Are People Who Places an Excessively Amount of Pillars in PvE, Really at Fault?

MackanMygga

11 hours ago, Ocicat said:

One of the biggest problems I see with the pillaring issue is that there isn't really an incentive or benefit to having someone close to you, so you pillar around your base. Then you pillar a bit rather out to deal with render issues and dropped performance. Oh and for anti trolling so someone doesn't build walls around you and block your land dinos in. Then you get a noob who just has to put his thatch house right on the best metal spawn in the area. So now you're pillaring resource nodes. And it keeps going and going. Player will keep finding reasons to pillar, mostly because this is the only recourse a PvE player has (PvP is it's own beast in this regard).

But what can be done? Well they made single pillars decay faster, even with more pillars attached, so players now use fence foundations, ladders, or the dreaded spawn blocking ceiling tiles. Even if Wildcard found a way to code pillars that this couldn't be done, players would just use foundations. Reduce single foundation timers? Cool, now we'll add 3 walls, a door and ceiling with a bed...everywhere! And now spawns and nodes are being blocked like crazy. 

The only good solution I've seen so far is that players are given a flag of sorts to put down to build. They can build in that area only. That'd cut down on people trolling (wouldn't get rid of it entirely though) but you'd still have people building on resource nodes. Wildcard could then make any node spawn unable to be built on. Of course with how spread some mats are, they'd have to start bunching up resource nodes to make it effective and leave plenty of building space for players. All in all it's a lot for Wildcard to undertake when there are still so many bugs with the game, releasing DLCs, etc. I really don't see this changing in the near future unfortunately.

I think without taking drastic actions in redesigning the land claiming mechanic, or something else. It can never be fully ''Fixed''. All they can do is improve it with smaller changes.

Honestly one way to fix this would be to ban every single player who places pillars for the purpose of claiming land, and also disable building on metal nodes, beaver dams, etc. And optimize their freaking game already. Heck if i didn't experience performance drops when I'm surrounded by big bases, i wouldn't pillar around my base. I'd be happy to have neighbours

You know. Eventually people would stop placing pillars out of fear of getting banned. And then there would be no issues.

1 hour ago, MackanMygga said:

You know. Eventually people would stop placing pillars out of fear of getting banned. And then there would be no issues.

Totally agree, but unfortunately Ark is viewed as a 'PVP' game to the devs. There's nowhere in the rules that say 'no pillaring' just because who cares if that happened in PVP? They'd just be blown up.

They need to start caring about PVE more, and this is only 1 of the reasons why.

More crying lol. I have my area pillared correctly, so I dont have to worry about a pillar getting placed in my base. The simple fact is the devs dont really care that much about pve. Yeah they made shorter timers and made foundations much shorter but there will always be a way to claim land. On the offical I play I'm not a jerk, I help people out, even give people land when another tribe kited them and killed all their tames. However if you dont claim some land, someone else will. There are areas like blue ob on any ragnarok server that are packed with bases. So many you dc half the time. The highlands are so built up ovis hardly spawn. So unless you want to deal with unplayable areas or dead dino spawns you better pillar.

I used to get mad about some of the huge pillar fields on my Ragnarok server until I understood what some of the other players were doing.  A fair amount of players are protecting important spawns (like sheep spawns) from being eliminated through people building foundations.  I pillared off a medium sized area around my base as the area was getting really crowded with bases and I wanted to make sure we (and I) had a decent sized area to hunt and pull from for tames.  Sometimes the pillar fields are more about maintaining the ecology than just being greedy.

Our tribe has the entire swamp island claimed we use the big mountain portion as a stone gathering area as well as pillered off the entire stone area to prevent anyone blocking the stone. And two other tribes pillered the ent8re flat land to save the wild dinos for meat spawns. Also we have built a massive water pin and built on the entire temple...it looks good. But we have to piller the entire island also to prevent another tribe from building to help stop base lag...theres at least 10 to 15 tribes near blue on that dc constantly due to massive barns....so yea if more of the tribes built p illers the area wouldn't be a dead zone.

On 10/7/2017 at 7:21 PM, RogueShoelace said:

Maybe you ppl should have claimed your own area. Now instead of just complaining in game you are on a forum doing the same thing. If you play pve build pillars asap and place them. Stop crying

Did you read my post? I said that some people transfer characters and creatures, and can pillar the best areas before everyone else.

Your argument is completely countered with this.

Not to mention pillars should not be used to claim land. But unfortunately it is. I'd rather ask nicely for people to move and if they don't i live with it or move myself. That's how any conflict in PvE should be dealt with. Everyone will become much friendlier this way, and are more likely to come to a decision both parties are happy with.

One thing not mention here is the amount of players per server. Not the amount of players that can play at the same time but the amount of survivors that can be created. As far as I know there is no cap on the number of survivors that can be created. So this as its own problem. Making it more of a land grab issue as you need to get your pillars out so no one can come and build  close to you and prevent you from expanding. More players per server mean more Dinos tamed, more lag and what comes with that is the Dino cap being reach and now starts the name calling and disputes.

A map can take some players but there is a limit that should be cap at some point.  But that would difficult to do.

The only thing I can see for PvE is cooperation between tribes. We all want to do are own thing but with the Dino cap issue that will be reach eventually that is the only way you will be able to reach the end game. 

On 10/9/2017 at 6:22 AM, Danouk said:

The only thing I can see for PvE is cooperation between tribes. We all want to do are own thing but with the Dino cap issue that will be reach eventually that is the only way you will be able to reach the end game. 

The problem is, not all tribes share the same ideals as to "wha we want to do" are. Some people want to breed the best dinos, some want
to make cool bases, some want to do bosses battles, others want to just make everybody else miserable by trolling. 

It doesn't matter if it's PVP or PVE, you're going to have 1 to 3 tribes vying to be server "Alpha", the only difference is how this is achieved.
In PVP it's whomever is the most powerful, most aggressive, the most intelligent, the most skilled. In PVE, it's who has the most dinos,
the most land and the most resources. There are ways of having direct PVP in PVE, but you're rarely gonna see two tribes openly agree to
warfare. Instead, they go the passive aggressive route with pillaring.

When the game finally launched, we had a lot of tribes leave for new official clusters, those of left kept on, business as usual. One of the
better off tribes decided they wanted to establish themselves as Alpha, so they began pillaring large swaths of land, claiming abandoned
bases for their dinos, then later their vaults. To prevent people from gaining access to their prizes, they even built houses around them.

Which is fine, finder's keeper's and what not, but they don't just stop there. If you got a parcel of land they want, they will pillar around you
in order to make you leave so they can grab it. My own tribe was effected by this, when one of my members unknowingly grabbed a spot
of land they had claimed they wanted.. We're on the center, he's housed on one of the horns of blue obby island, and the response to his
actions was to pillar the entire lagoon, the surrounding coastline around his base, and down the coast, cutting off 2 other tribes, just so
none of them could expand. Their response to this? "it's how the game is." They even tried to blackmail us into an alliance to get the
land back, and now they're intending to take the whole of blue obby island for their hq. 

As bad as ALL of that is, as frustrating, annoying and selfish as it is, the devs have to be VERY careful with any changes they make to the
pilar system, simply because one wrong move or miscalculated tweak could cause major issues. The last time they made adjustments to
the system, my tribe lost several dinosaurs due to animals spawning in the base. In the water pen we have, we had 2 alpha sharks spawn
right into the middle of the cage, killing all of our dolphins and lower level tames before the bigger animals could kill them. Granted it, this
may not have been directly due to the dev's tweaking the pillars, it is just as likely those animals appeared because of the server restart.

I don't know which is the cause of it, but I'd rather deal with spam and timers than having to breed and train even more dinos due to losing
them constantly over broken pillar mechanics

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Our tribe has the entire swamp island claimed we use the big mountain portion as a stone gathering area as well as pillered off the entire stone area to prevent anyone blocking the stone. And two other tribes pillered the ent8re flat land to save the wild dinos for meat spawns. Also we have built a massive water pin and built on the entire temple...it looks good. But we have to piller the entire island also to prevent another tribe from building to help stop base lag...theres at least 10 to 15 tribes near blue on that dc constantly due to massive barns....so yea if more of the tribes built p illers the area wouldn't be a dead zone.

Water *Pen.  Saying water pin is completely wrong and infuriating.

Archived