Post How Long You've Played ARK

GerbilRex

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Steam tracking of hours "played" can be (and in most cases is) vastly incorrect. Many players left their client open for days AFKing during water float breeding exploit times, many players just left game open at title screen and Steam still counted that as time "played".

That's quite right. I know I've been AFK for some of those hours of mine, or just waiting on a tame or baby to grow up.

31 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Steam tracking of hours "played" can be (and in most cases is) vastly incorrect. Many players left their client open for days AFKing during water float breeding exploit times, many players just left game open at title screen and Steam still counted that as time "played".

26 minutes ago, GregoPeck said:

That's quite right. I know I've been AFK for some of those hours of mine, or just waiting on a tame or baby to grow up.

Steam doesn't always even log hours. One of my clusters is local only and doesn't show up on the Steam or Ark lists. I've noticed Steam don't always count the hours the account I use on that cluster is active.

Between Xbox, PC, and PS4 I've managed to rack up 4,300+ hours. 2,900+ go to Xbox, where I've played since release.

I've always played single player / non-dedicated, though I put in a short stint on a friend's dedicated. I have active games on all four maps on both consoles, and a slew of private games and recorded map saves on PC...

And, the vast majority of those hours are dedicated to breeding and raising my babies. I mention that as a nod to the "time played" discussion above...a lot of my hours are me sitting stationary in my homes, glued to my babies to do their imprinting and keep an eye on the troughs, leaving only to restock because two+ years of breeding experience has done nothing to alleviate my terrible fear that something could go wrong if I leave.

Experience and basic math be damned, I'm much, much more comfortable being right by their side, lol.

1 hour ago, DarthaNyan said:

Steam always counts as long as you have connection to the internet and game client is running. It doesnt matter what server you are playing at all. Thats true for all Steam games.

Pretty sure it counts hours in game, not hours the program is running. Otherwise you could just have the login screen open and rake up the hours.

8 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Pretty sure it counts hours in game, not hours the program is running. Otherwise you could just have the login screen open and rake up the hours.

Thats how many players lost their right to refund with Steam's "not more than 2 hours to try before refund" policy. And that again applies to all games.

As long as you see "<Gamename> - Running" in Steam, then it logs time. Instead of arguing try to launch ark, do not go further than title screen and let it sit in background without connecting anywhere for an hour or two. Steam will log those as "played".

8 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Thats how many players lost their right to refund with Steam's "not more than 2 hours to try before refund" policy. And that again applies to all games.

As long as you see "<Gamename> - Running" in Steam, then it logs time. Instead of arguing try to launch ark, do not go further than title screen and let it sit in background without connecting anywhere for an hour or two. Steam will log those as "played".

5 minutes ago, TracerBee said:

3631 hours on record. Started playing like 3 years ago (Approx) and took a break in middle.

And yeah DarthaNyan is right, that's how steam logs hours, i lost refunds to alot of games like that.

That is simply rediculous, and also definitely doesn't add up with my experience. I'd have 10x the hours logged in many games.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

If you are at the starting screen of ARK then Steam considers that as "in-game" because you have launched the game. So it will always add to your hours count. Steam doesn't care whether you are playing or not, just that you have the game running. I know quite a few people that have 8k+ hours because they leave it running for hours upon hours quite often at the start screen.

Archived