Best way to build a big base?

TheSnives

I'm kinda of a history/fantasy nerd so every time I want to build a base the only design I can imagine is a huge sprawling city. Now, I've recently started on ragnarok and have a trike, argy, Petra, and a bunch of jerboas and I'm ready to start working on my beautiful city. However, I need to know what's the best way to farm for wood, stone, etc. I especially need to know the best way to transport those materials to and from my base since I wanna spend the time getting the resources, not moving them to my base. So any ideas? Should I bother getting a bronto with like 50000 weight just to carry everything in one load? Oh and are quetzals still good since they're so slow Now?

My knowledge of Rag is limited, but I'll see what I can suggest.

I don't know where you are building, but if you are building far away from resources you need, a Quetzal would be handy. It would still be faster than say a Mammoth, and WAY faster than an Anky, Doedic, and Beaver. So I'd say a Quetzal is invaluable. If you are very close to metal, stone, and trees though, you might not need one, but their carry weight and flight is still very useful, even if they are slow. Bronto's carry a ton, but they are even slower than Quetzal's (I think), so only use one if the resources are really close to where you will be building.

Mammoth for Wood, Doedic for Stone, Anky for metal (or a Phoenix potentially, but haven't seen if their weight got any better), and a Megaloceros for Thatch (or you can reuse the mammoth but moose get's more and is much faster). Beaver for the fact it can be your mobile smithy so you can eliminate the time needed ot transfer stuff into your base. You can just bring the smithy/Beaver to the farmer animals and craft there if need be.

This is if you are playing solo. If you aren't, get your tribemates to farm the mats while you do the building.

2 hours ago, TheSnives said:

I'm kinda of a history/fantasy nerd so every time I want to build a base the only design I can imagine is a huge sprawling city. Now, I've recently started on ragnarok and have a trike, argy, Petra, and a bunch of jerboas and I'm ready to start working on my beautiful city. However, I need to know what's the best way to farm for wood, stone, etc. I especially need to know the best way to transport those materials to and from my base since I wanna spend the time getting the resources, not moving them to my base. So any ideas? Should I bother getting a bronto with like 50000 weight just to carry everything in one load? Oh and are quetzals still good since they're so slow Now?

keep us up to date with periodic pics of your progress :)

To answer a few questions, i play singleplayer, no i dont wanna cheat (otherwise why would i be asking), and my base is at 27 lon, 75 lat. There are 1 or 2 forests near me that I might need to build a bridge to but that's not my concern. 

So far I'm thinking I'll tame all the harvesting dinos, maybe a bronto with a platform saddle too, and make a secondary base in the woods where I can craft everything I need then take it back to my base.

For wood and stone...

Wood:
Obtaining a Castoroides  (50% weight of wood) or therizinosaurus (can specialize in wood/meat gathering with power harvesting) will help with wood gathering
A mammoth can carry that wood at 25% of its total weight. So having this follow you and load it up will help the most.

Stone:
doedicurus now have stone weight reduction of 75% and with this can carry a lot more then they used to. And are still the best at mining stone.

2 hours ago, Cataclisto said:

For wood and stone...

Wood:
Obtaining a Castoroides  (50% weight of wood) or therizinosaurus (can specialize in wood/meat gathering with power harvesting) will help with wood gathering
A mammoth can carry that wood at 10% of its total weight. So having this follow you and load it up will help the most.

Stone:
doedicurus now have stone weight reduction of 90%, can carry a lot more then they used to. And are still the best at mining stone.

Are these recent updates? I thought they were still at 75% weight reduction but I haven't really looked or used either in a few days. I'll definitely have to check that out tonight. Thanks for the info. 

Everybody has great suggestions however Beavers have a very fast torpor timer so I may suggest a Thorny Dragon who serve's the same function, can be tamed with mutton, and has a little bit better attacking ability. They are found on the scorched islands. 

Mammoth will get you wood, but also thatch and berries. Wood gets weight reduction.

Thorny will get you wood, thatch, meat, hide and reduces a lot of those raw materials by half. It is also a mobile smithy so you can make stuff as you harvest. A mammoth, doedic, thorny train will knock out behemoth gates in minutes. 

Anky will get you metal at a weight reduction (half for raw metal) but also mines obsidian, crystal, rare mushrooms, berries, flint, thatch, wood, stone. Such a versatile dino.

Doedic will get you the huge stone reduction but also mines some wood and thatch. 

Bronto's are beasts at thatch and berries. They also can get rare flowers and possibly rare mushrooms. 

Angler fish are your silica pearl gatherers.

Theri's are very versatile but extremely hard and long tames. They gather a mass amount of wood, meat, prime meat, berries, thatch, hide, rare flowers, rare mushrooms, and fiber. No weight reduction though so combining with a mammoth is often used. 

A good Quetzal can get upwards of 6k to 7k carry weight but beware of Wyvern spawns. Wyvern's will shred a Quetz fast. 

A direbear is an easier tame, fast, and good meat, berry, hide, prime meat, wood, and thatch gatherer but an excellent fiber gatherer as well.

To start your base I'd suggest, Thorny, Doedic, Mammoth, Direbear. Anky if you want to build in metal anytime fast (you'll need cementing paste for that) but if you'll be happy with stone to start those first 4 will get you there. 

8 hours ago, TheSnives said:

There is an area just west of the blue obelisk where you can see some stone islands bunched together.  Interestingly, you can walk from those islands to the main land. You can also set foundations to be just above the waterline that you wade through making it one of the largest flat spaces on the map currently. Combined with the beach and the islands and the water flat terrain, you can make a very nice base/dock town in that area.

Not quite as flat but still spacious is the area just west slightly nw and sw of the green obelisk.  Some opt to make a castle base on the tall mountain just south of the obelisk then have other structures around it at the base.  However, I read a few days ago the Rag devs plan to now have giga's spawn in that area so it may not be as attractive to build as before for some.

East and slightly south of the blue obelisk is an interesting waterway area that leads to a cave with 3 entry points(water, ground and air). A sort of pirates cove if you will. Some like to build in the cave as well as on the little land spots near it.

In the highlands there is a cave in the area that looks similar to the giants causeway(hexagonal rocks). In the cave are 3 stalags that hand from the roof.  They can have platforms attached to them and thus give yourself an interesting base consideration.

I don't know if you are playing single player or on an unofficial server with mods, but there are also many building/constriction mods that can help you build all manner of interesting combinations of buildings too: steampunk, Castle Keeps, All of Eco's mods(stables mod has some nice architecture pieces in it), and more.

3 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

To start your base I'd suggest, Thorny, Doedic, Mammoth, Direbear. Anky if you want to build in metal anytime fast (you'll need cementing paste for that) but if you'll be happy with stone to start those first 4 will get you there. 

Good to know. I can easily get a doedic and possibly a mammoth right now so I'll definitely do that. Good idea with the thorny too, I'm not in the position to tame take a high level beaver right now so.

3 hours ago, Novarae said:

There is an area just west of the blue obelisk where you can see some stone islands bunched together.  Interestingly, you can walk from those islands to the main land. You can also set foundations to be just above the waterline that you wade through making it one of the largest flat spaces on the map currently. Combined with the beach and the islands and the water flat terrain, you can make a very nice base/dock town in that area.

This is also really good to know. I'm always looking for large flat areas to build towns or castles so I should go look at the area.

20 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Are these recent updates? I thought they were still at 75% weight reduction but I haven't really looked or used either in a few days. I'll definitely have to check that out tonight. Thanks for the info. 

ahh yes your right, its 75% for both mammoth and doed, my mistake (sorry havn't slept for a few days :P)

Archived