Island Hard Snow Cave

JohnnyDeath

So since they've added Purlovia & Dire Bears, whats the best tactic to getting the Strong Artifact? 

We've tried doing it naked & running through, after a few hours of luring things out of the doorways and passages we've managed to get the artifact but never been able to get it out due to the amount of mobs in there now. We've took around 1k bullets and asc pumps, by the time we got halfway, the mobs already respawned in behind us. Was thinking of doing the raising bears, thylas and bringing them under the crawl space but now with the Purlovias taking you off your mount every 5 feet, Im not even sure if thats worth it. Anyone completed it since they've added the new mobs, and whats the best way to complete now?

Raising bears in there isn't going to help as much as you'd think, they get wrecked pretty hard. If you're man-moding it in nude, your best bet is to send one person into the artifact area first to aggro things and kite them around while the other grabs the artifact and books it out of there. A ghillie suit will help your grabber out a bit.

The hard snow cave is one of the few caves where your best bet is to go in with a bunch of folks if you can. If not, a bunch of grapple hooks and a good gun or compound bow make it a lot easier to clear rooms without getting facepunched to death. Hyenas, dimos, and vultures will also help, but it's a bit sketchy to shoot into a crowd of dinos when your dinos are around them.

They broke metal arrow recovery at about the same time they added the purlovia and polar bears to that cave. Our tribes last run we used (and didn't recover) aprox 3,000 metal arrows. along with 2 full sets of ascendant fur per person needing repair after the cave, the cost just isn't worth it. my advice is to just get your artifact of the strong from another map.

Our strategy for that cave is to have barricades made from stone door frames on stone fence foundations at strategic spots throughout the cave and we have 2 checkpoints with beds, first checkpoint has a smithy and a storage box with extra ammo and fur gear.

We (PvE Official Legacy) ran Snow Cave last weekend with a total of 6 people armed to the teeth with Flame Arrows, Rocket Launchers, Shotguns etc.

We also brought someone specifically assigned to the Dimorphodon swarm we took in, consisting of Dimos that were mostly ~3k HP and 500 % melee (most people were not in the same tribe but allied, that way the dimos weren't shot all the time).

From my experience, below the most important points:

• Essential: Shotgun (each person hat at least 200 ammo) + grappling hooks (many! we brought each about 30-40)
  • Our tactic mostly looked like this: one brave soul ran forward, grappled to the ceiling, aggroing most creatures in front of us. While the creatures are focused on that person, blow them up (Rocket Launchers work wonders if you have a clear shot, but grenades and shotguns are great here too).
  • Put down sleeping bags on designated respawn points that seem not that frequented with creatures to you and give the sleeping bag names so you can easily agree on where to respawn with the group/your cave partner.
  • You can bring fiber with you to craft sleeping bags on the go (harvest hide from corpses for the real survivalist feel), that way they don't take up that much weight.
  • If you can, bring a Tek Rifle: the knockback on that thing works wonders while the other guy(s) reload their shotguns/switch weapons/etc. We had 2 people with Tek rifles that also brought Tek Grenades to throw when the creatures were clumped up.
  • The Dimo swarm we used as a backup only (if the creatures came unexpectedly from behind/were respawning on us or if too many breached the frontlines) as they can be devastated by bears' AOE, especially with 'Attack This Target'-whistle being so wonky. Due to the fact that the Tek Rifle does splash damage on projectile impact and having only 1 dimo flapping around in front of you while you're shooting can thus kill you, we are considering not taking them the next time.
  • Make sure everyone coming with you grabs an artifact. We waited 40 minutes (10 min respawn timer for the Artifact of the Strong after the initial 2 you can grab), so everybody could get a hand on theirs.
  • On the way back, things may respawn on top of you - be prepared for that (this is where our dimo swarm was worth gold)!

I believe it's possible to do it with less people, however, a group seems good as the collective can take more ammo/spare weapons/spare armour.

In any case, it was an adventure for our alliance as a group and we had lots of fun beating the cave (even if we were a little overprepared).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Likki

16 hours ago, JohnnyDeath said:

So since they've added Purlovia & Dire Bears, whats the best tactic to getting the Strong Artifact? 

We've tried doing it naked & running through, after a few hours of luring things out of the doorways and passages we've managed to get the artifact but never been able to get it out due to the amount of mobs in there now. We've took around 1k bullets and asc pumps, by the time we got halfway, the mobs already respawned in behind us. Was thinking of doing the raising bears, thylas and bringing them under the crawl space but now with the Purlovias taking you off your mount every 5 feet, Im not even sure if thats worth it. Anyone completed it since they've added the new mobs, and whats the best way to complete now?

For the nude running did you make sure not to kite any animals into the water? They take damage in that water just like players do which causes them to die and therefore respawn.

3 hours ago, Vrallox said:

For the nude running did you make sure not to kite any animals into the water? They take damage in that water just like players do which causes them to die and therefore respawn.

Yeah I realized that later on, I finally was able to run in and get it. Mindwiped all into stam and speed & wasn't too hard after that. The Purlovia make this cave nearly impossible unless you have a group with a ton of resources to spend on killing, which also makes it harder since the Direbears and Yeti's have a lot of HP

On 10/14/2017 at 9:50 PM, Brayn said:

Heard hyena's in a 6 pack shred everything and heal to full when they eat a corpse.

Yeah, someone told me that if you take 20 bred vultures that it would clear it. They didn't make it through the door. The Hyena's may work but at the end of the day, running naked seems the easiest and quickest method. 

On 15/10/2017 at 2:50 AM, Brayn said:

Heard hyena's in a 6 pack shred everything and heal to full when they eat a corpse.

37 minutes ago, JohnnyDeath said:

Yeah, someone told me that if you take 20 bred vultures that it would clear it. They didn't make it through the door. The Hyena's may work but at the end of the day, running naked seems the easiest and quickest method. 

While a pack of 6 hyaenados are op and I can solo the swamp cave with them,  I unfortunately think it may be pushing it a bit in the snow cave. Havent tried it myself yet so you never know but I would inmagine that the direbears would make short work of the hyaenas and I dont think the hyaenadons can get full access to the cave especially towards the end where you need grapples for access.

Its taken us weeks of preperation but our small tribe of 3 now each have 2 rexes in there so we can either go it as a team or solo.

Unfortunately REXes are a tight fit and there is one section half way through the cave that they cannot pass.  To get around this we raised 2 sets of REXes, one for the first half, one for the 2nd.

See the attached image.  Red Star = REX hatch/storage, Red Hexagon = Too tight for REX.

IceCave_REX_Solo.jpg

We have done all the other caves on The Island and Ragnarok multiple times and consider ourself decent cave runners (not speed runners).

Did this with just 2 of us couple days ago without any tames.
Took almost 3 hours to get to the artifact and 2-3 minutes to go back (speedrunning). Died only once by a stupid mistake. I hate purlovias now.

Equipment for each person was was:

• 4 sets of full flak, each approx 400 in armor
  • 2 sets of ascendant fur, only pants and chest
  • Longneck 300% dmg, 400 bullets (run out in the artifact room) 
  • Primitive Rocket launcher, 20 rockets (bring atleast 60)
  • 200 medibrews (not needed that much)
  • Lazarus, Enduro and Fria curry, 20 each.
  • 60 food
  • 60 grappling hooks
  • 20 parachutes (craft on the go)
  • Pike 300% (not needed)

Not worth it with just 2 people, was fun tho :)
We killed literally everything (except fishes) until the artifact and came back with only grappling hooks without killing anything or maybe one thing if needed.

I would say its impossible without grappling hooks, they are the key and you can't have too many. Learn good how they work before you go.

I suggest speedrunning it, not naked, with soups and medibrews, kite enemies to water just before the artifact room like others have said.
If you are in tek you could spawn rex inside the cave without breeding it by building a Tek Transmitter inside, saw this on one pvp-stream on twitch couple days ago.

We did this also 1 year ago with 3 people and 3 breeded rexes (1st gen, very bad/average rexes), not leveled up of cource.
Rexes almost died many times (primitive saddle). If your rex drops in the water just before the artifact room you can't get it out without building a ramp or so. Didn't have any problem riding the rex inside the cave, the other post descibed a blocker, maybe it didn't exist at that moment (1 year ago).

For loot go to ragnarok jungle dungeon instead, you can speedrun that in just couple minutes (+ golem) when you first do it like 10 times normal way to learn it.

17 hours ago, Boubbin said:

Didn't have any problem riding the rex inside the cave, the other post descibed a blocker, maybe it didn't exist at that moment (1 year ago)

It only became an issue when they altered the REX hitbox size to no longer fit a normal dinosaur gateway.  Can't recall the release version but it was a couple of months ago now at least.

• 5 months later...

I thought I read somewhere that this cave would despawn tamed creatures if you left them inside?  Maybe that was in an older version, or maybe it only happens in singleplayer?

I've been trying to decide how to attempt this cave in singleplayer.  I suppose the advantage is that cave building is a thing that can happen in singleplayer.  Apparently nothing that lives in the cave is tameable, so as long as I avoid screwing up possible crate spawn points I could probably just build stone-and-metal-spike bunkers all the way down to the artifact room.  The part where the bunkers screw up the cave critter spawns would probably be a bonus.

On our last run we put a tek transmitter inside the cave and used a bred pair of thylaco's. can't believe we didn't think of this before!

used tek helmet and tek rifles to deal with the purlovia. I know this wont help people who don't have tek yet, but it was a "duh" moment for me i felt was worth sharing.

Hello,

As Wild Card remade the Snow cave I made time to play and give feedback in this forum. The input was read by Jat and clearly players are supposed to slowly work the cave. I need atleast 4 hours to work the snow cave. Smithy is needed to be able to do it, outside in PvE. The way to do it in PvP is obvious as stated in previous post.

Revards are many so it is not a waist of time and resources.

This is the hardest island cave. At least I think so.

If you bring tames be prepared to give them up.

Regards,

Ariana 

Spino can't get away from the first room so its not feasible to breed them inside the cave I just tested this in single player. It will also get trapped in the next room after beginning if you breed it there, and the one after. The very end of the cave seems to be good for spino but not worth it.

Theri can travel all the cave if you remove crystal occasionally, all the way from the start to the end and back.
The big water area before artifact room used to trap legacy rexes if you happen to fall inside, theri can get up with only a little bit of hugging the slopes. It can also "jump" over the water to take it all the way to the artifact room (didn't test to go inside, but c'mon that room is small enough to navigate without mount). You can veggie cake this dino also, prolly the best for this cave even if you have transmitter. You most likely want to have saddle with atleast 80 armor, will be difficult to solo with theri.

Already incubating Theri eggs for the run (dmg 49, health 41).
If there is something worth to tell i post it here.

On 4/4/2018 at 9:52 PM, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

As Wild Card remade the Snow cave I made time to play and give feedback in this forum. The input was read by Jat and clearly players are supposed to slowly work the cave. I need atleast 4 hours to work the snow cave. Smithy is needed to be able to do it, outside in PvE. The way to do it in PvP is obvious as stated in previous post.

Revards are many so it is not a waist of time and resources.

This is the hardest island cave. At least I think so.

If you bring tames be prepared to give them up.

Regards,

Ariana 

I also recall this de-spawn mechanic being mentioned somewhere but so far our server has been running for over a year, the REXes have been happily living in the cave for many months - just have to pop in and do a run to fill the troughs every few days.

On 2018-04-13 at 12:22 AM, MirageUK said:

I also recall this de-spawn mechanic being mentioned somewhere but so far our server has been running for over a year, the REXes have been happily living in the cave for many months - just have to pop in and do a run to fill the troughs every few days.

The only de-spawn is the auto decay of tamed creatures. There is also a hybernation that I call ARK stasis, meaning as a player loads the area tamed creatures continue to fight wild creatures.

What re-spawn mechanics there is of wild cave creatures is lowered in numbers and time. So that a player can die and return to a cave,  means already removed wild creatures do not respawn. I needed 8 hours at that time for the Island snow cave solo.

Regards,

Ariana 

Archived