Hey, so after reading another thread about solo or small tribes in PvP I got to thinking about talking in globe chat. 

I've been playing basically just that since the beginning and it was my thinking that if you were on globe chat talking all the time it would just bring attention to you and your tribe.. negative attention that is. 

It works for the most part but I always no matter what I do end up re-building my base. 

Lately I've been thinking that if I were to be more talkative in the server it might stop an attack. Not to the point where it's annoying but just being a part of what's going on. Wether it's trading or just answering questions whatever. 

I think someone is less likely to offend another someone they've had positive interactions with.... Or is everyone just a war monger lol

Anywho I'd love to hear some other opinions..  

"Oh, that's the guy who _________" <--That's what you want folks to think when they roll up to your base.

Become friendly in chat with folks on your server. Chat them up, but don't call for help when you're being raided. If you have a somewhat friendly rapport with others on your server, just give a shout in global if you're being raided like, "There is a raid in area of xx/xx. Stay away if you don't want to be part of a fight." Courteous moves like this will make your name more well known so if another gentlemanly tribe stumbles across your base you increase the likelihood of them not raiding you because they don't know who you are. 

This won't prevent tribes from raiding you anyway, they'll just know who they're raiding. The thing I've found that best helps to keep a good reputation on a server is to just be consistently chill, even when you're raiding someone else's base. (aka: be a gentleman in victory and defeat) Announce good dinos over chat when you see them if you don't plan on taming them. (So long as others aren't in the process of taming it already) If you come across someone who needs a quick hand (trying to get back to a body/backpack), give them a hand. Little things like that will give you a reputation of being an alright guy. Some take this as a sign of weakness, so you'll want to have epic defenses and trolly bases to make your base harder to raid. If you're a good guy and you have a base that's a pain in the ass to raid, you'll get raided less and in some cases you might even get aid from other tribes.

Again, none of this will prevent anything, but in many cases it will make tribe think "Oh, that's the guy who _________" before they raid you.

Eh.  If you haven't spoken directly to the Alpha yet you should probably stay out of general chat.  After the Alpha's given you the OK to keep building you can participate in convos... but even then only somewhat.  Call out high lvl rare dinos, or better yet send the alpha a private message about them first.  It's stupid easy to get into an argument in chat or to think everyone else is laughing when really they are laughing at you.

i was out doing whatever and got a message one of my dinos died so a typed (rixta ya $%&^) and his reply was sorry lol, ended up meating him and played in a tribe for a while. hes a kl guy

a think talking in chat it good, get the banter & jokes out. dont take things to seriously and try play a fun game. you'll do well

• Volunteer Moderator

Depends are you a good talker or bad talker. For instance, if you a generally nice person in chat you should normally see little to no mistreatment in PVP more than you already do. If you go off and insult people and make them mad of course they will target you. It's all about your choices you make in chat.

Talk occasionally and always in a friendly manner. Don't be one of the people whining in chat about this and that, and definitely don't big yourself up, or make threats it's sure to get you wiped by a bigger tribe.

but yes, be civil, talk occasionally, give gps of high lol wilds and try to stay out of anything slightly political.

It depends on the strategy you are trying to adopt. For us since we have a farming tribe we always make sure we are extremely polite/friendly to everyone on the server. We want to give off the impression that we are a bunch of PVE players that just here to farm and base build. We try to be as unthreatening as can be.

At the same time our raid tribe adopts an entirely different approach. It is entirely prohibited to say a single thing ever in global even if you have done some fluke shot and killed someone miles away. I've been raiding for nearly 2 years and I've never said a thing. If you join my crew and you say something in global chat that's an instant kick. The reasons for this are many but there are 3 main ones.

The first one is fairly obvious. By typing in global chat you reveal a lot of sensitive data. Not only player name but steam name and tribe name and on top of that your basically announcing to the entire server that your online and playing on that server. This last point is critical because if you've just joined a server to raid your blowing your element of surprise. Any tribe with half a brain that players on their regularly will be suspicious of a sudden influx of new players.

The second is discipline. People that type in global during a raid can be easily distracted from the task at hand. Its very easy for the opposition to say something to try and get a response and therefore cause you to lose concentration. Not only that but when you are sitting there typing back your not doing your job, you can be ambushed or fail to notice what is going on.

The third reason is entirely psychological. When we raid we like it to be a mystery. Everything dies, the base the dinos their players and they don't why or who we are. You raid the same tribe again a week later and then again a week later after that and fear sets in. They keep dieing and they don't know why and they don't know to who. Soon enough you create a reputation on that server, just being seen near a base is enough to cause alarm. This is very effective especially when you on a server that has large alpha/mega tribe that guarantees to protect everyone and you go around slaughtering them and their allies with ease on a regular basis and they have nothing to go on. It creates quite a panic.

11 hours ago, Brayn said:

Eh.  If you haven't spoken directly to the Alpha yet you should probably stay out of general chat.  After the Alpha's given you the OK to keep building you can participate in convos... but even then only somewhat.  Call out high lvl rare dinos, or better yet send the alpha a private message about them first.  It's stupid easy to get into an argument in chat or to think everyone else is laughing when really they are laughing at you.

Sorry I dont fully agree with this. There are good and bad Alphas. 

Even if you asked politely to be allowed to chat, setup base etc and be given a duration of protection just to get a start up - some Alphas wont and dont care for your efforts.

Each PvP server, players, Alphas and situations differ vastly and you can only attempt to play your game in any way you feel.

Take one step at a time and see how you 'feel' you are doing in relation to the rest of the server and whether you are accepted or not. The thing with PvP is not to take things personally, and realise early on that it’s a ‘game’. You might find a server with players who are more allowing of new players and introducing yourself is a good way to go about being accepted early on.

Alternatively, just by saying hello to the server, they see fresh meat and specifically hunt you.

Personally, I’d make myself known early before I had built myself up… if the server seems decent then I get out my pick and axe and start my adventure. If they don’t seem all that interested or even hostile, I know it’s not the server for me.

I hope this gives you a little guidance but it is by no means ‘perfect’.

Good luck!

I'm afraid even courteousness will still get you raided.

I sometimes type in global, whether to call out a Dino, say hi (back) to a passerbyer, or even chit chat if there's a convo.

Happened to me last time I built up. Two and a half days in. Called out a few 150 dinos, and the alphas--I ASSUME--wanted them. They checked them out, gave me stuff, and went away.

A day later, I guess they, the alphas, were out on a trolling spree, because the chat was exploding with complaints. Kept quiet that day, but...eventually they got to me. Spouted something off in a foreign dialect in voice chat...2 became 5, wyverns everywhere, and...well...

You know what happens next ?

On 11/10/2017 at 4:42 PM, Teddansen said:

Hey, so after reading another thread about solo or small tribes in PvP I got to thinking about talking in globe chat. 

I've been playing basically just that since the beginning and it was my thinking that if you were on globe chat talking all the time it would just bring attention to you and your tribe.. negative attention that is. 

It works for the most part but I always no matter what I do end up re-building my base. 

Lately I've been thinking that if I were to be more talkative in the server it might stop an attack. Not to the point where it's annoying but just being a part of what's going on. Wether it's trading or just answering questions whatever. 

I think someone is less likely to offend another someone they've had positive interactions with.... Or is everyone just a war monger lol

Anywho I'd love to hear some other opinions..  

My first experience of Ark, was PVP. Lasted 4 months. 

I was small, but was friendly, helpful. Worked charms. Even got gifts. I was making a bunch of narcotics because I was a noob and couldn't do much more (and by making I am talking about crafting them the mortar way...no chem bench back then). Had about 5-10 boxes. 

Once a member of one of the big tribes was taming a Q but ran out of narcotics and I offered him mines. He got me a mammoth as a thank you gift. 

Then comes Xmas 2015...WC decides to introduce Santa Raptor. Everyone was chasing gifts but this being PVP the Alpha tribe woke up and decided to be sausage to everyone. I was one of the victims because I just wanted the mistletoe to craft xmas lights for my wooden shack....they wiped my sorry ass off the server. 

Well, it's very interesting to read all the different opinions about the subject. I think I'll stick to my usual sheepish nature on globe chat but i do know for one hundred percent certainty that I will never ask an alpha permission for anything . I cringe every time I see some noob on the chat asking if it's okay to do this or do that so nope that's going to happen.. I'll just stay neutral till something or someone aggro's me lol

1 hour ago, Teddansen said:

Well, it's very interesting to read all the different opinions about the subject. I think I'll stick to my usual sheepish nature on globe chat but i do know for one hundred percent certainty that I will never ask an alpha permission for anything . I cringe every time I see some noob on the chat asking if it's okay to do this or do that so nope that's going to happen.. I'll just stay neutral till something or someone aggro's me lol

I agree, don't bow to anyone. I have been an alpha tribe and beta tribe on several servers and I can say for sure that we never respected the little sycophants that tried to suck up to us. Be respectful and know your place but that doesn't mean you have to ask the alpha if you can tie your shoe.

Question #1: Do you consider your personality type as someone who doesn't take anyone's poop and tells it how it is?

If yes, then for the love of God stay out of Global Chat. This demonstrates a personality type unable to look at the bigger picture or think beyond the immediate future.

Otherwise, if you have moderately good people skills then global chat is helpful in the long run. Be helpful and respectful instead of annoying and rude and you should be fine. Making threats or talking big gets you nowhere unless you are indeed the biggest fish in the pond, and at that point it isn't helpful just something you can afford to do.

Being generous helps loads. The higher end of gameplay is quite political. Knowing this I gladly give away top quality breeds and BPs for 'free' when in actuality I'm indirectly buying your psychological support and you don't even realize it because I never make anything of it. Unconditional generosity and respect breeds unconditional loyalty over time.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:51 PM, SmokeyB said:

Talk in chat,  be friendly,  help people,  but if your getting raided don't cry about being raided and beg for help,  say funny things so people know your fighting but enjoying it,  don't beg for stuff that's easy to get but offer trades for good stuff,  and when your raiding someone never say anything 

This is what me and a friend done when we first started Ark when it came out on PS4 and we got far over 7 months.

I tried it on Ragnarok though, on about 6 different servers (on the new official servers) and it didn't go well at all... there's lots of Spanish tribes on there now who don't really know English/Dislike English players, not being a xenophobe or nationalist, I'm just stating facts from my POV. Of course not all Spanish tribes are bad, but most of them don't like talking to you or seeing you type in global chat unless you're Spanish/speaking Spanish.

1 hour ago, Crows said:

This is what me and a friend done when we first started Ark when it came out on PS4 and we got far over 7 months.

I tried it on Ragnarok though, on about 6 different servers (on the new official servers) and it didn't go well at all... there's lots of Spanish tribes on there now who don't really know English/Dislike English players, not being a xenophobe or nationalist, I'm just stating facts from my POV. Of course not all Spanish tribes are bad, but most of them don't like talking to you or seeing you type in global chat unless you're Spanish/speaking Spanish.

Every spanish tribe I've interacted with has, eventually, backstabbed us.  It's 100% consistent.  Given that, if u don't speak english, I'm distrusting you.  In ARK, not real life, just in ARK.  I'm a product of experience in this game.

You shouldn't be at the mercy of some people on the other end of the controller if you want to build or not! Do what you want! Be good in the sense not to black spawns or resources but having a healthy server is a happy server

14 hours ago, ESXB46 said:
On 10/12/2017 at 3:51 PM, Brayn said:

You shouldn't be at the mercy of some people on the other end of the controller if you want to build or not! Do what you want! Be good in the sense not to black spawns or resources but having a healthy server is a happy server

I feel ya man.  It's a bitter pill to swallow... but when you have a 4x4x2 stone hut and a lvl 15 trike, maybe being a bit subordinate to the alphas is warranted.  I mean, if an alpha is taxing u or asking u to perform slave labor then I'd push back... but I've been alpha on 3 different legacy servers.  I understand their paranoia about new folks and also understand how much more powerful than me they are.  I want to play the game on a pvp server.  If I have to eat a little crow once a week to avoid being flattened, then so be it.

On 14/10/2017 at 4:09 AM, Crows said:

That's funny on xbox one it's the French we all hate and have war with,  they try to wipe servers just for them and kill all non French.

I guess on ps4 it's Spanish and in pc it's Chinese lol 

7 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

That's funny on xbox one it's the French we all hate and have war with,  they try to wipe servers just for them and kill all non French.

I guess on ps4 it's Spanish and in pc it's Chinese lol 

lol yeah it seems to be that way but to be honest, it was a big French tribe that wiped us in the end and a French tribe who was our original server's first alpha (from PC) when we started on PS4, but they got really cocky and put turrets on the volcano so everyone got together to wipe them out and then the server had a bunch of tribes who all got along, ranging from American, British, Greek and German. Some Spanish were okay but French really have a problem with us as well. xD

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, Dustrider said:

I agree, don't bow to anyone. I have been an alpha tribe and beta tribe on several servers and I can say for sure that we never respected the little sycophants that tried to suck up to us. Be respectful and know your place but that doesn't mean you have to ask the alpha if you can tie your shoe.

True but a lot will still try. If I see a lost bird of the alpha tribe I'm more inclined to lure a wild rex to it then to tell them where it is. There are exceptions though. If I am new to server and trying to "settle in" I'll be rather nice and tell them they have a lost a bird and where to find it.

Archived