Quetzal Catching

Shadex

So as quetzals will slide off of your platform once unconscious and a level 150 will take around 3 hours to tame I was curious. If you were to park a second quetzal with a platform underneath the first, when the first runs out of stamina and has to leave will the unconscious quetzal fall onto the second platform so that it does not fall all the way to the ground?

1 minute ago, DamanWeylin said:

I believe a Quetzal does not lose stamina when you are just standing on it. So once you have caught the Quetz dismount and let your Quetz hover there while you tame. Should be easy enough to verify in case I am wrong before attempting the tame.

On official this no longer works. Whilst the mere action of standing on the platform cause stamina drain, the best thing to do is park an argy on the quetz trap and hop on and off to allow stamina regen.

1 minute ago, KillaMrB said:

On official this no longer works. Whilst the mere action of standing on the platform cause stamina drain, the best thing to do is park an argy on the quetz trap and hop on and off to allow stamina regen.

Wait... is this a thing? If you just get off of the platform it will start regening stamina? NOICE!

Just now, Shadex said:

So on a PvE or private server you could leave quetzals parked high up around the map to be used as air bases. Put a feeding trough on it, a bed, a smithy and it would just sit there forever. But if you leave an argent parked on it, it would lose stamina. This is all correct?

Yep...as long nothing is interfering with the quetz it will hover indefinitly.

3 tricks, maybe 4, to air taming quetz after the flyer nerf:

1.  A 5 mushroom custom recipe made by a lvl 82 with all craft skill can be force fed to the quetz and it will slowly regain stam for like 10 minutes if it's not in sprint mode.

2.  Park an argie or other flyer on the platform and use that to hover so the quetz regens stam while hovering.

3.  You can take an Archapteryx with you.  Build a 3 wall high spot on the quetz and a ramp to reach it.  Jump off and use archa to glide around the quetz for a minute till it's full stam.

4.  NOT TESTED - It may be possible to just grapple the quetz or a structure on the platform and leap off the edge.  Dangle there for a minute and remount.  I feel like given the rules, it probably would work, but haven't tested.

I use stam food + flyer on platform.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, Shadex said:

So as quetzals will slide off of your platform once unconscious and a level 150 will take around 3 hours to tame I was curious. If you were to park a second quetzal with a platform underneath the first, when the first runs out of stamina and has to leave will the unconscious quetzal fall onto the second platform so that it does not fall all the way to the ground?

I just did this last night.  Used a quetz plat to make a trap.  Traped a 125, knocked it out and it sat on my platform until I moved the quetz.  So long as its on solid ceilings, not a hatchframe or just the saddle, it should not slide off when it's unconscious.  It only slides off if you move the quetz.  So we KO'd it, cleared all wilds under it and then dropped it to the ground, surrounded with spikes and tamed.

Also. Your tame quetz? It will try to land if you are not on it for more than a minute. I forget exact time. 

This drops the unconcious quetz.

Just use a 5 mushroom or 100 stimberry custom recipe and feed it to the quetz you are on. Much easier amd safer.

Also, only one 3X3 wall needed with 3X3 ceilings on top. Fill in the gaps on the sides with dino gates centered. 

Saves your piece count.

4 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

and also, all this about dangling from it, feeding it, this n that. Just place a bed on it n jump off n die. Its stam will have regenerated when you respawn haha. So simple to do too.

Nope. It will definitely try to land before you can spawn, and drop the tame.

Almost always.

Been pushed off by wiggling unconcious quetz while checking torpor before a few times. Feed it a high stam custom recipe. Everything else requires you to be off of the quetzals back for an indeterminate amount of time.

13 hours ago, Brayn said:

I just did this last night.  Used a quetz plat to make a trap.  Traped a 125, knocked it out and it sat on my platform until I moved the quetz.  So long as its on solid ceilings, not a hatchframe or just the saddle, it should not slide off when it's unconscious.  It only slides off if you move the quetz.  So we KO'd it, cleared all wilds under it and then dropped it to the ground, surrounded with spikes and tamed.

I hope you cleaned up your spikes. One of the biggest problem with official is littering structures..

4 hours ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

Nope. It will definitely try to land before you can spawn, and drop the tame.

Almost always.

Been pushed off by wiggling unconcious quetz while checking torpor before a few times. Feed it a high stam custom recipe. Everything else requires you to be off of the quetzals back for an indeterminate amount of time.

This.  Air taming with a super high stam quetz on a 2x weekend is probably a lot easier.  I imagine the hover stam on a quetz would last an hour.  Tested the other night, build 4 walls up from the trap, ladder and ceiling.  Jumped off, pulled chute and floated down to quetz and it had full stam.

5 hours ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

Also. Your tame quetz? It will try to land if you are not on it for more than a minute. I forget exact time. 

This drops the unconcious quetz.

Just use a 5 mushroom or 100 stimberry custom recipe and feed it to the quetz you are on. Much easier amd safer.

Also, only one 3X3 wall needed with 3X3 ceilings on top. Fill in the gaps on the sides with dino gates centered. 

Saves your piece count.

I use the following:

F = Foundation

C = Ceiling

W = Wall (assume they are going up from the nearby F or C, two high)

E= Empty

EWE

EWE

ECE

WWFFCWW

FFC

WWFFCWW

ECE

EWE

EWE

Off of each top wall, 1 ceiling going toward the quetz.

I just ram it into the wild quetz and dismount right away.  Works 100% of the time even using a 100% xbow to KO a 150 quetz and even though by looking at it I can't figure out why it works.

Pulled it from a video a while back.  They had it with the extra ceilings hanging off the left and the right.  When they changed building on quetz' I had to modify to have the ceilings hang front to back.  Blocks vision, but works.

3 hours ago, Coolermh said:

Its way easier to just board the front seat of a tapejara and then whistle it towards the quetz or even set it to attack the quetz so it auto follows then shoot at it from the front seat.  I catch quetz's solo all the time doing this.

Risk is that when it finally does decide to fall it drops right into a pack of dinos that eats it before you can even land. Taming in the air is a safer alternative when the quetzal platform is available.

Archived