How to get your Pterodon to retreat?

20GT

Memorize your whistles so you can use them without thinking. When your tame is in a fight it can't win, whistle passive, follow and GTFO. Automatically retreating in 99% of the cases isn't as nice as it seems.
If the tame can't outrun the danger, it is now certainly dead.
Even if the tame outruns the danger, how much more aggro does it pick up during the flight?
Even if the tame survives all that, where will you ever find it again?

1 minute ago, jaypak said:

It's hard enuth trying to jump in a wyvern or petra when it's flying never mind when it's attacking someone lol but is a good point, u should be able to tell it to stop fighting and come to u 

;  - passive all - STAHP!
J - follow all   - GIT OUT!

I'm not kidding, study that stuff like you would for the biggest exam of your pixel life. It does save lives.

2 hours ago, Rintrahhh said:

Yeah, unfortunately there's no flee when attacked option. They will just sit there until they die when on passive, or fight to the death on neutral.

One thing that might help is to have them set to follow another dino or yourself if you're caught off guard an need to run away.

So even if they are in a fight they will leave it,  if you run and they are set to follow? 

1 minute ago, 20GT said:

It's a bit harder on the PS4 

Ah, that does sound like an issue. Really, no one-button shortcuts for such essential tools? Ouch...

Just now, 20GT said:

So even if they are in a fight they will leave it if you run and they are set to follow? 

If they are set to follow and not fighting, yes. But on neutral/aggressive they choose fight over follow.

1 hour ago, Housatonic said:

Ah, that does sound like an issue. Really, no one-button shortcuts for such essential tools? Ouch...

If they are set to follow and not fighting, yes. But on neutral/aggressive they choose fight over follow.

That would mean that they are not actively in a fight (passive). The run  solution won't work. 

Looks like the only solution for the moment is whistle passive and follow. Or try to mount them. 

6 hours ago, GerbilRex said:

They're adding a 'flee' temperament soon. That should work unless it's a slow dino! :) 

Now if they can add a "All Flyers Land" command.  So sick of anchoring flyers to a passive dino, then when they get aggro'd, they just hover forever. until I  go 1 by 1 and tell them to stop, then I have to Re-anchor them to the passive.  

Wish I could just whistle "ALL LAND" and they would land, but still remain anchored.   C'mon  WC, make it happen!!

What i do is if I'm going into a player-versus-player situation where I might lose my wyvern is

1 put a dodo on top of a mounting on the other side of the map and put the wyvern on fallow so that is why if you get picked or killed it will go straight up that mountain to that mountain. Put a  sleeping bag near that dodo and wait.

2. Do you have a platform quatz ? Fly it way up high above your base put a bed on the platform put your wyvern on fallow to the quatz. 

3. If you have a tribe mate that goes in battle with you put each other's amount on follow to one another that is why if something happens to you your mount will automatically start following your tribe mate and he can pull out and bring your mount back to you

Now if you have not noticed the reason why I'm telling to put stuff on follow way up high like a mountain or a quetzel hovering close to the sky roof it's because if it's low to the ground it could get caught and stuck on Terrain trying to get back to whatever it is you have on follow

Parachutes, I find, are the best way to get yourself out of trouble.  If you're in trouble, whistle passive, whistle follow, find the nearest elevation change, run and pull chute.  Press forward to go forward faster.  If the attacking dinos do hit you after you deploy the chute, they'll push you away from them and make you go away faster as well.  If your dino now on follow is a flier, if you have it set to low follow you will be able to re-mount it while floating.  If it's a land dino, unless it gets stuck on terrain, it should follow under you.

Works really well at getting away from your own enraged giga as well.  They have a huge knockback so one bite after you pull the chute sends you flying so far and so fast that by the time the giga catches you it's not enraged anymore.

11 hours ago, 20GT said:

Whats the best way to get your Pterodon or actually any dino to retreat when you get surprised by a double team. 

Is the answer just try to jump on them and ride away? 

They should have common sense when they hit a percentage to run. That behavior setting would be nice.

Retreat percentage 99-0 

If you're about to die, use the "move to" button (,) and point straight up at the sky

Yeah, unfortunately there's no flee when attacked option. They will just sit there until they die when on passive, or fight to the death on neutral.
One thing that might help is to have them set to follow another dino or yourself if you're caught off guard an need to run away.
I've heard that wild card intends to put in a flee option, but they're not sure how well it will work. Time will tell. Sauce: from them on their website.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:02 AM, 20GT said:

So even if they are in a fight they will leave it,  if you run and they are set to follow? 

Yes, if they're on passive that is. I did this just a few minutes ago. My argy was in a fight and I whistled passive and to follow me. I ran away and it stopped fighting and then followed me. I was able to jump on it and fly away safely.

Archived