Front Page Steam Reviews (A wake up call to the Devs)

Zeonx

12 hours ago, Shadex said:

Player doesn't like game.

Rather than stop playing game they make it their life's goal to make everyone else stop playing the game they are still playing. 

No one listens and continues to play game because they didn't agree with the first person's reasons. 

First person insists anyone that doesn't agree is dumb, blind, or a fanboi. Insists that any dev that doesn't make the changes they want is not listening to the "majority" of players. Meanwhile majority of players continues to play game.

Book of the Internet

Chapter 5, verse 7

I complain cause I used to love the game and maybe just maybe the devolepers will wake up and fix it.

I  can understand problems happen but so much is wrong in Ark today. No seriious company could defend it and would fix it right away. Dont forget we are paying customers.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this will be helpful, but for those of you who cannot understand people who are angry with the game but still play all the time maybe this will shed some light.

The way I see it the people so angry with this game are among the people who love it the most. We just want to have fun playing the game. When you love something as much as many of us love this game you can be very passionate when the developers do some things that make no sense to so many of us. For example:

1. The flyer nerf on PVE. What little communication we got said it was so people would use land dinos more? Really???? Many of us enjoyed the flying aspect of the game the way it was and that changed the way we had to play the game. It was not a small change, this was a major change to the core mechanic of the game. I quit the game for several months after that and still get super annoyed every time I get on a quetz. Then to add insult to injury they nerfed the speed on the land dinos shortly thereafter.

2. The constant flood of broken promises and flat out lies. Especially around the legacy cluster. I am not talking about missed deadlines or mistakes that are later patched, I am talking about when they promise one thing and then do something entirely different.

3. Constantly making bosses harder and, in many cases, impossible to do (apparently to please the people who do not play on official servers and want a challenge when they get their 10k element from defeating the brood mother on easy), but requiring boss battles and element to do every basic end game thing. Many of us believe this is directly to get people to purchase the new DLC... just like they made loot drops so much better on scorched so you had to buy it if you wanted any high tier stuff or wanted to get around the map easily after the flyer nerf.

4. The end of 2x breeding with no explanation or talk of future plans. Sure these were special events, but they made the game fun (Full disclosure, I raised 26 rexes and about 30 or 40 other dinos this weekend on official servers, so I do not need 2x, it just made the game more fun and less of a grind).

I personally enjoy the sandbox aspect of the game... I like it because it was, to me, a 3d version of terraria. I like progressing and building and improving. I do not enjoy the constant grinding so people who play on easy mode can have a challenge when they risk the rexes or therizinos they instantly tamed and, after breeding, spent 4 hours raising.

So many of us wonder "what in the heck were they thinking" because there is so little good communication. Perhaps it is because they were not thinking, but I think if they had a good PR person it would solve 90% of their problems. Let us know what you are planning Wild Card so we can plan accordingly!!!

***The following is only my opinion and should not be construed as me putting anyone down or bashing how you play the game... play the game the way that is fun for you.***

For the people who say "official servers are not for you" I say I consider playing on rates other than official to be cheating. Rates are set the way they are because that is the way the game is supposed to be played. If you want to play the game on easy mode that is your choice, and I do not want to take away from your enjoyment of the game. I only wish they would make the official rates and difficulty reasonable so people do not feel like they have to cheat to enjoy the game.

I have 3000 plus hours in early access. Havent played much at all since their official release. I defended them countless times, telling people that they would fix the game after they added all the base content like they said. Boy was I wrong...

They rushed the release, left most of the game breaking issues unfixed, and are now trying to sell us another dlc. Most of the people who I played early access with quit as well and the ones that didnt still refuse to buy Aberration. Ark had the potential to be the greatest game ever, but sadly even die hard fanboys like me are starting to realize just how poopty the devs are.

3 hours ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

1. The flyer nerf on PVE. What little communication we got said it was so people would use land dinos more? Really???? Many of us enjoyed the flying aspect of the game the way it was and that changed the way we had to play the game. It was not a small change, this was a major change to the core mechanic of the game. I quit the game for several months after that and still get super annoyed every time I get on a quetz. Then to add insult to injury they nerfed the speed on the land dinos shortly thereafter.

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. I own the game since it came out, but only really started playing 2-3 months ago ( 800+ hours already ). The flyers seem reasonably fast and with a high lvl bred argy i have 3k+ stamina ( while having 5k hp and 557% dmg ), which is enough to cover 1/2 of the map in a single flight. Is that not enough ? By reading on what was flying like before the nerf, i'd nerf it even more.

1 hour ago, shiny said:

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. I own the game since it came out, but only really started playing 2-3 months ago ( 800+ hours already ). The flyers seem reasonably fast and with a high lvl bred argy i have 3k+ stamina ( while having 5k hp and 557% dmg ), which is enough to cover 1/2 of the map in a single flight. Is that not enough ? By reading on what was flying like before the nerf, i'd nerf it even more.

The speed was nerfed. You used to be able to fly all over the map on your quetz the same way you can on a wyvern now. Quetzals now fly at half the speed of smell making them useful as kibble dinos, but not much more. This was a real blow for those of us who had outposts all over them map that we could no longer get to in a reasonable amount of time. Now almost no one uses the quetz.

On 10/14/2017 at 11:13 AM, Zeonx said:

Review 1: "I have played over 1300+ hours on Ark Survival Evolved.
After experiencing in full what the game has to offer.
I am very happy to see that the VAST MAJORITY who's played Ark are united on the same page and feel the same way about this game.
That general consensus being that this game had great potential but the developers has done nothing to help it's community in achieving what it's player base wanted."

Review 2: "The game is quite fun and for big parts well made, sad is though that the developers are doing their best to ruin it; especially since the official launch."

Review 3: "Glitches can set you back days, unstable, unreliable servers are constantly DDossed by rival tribes trying to raid you, or some other large tribe on your server, and possibly the "Killing Blow" for me is the lying from the devs."

Start responding to what the players want, and stop sucking so much at your job. MAKE TEST SERVERS FOR PATCHES. Test servers will prevent the need for so many little patches that cause players so many problems. @Jatheish

No game is perfect.  None!  Yes, I too wish for some changes, but also realize that those changes would negatively impact others and their own play style.  If you do not like the game anymore, simply quit and do something else.

I don't think the DEVS suck at their jobs.  Seem to be pretty successful to me.  Just saying.  The game is a hit.

More importantly, what point were you trying make?  I read it multiple times and don't really see what your complaining about other than you base must have just been toasted......

Note: I used paragraphs!

45 minutes ago, jlhanna2 said:

No game is perfect.  None!  Yes, I too wish for some changes, but also realize that those changes would negatively impact others and their own play style.  If you do not like the game anymore, simply quit and do something else.

We´ve played ARK from the Start of ea. In my friendlist, there were over 50 people playing ARK. Now... there is only one left, and he is only idle ingame cause he is running a private Server and payed it many month in advance.
And im 100% sure im not the only Person whose FL looks the same in terms of Ark.

And now... why is it so?

If you like real PvP, Ark is simply not the Game for you. With all that DDosing ( yeah Servers are DDosProtected now, hahaha good troll ) duping and hacking, cheating, exploiting going on.

And most of that you first notice after playing some time.

Hell yeah... it was really fun to play Ark in the beginning. All the glitches etc did not matter, cause hey its ea, theyll fix it.

But no... many of the gamebreaking Bugs, that are talked about since the beginning of ARK, are still ingame. And you guys wanna tell people the devs are listening?
With the official Release of Ark ( tbh its still a beta common ) We decided to give Ark a second or maybe third chance. We heared so much about fixes etc. But played for 3 Days and we realised under the map/Terrain bugging is still possible, Also the devs said that there is a "Deathzone" now.
So ok. We tried if the duping is fixed. hell no... its easier than before. Its even possible to xfer not obtainable objects...

To come to an end... All that you only really notice if you play the game a bit longer. Thats why there are negative reviews of players with way over 1k hrs. And if you dont respect em... believe me, there wont be a happy ending for Ark. What would be really sad, cause its a game of great potential.
ill continue reading the Forums etc and hope, that in 6-9 Month the game is what it can be.

Fingers crossed

3 hours ago, DeZiLL313 said:

I have 3000 plus hours in early access. Havent played much at all since their official release. I defended them countless times, telling people that they would fix the game after they added all the base content like they said. Boy was I wrong...

They rushed the release, left most of the game breaking issues unfixed, and are now trying to sell us another dlc. Most of the people who I played early access with quit as well and the ones that didnt still refuse to buy Aberration. Ark had the potential to be the greatest game ever, but sadly even die hard fanboys like me are starting to realize just how poopty the devs are.

100% agree

It would seem to most educated people that there are indeed certain persons who visit this forum and comment that most likely are paid by WC to try to control the damage to their reputation from some rather very honest and factual opinions. (No I'm not referring to the moderators) To try and silence the public opinion against their game and salvage what little remains of any positive reputation they may have. The fact is the game has spiraled so far down that fixing it has become an impossibility and so now they try to cover up their intentions to try and milk the crowd for as much money on the DLC and completely ignore any issues with the base game as they have continued to do for over two years 

The op had a point, and it was that the loudest reviews are looked at first by people looking to buy the game and gives the devs an idea on how well it's doing, but other people jumped on him for being toxic as soon as he put it up, saying that anything negative gets locked and deleted, which would be true if this was an EA forum, but MOST of the mods here seem pretty cool most of the time, so who's really toxic here? 

On to the topic at hand, most of the negative attitude towards WC is caused by their behavior in early access, such as lack of communication and broken promises and big nerfs meant only for pvp and delays and lack of tech support and griefing and buggy servers, that's alot of things causing friction between the devs and the community that needs to be addressed, now that the game has left beta and been officially released the devs should focus on undoing all/most of that friction and NOT be like EA, AKA the worst most corrupt blood sucking parasite of a publisher and dev company ever.

58 minutes ago, Mjsechrest said:

It would seem to most educated people that there are indeed certain persons who visit this forum and comment that most likely are paid by WC to try to control the damage to their reputation from some rather very honest and factual opinions. (No I'm not referring to the moderators) To try and silence the public opinion against their game and salvage what little remains of any positive reputation they may have. The fact is the game has spiraled so far down that fixing it has become an impossibility and so now they try to cover up their intentions to try and milk the crowd for as much money on the DLC and completely ignore any issues with the base game as they have continued to do for over two years 

100% Agree.

1 hour ago, Mjsechrest said:

...do you actually believe what you wrote here, or are you being sarcastic as a joke?

Also, sorry to anyone whose sensibilities were triggered by my brown-nosing comment.

25 minutes ago, Ugodzilla said:

Some Actions and Reactions on this forum, look that way. Or maybe not really smart. We´ll never know

Most intelligent people I know are extremely familiar with the Occam's Razor concept, and that alone would lead them to recognize that paying people to say the game is good wouldn't have any effect...especially on people as smart as you. 

I don't think the games horrible, yet I do think it has a lot of room for improvement. If it wasn't for unofficial servers then I would stop playing without a second thought, but to me unofficial servers are what's keeping the game alive to me, and many others. I'm not saying this is 100% of the case, but I'm saying from what I see. They do have a lot of small patches that can easily be annoying, and I do agree that a lot of the issues could simply be solved by doing a test server for a patch so people can detect issues before it's actually pushed through. One thing that I think they need to work on is compressing the files, because my ARK folder is 107 GB. That's insanely too much for a game, IMO. I've seen way more advanced games take up less space. The next major improvement they need to work on is optimization because the fps issue really gets annoying at times. However, I don't think I'll be buying any future DLC's until they start fixing some of the stuff that's broken in the game.

I love Ark, it's my favorite game and the one I play most (I don't play everyday and don't really consider myself a "gamer") and while there are a couple things that I wish would be "fixed" (mainly the tether when hosting a non-ded) I think the game has vastly improved since I've started playing.  If that damn tether was removed I would probably play every single day with my husband and a couple friends.

15 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

...do you actually believe what you wrote here, or are you being sarcastic as a joke?

Also, sorry to anyone whose sensibilities were triggered by my brown-nosing comment.

Maybe not paid by WC specifically to do this, but it is not out of the relm of possibility that one of the devs has an alt account they use as damage control.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, NathanAndDaddy said:

I don't know if this will be helpful, but for those of you who cannot understand people who are angry with the game but still play all the time maybe this will shed some light.

The way I see it the people so angry with this game are among the people who love it the most. We just want to have fun playing the game. When you love something as much as many of us love this game you can be very passionate when the developers do some things that make no sense to so many of us. For example:

2. The constant flood of broken promises and flat out lies. Especially around the legacy cluster. I am not talking about missed deadlines or mistakes that are later patched, I am talking about when they promise one thing and then do something entirely different.

3. Constantly making bosses harder and, in many cases, impossible to do (apparently to please the people who do not play on official servers and want a challenge when they get their 10k element from defeating the brood mother on easy), but requiring boss battles and element to do every basic end game thing. Many of us believe this is directly to get people to purchase the new DLC... just like they made loot drops so much better on scorched so you had to buy it if you wanted any high tier stuff or wanted to get around the map easily after the flyer nerf.

4. The end of 2x breeding with no explanation or talk of future plans. Sure these were special events, but they made the game fun (Full disclosure, I raised 26 rexes and about 30 or 40 other dinos this weekend on official servers, so I do not need 2x, it just made the game more fun and less of a grind).

I personally enjoy the sandbox aspect of the game... I like it because it was, to me, a 3d version of terraria. I like progressing and building and improving. I do not enjoy the constant grinding so people who play on easy mode can have a challenge when they risk the rexes or therizinos they instantly tamed and, after breeding, spent 4 hours raising.

So many of us wonder "what in the heck were they thinking" because there is so little good communication. Perhaps it is because they were not thinking, but I think if they had a good PR person it would solve 90% of their problems. Let us know what you are planning Wild Card so we can plan accordingly!!!

***The following is only my opinion and should not be construed as me putting anyone down or bashing how you play the game... play the game the way that is fun for you.***

For the people who say "official servers are not for you" I say I consider playing on rates other than official to be cheating. Rates are set the way they are because that is the way the game is supposed to be played. If you want to play the game on easy mode that is your choice, and I do not want to take away from your enjoyment of the game. I only wish they would make the official rates and difficulty reasonable so people do not feel like they have to cheat to enjoy the game.

There is a risk with constant negativity.  

I fell into this trap myself back at SWG.  SOE changed the game, just about in it's entirety with CU, NGE, and C6CD, 3 different times to fit the current producer's vision and ever trying to turn it into WoW to get their 10 mil subs.  And they seemed to change producers at every failure of the last one.  If you didn't play SWG, those changes that SOE did, make ARK developers look like VERY small tweaks around the edges.  They even had 1 change where you logged in and got a respect screen as your profession simply wasn't in the game any longer.

100s of thousands of players left the game and some even started sites to lead people away from the game.  At the time it all seemed the "right thing to do" even if you were still subed and still playing every day.  Then, in 2011, it all came to a head when TOR was about to come out (altho SOE and LA announced that BOTH could and would run concurrently) and it just wasn't worth it any longer, not for SOE and not for LA with all the past negativity running around the net.  The game closed, the servers shut down,  the detractors didn't feel all that vindicated - more nostalgic than anything, and everyone lost everything.

If WC is screwing up here and there, you bet - tell them about it so they can fix it.  I have and they've  actually took 1 of my suggestions here recently with adding back in the "My survivors" tab.  But, forum posts trying to run ev1 off, keep new players from the game, threads of "why are you buying the expansion when the game's so screwed up?" are at the least counter-productive.  

IE:  See Star Wars Galaxies.

1 hour ago, Esquire1980 said:

There is a risk with constant negativity.  

I fell into this trap myself back at SWG.  SOE changed the game, just about in it's entirety with CU, NGE, and C6CD, 3 different times to fit the current producer's vision and ever trying to turn it into WoW to get their 10 mil subs.  And they seemed to change producers at every failure of the last one.  If you didn't play SWG, those changes that SOE did, make ARK developers look like VERY small tweaks around the edges.  They even had 1 change where you logged in and got a respect screen as your profession simply wasn't in the game any longer.

100s of thousands of players left the game and some even started sites to lead people away from the game.  At the time it all seemed the "right thing to do" even if you were still subed and still playing every day.  Then, in 2011, it all came to a head when TOR was about to come out (altho SOE and LA announced that BOTH could and would run concurrently) and it just wasn't worth it any longer, not for SOE and not for LA with all the past negativity running around the net.  The game closed, the servers shut down,  the detractors didn't feel all that vindicated - more nostalgic than anything, and everyone lost everything.

If WC is screwing up here and there, you bet - tell them about it so they can fix it.  I have and they've  actually took 1 of my suggestions here recently with adding back in the "My survivors" tab.  But, forum posts trying to run ev1 off, keep new players from the game, threads of "why are you buying the expansion when the game's so screwed up?" are at the least counter-productive.  

IE:  See Star Wars Galaxies.

I just keep hoping they will hear us, start communicating with us, and quit lying to us. I love this game and want it to be successful, but just because other games suck more doesn't mean I should accept WC sucking. I want them to get better. They could really take a lesson from some of the good gaming companies out there like 505 games.

In Jat's statement about legacy he mentioned the developers really were not that close to the gamers and several reports are that they constantly take people away from communicating with the player base to work on other things.

After the legacy debacle I really do not trust anything they say. I spent 3 months farming for the new map... I had vaults full of metal and tek structures and then we get 1 server and no support. I spent over 100 hours preparing for something they knew was not coming, but were just to chicken to tell us. I already lost everything and had to start over.

This is not the first time they broke the bosses. Making them undoable but requiring the element to power so much end game stuff. What fun is it to progress to the end on the official way the game is meant to be played just so you can't use anything you acquired.

If they do not start communicating with us honestly then the game deserves to die. If they cannot properly balance lower tier bosses on official rates rather than balancing them for people who play the game on easy mode then the game deserves to die. It is not too late for them to change, and my posts are here in hopes that someone will hear them and communicate them do the devs. I literally get 10 to 20 people contacting me through xbox every single month thanking me for speaking out. I am not being negative, I am trying to keep the game alive.

They just hired someone who I hope will help them fix the problems they created.

In summary, if I saw someone driving at top speed toward a bridge I knew was going out I would not call them to tell them how nice their car was... I would call them in hopes I could get them to change the direction they are going. I want to buy DLC's, but refuse to do so until I can trust them again, and I am not the only one.

2 hours ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

Maybe not paid by WC specifically to do this, but it is not out of the relm of possibility that one of the devs has an alt account they use as damage control.

If damage control was the development teams goal it would be far simpler and more effective for them to ask the moderation team to shut down any threads or posts that are critical of them (this thread would be an example) or that personally attacked them (as many do).

The truth is the guidelines provided to us are exactly the opposite.  I have to admit that sometimes its hard to let a vicious post about a developer slide when if that exact same post were instead directed at a member of the player base (such as yourself) I would instantly pull it and issue a warning for a personal attack.  This would be a large part of the reason why you see so many critical or aggressive posts on this forum directed at the development team and not so much at other players... because we pull those posts directed at the community while letting the others stand.  Well, we let them stand as long as they don't break any of the other forum rules (such as excessive profanity, spamming, or obviously just trolling to anger the player base.)  We still have to keep it a clean forum for players of all ages to use.

Suffice to say that if some folks believe shill forum accounts are in use to defend the development team (and I'm not saying that you personally actually believe this to be true), I'm here to say that I find that HIGHLY unlikely and counter-intuitive to every communication I've ever had with them.  I don't know if my perspective matters to you, but I feel you are open minded enough to want to know.

1 minute ago, ranger1presents said:

If damage control was the development teams goal it would be far simpler and more effective for them to ask the moderation team to shut down any threads or posts that are critical of them (this thread would be an example) or that personally attacked them (as many do).

The truth is the guidelines provided to us are exactly the opposite.  I have to admit that sometimes its hard to let a vicious post about a developer slide when if that exact same post were instead directed at a member of the player base (such as yourself) I would instantly pull it and issue a warning for a personal attack.  This would be a large part of the reason why you see so many critical or aggressive posts on this forum directed at the development team and not so much at other players... because we pull those posts directed at the community while letting the others stand.  Well, we let them stand as long as they don't break any of the other forum rules (such as excessive profanity, spamming, or obviously just trolling to anger the player base.)  We still have to keep it a clean forum for players of all ages to use.

Suffice to say that if some folks believe shill forum accounts are in use to defend the development team (and I'm not say that you personally actually believe this to be true), I'm here to say that I find that HIGHLY unlikely and counter-intuitive to every communication I've ever had with them.  I don't know if my perspective matters to you, but I feel you are open minded enough to want to know.

I am inclined to agree with you, especially since they would have to break the terms of service (as I understand them) to set up an alt account. lol. I was just playing devils advocate. Thank you for being fair and honest.

On 14/10/2017 at 11:49 AM, Ganelon said:

I consider any negative review that starts with hours played over 1000 to be the product of over inflated entitlement and consumer narcissism. It is not possible to play a bad game over 1000 hours, unless you are threatened to do so over pain of death. To not recommend the game is the expression of personal and irrational spite, using the only avenue of 'power' you have.

And in doing so... you devalue your opinion and the legitimacy of these reviews.

Now... I expect this thread to be deleted. I've noticed of late all negative threads of THIS kind... specifically, those that use ad hominum attacks against the devs and WC... get deleted. I support this, because it makes these forums toxic and distracts from the actual enjoyment a player who plays more than 1000 hours clearly would have if he/she was not caught up in the unending poo fling. The lack of crap rants makes this place more enjoyable.

But I wanted to get my 2 cents in.

I would agree, but there is a but...

1000 hours in a game that spent 2 years in development is possible. It is possible because you tell devs what you would like, you hope they fix things. Then...the game releases and all the bugs and glitches and everything else you encountered during your 1000 hours adventure and had high hopes they would do something about...they have done nothing about. Yes, you get mad and yes you give a bad review.

I think it's silly that people care how long someone has played a game when judging the value of a review. If the review itself is well written and contains useful, and factual, information about the game then how does the amount of time matter? If some highly talented gamer or what have you blew through a good chunk of the game in twenty hours and then wrote a review a professional journalist would be proud of then why should it be discounted simply because the person didn't take so long. Or in the opposite scenario where the said talented gamer took their time and explored everything the game had to offer over several thousand hours?

1 hour ago, ranger1presents said:

I'd have to strongly disagree there. Companies that have gone and deleted any and all criticism seem to end up with the opposite of the desired effect. People would just move to areas outside of the company's control and then the negative posts/tweets/etc would balloon into a nightmare for their PR. Not to mention the fact that the removal of criticism would also add fuel to the fire. Electronic Arts is a good example of that as someone else already mentioned.

I'm not saying the people of Wildcard are actually using alt accounts as damage control since there's no real proof but it would be far better than that alternative at least for the company and its people.

Archived