Breaking Bee Hives - Methods

marcpullen

Playing Ragnarok this weekend, I was at a point in my new base where I wanted a bee hive so I could start making cake and get snails and ovis.

I found a great spot low to the ground in the NW corner, nice open area, no hostiles. I got Ghillie armor on, bug spray ready. I was going to use a land dino to munch the hive down, possibly a flyer, but I've had super bad luck in the past since the bee stings dismount you.

So I though, a gun? Would take a while with basic primitive stuff (haven't found any blueprints or good drops yet). So I made a basic rocket launcher and 10 rockets, and got to the spot where the hive was.

1 rocket is all it took. And to my amazement, **2** queens appeared! I think there were 2 hives that spawned in the exact same spot.

I managed to tame both of them without dying, got 2 shiny hives for the price of 1 rocket. I needed 10 healing potions (one of the queens wouldn't take my flowers quick enough), one bug spray, and a stack of rare flowers, ghillie armor, and a pike for the little bees, that's it.

I was pretty happy with the results, and didn't risk losing anything other than basic cheap mats and items.

Anyone else have any good, or low/high risk methods to getting bees?

I too tried to tame a bee this weekend. (Not; I have done it before on the Island multiple times) But on Ragnarok, there are a ton of Beehives, but they are all glitched. There would be 3,4- even 5 hives all spawned on top of each other.  Even when I tried to just destroy them, with my battle Argy, I could not, as a new one would spawn in the same place.  Needless to say, I was never able to even get a Queen to leave the hive. But I did (with the help of a bunch of my Dimorphs and Argy kill about 10 billion drone bees. :Jerbmad:

I finally just went from hive to hive on a Quetz, and stole honey from the hive.  BUt I would much prefer to find a non-glitched hive and just tame the Queen.

After mulitple attempts at breaking nests in the wild and failing by either destroying the queen or losing her from render range I ended up building a thatch box around the nest.

With the box surrounding the nest I was able to shoot from above, trap the minions behind a wall above the nest then easily leave range to let it de-aggro then returned in my ghillie to tame it easy on the trap box floor.

25 minutes ago, MirageUK said:

I tried that technique.. just get knocked off the Ptera.  Actually lost my best Ptera to that trick.. C spin through the nest into the gap it sat in.  Me knocked off the Ptera and it trapped behind the hive unable to escape :(

Same here on one of my better argies, that's why I opted to go on foot by myself. Paid off nicely, low risk.

On 10/9/2017 at 8:36 AM, marcpullen said:

Playing Ragnarok this weekend, I was at a point in my new base where I wanted a bee hive so I could start making cake and get snails and ovis.

I found a great spot low to the ground in the NW corner, nice open area, no hostiles. I got Ghillie armor on, bug spray ready. I was going to use a land dino to munch the hive down, possibly a flyer, but I've had super bad luck in the past since the bee stings dismount you.

So I though, a gun? Would take a while with basic primitive stuff (haven't found any blueprints or good drops yet). So I made a basic rocket launcher and 10 rockets, and got to the spot where the hive was.

1 rocket is all it took. And to my amazement, **2** queens appeared! I think there were 2 hives that spawned in the exact same spot.

I managed to tame both of them without dying, got 2 shiny hives for the price of 1 rocket. I needed 10 healing potions (one of the queens wouldn't take my flowers quick enough), one bug spray, and a stack of rare flowers, ghillie armor, and a pike for the little bees, that's it.

I was pretty happy with the results, and didn't risk losing anything other than basic cheap mats and items.

Anyone else have any good, or low/high risk methods to getting bees?

I prefer to use dinos. Decent dmg quetzals (~300%) are good as they one-shot the bees and have a high AoE. In addition, it only takes 10 hits to break a hive, and if by some chance the bees do dismount you, you'll stay on ur quetz.

Pretty easy to get.  Use a Ptera to spin the hive down to 100 or so HP.  The trick is to hit and run.  Fly in, spin and take a wide circle around to spin again.  The bees won't even spawn.

Once hive is around 100 HP, position yourself like 20 foundations away from the hive, wear guile, use bug repellent.  Use arrows or longneck or whatever to break the hive.  Watch where queen goes.  Walk up, crouch, feed.  If queen is hovering, build thatch up to it.  Shooting the hive from this far away avoids agro.

I use two bug repellant to tame each of mine.  I take a ptera or a ptera and a wyv to break the hive.  The wyv gets it down to 100hp and the ptera finishes off the hive.  I then use fly out of range of the drones and back again.  Since the ptera is not covered in repellant I use it to push the bee into a corner then proceed to tame it by running up with flowers and running out of range.  Fairly easy process.  The ptera is very helpful for avoiding or killing drones.

I had one of my tribemates shoot the nest with a gun of their choice so that the drones went after him, then I munched the hive with a GROUND dino that can reach the hive. It usually breaks before it spawns more drones, so long as the dino is strong enough. Even if a drone gets you, falling from a ground dino usually isn't lethal.

Archived