Are player taming "habits" directly related to wild dinos?

Th3lu

I'm back again :) , and I have another question for you vet survivors here on the forums.

So I was wondering if the taming habits of other players or whole servers in general have an effect on the wild dino spawns on a server. What I mean is me and my tribe have a very hard time finding certain dinos at high levels in the wild. An example is the megatherium. We have looked for almost two weeks now and have not found one above 95. Now there are a lot of ppl on my server who tend to tame low. Meaning they tame par level fifty or lower. I was wondering if the fact  that most tamed dinos on our server are indeed well below level cap for wild means even after me and my tribe "wipe" said spawn points that indeed the dinos will still spawn par the "average" tame of the server even thou we like to tame high?

I just wonder as I have played on 2 other officials and this seems to have some coalition as one of the other official we played on was a low tame server and we would spend 4-5 hours a day wiping spawns just to get one par level 100. The other server shared in our affinity for high lvl tames and after about 3 weeks of that server being open nothing spawned below 75. Even the dinky stuff like dodos on that server spawned in at 125 plus.

I was just wondering is there indeed a relation to the way a server tames versus the way or level dinos will spawn? If anyone knows or has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. I may be looking into the issue to much as in we just have bad luck or timing but all in all I would like to know if there is that relationship there so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks for any helpful answers in advance.

There has been no evidence of WC putting in some sort of code that would do such a thing, so no. As far as we know, the wild spawns are purely RNG.

It just sounds like you've just been having poor luck. If there's a lot of other players on who you know are taming in the area the dino you are looking for is, chances are, they are finding those high levels and grabbing them before you do. Not even people looking for mid or low levels would turn their nose away to a 150 or 145. You'd be insane not to if you have the taming supplies on you already.

Just keep looking. If you are on the Island, Megatheriums spawn in moderate numbers in the snow biome, and I see them in the Redwoods too fairly often. Eventually you'll find one. Just remember, Ark is a numbers game. You'll get lucky RNG spawn roll one of these days in finding what you seek. Otherwise, trade for one. That's an option as well.

2 minutes ago, Ulta said:

There has been no evidence of WC putting in some sort of code that would do such a thing, so no. As far as we know, the wild spawns are purely RNG.

It just sounds like you've just been having poor luck. If there's a lot of other players on who you know are taming in the area the dino you are looking for is, chances are, they are finding those high levels and grabbing them before you do. Not even people looking for mid or low levels would turn their nose away to a 150 or 145. You'd be insane not to if you have the taming supplies on you already.

Just keep looking. If you are on the Island, Megatheriums spawn in moderate numbers in the snow biome, and I see them in the Redwoods too fairly often. Eventually you'll find one. Just remember, Ark is a numbers game. You'll get lucky RNG spawn roll one of these days in finding what you seek. Otherwise, trade for one. That's an option as well.

See I thought that I might be looking into it too much or just in wrong spots but I am in the snow and redwoods faithfully to no avail. Furthermore other ppl on my server are experiencing this issue with other dinos as well not just the mega. IDK maybe the RNG is bad but I just find it hard to believe that out of all the spawns of those things there has been only 1 150 across the whole server or worse off 4 lvl 150 rexes and the server has been open almost 2 months. Literally ppl on the server have confirmed they are not getting high dinos no matter what they are after whole spawn wipes.

But ty all the same I wish I could buy one at this rate but like I said only I guy on our server has a 150 and no mate so.

8 minutes ago, Th3lu said:

See I thought that I might be looking into it too much or just in wrong spots but I am in the snow and redwoods faithfully to no avail. Furthermore other ppl on my server are experiencing this issue with other dinos as well not just the mega. IDK maybe the RNG is bad but I just find it hard to believe that out of all the spawns of those things there has been only 1 150 across the whole server or worse off 4 lvl 150 rexes and the server has been open almost 2 months. Literally ppl on the server have confirmed they are not getting high dinos no matter what they are after whole spawn wipes.

But ty all the same I wish I could buy one at this rate but like I said only I guy on our server has a 150 and no mate so.

It is RNG based however each map has a weighted range. The island for example weighs high level Dino's as a rare spawn with medium the most common. Ragnarok weighs high level as most common. So as a rule you'll find more level 50-100 Dino's on the Island and anything above 100 will be rarer.

1 minute ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

It is RNG based however each map has a weighted range. The island for example weighs high level Dino's as a rare spawn with medium the most common. Ragnarok weighs high level as most common. So as a rule you'll find more level 50-100 Dino's on the Island and anything above 100 will be rarer.

Ok I understand that. So since the island is like a starter map so to speak the spawns will be lower. Where as with ragnarok being a newer or more advanced map the dinos will be higher. In a sense if you have been playing ark for a while you will more likely play the more advanced map for the challenge as you don't know everything about it and those have higher dinos to go along with that experience. Ok, ty for that, that does make more sense to me.

Also u may have people doing meat runs, lvling dinos and things like that and they may be unintentionally killing these high lvl dinos u all are unable to find. As someone else said the island is geared for beginners and commonly u find more lower lvl dinos. For example when I played on the center the lowest lvl dinos u could find were lvl 15. On the island u can find lvl5s. 

19 minutes ago, Th3lu said:

Yes this makes better sense indeed. I do appreciate you Xemp and Halfslab for breaking it down that way. I just was so confused as to why I could like never find a 150 or even a 100 or higher. Dooley noted and again ty both very much. I may need to give Ragnarok a try now , lol.

Glad to help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so OP, I don't think you're crazy and I think you're correct.  THIS IS ALL BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

Way back before server transfers were a thing on officials, I alpha'd an Island server.  Was fun times.  Gigas, however, NEVER spawned.  We'd go a month with no giga spawns and then out of nowhere, we'd get maybe 3 gigas over the weekend.  Typically low level ones.   Fast forward to 2 weeks before Center dropped and a massive server-wide war broke out.  Our side had 8 gigas, mostly bred, there side had 5 gigas, all tamed.  In the end, we had 6 gigas left and no one else on the server had a giga.  Over the next two weeks, gigas spawned like mad.  I tamed a 90, a 115 and a 75.  Also, we killed about 2 dozen of their quetz and lost maybe 6 of our 20.  After the war, high level quetz were everywhere.  Before this you'd maybe find 1 level 90+ per month, if that.

Given the above, I honestly think there's some kind of weighting going on with spawns compared to what's already been tamed.   Or, at least, there was before server transfers.

12 minutes ago, Brayn said:

Ok so OP, I don't think you're crazy and I think you're correct.  THIS IS ALL BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

Way back before server transfers were a thing on officials, I alpha'd an Island server.  Was fun times.  Gigas, however, NEVER spawned.  We'd go a month with no giga spawns and then out of nowhere, we'd get maybe 3 gigas over the weekend.  Typically low level ones.   Fast forward to 2 weeks before Center dropped and a massive server-wide war broke out.  Our side had 8 gigas, mostly bred, there side had 5 gigas, all tamed.  In the end, we had 6 gigas left and no one else on the server had a giga.  Over the next two weeks, gigas spawned like mad.  I tamed a 90, a 115 and a 75.  Also, we killed about 2 dozen of their quetz and lost maybe 6 of our 20.  After the war, high level quetz were everywhere.  Before this you'd maybe find 1 level 90+ per month, if that.

Given the above, I honestly think there's some kind of weighting going on with spawns compared to what's already been tamed.   Or, at least, there was before server transfers.

Maybe this was or wasn't true back then, but the Center was released a looong time ago. To say that still holds true today isn't really conductive to the OP's query. Many things have changed since then.

I myself have had no experience with any odd spawning weights or the like. And as mentioned, there's no code in the dev kit for such to happen. It's RNG, pure and simple. You probably just experienced an odd 'bug' with the spawn weights that later got corrected.

@Th3lu

As previously stated, different maps have different spawn rates, island spawns toooooons of lvl5-95s, and few rare 100-150s.... on the other hand, ragnarok spawns mostly 100-150s with a few 5-95s...

Furthermore, there is no code that implies any official island server spawns dinos differently than any other official island server. It's purely RNG.

My advise to you, would be to take out a wyvern or Rex and slaughter literally as many of the Dino you are looking to find as a high level. Check it's lvl and if it's not 135+, kill it. The more sloths you kill, the more sloths spawn. Don't just wait for Dino wipes.

@Brayn the situation you experienced, was almost certainly just blocked giga spawn points. Then in the war, some foundations and bases may have been destroyed opening the spawn points back up. For quetz, it's important to note that they share a spawn with tapaj, so unless you are purging them too, you won't get more quetz spawns. If you purge all wild quetz and tapaj, and sit at a quetz spawn point killing them off, you can see 30+ spawn over several hours.

edit: I hope this helps :) cheers

As far as not finding high levels... every time I went out I my giga I realized high level stuff spawns all the time, right after I ate it. lol

Maybe put an outpost near the spawn points and work from there for a while. Every day when you get on spyglass some stuff. I found so many high level mammoths, rhinos, rexes (before the yuty), yutis, wolves, etc when I build a base in the winter biome because I was there all the time. I would just pop on the roof and spyglass everything on a regular basis. 2 or 3 times a week I passively got a 140+ something.

7 hours ago, Brayn said:

Spoiler

On 8/10/2017 at 5:24 PM, Th3lu said:

I'm back again :) , and I have another question for you vet survivors here on the forums.

Spoiler

So I was wondering if the taming habits of other players or whole servers in general have an effect on the wild dino spawns on a server. What I mean is me and my tribe have a very hard time finding certain dinos at high levels in the wild. An example is the megatherium. We have looked for almost two weeks now and have not found one above 95. Now there are a lot of ppl on my server who tend to tame low. Meaning they tame par level fifty or lower. I was wondering if the fact  that most tamed dinos on our server are indeed well below level cap for wild means even after me and my tribe "wipe" said spawn points that indeed the dinos will still spawn par the "average" tame of the server even thou we like to tame high?

I just wonder as I have played on 2 other officials and this seems to have some coalition as one of the other official we played on was a low tame server and we would spend 4-5 hours a day wiping spawns just to get one par level 100. The other server shared in our affinity for high lvl tames and after about 3 weeks of that server being open nothing spawned below 75. Even the dinky stuff like dodos on that server spawned in at 125 plus.

I was just wondering is there indeed a relation to the way a server tames versus the way or level dinos will spawn? If anyone knows or has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. I may be looking into the issue to much as in we just have bad luck or timing but all in all I would like to know if there is that relationship there so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks for any helpful answers in advance.

Like many people have said before, the Island spawns are more inclined to lower levels whereas ragnarok has higher levels as barely uncommon. I highly doubt the average tames affecting the wild spawns, if that were the case, how would transferred dinos affect this, because I have yet to find any identifier in a tame that points out to place of origin of the tame, how would breeding take a part in it?, etc. 
It looks way more complicated to be honest, and as evidence to counter the arguement, in my island server which has quite a few tribes with high level tamed rexes, I hardly ever find any 130+, they are there (hell, a 145 spawned in my yard last night before I went to sleep), but it's still uncommon. It's RNG, weighted towards low level spawns, but still RNG. The only way you have to influenciate into it, is to force spawns by killing like you mentioned you were doing, and hope for high levels to appear. Or just go Rag

Archived