Expansion Packs

Monica9692

Hi, pretty new to ARK but absolutely loving it.

Had a question about expansion packs...

1) If I get expansion packs, am I able to play on them even though I have a saved file on The Island?

I am interested in getting the new expansion pack that is being or has been released this month (Aberration) for my PS4, not even sure if it will be available for ps4?

Yes, I realize these probably sound like a "noob" question but I barely know anything about this game/servers/etc

Thanks in advance!

Every new expansion pack that ends up being a new map will get it's own 'save file' for singleplayer. But you'll only get to play the map if you own the expansion (for example I don't own scorched earth but I see the option for it in singleplayer, just I can't actually load it).

Aberration isn't out yet, but it will be soonish (we suspect end of October but I'd guess November instead. Get use to delays when it comes to ARK, especially if you are on a PS4/consoles).

And yes Aberration will be available for PS4. When I dunno, but it will. Welcome to Ark!

1 hour ago, Ulta said:

Every new expansion pack that ends up being a new map will get it's own 'save file' for singleplayer. But you'll only get to play the map if you own the expansion (for example I don't own scorched earth but I see the option for it in singleplayer, just I can't actually load it).

Aberration isn't out yet, but it will be soonish (we suspect end of October but I'd guess November instead. Get use to delays when it comes to ARK, especially if you are on a PS4/consoles).

And yes Aberration will be available for PS4. When I dunno, but it will. Welcome to Ark!

Oh so when you start a new map fresh, everything will stay intact on the others?

1 hour ago, Monica9692 said:

Oh so when you start a new map fresh, everything will stay intact on the others?

In singleplayer yes. Your island save will still be there if you start a singleplayer abberation server. At least that's how it is for PC, and nothing on the wiki shows a difference for consoles. And I'd gather that you can transfer your character, items, and dinos between any of them too using the obelisks in-game (though I wouldn't recommend transfering the character. Items and dino's are fine, but it's just easier and less risky to make a new character on the new map).

8 hours ago, Daimon03 said:

Half Slab Bacon, based on what i’ve done you don’t need to ascend to play the payed dlc. The only ones which you have to ascend to beta level are The Center and Ragnarok. That’s means that with Scorched Earth and probably Abberation it comes out you can hop straight in when you start playing.

Great thank you! 

12 hours ago, Daimon03 said:

Half Slab Bacon, based on what i’ve done you don’t need to ascend to play the payed dlc. The only ones which you have to ascend to beta level are The Center and Ragnarok. That’s means that with Scorched Earth and probably Abberation it comes out you can hop straight in when you start playing.

12 hours ago, GP said:

AFAIK nothing has been confirmed yet in regards to how to access Aberration.

Going to Aberration is the closing scene after beating the Alpha Acension boss... Why you think that is? On official you'll be able to hop right in, but in SP & Unofficial they've set it up as a story progression... Gamma=Center, Beta=Ragnarok, Alpha=Aberration. ?

To access the new maps, go to the Island on single player and use the cheat command "ascension2". Bring up the command menu by pressing square +triangle + L1 + R1.

All maps have their own save files for single player, and another save file for non-dedicated or dedicated server. So you basically have 2 save files per map.

Season pass is definitely worth it if you love the story or want something new.

In essence, you can keep your single character from the Island and travel between the other maps, and bring your items and dinosaurs with you. Or you can have a single character per map and just transfer your items and dinos between the maps. Since it is single player it goes by gamertag (or whatever playstation calls it). I love how they did it, and how you can customize the game to your liking.

On October 8, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Ulta said:

Not only will it be delayed but it's $12 more on ps4!

3 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Going to Aberration is the closing scene after beating the Alpha Acension boss... Why you think that is? On official you'll be able to hop right in, but in SP & Unofficial they've set it up as a story progression... Gamma=Center, Beta=Ragnarok, Alpha=Aberration. ?

Why would you only be able to access Aberration through ascension? If we buy the dlc, we can play. If wildcard has us buy the map but we couldn't access it until ascension then I think a lot of people would be ticked off. 

1 hour ago, BlueFox91 said:

Why would you only be able to access Aberration through ascension? If we buy the dlc, we can play. If wildcard has us buy the map but we couldn't access it until ascension then I think a lot of people would be ticked off. 

He's saying that because on consoles, in order for them to play on the Center (at least. Dunno about Rag), you had to Ascend first to unlock the map on singleplayer (or use a cheatcode ot unlock it).

But I dunno if that's the case for rag, and I don't think it's the case for Scorched Earth. So Aberration probably won't need it.

10 minutes ago, Ulta said:

He's saying that because on consoles, in order for them to play on the Center (at least. Dunno about Rag), you had to Ascend first to unlock the map on singleplayer (or use a cheatcode ot unlock it).

But I dunno if that's the case for rag, and I don't think it's the case for Scorched Earth. So Aberration probably won't need it.

ah ok. Thanks for specifying. I do not own Ark on console or play single player so I was not aware of that information.

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Wrong, Unofficials are nothing like SP. Otherwise how do you explain that my Unofficial has Island and Ragnarok without having to do bosses?

Also you really expect them to sell a DLC where SP players can't access it until they finish the core game and/or cheat? Why didn't they do that with Scorched Earth?

Making it accesable after ascension would be real ****, alot of players wil never ascend or in even 1-2y. If it was like that I would never buy a expansion that requires me to complete a part of the game that wil not be accssable for me.  Good thing it is not like that, and i play on official servers... and i dont think wc will make an expension that they cannot sell ;)

14 hours ago, BlueFox91 said:

I believe that's what they are doing. You'll just have to use the cheat code acend 3 would be my guess.

9 hours ago, GP said:

Wrong, Unofficials are nothing like SP. Otherwise how do you explain that my Unofficial has Island and Ragnarok without having to do bosses?

Also you really expect them to sell a DLC where SP players can't access it until they finish the core game and/or cheat? Why didn't they do that with Scorched Earth?

My unofficials have Rag & Center as well as my Single player. Because I had them all previously set up I never had to enter any cheat codes, despite not having Acension.

They did however make the change for Rag & Center and I believe Aberration will be on that list. Scorched is the only one they have never mentioned or shown any indication of being tied to Acension.

• Volunteer Moderator
42 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

I believe that's what they are doing. You'll just have to use the cheat code acend 3 would be my guess.

My unofficials have Rag & Center as well as my Single player. Because I had them all previously set up I never had to enter any cheat codes, despite not having Acension.

They did however make the change for Rag & Center and I believe Aberration will be on that list. Scorched is the only one they have never mentioned or shown any indication of being tied to Acension.

That is single player only. If you have an unofficial server there is no ascension, no cheating required to play on Ragnarok. Hell you can set up a single unofficial server with Ragnarok on.

If people want to play ARK single player legitimately and buy Aberration it be rather unfair to have to either use cheats to ascend or wait until you ascend to play a DLC you paid for. Nobody should be forced to cheat or wait to play a DLC they've purchased. You could be right however, but nothing has been confirmed yet whatsoever. It never happened with the first paid DLC, it has only happened with the free maps, so right now based on it not happening with SE it makes sense it won't happen with Aberration.

But of course we won't know for sure until it's released.

3 minutes ago, GP said:

That is single player only. If you have an unofficial server there is no ascension, no cheating required to play on Ragnarok. Hell you can set up a single unofficial server with Ragnarok on.

If people want to play ARK single player legitimately and buy Aberration it be rather unfair to have to either use cheats to ascend or wait until you ascend to play a DLC you paid for. Nobody should be forced to cheat or wait to play a DLC they've purchased. You could be right however, but nothing has been confirmed yet whatsoever. It never happened with the first paid DLC, it has only happened with the free maps, so right now based on it not happening with SE it makes sense it won't happen with Aberration.

But of course we won't know for sure until it's released.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly that it makes no sense. It also makes no sense that they locked maps people were already playing on behind Acension. It also makes no sense that they omitted the changes from officials yet applied them elsewhere. This is however Wildcard we're dealing with. 

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, HalfSlabBacon said:

Oh I agree wholeheartedly that it makes no sense. It also makes no sense that they locked maps people were already playing on behind Acension. It also makes no sense that they omitted the changes from officials yet applied them elsewhere. This is however Wildcard we're dealing with. 

I believe it was intended for Single Player progression, like a storyline, which make sense to me. This is why it is not present on Officials or Unofficials.

4 minutes ago, GP said:

I believe it was intended for Single Player progression, like a storyline, which make sense to me. This is why it is not present on Officials or Unofficials.

Yes it's to do with story progression. This is why it makes sense that Aberration follows suit as the closing overseer scenes suggest. Still waiting to see how they tie Scorched in. It seems loosely linked to Rockwell's notes ATM, and that's it.

I seem to recall them saying in a tweet (Jen) that it was applied to single player and unofficials. Specifically that officials would not have the requirement. 

Don't ask me to find that source though, it's been months.

I personally was surprised when I checked for the change at the time in SP and wasn't locked out of my Rag world. No one on my servers mentioned any issues either. I assumed it was because the characters already had data on each map, but who knows. Maybe it was never implemented properly.

Archived