In my opinion the Fur armor in its current state is way too weak since it still is common to have an ice cube at the bottom of the screen for half of the time im in the ice biome. I would either suggest buffing it or making a better version available in the engram system to get rid of this annoying inconvenience. Also an Armor, craftable on the island, that protects against heat in the southern regions would be cool too.

Posted (edited)

Primitive fur armor is not very good, but a journeyman or above piece will provide more than enough coverage from the cold weather. Having some fortitude never hurt either. Ghillie armor protects against the heat quite nicely. 

Edited by Bobo1234

3 hours ago, DrTurtok said:

In my opinion the Fur armor in its current state is way too weak since it still is common to have an ice cube at the bottom of the screen for half of the time im in the ice biome. I would either suggest buffing it or making a better version available in the engram system to get rid of this annoying inconvenience. Also an Armor, craftable on the island, that protects against heat in the southern regions would be cool too.

Ummm, fortitude/primitive fur/cooked meat and health potions will handle it for you unless you go the coldest parts of the snow biome (gotta be careful about night time chilliness as well).. cloth and ghillie negate heat so I dunno what you're saying here unless you are new to a lot about ark..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrTurtok said:

If you are looking for gear that protects you from the heat, get some desert gear from Scorched Earth. If it's armor you are looking for then you are kinda out of luck unless you get some mastercraft or ascended desert gear. Ghille suit is still good for heat I think.

6 hours ago, CaptainBonecold said:

Lv 23 armor needs lv 80 player to open deep sea loot crates.  See the problem. 

Yea, cause it takes a whole weekend or less to get to level 80.. or use explorer notes.. I see the problem,  you aren't good or very knowledgeable about ark and you refuse to let others educate you..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Yea, cause it takes a whole weekend or less to get to level 80.. or use explorer notes.. I see the problem,  you aren't good or very knowledgeable about ark and you refuse to let others educate you..

Exactly and like you said earlier crank up fortitude and use potions until you reach that point. Also, you find and tame an otter for a insulation buff to help out now too. After that mindwipe if you don't want your fortitude that high put all the extra points left over from that in different skills.

Edited by phantomman01
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CaptainBonecold said:

Lv 23 armor needs lv 80 player to open deep sea loot crates.  See the problem. 

If you want the best of the best gear you have to work your way up to it. This game is not suppose to hand feed you in the early levels.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BlueFox91 said:

Yes use dinosaurs to your advantage. Those penguins are good for warmth too ;)

I used to tranq out rex/mammoth/quetz/rhino up in the snow then throw a bunch of wild penguin in the taming pen for warmth.. also better for staying a bit more hidden if the server is super aggro

I know that better levels of fur armor may be enough for the sonow biome, still the normal armor which should be enough in my opinion is not much better than a full set of apprentice hide armor which makes it rather underpowered in my opinion

On 10/9/2017 at 7:15 PM, DrTurtok said:

In my opinion the Fur armor in its current state is way too weak since it still is common to have an ice cube at the bottom of the screen for half of the time im in the ice biome. I would either suggest buffing it or making a better version available in the engram system to get rid of this annoying inconvenience

Agree. This is especially true for Ragnarok map, where you have regions (Murder Murder Snow) where it's (no so) hilariously ineffective. 
Still I can imagine blueprints for loot crates/supply drops providing leveled fur armor blueprints with (much) better hypothermic insulation. I am not sure I spot any.

I also think that in vanilla game (unmodded) we should see some improvement station which upgrades armor insulation stats. Or possibly duration too. 
There is btw mod already doing this (with other upgrades).