Attempting to tame a Yutyrannus as a first tame on ARK

KeyboardCat

1 hour ago, Dustrider said:

As your first kill? Brand new to the game? I'm not saying he can't find a yut and tame it. I'm saying that the possibility of it being his first tame ever is nearly impossible. No assistance from tames...which means he will be on foot carrying everything he will need. Then he will be meat taming it because he will have no kibble or mutton. I'm not mocking him, it's admirable that he is being bold. However, unless you have someone else assisting or you are playing with boosted rates/taming speed then this will be pretty much impossible. If he can do it more power to him!

I wouldn't say it is impossible. I know for a fact I could do it and it would be easy. A 2x6 stone ramp trap, with a well stocked bin to the side... that beast is mine.

It's all the tedious gathering before hand. Not hours... days. Hunting small game for the meat... letting it spoil to make the tranq... gathing thousands of narco berries.

Then get the stone trap setup in a spawn zone... all while looking out for the predators that will ghost you over and over and over during this process. And food and water.

It's the logistics ... I guess the challenge would be to want to keep playing during that time.

Oh... and getting to a level where you can saddle it afterwards! 

I think a Dire Wolf is a bold first tame. It's murder candy for a low level, but legit crazy useful out of the box.

You can find Yuts at the edge of the snow north of the hidden lake. They sometimes wander out of the snow and get semi-stuck in the ravine that runs parallel to the hidden lake on its west side. That ravine will help a lot in your task, you just have to find a server where it is not already built upon or pillared off. Easiest way to find a yut would be on a raft scouting the edge of the snow (they hang out on the shoreline just past all the little icebergs).

19 minutes ago, KeyboardCat said:

The raft scouting suggestion gave me an idea... Would a Yutyrannus go into the water, or stay on the shore??? If they stayed on the shore, i could set up a mini base on my raft, take out the carnos, and knock the Yutyrannus out.

You realize that by attempting this, even if you pull it off, you'll end up with a crap Yuty that will just end up getting killed in no time right?

1. Level up to mid 30s on island

2. Make a boat with a ramp leading into a stone pit

3. lure Yuti in it and let it eat you. 

4. respawn on your bed on your boat

5. tranq it/tame it

The advantage is with a boat you can have a bunch of fires to keep you warm without the need of fur gear. You can have a preserving bin for the meat you will be taming it with as well as storage for narcotics. This wont be easy. Make SURE your boat deck has stone ceilings on it your the Yuti will damage/sink you boat when its in your taming pit.

Heehee - good luck. *chuckles* this ain't Minecraft.

Step 1: Buy Ark first.

Chances are good you'll abandon this quest - even finding a Yutyrranus in snow, while on foot with a low viewpoint will be a challenge.  And getting back there each time you die, possibly from the cold even before you find one will be a hard slog.

However, there are a couple of Yuty's out on the desert islands on Ragnarok - at least you wouldn't die of cold.  But you ain't swimming there. Plenty of nasties in the water.

But if a friend takes you over the water, take a small shelter and bed, so you can respawn at least close by, you might have a chance.

5 hours ago, Dustrider said:

As your first kill? Brand new to the game? I'm not saying he can't find a yut and tame it. I'm saying that the possibility of it being his first tame ever is nearly impossible. No assistance from tames...which means he will be on foot carrying everything he will need. Then he will be meat taming it because he will have no kibble or mutton. I'm not mocking him, it's admirable that he is being bold. However, unless you have someone else assisting or you are playing with boosted rates/taming speed then this will be pretty much impossible. If he can do it more power to him!

Hell no but probably like the first big kill but my point is if theres a will there is a way. 

You can do it, my friend and I did something similar but we were very lucky. I will add that we already had tames at this stage, but we didn't use any of them in the process of getting the Yuty because they were were pretty useless to us.

What happened was, a wild 110 Yuty was roaming around by some bases not too far from us. This is Scorched Earth official PvE. It would repeatedly aggro on some spiked walls until we got close enough to draw it's attention or we shot it from a distance and ran etc. It would always go back to these damn spikes, so we figured it would be safe enough for us to build a trap for it and lure it in. This was on a 2x weekend so getting all the stone wasn't too bad. We built up a decent sized pen (couple of doors at the bottom to shoot inside), put ramps so the Yuty would run up and drop into the pen and 'got naked' so to speak (didn't want to lose our stuff as we knew there would be deaths in this process!) ready to attempt to lure it in. It took a fair bit of time but eventually we managed to get it to follow us across a lake and into the corridor (between 2 opposing hills) that led to our pen. It actually ran in first time but prior to that, we had indeed died a lot. It didn't help that we encountered a sand storm and there were also some sabre's on the ledge above the corridor that we hadn't seen and they came bounding down to join the fun too.

Once inside the pen it was fairly straightforward. Took a long time, we had no mutton or kibble so were desperately scouring for prime meat as best we could. Eventually we got it and of course, about a week later they re-purposed the server so we lost it all :P

Anyway - it's possible but like I said, you'd need to be very lucky. We were super lucky because one spawned (or roamed) not too far from us - if you've got to go looking, because of the areas they spawn in you're going to encounter a lot of other things in the process that will either kill you or mean you use up a load of resources to get past them. Simply even locating one and getting to it will be tricky nevermind getting it down once you have eyes on one.

Yutu was one my first tame at scorched. Had not much use of it. It was killed the day after by a golem. Think its better to wait til you can craft or get saddle from someone or at lest have a base to put it in . Nothing hard with ko, just find someone trpped or down a hill and shoot.

I found several around red obelisk and always knock out it before taking care of carnos etc.

But on The island I think its harder without furclothes etc

If your first tame is not a ptera or raptor or something, then I would definitely suggest investing in movement speed.  A bunch of movement speed will make kiting things on foot significantly easier.

I agree with what others have said about Yutyrannus being one of the highest risk, lowest reward tames you could choose for your first tame.  But I also think that makes it an awesome challenge - so, go for it! :)

On 10/7/2017 at 1:38 PM, KeyboardCat said:

So, the title pretty much explains the general idea of this thread. I currently don't have ARK, but i plan to buy it. I've done hours of research, watched videos, and looked at the wiki. And, i decided, that i want to tame a Yutyrannus as my first tamed animal ever on ark (Bragging rights, mostly, lol). I'd appreciate advice about how to go about doing this, what supplies i should need, the average level for a wild yutyrannus, and strategies for low level traps. It might seem a bit crazy, but it's worth a shot.

lmaooo ur cute.

On a more serious note, I would suggest building a a small stone house/pen for yourself and shoot at the yuty from the inside. Take care of the carnos first with arrows. As the yuty flees, go after it and shoot it.

There are a lot of long replies and I'm not sure if it was said before now. If not, I will say it. That is a level 80 Saddle. Even if you do tame it, which don't get me wrong, with the right trap made of stone and nearby water to lure the carno it is quite possible. Its just likely it will die without a rider to maneuver it through the terrain that you find it in on any map. Good luck to you though. I hope it works and you get it back safely. :)

Archived