Kibble Rework: Any updated information?

JetJaguar

Any ETA on when the entire rehaul to the kibble system may be coming? I had assumed the plan was to have it done prior to the games release. With massive egg farms now on live servers, crowded servers, and no new servers coming, can we get the overhaul to help with the tamed dino cap issues people are dealing with? Or at least a, "Hey guys, heres where things are at with the kibble rework"? Communication?

I personally would not expect the dino cap issue to be solved, even with a kibble rework. It might help, but nothing stops a player from taming as many dino's as they want, for whatever reason they want (like breeding projects, personal favorite dino and wants a horde of them, just because, etc. etc.).

Egg farms is only ONE of the reasons servers are at dino cap.

18 minutes ago, Ulta said:

I personally would not expect the dino cap issue to be solved, even with a kibble rework. It might help, but nothing stops a player from taming as many dino's as they want, for whatever reason they want (like breeding projects, personal favorite dino and wants a horde of them, just because, etc. etc.).

I am also anxiously awaiting the kibble rework and would love an update on the process. That said, I agree with Ulta in that the kibble rework will do nothing to solve the dino cap problem. Hoarding is going to happen no matter what. 

1 hour ago, Ulta said:

Except the tribe cap of 500 limits that.

2 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

Except the tribe cap of 500 limits that.

Work-aroundable though. Just make a new alt tribe with your alt. accounts, or have a tribemate make a new tribe and become allies =\

Plus 500 dino's is still a LOT of dino's. A kibble rework can help sure, but personally I wouldn't expect miracles to happen to the dino cap issue because of it. That's all I'm saying.

18 minutes ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Lol...there too busy with dlc to deal with current issues. And what's this tlc pass? Any information on it anywhere ?

I think this was the first mention of it which was posted over two years ago now.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/7/517141807568064310/

Here's another mention with actual details of the dino updates. From over a year ago. I included the specific quote below in case someone doesn't want to bother looking for it in the source material.

"Survivor, Katigura, asks, “Is there anything you guys can give/show/tell us about the older-dino pass?”

Sure! Here's a couple examples: Trikes will be given a skewer attack, Rex’s will be given a debuff flee-instilling roar, there will be Fish Meat, Dodo’s will be given the capability to be carried around by hand, and more!"

There are many ways to solve the dino cap issue, kibble is just one step on that road, some ideas:

1) Remove the need to have to tame so many instances of animals for breeding.  Create the concept of taking genetic samples (which is just a simple numeric data set) that can be "mixed" in a workstation instead of breeding 100's of animals.  This would remove the need for having lots of dino instances.  Obviously would need to follow similar rules to current taming, such as being knocked out.  Perhaps a similar amount of time as taming to get the sample.  Mixing the "DNA" would require a similar amount of time as breeding an animal, etc..   In the end you just need an egg that you can "inject" the DNA sample into to hatch the animal..

2) A Dino Store?  Currently we can upload dino's to the obilisk for 24hrs, this converts them to pure data, no instance on the map.   Perhaps a dino store that can be built that just converts the dino instances that are not imediately needed into just pure data saved on the server.  Again instances on the server reduced and therefore cap reduced.

3) Kibble rework, remove the need for the kibble farm.

Further, removing the massive amount of animals will help with lag on servers as well.

So we may have a month or two time window hopefully when devs would actually work on main game before they switch all their attention to 2018's DLC like they did for Abberation.

I don't hope for big and amazing changes in TLC. WC proofed after 2 years  they can't maintain and polish mechanics they just introduced. Usually they're abandoned as they were after a week or so from the release. "Lovely" Feature Creep

7 hours ago, Joanna said:

There are many ways to solve the dino cap issue, kibble is just one step on that road, some ideas:

1) Remove the need to have to tame so many instances of animals for breeding.  Create the concept of taking genetic samples (which is just a simple numeric data set) that can be "mixed" in a workstation instead of breeding 100's of animals.  This would remove the need for having lots of dino instances.  Obviously would need to follow similar rules to current taming, such as being knocked out.  Perhaps a similar amount of time as taming to get the sample.  Mixing the "DNA" would require a similar amount of time as breeding an animal, etc..   In the end you just need an egg that you can "inject" the DNA sample into to hatch the animal..

2) A Dino Store?  Currently we can upload dino's to the obilisk for 24hrs, this converts them to pure data, no instance on the map.   Perhaps a dino store that can be built that just converts the dino instances that are not imediately needed into just pure data saved on the server.  Again instances on the server reduced and therefore cap reduced.

3) Kibble rework, remove the need for the kibble farm.

Further, removing the massive amount of animals will help with lag on servers as well.

Not surprisingly, some of these ideas have been suggested as far back as late 2015... nothing implemented. At most, a vague comment from Jeremy I believe aluding to a potential "dino storage" type of thing on the Tek level of course. That was about it.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:45 PM, Ulta said:

May not be the solution to all dino problems, but for those who have played for hours and hours and who know what pain it is to daily feed 500 dinos...I sure would drop from 433 (today) to about 100 dinos tops if there was a way to eliminate kibble farms. 

^^ Kibble rework please, the only reason I have more dinos than I can use is because I need specific eggs for good tames. Period. That's a full-on contrivance and sure, in an alpha-level game that's fine to start with. But it has obvious and massive problems, like anyone who wants good tames for dinos they will *actually use in gameplay* is burdened with the time sink of an egg farm. Egg farms also require defense and maintenance, they consume server CPU/ memory and graphics resources, push the entire server against the tame limit, etc.

So this model sucks for several reasons and changes will have wide-spread benefits. Having dino-specific prime meat for kibble instead of dino-specific eggs is one way to fix it, it's way easier to go hunt a specific dino for kibble makings and you can also raise them should that be your playstyle.  But not everyone has to raise them because they'd have the option to just get the resources for a couple of kibble tames and be done with it, so everyone would be happy. 

Also herbis need to be able to use veggie-only kibble. Sweet Veggie Cake as a prime-meat alternative for tames would be great as well, some tame times are several friggin HOURS unless you have kibble. That's something that seriously needs to be fixed.  

Archived