i doubt there is anything more annoying then taming a bee

raptorjesus666

as title, been trying for 2 days now. no bee only a hive worth of frustration

if manage to feed them (somethimes they seem bugged and do not take flowers/kibble)

if they decide to stay on ground and not fly high above it

and if you allmost tamed it (last flower) then poof it dissapears right in front of you

a stinging pain in the butt!

1 minute ago, jaypak said:

Trying to get honey from a hive while being lifted by your tribe mate on an argy... it's wee moments like him getting stung off the bird and you hanging there trying to jab bees with a pike that make annoying but happy game moments   ???

the moment your friend gets stung off the argy, he drops you automatically so i have no clue how you even hang in the air with a pike

2 minutes ago, raptorjesus666 said:

the moment your friend gets stung off the argy, he drops you automatically so i have no clue how you even hang in the air with a pike

We'll all a remember is seeing him fly in front of me to the ground, who knows mabie a landed on a rock or Hill where the tree was but a survived with 5 honey lol

I. feel like bees are more glitchy now for some reason. When they first got released I tamed 4 with little issue. I took a break from taming them but have tried multiple times on my new Island playthrough and half the times queens wouldn't even show up just the minions. Tried force taming a spawned in one but then couldn't interact with it.

I can honestly say I have not had the same issues.  I've tamed three bees really quickly even off of 2x. I've been on the Rag map and had a hive close to the green ob where the bee got stuck in the rock area and wouldn't fly away from it.  I was able to be close enough to feed but far enough to not aggro it.  

1 hour ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

I. feel like bees are more glitchy now for some reason. When they first got released I tamed 4 with little issue. I took a break from taming them but have tried multiple times on my new Island playthrough and half the times queens wouldn't even show up just the minions. Tried force taming a spawned in one but then couldn't interact with it.

I agree....!!

• Volunteer Moderator

It's different strokes for different folks really. On the server I play on a few people spent around half an hour trying and failing to tame a bee. When I came along with them on their next taming excursion I managed to tame one for them under 2 minutes.

For me, my personal hornets nest is trying to bola an ichthyornis.

31 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

It's different strokes for different folks really. On the server I play on a few people spent around half an hour trying and failing to tame a bee. When I came along with them on their next taming excursion I managed to tame one for them under 2 minutes.

For me, my personal hornets nest is trying to bola an ichthyornis.

Yeah I find ichthyornis are worse then bees. Though then again I have almost died from the bees while the ichthyornis just stole all my food. 

Bitch of a tame, to be sure. There are things you will need...

1. Bug spray, for you AND any tamed dinos you have nearby

2. Ghillie

3. To be aware that bees have an absolutely minuscule render range. Like the opposite of a titano. You have to never get more than 7 metres away from them.

Cactus Broth is optional, it'll help but not as essential.

Apply spray/broth. Break the hive and wait for it to go to a reachable height. The first feed is usually the easiest. Be sure to not get too close - like passive taming an ape. If you get too close to the Queen, she will make a distinctive noise, which is her "aggro" sound. For a time after, she will not be able to be fed, so be careful. If you do well, you can feed her without even aggroing any bees around her. If you get stung, focus on keeping her in sight - the bees do very little damage so aren't a significant threat - but if you lose sight of the queen it can be nigh impossible to find her again. A pike is best for killing the bees due to their low hp and the pike's long reach. Good luck.

I got sick of losing the queen after breaking the nest or having to retreat due to minion bees attacking my tames so in the end I found a nest with bees in it and built a box around it with a wall just above/in-front of the hive.  I shot the hive from above, the minion bees got stuck behind the wall.. the nest broke and the queen hit the box floor.

I left area briefly to de-aggro and get rid of the minions before jumping in and taming the queen safely in my box with ghillie and flowers.

i know how to tame bees, i have done it before

i mean "as of late" they are insanely hard to tame

i have really tried different things

like using the honey i got from a destroyed hive, throw the honey on the floor hoping the queen bee would show interest in it allowing me for a easy tame..but nope!

the fact that they are extramely skitterish isn't also in our favour, they flye like a headless chicken

also "annoying" is that somethimes multiple hives spawn into each other so after you destroyed them, you suddenly have 3 or even 4 queen bees all clipping (bugged) into each other and each still spawning her minion army that rips through ascended ghillie armour in less then a minute, so ye goodluck trying to feed the "right" queen hehe

i tried taming with kibble, but not on x2 wish i saved my kibble for it

i could feed the first kibble, but on the second kibble (17 seconds feeding interval according to dododex) the bee would not accept my food, and was losing taming effiiciency untill eventually it was back at 0 and i could start over untill it took "too long" and the queen would just despawn

23 hours ago, Thegeekgroundhog said:

"I doubt there is anything more annoying than taming a bee"

Taming a troodon ? =)

But yeah, taming a bee is a pretty annoying experience ...

a troodon isn't that hard (for me), raise some boss rexes and you need like 2 or 3 for a lvl 150 troodon. punch the troodon untill it jumps on you (and also hits the baby) best is to tame it during night (so troodon gets increased exp value from your tames as a troodon is tamed through exp value gained) and also make sure that your baby/sacrifice is on neutral

I've successfully tamed 8 Bees at this point.     This is what I've learned

1. It is a 2 person job.   
  2. Ghillie + Bug spray is absolutely required
  3. Using strong dinos helps substantially
  4. Kibble *substantially* reduces the effort.   I know it's 2 kibble vs 6 rare flowers, but those 4 extra feedings can make or break the tame.

My strategy:

• I will be in full Ghillie + Bugspray.    My teammate's sole purpose is to be on a strong dino to protect me and kill bees attacking me
  • I'm on my strong dino,  I either build a platform or somehow get close enough to attack the hive.   Gigas + Rexes are sometimes easier as they are taller and can 2 - 3 shot a beehive before aggro'ing bees.    I mostly stuck with a Therizino as I can break it open really fast with the high attack speed and melee
  • I jump off my dino and chase down the bee.
    • If the Bee begins flying upward,  stay just barely inside the viewing distance. Sometimes the bee comes back down.   If it doesn't - and you didn't bring a quetzal + platform + bugspray  the bee is lost, just give up and go do another one. 
  • I will sprint to the bee and feed it, then sprint back to my friend who will clear the bees chasing me.

Wash/rinse/repeat.

Alternative strategies I have heard work involve bug spraying you,  1 tribemate, tribemate's animal, and a quetz + platform.    You can use the tribemate's dino to break the hive then chase the bee down using the Quetz.

I don't particularly like taking Quetz into the Redwood so I have not tried this strategy.  It would make it easier to chase down bees that fly upwards.

I've also used Wyverns to break open hives and they work pretty well.

-K

23 hours ago, vlad77713 said:

Haha, puns. Usually after I  break a hive the queen is stuck in the tree or cliff and I cant reach it. They don't fly around or anything, it just stays where the hive was. As a solo tame its rough. I have yet to succeed.

the beehive i have is the first bee i ever saw, and i tamed it without ghillie, just running as spamming Y lol. i had lots of fun

22 hours ago, raptorjesus666 said:

a troodon isn't that hard (for me), raise some boss rexes and you need like 2 or 3 for a lvl 150 troodon. punch the troodon untill it jumps on you (and also hits the baby) best is to tame it during night (so troodon gets increased exp value from your tames as a troodon is tamed through exp value gained) and also make sure that your baby/sacrifice is on neutral

I know this but I never managed to make it aggro on babies ^^'

I use the frog to break the hive and chase the queen wear ghilie and use bug repellent. If you get to close  she wont feed you need to stay about an arms length away and spam Y or whatever button Y is for you. I do this solo and have about 80% success rate I also have cooked meat and health brews on the hot bar so you can tank the drones and not back down.

Archived