Griffin quick ascend disabled?

mogrot

The griffin's best ability just has been disabled....

Why oh why...? I can't see why this is an issue.
And if you "Fix" it, why does it rubberband you atm?

I would not change such a cool feature ever..

Flyer nerf, lagging servers, early server tame caps,... you guys are doing everything to get rid of the ppl playing Ark do you?

20 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Because it was abusable and broken?

Like duping, kiting gigas/rock elementals to people's bases, DDoS'ing/crashing servers, going over tame cap by bringing dinos to a server from an obi even though it is already capped, losing character to transfer.

Sure let's give this Griffon thing a priority.

I'm puzzled to what it was they actually fixed. Was it the fact you could 'backwards' fly up when you're looking down?

If so then so what if it was removed. Fly up normally like you should have done from the start. It ascended waaaaaay too quickly before this way.

If it wasn't that then...oh well, it's gone now. I probably never discovered or used it anyway.

39 minutes ago, Demerus said:

Like duping, kiting gigas/rock elementals to people's bases, DDoS'ing/crashing servers, going over tame cap by bringing dinos to a server from an obi even though it is already capped, losing character to transfer.

Sure let's give this Griffon thing a priority.

It's not just a saliency issue, it's also an ease of coding issue. Finding fixes to prevent DDOS/crashes is, I'm almost certainly willing to bet a large sum, a significant deal harder than fixing Griffins quick-ascending. It honestly probably took someone an hour or two to figure out how to stop the Griffin quick ascend; it's taken them months and months to figure out effective DDOS prevention, and even that hasn't stopped all of them.

1 hour ago, onetwothree said:

Disabling features entirely because you cannot stop players using them to do stuff you dont want them to do is a lazy way to develop your product.

Unintended and unwanted(by devs) "features" are usually called bugs and have to be fixed.

1 hour ago, onetwothree said:

The end result of this type of development proccess is a good game.

Fixed it for you.

Don't worry guys, this is just Studio Wildcards approach of "fixing" things by disabling it.
The griffin quick backwards fly could be abused to instantly do a full dive-bomb, I man fixing it by just adding a timer or a minimum height or speed would be better - but yeah.

Same to the eggs that kept falling under the ground, Studio Wildcard "fixed" them by disabling the egg physics, so sometimes you have to "pull out" the eggs ;)

I have to test this a bit more though, if it's really been fully disabled - when I get back from work.

13 hours ago, mogrot said:

The ability to dupe just has been disabled....

Why oh why...? I can't see why this is an issue.
And if you "Fix" it, why does it rubberband you atm?

I would not change such a cool feature ever..

Flyer nerf, lagging servers, early server tame caps,... you guys are doing everything to get rid of the ppl playing Ark do you?

That is how it sounds.

Well ascending backwards is now rubberbanding the griffin, maybe they need to recheck that again. I never realised it could help for Ddos or duping... It was just and awesome thing to do. Still, I believe they just take more and more fun away of the normal players in stead of handling the ppl who do such lame stuff

1 hour ago, ArkRage said:

ugh, why release something and THEN change it.. fecks me off so much. 

Nothing is going to be absolutely perfect on release, the players will always find something wrong with a new release that wasn't spotted by the developers and abuse it. Happens in nearly every game you can ever think of.

6 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

I was talking about the Griffin. You'd think they'd release something after testing it themselves, but apparently not.

So was I. Obviously they have tested it themselves otherwise you'll have people dive bombing through the map and stuff... They need the players to also fiddle with all of the mechanics constantly and figure out different ways to use the Griffin that the developers didn't. That's when bugs are found and patches/nerfs are made. Something with the mechanics of the Griffin was never going to be flawless on release, just like the unlimited speed boost you could get by grappling the dismounting to get yourselves across the map in seconds which was abused. If these are the only issues they find then I think they have done a great job.

21 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

I don't see why they should need players to test things when it's a finished game. They should test things themselves and check for faults before releasing. Highly frustrating taming a bunch of animals for a specific feature that is removed/nerfed or whatavya.

and what? Since when is it abuse to want to travel from one side of the map to the other faster?? Maybe if they didn't ruin other things in this game people wouldn't be left literally clinging to dinos trying to travel. Just my opinion ofc. 

Okay for example Call Of Duty, when they release new weapons there is always atleast 1 which is considered overpowered and then that receives a nerf. As well as Fifa if a player is overpowered you best know they're getting a nerf as well, this is no different? There is a mechanic with the Griffin that they deem overpowered so they nerf it. Just because something is official released it doesn't mean it cannot be improved on to balance the gameplay?

It isn't an abuse to want to travel the map faster but it is an abuse to travel the map at a sonic speed which requires stamina which is completely avoided by dismounting but still having the sonic speed, that is the abuse which shouldn't be allowed therefore leading to the nerf. Things haven't been ruined, if you get on a Pteranodon you can travel the length of a map in under or around 2 minutes. If you want to be at one end of the map 1 second and then on the other side of the map the next second, fast travel by beds. If flying mounts were allowed to have their speed bumped endlessly it would make aerial warfare pointless. 

The flyer nerf was a good thing because it didn't make any logical sense for something like a Quetzal to be zooming round for its size and weight. It would be like having a Bronto running around like a Raptor, it wouldn't make any sense at all. 

Getting around the Ark is not a hard thing, if you haven't got the patience to travel and make the journeys then fast travel. If that isn't for you then hard luck really, Ark is not meant to be an easy game, its long and grindy and that's what makes it Ark. 

12 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

I've never played cod or fifa so I wouldn't know. I don't mind changes as long as they're not noticeable. And if it's abusive to travel at super sonic speed then they wouldn't have fast travel. jk haha ? But in all seriousness, this game isn't as fun as when I first started playing it back in December. I don't mind the grind and long hours, but when they introduce things and then start changing them is annoying af. The bird nerf I wasn't bothered about, but to then have griffins and have them nerfed AFTER they're introduced it is just.. lol. Why even have them go that fast to begin with if they planned to nerf them. Oh well. There's always evolution if things head further downhill.

I agree some things could've been left alone but we gotta adapt and get on with it. It's not abusive to travel at sonic speed, that is a mechanic of the Griffin at the expense of stamina, like every other dino in the game if you wanna move faster you use stamina; therefore if you wanna use the sonic speed of the Griffin you must use stamina and if there is a way to use the sonic speed without the expense of stamina then it is an exploit because it goes against the core mechanics of everything in the game. No one creates and develops something with plans on nerfing it. The exploits were found and they are nerfing what they couldn't find on their own.  

Archived