How many cores/threads do you need per server?

Sphere

1 hour ago, Toni said:

2 Cores / 4 Threads .... More than that doesn't help much.

Thanks for the answer. Going to run with 9 servers. 3 are pvp in one cluster. 6 are pve in another cluster.

In order to run with 9 servers, 2 of the servers will have to run with 1 core and 2 threads. This allows me to run a pvp cluster of 3, while also having 6 pve servers.

38 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Thanks for the answer. Going to run with 9 servers. 3 are pvp in one cluster. 6 are pve in another cluster.

In order to run with 9 servers, 2 of the servers will have to run with 1 core and 2 threads. This allows me to run a pvp cluster of 3, while also having 6 pve servers.

So i recommend you to give the 1 core / 2 threads to the server which has the least players online. For a Server with 15+ players (or many mods with less players), 1 core won't be enough.

18 hours ago, Toni said:

So i recommend you to give the 1 core / 2 threads to the server which has the least players online. For a Server with 15+ players (or many mods with less players), 1 core won't be enough.

Thinking Scorched Earth and a Custom map could use the 1 core, 3 threads approach. What do you think? Will be stealing some threads from a couple other servers, so some will have 2 cores, 3 threads.

You might be wondering what CPU I am going with. Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, will be overclocking it to achieve better single core perf. I will need to avoid having the cores use infinity fabric to transfer cache.

4 hours ago, Stalefish said:

Ryzen benefits from having fast RAM to speed up the infinity fabric. Read up on compability tho since it can be tricky. For 9 servers id recommend a 128GB kit of RAM 8x8 sticks but ideally you would have sevral machines linked together.

Thankfully I won't need all that ram on launch. In fact when I open, I won't even have the expansion maps released to run. Unless they come soon. So far from testing, the server opens with a need of 6 GB ram, and then drops down to 1.5 GB. At launch, per server, there won't be a desperate need of system ram. But I will be able to with my job, overcome that issue by expanding.

Archived