Z3Nark

DEDICATED SERVER FATAL ERRORS

Posted (edited)

@Jatheish @Jeremy Stieglitz 271.21 fixed this error, and now it is happening all over again with 271.22.

Here is the error text string: https://pastebin.com/raw/UVFwGXRN

I run a huge ark community with an average of 300-500 visitors to my servers a day and now one of my servers has been down again for 24h + and I can't even communicate with my player base about when it will be fixed because of Wildcard's lack of communication. Do you know it's happening? Is it being fixed? How long will the rest of us not playing on official have to wait? Prior to 271.21 there was another 3 days of downtime due to the same error. PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING.

Edited by Z3Nark

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Are you still getting this crash with version .25? Let me know. We're currently resolving the stacks as they come through.

Incidentally on this, I think .25 on linux might have been unversioned.. I'm up to date (have checked for updates) but still showing version .24. And any chance we can get some more extended logging on the linux servers? We just got "Segmentation fault" on this bug, which could have been anything. Even strace showed nothing.

I'm good now on the latest version though, just thought I'd point out those couple of things.

Edited by DCUOperv
more info

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jatheish said:

Are you still getting this crash with version .25? Let me know. We're currently resolving the stacks as they come through.

I am getting this crash on a Rag map, but seemingly only the rag map.

https://pastebin.com/raw/ZXDM0ypr

The rest of the cluster maps (Island,Center,SE) seems to be operating OK.

Edited by Stat

2 hours ago, Stat said:

I am getting this crash on a Rag map, but seemingly only the rag map.

https://pastebin.com/raw/ZXDM0ypr

The rest of the cluster maps (Island,Center,SE) seems to be operating OK.

Are you running any mods for your server? It would be good to get a copy of the save file, as well as all the config files+mods being used so we can attempt to repro it ourselves.

Posted (edited)
On 10/9/2017 at 12:49 PM, Jatheish said:

Are you running any mods for your server? It would be good to get a copy of the save file, as well as all the config files+mods being used so we can attempt to repro it ourselves.

Not sure what the best way to handle this is, but here's the mods i'm using:

Here's a zip of the save file/arkprofilebaks/WindowsServer configs

If it's at all helpful, here's the mods zipped up:

Edited by Stat
link removal

We've put up another fix for it, do you think you could see if you're still crashing? If so, grab a copy of the callstack and we can check it out. Thank you for the save file and config, it'll help us investigate further. Do you have repro steps to get the crash to occur, or is it something that has just happened over time?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

We've put up another fix for it, do you think you could see if you're still crashing? If so, grab a copy of the callstack and we can check it out. Thank you for the save file and config, it'll help us investigate further. Do you have repro steps to get the crash to occur, or is it something that has just happened over time?

Hmm. Just did a check 

Installed Version: 2182627
Latest Available ARK Version: 2182627

Is that the build that includes the fix?

Also, no repro steps, it just seemed to happen over time. "callstack" is the message when it crashes? 

Edited by Stat

3 hours ago, Stat said:

Hmm. Just did a check 

Installed Version: 2182627
Latest Available ARK Version: 2182627

Is that the build that includes the fix?

Also, no repro steps, it just seemed to happen over time. "callstack" is the message when it crashes? 

Would I be able to see your commandline? and are you running the DLC or the Beta Rag map?

Yup, callstack refers to the crash message. Are you seeing the patch now? I was able to update to the latest version.

13 hours ago, Jatheish said:

Would I be able to see your commandline? and are you running the DLC or the Beta Rag map?

Yup, callstack refers to the crash message. Are you seeing the patch now? I was able to update to the latest version.

Gotcha!  Here's the command line:

Ragnarok?SessionName=PvE-Mods-GatherBonus-RG?AltSaveDirectoryName=SaveRagnarok?listen?QueryPort=27017?Port=7778?RCONPort=27021?listen?ServerPassword=?AllowFlyerCarryPVE=true?

Running DLC (as far as I know).

My update script doesn't seem to be detecting any other build number. I'll do a force update and see if it grabs it. (Do you happen to know the latest build #?)
(FWIW the force update did bring across 271.26 woo!)

Update: As of 9AM ET - Stable. I think things may be fixed with the .26 update. Thanks for the help and being responsive, much appreciated!

Edited by Stat

I run an unofficial cluster and have done numerous tests with the other admins.

Basically, when .17 dropped we couldn't start our Island and Ragnarok servers. We did manage to start Ragnarok by rolling back, but for TI we had to remove a few mods to get it to finally start. By .20 we had another issue where rendering a certain base on The Island would crash the server without fail every time. We had to use playersonly to halt the physics, but it's hard to say if that fixed it as .22 I believe dropped at the same time, which cleared the issue, but since today, or .25, we've had another base on The Island crash the server again, without fail. Playersonly didn't work this time, so we removed all mods. Still crashed without any mods. Removing all structures fixes the issue, but that's a bit extreme. The only visible vanilla structures are species x, the artifact pedestal, and some signs.

So it seems these more recent patches have done something that causes crashing by rendering certain areas, at least in our case. We are totally confused.

Edited by fr0st

@Jatheish Thank you for responding to this issue. I came back to revisit this thread.

.25 DID fix the servers. Didn't have to change anything, launching the server just magically started working again.

At the time, it was only my center server, but the other server owners I am in contact with regularly were experiencing the same errors but on different maps.

However, unlike implied above, it does not appear to be a mod incompatibility issue at all as I was able to replicate the error launching a clean server with no mods and a fresh map. But on that note the servers it was affecting seemed random. For example I couldn't get center to run, but my rag and island maps were functioning perfectly. The three days of downtime I mentioned before, It started on rag, then the center, the island remained unaffected. Other server owners I know were only experiencing the issue on ragnarok or only on the island with still functioning center servers.

I know this doesn't particularly help narrow down the culprit, but I just wanted to make sure that you knew it seemed like it could affect any server at any time, regardless of map. Since the .25 patch, I've had zero issues or downtime though.

Edited by Z3Nark

18 hours ago, Jatheish said:

After the update, we were stable for several hours.  However, we just crashed.

Callstack: https://pastebin.com/raw/si8EEjtP

Edited by Stat
add quote

3 minutes ago, Stat said:

More info: It appears to be happening when a particular user is logging into the map.

I bet if you were to go to this user's base, your server would go down. At least this has been the case with my Island server. Unfortunately, patch .3 never fixed it for my server. Still crashing when rendering a certain base, with no mods and even dinos wiped. We are actually wiping the map entirely now and getting everyone to move to a new Island server just because we feel this isn't going to be fixed. Something was changed in these smaller patches that did some serious damage.

1 minute ago, fr0st said:

I bet if you were to go to this user's base, your server would go down. At least this has been the case with my Island server. Unfortunately, patch .3 never fixed it for my server. Still crashing when rendering a certain base, with no mods and even dinos wiped. We are actually wiping the map entirely now and getting everyone to move to a new Island server just because we feel this isn't going to be fixed. Something was changed in these smaller patches that did some serious damage.

Do you have a copy of the crash error message with .3? Would love to check it out.

Just now, Jatheish said:

Do you have a copy of the crash error message with .3? Would love to check it out.

I wish. The other admin in my community, Elle, reached out to you on Twitter. I'm going to contact our host at Arkservers.io to see if he can get me it. Is there a place I can send it if I do get it? Or just reply back here? Thanks for the reply, Jat.

You can copy the contents to www.pastebin.com and share it back here :)

If you guys are consistently getting the crash, having the save file, config files and command line would help so we can reproduce it on our end.

Just now, Jatheish said:

You can copy the contents to www.pastebin.com and share it back here :)

If you guys are consistently getting the crash, having the save file, config files and command line would help so we can reproduce it on our end.

I can definitely get the command line and save file for you, but I'll still try to get that crash dump. 

Just now, fr0st said:

I can definitely get the command line and save file for you, but I'll still try to get that crash dump. 

Cheers, and your repro consists of just going towards an individuals base? If possible, please include profile-saves too, as well as the game and gameusersettings.ini