Official Server Gathering Rates lol

Crows

I've always wondered about the logic behind the gathering rates when it comes to farming stone, wood, metal, raw meat, etc. I'll give you an example of a little test I've just done, using a wyvern (not imprinted to me) with 320% melee damage, even though none of that matters when it comes to logic I'm about to show.

Raw Meat Gains (Normal Official Server Rates)

• Rex: 54
  • Raptor: 29
  • Argy: 56
  • Parasaur: 38 
  • Stego: 44
  • Scorpion: 26
  • Phioma: 58
  • Sabertooth: 24
  • Bronto:  48
  • Diplo: 42

That's the amount of raw meat harvested with a wyvern. What confuses me, is why in the world do we harvest more meat from a PHIOMA than a BRONTO, Diplo and Rex while they're completely huge in comparison and would obviously have more meat on them? And look at that, an Argy apparently has more meat than a Dilpo and Bronto... I wonder where all of the Argy's meat is hidden? because it sure isn't anywhere near the same size as those other kind of dinos.

Trees

• 26 Wood from a tall, thick tree trunk, using a metal hatchet. Sure, I can use a chainsaw, a beaver, a Theri, but it's just funny how a tree that size yields barely any wood.

Don't get me started on those massive rocks you see which give you about 16-50 stone using a metal hatchet, then the little rocks next to it give similar/if not more.

I just mined a metal node (not the golden raw metal ones, the stoney-looking metal nodes) and got 10 Metal. Okay, maybe that was just that rock, it may have been previously hit by somebody? I mined another near it and that one gave me 18, using a 202% metal pickaxe*. Yes, again, I can use an Anky to get more, but it still makes me laugh how dependent this game is on dinos when most players who're new to Ark or new to a server, will spend a lot of time, if not all of their time progressing with tools. Especially on PvP servers where it's difficult to have the right tames for the job because of how hostile they are. 

It's this kind of logic which makes no sense to me even though it's not real, the rates are all messed up, and I believe if official PvP servers were to ever be successful with a nice flow between players gathering and taming more frequently with higher rates, instead of depending on bonus weekends, then the rates would need some drastic improvements.

9 minutes ago, l4m3r said:

With a Giga you gain a lot more Meat....

Even with a giga I'm sure you'd get similar results, more meat from a Phioma than a Bronto or Diplo, most likely. :$

1 hour ago, Bruvas78 said:

Thre grind is what it's about

Yes but on official PvP servers it has never made sense to me why the grind is the same as PvE servers, since it really slows down action and the flow of PvP because everyone has to grind for weeks/months to progress enough for actual fun PvP.

18 minutes ago, l4m3r said:

You know that Meat depends of the HP of a Mob? Means higer Bronto more meat then a low lvl Bronto... and its also for Phioma so!

(You can test this with OVIS we have 2k health ovis they give more then 500 raw mutton ....)

Yep but it's barely noticeable with the method I used. I killed 5 different Brontos all around 50-140 and they still give similar amounts of meat, but I just think it's weird how a Phioma can give more meat than a Bronto. Imagine it in a realistic way... it's crazy xD

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Crows said:

That's the amount of raw meat harvested with a wyvern. What confuses me, is why in the world do we harvest more meat from a PHIOMA than a BRONTO, Diplo and Rex while they're completely huge in comparison and would obviously have more meat on them?

Because being a good source of meat is one of the things about the phiomia. It sizable enough to have it be part of their dossier entry.

could it be to do with the ease of which you get those animals?

a phioma literally takes off into the distance when you hit it so tackling one of those on a fast predator means you then get the rewards?

the bronto does not drop that much meat but is that because they're a little easier to control when harvesting? the end reward being prime for taking on an animal who is larger and attacks back?

the Argy again will drop prime and meat in bigger quantities because they are a more difficult animal to harvest? just like trying to take on a pack of hyaenodon, they will drop more prime meat because you are taking on a pack with an alpha?

just some open thoughts really, I could be wrong

I wrap my head around it by not considering the amount as a total of the source... but as the 'usable' total of the resource.

A tree is a tree... it has a max 'potential', but the harvesting source determines the usable amount of the resource. Metal hatched gets more usable than stone hatchet. Chainsaw gets even more. Same with harvesting beasts.

So, yeah... a bronto clearly has more 'Meat' than other critts, but the species has only so much 'usable resource' i.e. 'stuff I can craft with'.

Would the inclusion of 'unusable junk' be helpful in this immersion? Sure. Would it be a whip to dump even more junk? Yep.

Do your own thing. Doesn't seem like an important distinction to get hung up on. YMMV.

Archived