PIPES omg they suck

XavierMerrick

I hope this gets to the devs somehow and I'm sure this has been posted before, but the plumbing in the game SUCKS! I build this beautiful home and am able to hide my electrical but there is no way to make the plumbing look nice or work properly! we need smaller pipes flex pipes or even the capability to freeform place the pipes so we can connect multiple runs that were placed after the initial plumbing was put in. please devs a flex pipe can't be that hard to do to connect one pipe that is too close/far to connect but one pipe is too long or short or just off the level of the pipe you want to connect! BTW love the game

Sounds like you want a water hose, not a pipe :P
And yea, I do agree, I personally wish they had more pipe sizes to better customize our needs and not these abnormal length pipes we have now, for both plumbing and electrical.

A good method is to place pipes first where you want them or need them, then work your way to the water.

This is my personal preference when I place pipes... works good and can hide them in walls. Though after they sit long enough they start to refuse new things from overlapping.
F6DBCC6C19177000AD12424B6639DD4521FA1BF7

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, XavierMerrick said:

I hope this gets to the devs somehow and I'm sure this has been posted before, but the plumbing in the game SUCKS! I build this beautiful home and am able to hide my electrical but there is no way to make the plumbing look nice or work properly! we need smaller pipes flex pipes or even the capability to freeform place the pipes so we can connect multiple runs that were placed after the initial plumbing was put in. please devs a flex pipe can't be that hard to do to connect one pipe that is too close/far to connect but one pipe is too long or short or just off the level of the pipe you want to connect! BTW love the game

In my personal opinion, the inclusion of toilets have helped greatly with adjusting pipe placement.

Easy fix (however a large task):
Change the blueprint of structures to include "watered" & "powered"

If an intake is connected to a structure then the structure is considered to be "watered" and all other connected structures are also considered to be "watered" allowing you to attach any irrigation object to then have water flow into them, this means you could just place taps on to a foundation/ceiling/wall and it will have a solid water connection. Give the structures a 9 point snap reference (sides and centers).

Also whilst we're add it could we please have the same "snap points" become a choice for when placing non-snapping objects like crop plots smithys boxes etc 

5 hours ago, XavierMerrick said:

You don't need irrigation for plant x but it needs to be raining when you're about to put it in the croplot. 

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, [EG] Comdriver W31 said:

Structures+ have similar mechanics

D3CD761AA07B6A20653C7301BACA0E942D867E95

once WC said they have plans to add this mod to core game so lets hope they'll do it soon

Wildcard have never said they have plans to add S+ to the core game. S+ is currently part of the sponsored mod program, but that is as far as it goes currently. There's no guarantee that it will be incorporated in to the core game. Sure they know S+ is extremely popular, but as far as them saying they have plans to add it, that's not the case.

1 hour ago, GP said:

Wildcard have never said they have plans to add S+ to the core game. S+ is currently part of the sponsored mod program, but that is as far as it goes currently. There's no guarantee that it will be incorporated in to the core game. Sure they know S+ is extremely popular, but as far as them saying they have plans to add it, that's not the case.

Whilst that's sort of technically true, they have gone a bit further than that publically...

We’re investing the possibility of including Structures+ as an officially integrated feature -- beyond an Officially Supported Mod, directly into the core game itself. No promises yet though, it depends on how much of a clean implementation it proves to be.

I support 100% the idea of the building pieces simply being powered and piped. I would like to see an interface similar to how trophy stands currently work. You place a foundation, wall or ceiling and then you can access its inventory via the radial menu. If you construct pipes or wires you can place them into the corresponding slot and viola you have a powered or piped piece. You would have to do this for each structure piece in sequence to get to where you want to place your tank/toilet/faucet whatever but once you do you can place it anywhere on the item and it would work. This would mean a couple things:

1. Less object geometry and you won't have to render all of the wires and pipes in addition to all the structural geometry. WIN EVERYONE!

2. Less unnecessary engrams. Why exactly do I need to make a 'vertical wire"? Why can't I just take any wire and turn it vertically?? Just have a wire engram. This is just pure logic.

3. More freedom in placement and design. No more taking hours to try and figure out some ridiculous piping system just to get an item to sit where you want. Less frustrating, more playing the game.

9 hours ago, Gelantious said:

S+ has flexible pipes and wires.

Can also hide them completely, or as Comdriver mention, integrate it into the buildings themselves.

Would dynamic piping be nice to have? Definitely...but the OP can say that without pulling statements like "it can't be that hard" out of his berry hole. Implementing dynamic pipes that will automatically link up pre-existing piping networks to create a continuous system isn't easy. Even if the devs "just" changed water pipe scaling to match the width and height of wall/foundation/ceiling structures, it would be a formidable undertaking considering the currently existing pipes used on servers. 

Is it possible? Sure...but it isn't nearly as easy as you and the OP seem to think it is. No matter how you slice it, it's going to take a lot of work. So, once again:

18 hours ago, XavierMerrick said:

please devs a flex pipe can't be that hard to do

It most certainly can be.

8 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Would dynamic piping be nice to have? Definitely...but the OP can say that without pulling statements like "it can't be that hard" out of his berry hole. Implementing dynamic pipes that will automatically link up pre-existing piping networks to create a continuous system isn't easy. Even if the devs "just" changed water pipe scaling to match the width and height of wall/foundation/ceiling structures, it would be a formidable undertaking considering the currently existing pipes used on servers. 

Is it possible? Sure...but it isn't nearly as easy as you and the OP seem to think it is. No matter how you slice it, it's going to take a lot of work. So, once again:

It's really, really, easy actually.

17 hours ago, Cataclisto said:

And yea, I do agree, I personally wish they had more pipe sizes to better customize our needs and not these abnormal length pipes we have now, for both plumbing and electrical.

A good method is to place pipes first where you want them or need them, then work your way to the water.

This is my personal preference when I place pipes... works good and can hide them in walls. Though after they sit long enough they start to refuse new things from overlapping.
F6DBCC6C19177000AD12424B6639DD4521FA1BF7

Now that is some satisfying wire placement.

Just now, paulpot said:

It's really, really, easy actually.

Your "It's really, really, easy actually." comment is no different than the people who take the car to the auto shop and say, "I don't understand why it's going to cost $1100, I checked online and a head gasket only costs $30." If you only think about a task in the scope of the end result, everything sounds "really, really, easy actually." It's my biggest pet peeve about many of the posters on this and other Ark forums (or any video game forum for that matter)....the "I don't understand why Wildcard doesn't just do ___________. It's easy." People think it's easy because they don't understand all of the background stuff that must happen for that "really, really, easy" solution to be implemented.

32 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Your "It's really, really, easy actually." comment is no different than the people who take the car to the auto shop and say, "I don't understand why it's going to cost $1100, I checked online and a head gasket only costs $30." If you only think about a task in the scope of the end result, everything sounds "really, really, easy actually." It's my biggest pet peeve about many of the posters on this and other Ark forums (or any video game forum for that matter)....the "I don't understand why Wildcard doesn't just do ___________. It's easy." People think it's easy because they don't understand all of the background stuff that must happen for that "really, really, easy" solution to be implemented.

You're a forum warrior, I have been programming video games 25 years, including 8 years working for Rockstar. 

18 hours ago, Cataclisto said:

Just so you know quite a bit of newer plumbing is no longer done with rigid PVC pipes.  Plumbers now use PEX which is a flexible pipe resistant to hot and cold temperatures.  It is not a garden hose.

19 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

35 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

I see you post on quite a few topics.  All you do is point out how complicated things can be to accomplish.  Your opinions and comments that follow this line of thinking add absolutely nothing to the conversation.  Especially, with this particular topic.  Many realize that creating a game as complicated as ARK is not a cake walk.  I do admit that there are some ignorant players that believe installing patches and fixing bugs is as easy as snapping your fingers.

WC has had years to address many of the issues with the game.  Players have been told since 2015 that the pipes currently being in use were just place holders.  They were supposed to have been fixed by 2016.  The game should not have even left EA without such a fundamental structure being fixed.  The fact that they released a toilet that connects to these rubbish structures is just laughable.  There is no longer time for excuses.  This is not early access.  There are sponsored mods for them to learn from.  They have assets at their disposal that have already created fixes.  They have educated and experienced developers.  The game has been officially released whether it is ready or not.

With all of this in mind.  The people that say that a fix of this nature should be easy are correct.  After 3 years of development, on pipes that have already been fixed using the mod structures+, there is absolutely no excuse.

We do not need more new content until what we have has been fixed.  People may be psyched for all the wonderful new releases, but the enthusiasm is almost always short lived.

21 hours ago, XavierMerrick said:

Secret to ARK plumbing is to start at the end, not the intake.  Place your pipes within your base and then get it to go out to the intake.

5 hours ago, paulpot said:

You're a forum warrior, I have been programming video games 25 years, including 8 years working for Rockstar. 

Yes. I know you're a programmer, which is why I was surprised at your response. I am aware that you're more than qualified to make an assessment on how long writing or changing the code for dynamic pipes would take. For you, I'd imagine it's pretty easy...but we both know that's not the hard part of implementing a change in a game. The hard part is everything else besides the change in coding: The process. I don't program for a living. I never had the patience for it. I'm the annoying cloaca that gets pulled in to set up the change control policies, the rollout/implementation plans, the needs assessments...I'm butthole everyone hates for making their jobs more tedious with documentation and guildelines, the guy who purposely makes it hard for a quick little change in a massive project to be quick or little.

I'd be extremely surprised to hear that you aren't familiar with the process, especially if any of those 8 years are out West. (At least I'm assuming West based on when you post) Unless things have changed pretty drastically at Rockstar recently and there are a bunch of programmers and testers sitting around with their thumbs up their butts waiting for something to do, implementing a spur of the moment change that was suggested by some guy on the forums who got the idea from a mod developer isn't easy. It's easy in theory when someone's trying to make a point, but the approval process for making even small changes to an already-released online game is tedious at best, a massive pain in the butt at worst.

If Wildcard had absolutely nothing whatsoever on their plates, then yeah, it would be a quick and easy change in a perfect world...but you and I both know that's never the case. Do water pipes in Ark need to be changed and improved? Yes. Totally. Is it as easy as the OP described it? No. Obviously not.

7 hours ago, Cripling said:

I see you post on quite a few topics.  All you do is point out how complicated things can be to accomplish. 

You are correct. I do that more than my fair share. It's no excuse, but I do it because folks who attempt to justify the vitriol in their demands by exaggerating the simplicity of the solution really grind my gears. Hopefully among reading through those topics you've also noticed I've got as many criticisms of Wildcard's decisions as I do of grown men who throw tempter tantrums on the internet. There are a lot of folks (including myself) with a lot of legitimate complaints about the development process and release state of Ark, but there are a lot of other folks whose expectations are always just high enough to guarantee failure. 

Many realize that creating a game as complicated as ARK is not a cake walk.  I do admit that there are some ignorant players that believe installing patches and fixing bugs is as easy as snapping your fingers.

Your opinions and comments that follow this line of thinking add absolutely nothing to the conversation.  Especially, with this particular topic. 

There are more than some, and in a lot of cases they seem to show up thinking that this one little fix will be really easy and really fast to fix...then the whole thread turns into a tizzy about how devs never fix anything they should stop making new stuff until the game is perfect.

Do I have to respond and give my two cents in? Nope. I could very well just keep my mouth shut and not say anything at all, but that kind of negates the purpose of a discussion forum. The way I see it, at worst case I'm adding nothing to a thread that's going nowhere.

WC has had years to address many of the issues with the game.  Players have been told since 2015 that the pipes currently being in use were just place holders.  They were supposed to have been fixed by 2016.  The game should not have even left EA without such a fundamental structure being fixed.  The fact that they released a toilet that connects to these rubbish structures is just laughable.  There is no longer time for excuses.  This is not early access.  There are sponsored mods for them to learn from.  They have assets at their disposal that have already created fixes.  They have educated and experienced developers.  The game has been officially released whether it is ready or not.

I agree with you, completely. With that agreement, I also try not to focus on the shoulda, coulda, woulda's. There are a lot of things that should have been done already, but aren't. Pipes should been completed prior to release, but the kibble rework also should have been completed prior to the release. Could it be "easy" to fix the plumbing if they made it their top priority? Probably...but it's highly unlikely that's their top priority. Again, I agree that these things should have been done already, but fixing the plumbing isn't going to be easy considering what they'd have to drop in priority to accomplish it. 

With all of this in mind.  The people that say that a fix of this nature should be easy are correct.  After 3 years of development, on pipes that have already been fixed using the mod structures+, there is absolutely no excuse.

I've actually been wondering lately if some of the fixes haven't been made yet because they're trying to work out how to (or if they can) make S+ part of the game. If they were able to do that, spending any time updating the pipes and cables now would be a massive waste of resources. (I know, should have been done already) At one point a while back they said they planned to try this, but there hasn't been an update since then. If that were the case, I'd imagine there might be some logistics/legal stuff to work through if they've decided to make user-created sponsored mod content part of the core game. Who knows...an update would be nice though.

Archived