Attempting to tame a Yutyrannus as a first tame on ARK

KeyboardCat

So, the title pretty much explains the general idea of this thread. I currently don't have ARK, but i plan to buy it. I've done hours of research, watched videos, and looked at the wiki. And, i decided, that i want to tame a Yutyrannus as my first tamed animal ever on ark (Bragging rights, mostly, lol). I'd appreciate advice about how to go about doing this, what supplies i should need, the average level for a wild yutyrannus, and strategies for low level traps. It might seem a bit crazy, but it's worth a shot.

5 minutes ago, KeyboardCat said:

So, the title pretty much explains the general idea of this thread. I currently don't have ARK, but i plan to buy it. I've done hours of research, watched videos, and looked at the wiki. And, i decided, that i want to tame a Yutyrannus as my first tamed animal ever on ark (Bragging rights, mostly, lol). I'd appreciate advice about how to go about doing this, what supplies i should need, the average level for a wild yutyrannus, and strategies for low level traps. It might seem a bit crazy, but it's worth a shot.

It's a bold first tame since they are mostly surrounded by Carno's in addition.

Map is going to be a big factor as well. If on the Island you'll need snow gear. if on ragnarok you'll either need snow gear or there are a couple in the scorched island and that weather is fair with a few warm spells, on Scorched they are in the mountains but Scorch is hot overall so desert gear or ghillie are your friends, I do not know their locations on the Center. 

Additional hazard's are a big thing to watch out for. Direwolves, sabertooths, daedon's, scorpions, centipedes, titanoboas, golem's, argentavis', giga's, thorny dragon's, carno's, extreme weather conditions that affect your thirst/hunger and health. 

Supply up;

Since you'll have no other tames you need the appropriate armor, discussed above, a crossbow (longneck preferred but guessing early game), tranq arrows, narcotics, mutton, prime, or raw meat to feed it (this will depend on level. if you want to go for a 140+ (assuming official here) then mutton is key and you can't tame the sheep beforehand so you will have to search for two maybe three since most likely you will be using a pick axe to harvest, two if have a chainsaw, and they are rare depending again on map and area. Mutton gives you a 2 and half hour tame timer on normal rates, if you go the prime meat route you'll be running around killing animals as well, a lot of animal's. you need 96 prime meat (for a level 140), so you'll need pikes, pick axes, and bullets or regular arrows to kill things like Stego's, Bronto's, Paracer's, Hyena's, Rex's, other Yutyrannus' to which drop between 1 and 3 prime meat with those tools at a time. That is a 3 hour tame time. If you want to use raw meat. You can kill anything but it turns into a 9 hour tame time. 

Based on that I think you'll be looking for something in the level 50 area. You'll do a combo of raw and prime meat unless you happen upon an ovis. That time frame will put you around 2 and half hours to 3 hours (1 and half hours using prime, 4 hours using raw). You'll need around 500 narcotics at a minimum, 50 tranq arrows (to account for misses and better to over prepare. I'd actually recommend 100), 10-12 spike walls as once its down lots of things will attack to try and eat it. Spike walls won't help against titanoboas, rex's, or carno's though. if they want in they'll get in. 2x crossbow (chance first one breaks) 200 regular arrows, pick axe (use to harvest meat), hatchet, pike, campfire(s) if in cold area (can make these if area is cleared of dangers), water bottle/canteen, cooked meat or preferably jerky. I'd say 3 to 4 stacks of this, dododex or survivor companion app for taming reference, and your head on swivel. it's going to turn day and night a lot so you'll be fighting the odds definitely. 

Strategy, you will need to kill the Carno's. Not easy as there is usually at least one high level and they are getting damage resistance and damage output buffed. There are a couple different traps you could try to use and kite it into (they have good speed mind you) and I'd recommend looking at youtube for a good design. If you want to do it man vs nature though, your best odds are a higher cliff face but not one that lets it come completely underneath of you so you have no shots, you have no headshot multipliers so just keep firing tranq arrows into anything that is exposed, eventually it will try to run away from you, then you have to give chase and just keep firing but be aware because it's going to run to some dangerous areas. Once it is down (if not in a trap), immediately start placing spike walls. You should ideally have 4 to 5 extra's as you are going to have to run around killing animal's then coming back and placing meat in it's inventory and to get enough meat including spoilage you'll need to do it 3 or 4 times. Drop 100 narcs in it then go hunting for its food. A level 50 will take 130 raw meat or 44 prime meat. You can let it starve down so it consumes more meat at once and it's preferable so not to waste food if it would get killed and prime spoils kind of fast. Same with the narcotics, keep them on you except for what you use. since using combo prime and raw my suggestion is just to run around and kill a lot of animals, get the meat, bring it back, put it in the Yuty's inventory, spam 100 narcotics each time. Give a few minutes to rest check your progress then head back out and do it again. 

Additionally bring some sleeping bags for if you get killed while out hunting for meat you have a place to spawn and try to get your stuff back and continue the taming. Just place them with in the spike walls once the yuty is down. I'd recommend at least 3. Place 1 pre tame in case it all goes wrong and two while taming. 

Once you finish the tame, whistle neutral and hopefully you have a saddle if not have it follow you and while neutral it will protect you if you get attacked. 

Walk into your community like a gangsta showcasing your new first tame. 

Good luck. 

(again all of this is based upon playing on official's. If done on single player it depends on how you set the paraeter's, the same if playing on an unofficial it then depends on how they set the parameters. )

I've only ever seen people lure them into traps while on a flyer, so I'm not sure how to go about it on foot. If you pull it off you should have it recording because that would be very impressive. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes. You may want to have a few friends or others on your server provide some assistance. Solo would be painfully difficult

1 minute ago, RoyHess666 said:

It took me many hits with a good longneck rifle and tranq darts on a level 120 Yutyrannus, I gave it cooked mutton, since I had no raw mutton and no Kentrosaurus kibble at hand due to the lack of Kentro eggs :(
did all that on Scorched Earth while streaming to Twitch D:

That's painful. My first one was pre-mutton nerf. A level 145 but we were insanely prepared. ASC Longneck Rifles with 214 dmg, this was on the island and we trapped her in the river and pelted her from both sides after killing her Carno's with Wyvern's. Once she started to run, I hopped over to the other side of the river let her get on land enough and we finished putting her down. Then we put spike walls around, dropped a level 90 sloth next to her and tamed them both up at the same time. I had a small snow base up the river a little so once they were starved down enough I flew back there slaughtered an Ovis with a MC chainsaw (130 mutton), flew back down and boom Yuty (almost perfect tame since mutton was only one level difference) and a Sloth to boot. 

Got her to about 22k HP and 3100 stam before we went down in the first medium brood, also pre-buff and pre-nerf. 

Attempting it with no dino, that shall be a feat. 

It will be amazingly difficult and boring to do it as your first tame. You need to be level 80 for the saddle, fur armor so you do not die (so many kills of pelt animals), a way to travel and avoid hostiles which is practically impossible on foot, and materials to knock out and tame it which would require other dinosaurs for harvesting the resources.

If you are adamant on it being your first dinosaur, go on Single Player and use the commands so you do not die, or get chummy with some decent and friendly tribes on official and they will set it up for you. My tribe set me up with taming a Stegosaurus my first day playing on Official so it is possible.

Average level from my experience is in the 70's. Low level trap is the 2x2 or 3x3 foundations surrounded by stone doorways, two levels high. Four wood ramps on one side to kite it in to the trap so it cannot escape, then you can tranquilize it at safety with a crossbow or a rifle. Not only do you have to find a way to remove the three Carnotaurus that it spawns with, you also have to avoid the myriad of other carnivores that are packed in the spawn area for Yutyrannus. This is where you would normally need a strong dinosaur or a tribe, as it will take a long time to tame the dinosaur and you will need to protect it. I say a long time as it has the most expensive kibble item, and thus you will have to use meat to tame it (as you need to bring a sheep for mutton or harvest and move quickly with prime you are probably stuck doing just meat).

It would be better use of your time playing normally, then searching for level 140+ Yutyrannuses, and doing a breeding program to get alternate colors and better stats. Bragging rights only hold value to those who value them.

The easiest way might be to build a pen to trap them in and let the bottom layers of the pen be door ways so you can shoot the Yuty and Carnos. Not sure how you are going to get them in without the use of other dinos though. Good luck with it I'm interested to see if you figure out a way.

As others have pointed out, your goal will be nearly impossible if playing on official servers. The amount of gear you would need to tame one while on foot all the while scouting for one and not being killed by something else makes your goal pretty much unobtainable. 

You ever play fallout? If so, a good analology would be killing a deathclaw as your first kill with no power armor. It ain't going to happen without help or cheats. 

1 hour ago, Dustrider said:

As others have pointed out, your goal will be nearly impossible if playing on official servers. The amount of gear you would need to tame one while on foot all the while scouting for one and not being killed by something else makes your goal pretty much unobtainable. 

You ever play fallout? If so, a good analology would be killing a deathclaw as your first kill with no power armor. It ain't going to happen without help or cheats. 

There's a big difference between impossible, and nearly impossible.

10 hours ago, anubis3691 said:

Just want to point out for this future player, the saddle is lvl 80 locked. So unless someone else makes it, you won't be able to ride the Dino anytime soon.

Yeah but even unridden, they're a super decent guard.
Have a dimorphodon (tame group'd) on aggro on your shoulder and a Yutyrannus following you.

The Yutyrannus will scare many potential predators away and/or kill them.

I mean who travels alone through all them dangerous places anyways, right? RIGHT? : - D

Well, you won't be able to ride it without the lvl 80 saddle. And it's expensive to craft for a low level. You'll need a raptorload(or stuff to repair them) of bows(10+), arrows(500-2000), tranq arrows(200) as well as narcotics/narcoberries to keep it knocked out. You'll be constantly dying from cold due to the environment. You'll be completely surrounded by hostiles that you can't outrun. It'll take 20-300 arrows to kill 1 of the many hostiles around you. You'll need to heavily invest in the weight stat purely to carry the stuff you'll need.

You're really just better off taming things normally and working up. If you do that, you will definitely tame a Yutyrannus faster than if you tried to tame one as your first tame.

You'll need levels not only for the saddle, but for the combination of fort, movement speed, weight, and likely stam and melee for this to be feasible given yutyrannus tend to live in really hostile biomes. 

You could amass the resources to do this on an official server, but it would be a massive waste of time since itll probably mean re-basing from easy spawns to tundra so that a smithy or spare weapons and ammo will be close at hand. Single player obviously you can just throw a bunch of spare gear in a box.

Realistically I'd recommend trying to tame one below level 25 unless you really want to fight a bunch of heinous poop with a spear for 6 hours straight with pathetic taming efficiency. That way you can move on to taming something useful a little quicker.

18 hours ago, KeyboardCat said:

Do you guys think i should try going to the snow biome, or the redwood forest to search for Yutyrannuses???

Neither... You should try learning to walk in ARK before you think you can run. Yuty is a late game tame. But have fun repeatedly dying and losing all you stuff, that's part of the learning curve anyways.

22 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

It's a bold first tame since they are mostly surrounded by Carno's in addition.

Map is going to be a big factor as well. If on the Island you'll need snow gear. if on ragnarok you'll either need snow gear or there are a couple in the scorched island and that weather is fair with a few warm spells, on Scorched they are in the mountains but Scorch is hot overall so desert gear or ghillie are your friends, I do not know their locations on the Center. 

Additional hazard's are a big thing to watch out for. Direwolves, sabertooths, daedon's, scorpions, centipedes, titanoboas, golem's, argentavis', giga's, thorny dragon's, carno's, extreme weather conditions that affect your thirst/hunger and health. 

Supply up;

Since you'll have no other tames you need the appropriate armor, discussed above, a crossbow (longneck preferred but guessing early game), tranq arrows, narcotics, mutton, prime, or raw meat to feed it (this will depend on level. if you want to go for a 140+ (assuming official here) then mutton is key and you can't tame the sheep beforehand so you will have to search for two maybe three since most likely you will be using a pick axe to harvest, two if have a chainsaw, and they are rare depending again on map and area. Mutton gives you a 2 and half hour tame timer on normal rates, if you go the prime meat route you'll be running around killing animals as well, a lot of animal's. you need 96 prime meat (for a level 140), so you'll need pikes, pick axes, and bullets or regular arrows to kill things like Stego's, Bronto's, Paracer's, Hyena's, Rex's, other Yutyrannus' to which drop between 1 and 3 prime meat with those tools at a time. That is a 3 hour tame time. If you want to use raw meat. You can kill anything but it turns into a 9 hour tame time. 

Based on that I think you'll be looking for something in the level 50 area. You'll do a combo of raw and prime meat unless you happen upon an ovis. That time frame will put you around 2 and half hours to 3 hours (1 and half hours using prime, 4 hours using raw). You'll need around 500 narcotics at a minimum, 50 tranq arrows (to account for misses and better to over prepare. I'd actually recommend 100), 10-12 spike walls as once its down lots of things will attack to try and eat it. Spike walls won't help against titanoboas, rex's, or carno's though. if they want in they'll get in. 2x crossbow (chance first one breaks) 200 regular arrows, pick axe (use to harvest meat), hatchet, pike, campfire(s) if in cold area (can make these if area is cleared of dangers), water bottle/canteen, cooked meat or preferably jerky. I'd say 3 to 4 stacks of this, dododex or survivor companion app for taming reference, and your head on swivel. it's going to turn day and night a lot so you'll be fighting the odds definitely. 

Strategy, you will need to kill the Carno's. Not easy as there is usually at least one high level and they are getting damage resistance and damage output buffed. There are a couple different traps you could try to use and kite it into (they have good speed mind you) and I'd recommend looking at youtube for a good design. If you want to do it man vs nature though, your best odds are a higher cliff face but not one that lets it come completely underneath of you so you have no shots, you have no headshot multipliers so just keep firing tranq arrows into anything that is exposed, eventually it will try to run away from you, then you have to give chase and just keep firing but be aware because it's going to run to some dangerous areas. Once it is down (if not in a trap), immediately start placing spike walls. You should ideally have 4 to 5 extra's as you are going to have to run around killing animal's then coming back and placing meat in it's inventory and to get enough meat including spoilage you'll need to do it 3 or 4 times. Drop 100 narcs in it then go hunting for its food. A level 50 will take 130 raw meat or 44 prime meat. You can let it starve down so it consumes more meat at once and it's preferable so not to waste food if it would get killed and prime spoils kind of fast. Same with the narcotics, keep them on you except for what you use. since using combo prime and raw my suggestion is just to run around and kill a lot of animals, get the meat, bring it back, put it in the Yuty's inventory, spam 100 narcotics each time. Give a few minutes to rest check your progress then head back out and do it again. 

Additionally bring some sleeping bags for if you get killed while out hunting for meat you have a place to spawn and try to get your stuff back and continue the taming. Just place them with in the spike walls once the yuty is down. I'd recommend at least 3. Place 1 pre tame in case it all goes wrong and two while taming. 

Once you finish the tame, whistle neutral and hopefully you have a saddle if not have it follow you and while neutral it will protect you if you get attacked. 

Walk into your community like a gangsta showcasing your new first tame. 

Good luck. 

(again all of this is based upon playing on official's. If done on single player it depends on how you set the paraeter's, the same if playing on an unofficial it then depends on how they set the parameters. )

I just wanna give some love to this post...

... It's so sincere. The only way I could improve these instructions would be to add "which will take you hours and hours of grinding without the use of other tames" at the end over nearly every sentence. It's like detailed instructions on how to build a pencil from scratch.

15 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

I just wanna give some love to this post...

... It's so sincere. The only way I could improve these instructions would be to add "which will take you hours and hours of grinding without the use of other tames" at the end over nearly every sentence. It's like detailed instructions on how to build a pencil from scratch.

Yeah, like if you want an early game challenge, just try knocking a 100-150 trike out with a slingshot, without getting yourself or it killed! 

Maybe watch some videos about ARK so you can see that starting out is difficult enough for new players. Us vets that have been playing for 2+ years now make it look way easier then it actually is when we post videos. 

I understand it's going to be very difficult. I might be crazy, i might be just plain stupid. It might be impossible. but hey, screw it, better to try, than to regret not trying when i had the chance. And, to be honest, even if all this stuff takes hours, i have way too much free time on my hands, and this is better than being bored, lol.

8 minutes ago, KeyboardCat said:

I understand it's going to be very difficult. I might be crazy, i might be just plain stupid. It might be impossible. but hey, f*** it, better to try, than to regret not trying when i had the chance. And, to be honest, even if all this stuff takes hours, i have way too much free time on my hands, and this is better than being bored, lol.

Hehehe... dude... you must be goofing on us. The math on hand gathering enough spoiled meat and narco-berries for the tranq arrows, then keeping it down... and fed... is crazy.  Yeah, it can be done... but it isn't a challenge. It requires ZERO extra skill. It's choosing tedium over efficiency and effectiveness. It is the equivalent of saying "I'm going to create an epic stone castle w/o tames... by hand picking up stone from the beach". 

Now... bringing down a Yuti with a horde of high level, max bred and imprinted Dodos... that would be epic.

On 10/7/2017 at 6:39 PM, SwishPapaSweets said:

I killed a deathclaw without power armor or any heavy weapons. It's hard but possible to find a yut and tame it. 

As your first kill? Brand new to the game? I'm not saying he can't find a yut and tame it. I'm saying that the possibility of it being his first tame ever is nearly impossible. No assistance from tames...which means he will be on foot carrying everything he will need. Then he will be meat taming it because he will have no kibble or mutton. I'm not mocking him, it's admirable that he is being bold. However, unless you have someone else assisting or you are playing with boosted rates/taming speed then this will be pretty much impossible. If he can do it more power to him!

1 hour ago, Dustrider said:

As your first kill? Brand new to the game? I'm not saying he can't find a yut and tame it. I'm saying that the possibility of it being his first tame ever is nearly impossible. No assistance from tames...which means he will be on foot carrying everything he will need. Then he will be meat taming it because he will have no kibble or mutton. I'm not mocking him, it's admirable that he is being bold. However, unless you have someone else assisting or you are playing with boosted rates/taming speed then this will be pretty much impossible. If he can do it more power to him!

I'd argue it's more like climbing the stairs to the top floor of a 200 story building so you can take the elevator to the basement... Possible, but just completely illogical as well as unnecessarily difficult and time consuming.

Archived