PIPES omg they suck

XavierMerrick

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

I've actually been wondering lately if some of the fixes haven't been made yet because they're trying to work out how to (or if they can) make S+ part of the game. If they were able to do that, spending any time updating the pipes and cables now would be a massive waste of resources. (I know, should have been done already) At one point a while back they said they planned to try this, but there hasn't been an update since then. If that were the case, I'd imagine there might be some logistics/legal stuff to work through if they've decided to make user-created sponsored mod content part of the core game. Who knows...an update would be nice though.

As far as I know, they're tempted to copy paste some parts of S+ building system.  However, they said It wouldn't be easy to do so. After 2 years I can tell everything that if something is more complicated or offers better gameplay than adding shiny dinosaurs is always difficult for them. It makes me wonder how many skilled gameplay designers they have actually. All in all, S+ devs would have to give WC permission to use S+ assets. Even though S+ uses WC assets, S+ is still protected by intellectual property law and no one can use it without modder's permission. 

One of the joys of being on an unofficial server is that we have collision turned off. We are able to run pipes straight down through the ground and tap into the water under the map. As an admin, I plan on offering this as a service to all members on my servers.

I am going to flesh out a pricing structure and level requirement to be able to do it as a simulation of the work it takes to actually dig wells.

The end result is a much cleaner looking map due to not having pipes running all over the place and fewer structures which means fewer to load and fewer towards your cap.

6 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

As far as I know, they're tempted to copy paste some parts of S+ building system.  However, they said It wouldn't be easy to do so. After 2 years I can tell everything that if something is more complicated or offers better gameplay than adding shiny dinosaurs is always difficult for them. It makes me wonder how many skilled gameplay designers they have actually. All in all, S+ devs would have to give WC permission to use S+ assets. Even though S+ uses WC assets, S+ is still protected by intellectual property law and no one can use it without modder's permission. 

Wouldn't an agreement have been worked out when S+ became a sponsored mod?  Especially, if they wanted to use the mod as part of the official game.  I mean, they did effectively affiliate themselves with the developers of S+ when they announced the official sponsorship.

20 hours ago, Shadex said:

I support 100% the idea of the building pieces simply being powered and piped. I would like to see an interface similar to how trophy stands currently work. You place a foundation, wall or ceiling and then you can access its inventory via the radial menu. If you construct pipes or wires you can place them into the corresponding slot and viola you have a powered or piped piece. You would have to do this for each structure piece in sequence to get to where you want to place your tank/toilet/faucet whatever but once you do you can place it anywhere on the item and it would work. This would mean a couple things:

1. Less object geometry and you won't have to render all of the wires and pipes in addition to all the structural geometry. WIN EVERYONE!

2. Less unnecessary engrams. Why exactly do I need to make a 'vertical wire"? Why can't I just take any wire and turn it vertically?? Just have a wire engram. This is just pure logic.

3. More freedom in placement and design. No more taking hours to try and figure out some ridiculous piping system just to get an item to sit where you want. Less frustrating, more playing the game.

I really like this idea!  Especially as a Console peasant, who doesn't have Mods as an option, and less rendered structures means less lag I would think.

I prefer to build on pillars, that way I can run the plumbing and electrical under the house and to where I want it.
Yeah if you want the pipes to stick to the ground it looks pretty ***** stupid still cuz they just float above it and if you want them to go underground u have to ghost. And even that doesnt work so well

And the fact that everything in this game is a certain size, you cant, Like reduce it if something doesn't fit. E.g. ramps sometimes look stupid and u can't increase the size of them. If I was in charge of this game there would be SO many things I'd put on the to do list. The building mechanics are just stupid

Little update from my original post. While plumbing still sucks in this game, from no flex pipes to not having the pipes fall away like everything else does when you remove one from the chain, after a little breather and some thought i was able to make my system work. Honestly it came out better than i could have hoped. I learned early that plumbing backwards works best i just didn't want to have to run a new line to the water. I am playing on ragnarok and my house is on the cliff by the stone bridge high above the canyon on the ice lake side. i may upload some photos here if i get a chance. To be fair when one looks at my house the plumbing issue seems like a trivial problem. any who thanks for all of your comments i really appreciate them. 

On 10/12/2017 at 2:23 PM, LouSpowells said:

Would dynamic piping be nice to have? Definitely...but the OP can say that without pulling statements like "it can't be that hard" out of his berry hole. Implementing dynamic pipes that will automatically link up pre-existing piping networks to create a continuous system isn't easy. Even if the devs "just" changed water pipe scaling to match the width and height of wall/foundation/ceiling structures, it would be a formidable undertaking considering the currently existing pipes used on servers. 

Is it possible? Sure...but it isn't nearly as easy as you and the OP seem to think it is. No matter how you slice it, it's going to take a lot of work. So, once again:

It most certainly can be.

Hello, Louspowells. 

while I may be new here I am 1) not at all new to gaming and 2) not ignorant in the ways of programing. To say I am pulling a phrase out of my "berry hole" is down right insulting and just plain rude. Here is a rule of common courtesy that clearly your mother never taught you, If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all. I would appreciate it if you didn't use my post as a keyboard cowboy moment please and thank you. 

now to comment on the rest of your responses concerning my post, It honestly is not that hard to make a "flexible pipe" one who's boundaries are defined by where you connect both ends. Many games have this very mechanic for other such elements in their building processes. To create many different sizes of pipe is not hard as well it is simply as easy as taking a, for example, horizontal pipe and copy the code and adjust the length values. Its honestly as simple as changing a few numbers. 

To make the claim that it is hard for the devs really just shows how little you think of them already, while this game doesn't have the best graphics, or the most exciting gameplay at times i can over look the graphics a bit. However we have the capability to place objects either in freeform or snap depending on what your placing why not make those same commands avail. for piping and electrical. There are many games out there that are far more polished at this point than this game and allow you to do so much more. So yes the lack of options regarding electrical and plumbing are a disappointment for those of us looking to create builds that are clean and polished. 

now all that said, thank you for taking the time to read my post and using your brain power for a negative response, however your negativity is not welcome on this post and i would kindly ask you to move along. thank you have a nice day

1 hour ago, XavierMerrick said:

Hello, Louspowells. 

while I may be new here I am 1) not at all new to gaming and 2) not ignorant in the ways of programing. To say I am pulling a phrase out of my "berry hole" is down right insulting and just plain rude. Here is a rule of common courtesy that clearly your mother never taught you, If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all. I would appreciate it if you didn't use my post as a keyboard cowboy moment please and thank you. 

now to comment on the rest of your responses concerning my post, It honestly is not that hard to make a "flexible pipe" one who's boundaries are defined by where you connect both ends. Many games have this very mechanic for other such elements in their building processes. To create many different sizes of pipe is not hard as well it is simply as easy as taking a, for example, horizontal pipe and copy the code and adjust the length values. Its honestly as simple as changing a few numbers. 

To make the claim that it is hard for the devs really just shows how little you think of them already, while this game doesn't have the best graphics, or the most exciting gameplay at times i can over look the graphics a bit. However we have the capability to place objects either in freeform or snap depending on what your placing why not make those same commands avail. for piping and electrical. There are many games out there that are far more polished at this point than this game and allow you to do so much more. So yes the lack of options regarding electrical and plumbing are a disappointment for those of us looking to create builds that are clean and polished. 

now all that said, thank you for taking the time to read my post and using your brain power for a negative response, however your negativity is not welcome on this post and i would kindly ask you to move along. thank you have a nice day

I've already addressed all the "points" you made in your above post previously in the thread, feel free to peruse the past two pages and consider my previous statements on the topic a rebuttal.

Until then, spare me the Bambi quotes. If you don't want people to put their two cents into a discussion you create, don't create a discussion. 

Archived