Tapejaras: The Good and the Bad + My Opinion

Rmmc1203

So I managed to knock out a lvl 56 Tapejara on my SP Island save, and when it finished taming it was level 87. I'd never tamed one before, so that's a goal I have now met. Overall, they're nice. You don't need one that's super high level for it to be useful. They can carry quite a lot more than a Pteranodon, and the extra mobility is a good QoL thing.

Whilst I don't particularly care for being able to go up, down, backwards, left, and right more easily than any other flyer, if that's something you want, the Tapejara's a good tame. With the somewhat recent tame to Rare Flowers it's a piece of cake.

How I Tamed Mine:

My taming cage is on the western side of the swamp near West 1, as the swamp contains all sorts of nifty creatures. As you travel west there's the Redwoods, I nice big mountain, and the best of all, a river where you can find many species of the ARK. Every now and then I go up and down this river killing stuff and looking around. Occasionally I see a Tapejara or two, so I decided to tame one. My wooden taming cage wasn't too far away, and my 188 Pteranodon has a good bit of stamina. So, I grabbed my stash of Rare Flowers and went out searching on my Pteranodon. I found a good candidate, at least for my first one. I didn't want to get one that was too high level, as I didn't want it to cost a million narcotics or to take three hours. I am so grateful that Tapejaras aggro when you eat a rare flower. Not only that, but they'll attack you for quite a while even after the effect ends. I just ate a Rare Flower, flew up to it, checked that it was chasing me, turned, and flew. These things are fast, maybe just a touch faster than Pteras. If it ever stopped chasing/attacking, I just ate another Rare Flower before it got too far. Within a few minutes we were at near my taming cage. It was too fast to fly through the cage and close the gate behind me, so after realizing this, I concocted a plan. I'd fly up to it, eat a Rare Flower, fly close to my cage, hop off of my Ptera, have the Tapejara chase me into the cage, close the gate behind it, and escape through one of the smaller side doors. It attacked the cage, doing a whole 12 damage per hit. I was worried it'd break through before long, so time was of the essence. I zoomed back to base, grabbed some food for it, a crossbow, tranq arrows, and narcotics, then zoomed right back. By the time I got back it was trying to escape just by flying around. Within less than a minute the thing was on the ground, ready to tame. So I just flew around getting prime meat from Diplos and Paracers with my Argentavis and keeping it's torpor topped up. When the taming process was nearly complete I flew back to base yet again again to craft a saddle, flew back, gave it some more prime meat, and when I came back from my last hunting mission, it was tamed. HYPE!

Pros:

1. They're about the same speed as Pteranodons.

2. They can carry quite a bit more than a Pteranodon and still fly just as fast.

3. Extra maneuverability is a good QoL addition.

4. Latching onto walls is cool.

5. Carrying other people sounds fun.

Cons:

1. They're stamina gain is horrific when latched onto a wall, about 5 per second compared to standing still on the ground's 30.

2. When I first knocked mine out, it had around 580 Weight. When it finished taming, it had around 330. WHY???

3. Tapejaras are rather noisy creatures. They make a whole lot of strange sounds, even in their sleep. So how come it doesn't have some sort of trumpeting call?

How To Fix These:

1. Increase they're stamina gain on walls to 15 or 20. Shouldn't be too OP.

2. Decrease the amount of the Weight statistic removed after taming. If it went from 580 to 400-450, I wouldn't be all that disappointed, but 330? GG WildCard.

3. Add a trumpeting call.

On a PvP Server, I'd rate these 9/10, having tribemates ride with you is pretty neat, and the fact that their Weight stat isn't horrific is cool too.

For PvE, 8/10, see PvP.

And for SP, 7/10. The reason I rate it this low is because I don't see it being very useful currently, but it is cool to mess around with. Would probably recommend for exploration and light cargo transport, however

2 hours ago, Salba said:

As someone who mainly plays Single Player I consider a Tapy an essential tame as I use one to tame a Quetz. You just need to hop in the front seat and whistle it to attack something so it takes off. Then you whistle move here to chase down the quetz and shoot it from your tapy. 

lol, that would be something to watch... I guess you need to point to the quetzto make it go there

To be honest, I've pretty much replaced all my ptera flying with tapejaras. I love tapejaras. Versatile, hardier than pteras in many ways, and seats 3.

Theyre not faster than pteras, but that bulkier stamina they got foregoes that easily. Yeah, they get very small increments when they level up, but most fliers are like that now. You either focus on all--or most--stamina, or health and melee.

Plus, their versatile movements assist with trolls/trolling. Got an enemy ptera coming in for the grab? Just shoop-de-woop, duck out of the way or do a little sashay. Make it hard for em ?

Same speed as Ptera (but Ptera can roll to go faster).

More hp, stam, weight than Ptera. Ptera bests them in the melee department is all.

To make them stop moving, just use the opposite directional key of what you are moving in. They will stop fast, dont overcompensate.

Tapejara is superior to the Ptera in almost every way except for roll and melee.

I think the Tapejaras noises are the best in the game and its my favorite mount. Its a massive game changer when you have someone who can ride shotgun.

Those that know me, be them people I trade and adventure with, and especially my tribe mates, know how much of a tapejara fanatic I am. They are my #1 favorite dino in this game, I utterly adore them. Yeah, I'm your resident Crazy Tapy Lady. On Legacy, before I had to leave my server, I had so, so many it was insane. I love raising them, they are just so adorable. I love hatching 6-8 at a time (who needs sleep?) and getting those mutations. It was hard to leave all that hard work behind on Legacy, but my first egg hatched a mutation on my official server, so I'm already off to a good start.

Like the Pelagornis the tapejara was one of the flyers that was probably never a problem pre-nerf but none the less got "balanced" anyways. They jsed to be much better. They do have great uses though. They are nice for taming things, even in the drivers seat you can pull out your bow/gun and shoot some creatures. It is disorienting at first but if you get used to it that's a great way to hunt.

A Tapejara is also pretty much the best way of solo taming a quetzal. You get in the front passenger seat and whistle it to attack a nearby creature. When it's in the air you can then use the command where you whistle a dino the where your icon is pointing so you can fly your Tape around the air and search the quetz out and whistle attack target and shoot tranq darts at the quetz before the tapejara gets to it. Whistle passive to get the Tapejara to stop. 

it's a balancing act of whistling the Tapejara around and whistling it to stop but it's pretty much the easiest and fastest way beyond already gaving a quetz to tame a quetz. 

Tapejaras are pretty nice mounts though when you get a higher level one and really practice using one effectively.

13 hours ago, Moonie1 said:

Same speed as Ptera (but Ptera can roll to go faster).

More hp, stam, weight than Ptera. Ptera bests them in the melee department is all.

To make them stop moving, just use the opposite directional key of what you are moving in. They will stop fast, dont overcompensate.

Tapejara is superior to the Ptera in almost every way except for roll and melee.

I think the Tapejaras noises are the best in the game and its my favorite mount. Its a massive game changer when you have someone who can ride shotgun.

U wot pter has 1800 ms while tape 1100

• 3 weeks later...

Archived