scorpions will still not have the egg symbol overhead. Only way to get a regular supply of their eggs is to tame a bunch of them.

edit: Well females obviously. Only need one male for the increased egg production through the mate boost.

This should have been fixed:

v261.0

- Mantis and Scorpion now receive the Oviraptor egg laying buff.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:56 PM, Teddansen said:

I find I get the most eggs when I'm around my base.  So if you're just doing things around your base periodically check them and you should find eggs lots. 

You do get more when you're in render range. just like food consumption they eat less when you're away.

22 minutes ago, BladeChaser2516 said:

You do get more when you're in render range. just like food consumption they eat less when you're away.

This should not be the case anymore for food consumption, though I did not really pay attention since the update. Please correct me if I am wrong, that would be very interesting to know.

v259.0
- Fixed issue where stasis was reducing the food consumption of dinos.

9 minutes ago, Norlinri said:

This should not be the case anymore for food consumption, though I did not really pay attention since the update. Please correct me if I am wrong, that would be very interesting to know.

v259.0
- Fixed issue where stasis was reducing the food consumption of dinos.

I'm honestly not sure haven;t paid attention

On 10/15/2017 at 2:21 PM, MHouk40sw said:

Hello, Im relatively new to the game and I am still learning. I have begun an egg farm but I am not having much success. I have two pens, one with herbivores 2 therinz, 2 Trike, 2 Carbo, and a Dodo (havent taken the time to get another one just yet). I also have a carnivore pen with 2 Carno, 2 raptor, and 2 Dilo. I have a tough in there with food appropriate for the Type. I have them on wonder. I have gotten a couple of eggs from the Carno, Trikes, Dilo, and Carbo but thats it. Any suggestions. 

you're new and you have a therizino?

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Yes all dinos consume food at the same rate now, rendered in or not.

If I understand the mechanic correctly they do not consume any food until they are rendered and then instantly lost food value and health for the amount of time they were not rendered before they will consume any food. A slight difference, but explains why dinos starve as soon as you get on, and why babies starve even if they have food in their inventory.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

If I understand the mechanic correctly they do not consume any food until they are rendered and then instantly lost food value and health for the amount of time they were not rendered before they will consume any food. A slight difference, but explains why dinos starve as soon as you get on, and why babies starve even if they have food in their inventory.

That is correct.

Archived